rei

Donation drive and odd jobs

»ACP    33376
1 hour ago, rei said:

(Take note murica, thats what happens when you have a divided left voting two differetn people) 

No longer donating my $25 since rei is an asshat. Good job. If not having a divided left is so great, why don't you come move to America then? Oh that's right, because America sucks balls (from a liberal point of view).

America is the only major country in the world with a polarized obstructionist two-party system. This is preventing us from solving virtually every problem that we have right now. Everything from gun control to the Zika virus is completely unsolvable because neither side wants to do what is best from their country. Rather their top priority is to stop the "other side" from getting what they want. This was not the vision of our political system that our founding fathers had.

You have no idea how lucky you are to live in a country where you don't have to worry about which country your administration will decide to bomb next, which special interest group they will succumb to, and which social programs will get cut. It must be nice to not have to worry about your "leftist" president starting new foreign conflicts, punishing whistleblowers, and continuing to allow unlimited campaign contributions after running on doing exactly the opposite. The US hasn't had a president as liberal as someone like Justin Trudeau in about 75 years. And yet somehow you come up with a way to blame this all on the "divided left." There is no divided left. We have right-wingers like Obama and Mitt Romney, super right-wingers like Ted Cruz, and actual leftists like Jill Stein and Bernie Sanders. Divided left? We barely even have a left.

+rei+    34403

We functionally have a two party system, as any time a third party has attempted to attain relevance it's only hurt their side of the spectrum with split votes. There's a reason we've only had two governing parties in our history. Things do get done though because a majority leader in our system has effectively dictatorial power - if you do not agree with your own party's votes in the house of commons you will be thrown out of the party. 

I'm talking about Harper, who was PM for ten years, not Trudeau - where we got such wonderful policies as "cut funding for everything that isn't oil", "make it illegal to publish scientific research that advocates climate change", "ban reporters from your press conference if they publish anything negative", and "spend taxpayer money on attack ads on the competition"

Trudeau is awesome. 

»ACP    33376
35 minutes ago, rei said:

We functionally have a two party system, as any time a third party has attempted to attain relevance it's only hurt their side of the spectrum with split votes.

I don't totally understand how canadian politics works, but it appears that in 2015, there were more than just two major candidates, and there was no spoiler candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_2015

The third party got about 20% of the popular vote, which seems pretty significant. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Conspire    2389
14 minutes ago, ACP said:

I don't totally understand how canadian politics works, but it appears that in 2015, there were more than just two major candidates, and there was no spoiler candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_2015

The third party got about 20% of the popular vote, which seems pretty significant. Am I interpreting this correctly?

The third party (NDP) was definitely a major candidate, though by their own admission Harper not being re-elected was considered a victory.

Leading up to election day the Liberal party urged voters to "vote strategically" to oust Harper.  Essentially telling voters not to waste their votes on the NDP.  This was a pretty good strategy as the nation was getting pretty weary of Harper.  His smear campaigns really early on in the election also drained public support, in my opinion.

Seats in the House of Commons are what makes up the government's power.  When you vote in Canada you're voting for who gets to hold the seat for your area.  It's possible for the popular vote to be 30% NDP, 30% Liberal and 40% Conservative, meaning although the majority of people didn't want the Conservatives to hold the seat they still won because the non-Conservative vote was split. 

In 2011 the Conservatives only held 44% of the popular vote but amassed 53% of the seats in the House of Commons.  A big portion of their success can probably be attributed to splitting of votes between the Liberals and NDP.  I think a lot of voters didn't want the Liberal leader to be Prime Minister but a significant portion of them also didn't want to move as far left as the NDP.

If you compare statistics to the 2011 election you'll see that the total Conservative votes only dropped 200,000 nationwide.  That's not a very big number.  Conservative support essentially remained the same.  The total vote increased from 13.2 million to 16 million.

Previously apathetic voters likely became "tired of Harper" voters and it's entirely possible a strategic voting campaign influenced them to vote Liberal.  However it should also be noted a handful of Trudeau's policies (like pro-legalization of marijuana, pro-refugees and increased financial support for med-low income families) would also have very likely encouraged previous apathetic voters to support the Liberals.

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34403

Alright straight up because my car drama got a bit worse - if someone's willing to loan me some money repaid by sep 30 with 10% interest send me a msg 

Haruki    9141

And I'd take probation
I don't want that T.I. and Vick vacation
Private plane, pick location
I'm going to the bank to make a big donation

• Upvote 1

Mascis    4424

i donated $5 3 years ago and never got a loyalist title

rei you a bum

»ACP    33376
3 minutes ago, Mascis said:

i donated $5 3 years ago and never got a loyalist title

rei you a bum

I decided to take your word for it and give you loyalist.

• Upvote 1