Laser Cat

So Britain looks like it's going to leave the EU

Myth    95
2 minutes ago, Monahan said:

i read it as myth saying that he was in favor of leaving, not that the numbers of the victory itself were overwhelming, although its hard to tell with sentence fragments

Brexit had a huge support from Trump supporters. It's fucking insane how much we wanted them to win. James Cameron is talking about stepping down because of it.

+Sophocles    3079

At least the gap was fairly big. There were reports that the heavy rainfall in London (heavily remain favoured) reduced voter turnout by 2-3%. If the world economy tanked for the next few months over a bit of rain I would've flipped my shit.

Myth    95
Just now, Monahan said:

LOL you mean david cameron?

rofl. He's cancelling Avatar 2 obv. But yeah. David Cameron.

Myth    95
1 minute ago, Sophocles said:

At least the gap was fairly big. There were reports that the heavy rainfall in London (heavily remain favoured) reduced voter turnout by 2-3%. If the world economy tanked for the next few months over a bit of rain I would've flipped my shit.

Gold is up 8% as of tonight. Bad sign for the UK. 

+Sophocles    3079

If there's one bright spark on the horizon it's Cameron quitting

Tho BoJo at the helm is an uncomfortable idea

• Upvote 3

+Paraliel+    8032

At least you're free of Schrodinger's immigrants now; living off your welfare system while simultaneously stealing your jobs. :^)

• Upvote 12

zubby    234

Pretty shitty to wake up to, voted remain myself. What was interesting was the voter age groups broken down with the younger generations voting to remain and the older generations voting to leave (percent wise). Also looks like we'll lose Ireland and Scotland, seeing as they both voted stay, and will be wanting independence votes.

Myth    95
2 minutes ago, zubby said:

Pretty shitty to wake up to, voted remain myself. What was interesting was the voter age groups broken down with the younger generations voting to remain and the older generations voting to leave (percent wise). Also looks like we'll lose Ireland and Scotland, seeing as they both voted stay, and will be wanting independence votes.

That's not interesting at all. Of course younger people are going to vote remain or whatever is the most liberal. The youth vote counts for shit, look at the states and Bernie. I'll be watching the UK like a hawk from now on to see how badly it might get, but as of right now its not looking good economically. 

• Downvote 11

+Sophocles    3079
1 minute ago, zubby said:

I don't know about scottish independence, another referendum is very likely to happen (it basically depends on how the SNP fancies their chances as they have all the reasons they need to hold another one) but as political divides go, one over the EU is not the most attractive to voters + scottish voters might not be interested in another referendum in the near future.

The Irish border is a really big issue tho, one that didn't get enough attention in the campaign

+rei+    34681
13 minutes ago, Myth said:

That's not interesting at all. Of course younger people are going to vote remain or whatever is the most liberal. The youth vote counts for shit, look at the states and Bernie. I'll be watching the UK like a hawk from now on to see how badly it might get, but as of right now its not looking good economically. 

Mild counterargument as the youth vote got Trudeau elected up here. 

So uh, pro "stay" people, especially those claiming this helps the "working man" - how does the poor working man buy groceries when your currency nosedives and trade isn't free any more? 

»ACP    33421

Great decision UK! Hopefully next, Florida will secede from the United States. Having to be part of the US is totally unfair. We should be free to make our own decisions. How else are we going to control our immigration? We've got people flooding in from places like Cuba and Puerto Rico, and our federal government is doing nothing about it! Then we all have to pay federal income taxes for services that other states use. Ridiculous! Why should we be responsible for paying the federal debt? Us good Floridians have nothing to do with that. Did you know that some people in congress are from states other than Florida? Why should we let people not from Florida vote on laws that also apply to Florida? That's not democracy. Once Florida secedes, I'm sure it will prove to be just as good of an outcome as UK leaving the EU.

• Upvote 17

Aaron    2047

Read the age breakdown for the results. 50+ and mainly the 65+ won this vote for the leave campaign. Basically old people living off pensions who are probably somewhat racist and out of touch with the real implications of this result. And they don't have to live with it for nearly as much of time as we do. 

Voting leave does NOT mean you're racist but anyone who tries to argue the leave campgin did not have VERY racist propaganda is a fucking irritating thick piece of shit. The amount of back tracking and retracting the leave campaign has had to do due to its radical racist tendencies is beyond a joke. 

I also loved reading the breakdown in terms of academics to remain votes. Basically by the time you get to university degrees, 70% of people+ wants to remain. People who only had high school qualifications, majority wanted to leave. Make of it what you will. 

The UK already had so many recessions and control in their EU membership too. oh well fuck it. My families rich anyway, it won't affect us to the extent we will struggle; and thats the sad thing. The people who've voted for it mostly are on the poorer side of the spectrum and they will get hit the hardest. :(

I have no faith in this public or country. My only hope is with Cameron gone, we get a better and fairer NHS contract but I'm sure there will be an upcoming recession and the NHS will get fucked. 

fuck this I'm out of here. Now I'm SERIOUSLY deliberating over countries a UK doctor can move to in a years time! 

• Upvote 7

+Sophocles    3079
12 minutes ago, Aaron said:

fuck this I'm out of here. Now I'm SERIOUSLY deliberating over countries a UK doctor can move to in a years time!

Speaking of, 10% of the NHS workers are foreign EU nationals

DarkBlaze557    2106

As someone who hasn't been paying attention to recent politics, anyone care to summarize this whole thing?

»ACP    33421

My post is actually pretty accurate. UK is part of an economic alliance called the European Union (like the United States), and the EU can pass laws that also apply everywhere including the UK (sort of how congress can pass laws that apply in all 50 states). UK decided that they wanted to leave the union, similar to if one of our 50 states decided that they wanted to leave the union. From a technical standpoint the EU is not at all like the United States in the sense that each member is considered its own country on paper, whereas the fifty states are not, but everything else is pretty similar.

• Upvote 3

+rei+    34681
5 minutes ago, DarkBlaze557 said:

As someone who hasn't been paying attention to recent politics, anyone care to summarize this whole thing?

UK leaving the EU for reasons (some reasons might be race / immigration motivated) - this means the UK loses a lot of trade benefits which is kinda a big thing for an island, and the EU loses the relative strength of having the UK as a member nation. Futures and british currency are down because of it, with people picking up the relatively undisturbed US dollar and gold. 

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34681

and yes ACP's post was brilliant

+Gemstone Mine    2600

well, it being legal to leave the eu is actually a huge difference when it isn't legal for a state to secede, but yeah, it was pretty good

+Gemstone Mine    2600

I think in the long run the eu loses significantly more than the uk does, i wouldn't be suprised if we look again in 5 years and find that britains doing about as well but the eus going under. I doubt it's that extreme, but it is a major blow to the eu.

+rei+    34681

the UK doesn't bring THAT much to the table 

+Gemstone Mine    2600

even discounting the fact that the uk both made up almost 20% of the eu's gdp and had one of the eus two permenant security council vetos, its less about the actual effect of the uk leaving and more about the message it sends to other eu nations who feel like they are holding up the bottom half so to speak.

• Upvote 5

NB96    857

I think theres a pretty long document on my laptop at home arguing why Britain should leave the EU. I might post it on here. 

Is there some sort of limit on how long a post can be on this site? If there is I might not be able to in one post because it is very very long.

I think it would be interesting to see what people who think Britain should have stayed would argue in response. It might spark a big debate on this thread if people think the document is any good/bad.

I can't do it now because I'm on holiday and the laptop is at home (returning home tommorow afternoon as it happens) but I'll see if I can find it (my dad has a sea of word documents he likes to read about politics stuff). If I do manage to get the document onto dgz it'll probably be over the weekend, or maybe early next week depending on when I can do it.

Edited by NB96

+rei+    34681

Go for it, though it'd probably be better to get to more succinct points than dropping a massive document. If your convictions are well founded you'd be able to just share them and hold them up to scrutiny. 

unrelated. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBpsyFbEOs

• Upvote 1

NB96    857
6 minutes ago, rei said:

Go for it, though it'd probably be better to get to more succinct points than dropping a massive document. If your convictions are well founded you'd be able to just share them and hold them up to scrutiny. 

unrelated. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBpsyFbEOs

I'll have to read it over but if there's a summary section that covers all the main arguments i'll maybe just put that up instead then.