European WCQ 2016 - Berlin

-

15/07/2016 - 17/07/2016

-

Estrel Berlin
Sonnenallee 225,
12057 Berlin,
Germany

Euros is next weekend, figured it deserved a thread, post for meetups, discussion etc. This is the last WCQ of the season, then we'll be building up to W-O-R-L-D-S

Blacklisted    1329

It's the last WCQ right? Should be interesting to see how this season wraps up.

I don't know many Europeans outside of the few I met in Lille last year, but I'm cheering them on and hope one of them win it !

DarthChocoboz    292

I'm staying in Hotel Nova if anyone else is staying there. I'm flying in on friday morning and as usual me and all the irish guys are ready for the craic saturday and sunday night. Also we have a cube if anyone wants to come and play

zubby    234

I'm with a bunch of UK people about 30min walk away form venue or 12min by tram, some of us getting there Thursday, I'm arriving Friday. 

Mr Cook    473

Yeah we're in 'All In Hostel' which is in the Friedrichshain district, its closer to Berlin city centre than it is to the venue

Looking forward to seeing everyone, I think between Glasgow/Edinburgh we have ~15 going #HendoYGO represent

»PJ    4183

Have fun everyone, Euros is usually a special experience :)

Coverage-wise we'll be having some written content on Friday (including Feature Matches of the Last-Chance Qualifiers) before kicking off the live stream on Saturday.

• Upvote 5

Me.    58
19 hours ago, PJ said:

Coverage-wise we'll be having some written content on Friday (including Feature Matches of the Last-Chance Qualifiers) before kicking off the live stream on Saturday.

We're also live-streaming on Facebook this weekend, in addition to YouTube/Twitch. No excuse to miss out now ;)

Not actually responding to the quote, just want the notification thing to appear.

PJ, I have a few questions about euros that I don't feel were sufficiently answered in the faq. In the faq it says "All bags will be checked upon entrance to the tournament hall", what exactly does this mean? What can I bring and what can't I? Are you for example going to overreact on shampoo in unlabeled bottles since it could contain explosive substances (I remember hearing about a YCS in NA where you couldn't bring any liquids inside the venue)?

The faq also says "Duelists may only remove their Decks, Game Mats and anything else required for playing while in the tournament hall, all other items must remain in their bag", which has be asking two things. Firstly, clarification on what exactly is the tournament hall. Is it the entire venue? Or just a big area where the playing is done? And what exactly do you consider required for playing? Could I for example argue that taking my water bottle out of my bag to drink is required for playing? Or is it actually something really strict? Does it prohibit the use of cellphones in the area? etc. And do I get to just circumvent the entire thing by just putting the thing I need but are not required for playing in my pockets instead?

I remember at previous European championships, you were not required to bring translations to any foreign cards and could just have the judges run over with the card database on their tablets. But I'm not finding anything about this on the event webpage this year so I want to make sure, do I have to bring translations for foreign cards this year?

Mr Cook    473
20 hours ago, PJ said:

We're also live-streaming on Facebook this weekend, in addition to YouTube/Twitch. No excuse to miss out now ;)

Good to hear, the European events always have a high quality of coverage (both Stream and written) - and I think after the issues with the NAWCQ, this is even more apparent, keep up the good work and I'll see ya there, here's to a great event :DD

DarthChocoboz    292

PJ where do we fill in our requests for feature matches when we have sweet ass decks

Blacklisted    1329

How are translations enforced at european events? Surely it becomes a logistical nightmare to have every player have a localised or even english copy of every card they run

Me.    58
6 minutes ago, Blacklisted said:

How are translations enforced at european events? Surely it becomes a logistical nightmare to have every player have a localised or even english copy of every card they run

It's been differing a bit between different head judges from my experience, but you'd generally get by by having a print-out of a picture of the card in English (sometimes hand-written notes of the card text is enough). When I went to euros last time (2014, amsterdam) you didn't have to bring translations at all and could simply call a judge to run over with a tablet to show the text to your opponent using konami's card database. Would be nice if someone would confirm if that's the case this year too, but I'm waiting for PJ to reply to my above post for that.

DarthChocoboz    292

Well they don't print cards in everyones language so the need for translations is in my opinion retarded. Even if you speak english you might not be able to read english.

»PJ    4183
3 hours ago, Me. said:

PJ, I have a few questions about euros that I don't feel were sufficiently answered in the faq. In the faq it says "All bags will be checked upon entrance to the tournament hall", what exactly does this mean? What can I bring and what can't I? Are you for example going to overreact on shampoo in unlabeled bottles since it could contain explosive substances (I remember hearing about a YCS in NA where you couldn't bring any liquids inside the venue)?

The faq also says "Duelists may only remove their Decks, Game Mats and anything else required for playing while in the tournament hall, all other items must remain in their bag", which has be asking two things. Firstly, clarification on what exactly is the tournament hall. Is it the entire venue? Or just a big area where the playing is done? And what exactly do you consider required for playing? Could I for example argue that taking my water bottle out of my bag to drink is required for playing? Or is it actually something really strict? Does it prohibit the use of cellphones in the area? etc. And do I get to just circumvent the entire thing by just putting the thing I need but are not required for playing in my pockets instead?

I remember at previous European championships, you were not required to bring translations to any foreign cards and could just have the judges run over with the card database on their tablets. But I'm not finding anything about this on the event webpage this year so I want to make sure, do I have to bring translations for foreign cards this year?

Regarding the security measures, I can't give an accurate answer right now as I haven't been working directly on the tournament (I'm the web guy basically). If anybody here was in Prague then maybe they could fill you in on how the on-site experience was. I believe the procedures are the same as before for the most part.

Translations are generally required, but since international events default to English, having EN-only cards is fine.

2 hours ago, Mr Cook said:

Good to hear, the European events always have a high quality of coverage (both Stream and written) - and I think after the issues with the NAWCQ, this is even more apparent, keep up the good work and I'll see ya there, here's to a great event :DD

:)

2 hours ago, DarthChocoboz said:

PJ where do we fill in our requests for feature matches when we have sweet ass decks

Show up on-site, go 3-0 and bug the commentators ;)

2 hours ago, Blacklisted said:

YCS & Continental events in Europe fall under the category of international events, and the official language for these is English.

Having access to the official card database on your phone, or a printout of each card in your Deck in EN are the most common solutions.

Blacklisted    1329
2 hours ago, PJ said:

Having access to the official card database on your phone, or a printout of each card in your Deck in EN are the most common solutions.

So we're allowed to use the Konami databse on phone as reference for translations now?

But yeah as been stated, having a printout of each card in EN seems like such a nightmare given that a huge number of participants may be using foreign cards and might not even be able to read English. Even at each countries own events, making people bring localised translations seems like a hassle. They should definitely allow players to use the databse as a reference.

Also I'd like to think that asking for a translation should strictly only to clarify a cards effect in which asking a judge who has the database to be enough. Asking for translations should never be a subtle attempt at fishing a free win anyway

zubby    234

Normally you can ask a judge and they will give you a translation for it, though in a lot of cases people either side may help. 

Regarding your question about the tournament hall, this was just the dueling place, the trading area you could have your bags in. However this may have been due to the venue layout, so may differ for euros. Also at Prague the bags where checked when you entered the entrance to the venue and then you put them in a cloakroom, I assume they would discard Alcohol and this in that nature. I'd recommend trying to get a clear backbag/drawstring bag beforehand, just saves a lot of hassle. (Also if you stock up on some you can make some side profit :P )

• Upvote 1

»PJ    4183

Clear backpacks were a new fashion item after Prague ;)

As for translations, I would assume that the official database would be a valid source. Wikia of course, is not official.

So the Spyral theme artwork, and some general hints of what the cards do were reveled on stream. Definitely a james bond theme, 4 cards to be released in TDIL and more confirmed for invasion of venom. As to the hints, courtesy of regiruler from pojo:

Card 1:
"This guy is kinda the main hero of the deck"
"He rewards you for using information correctly"
"Beat Stratos up in a bar fight" - Searches or is an anti searcher (Mind Crush like?)
"Other cards revolve around this particular card"

Card 2:
"Machine Duplication is bananas with this card" - Machine Type, >500 ATK
"There's an omission of once per turn on this card on purpose"
"Works very well at making sure your agent never goes unprepared into the field"
"If you're playing SPYRAL, you're going to want multiple of this card."
"Not a secret rare"

Card 3:
"Works very well with your agent"
"Gives you information and lets you manipulate that information in limited amounts"
"Can give you surprise bonuses that catch your opponent off-guard"
"You'll want to get into a habit of playing this card before you play your agent, because it will make your agent significantly better if you know what is coming up"

Card 4:
"Very very powerful card"
"Doesn't just work with the agent"
"There is a forbidden card with a similar effect"

"There's a particular number monster with a random outcome in dragons of legend 3. It is possible to just summon it and change your game plan based on what happens" - Number 78: Numbers Archive

• Upvote 1

Blacklisted    1329

gerry90, josh schmidt, norman wilde, massimiliano santoro, raphael neven, tom paine and alpay topped !

»Satchmo    3220

That clutch as FUCK Joker search. Never change Europe.

chris5462    65

Solid finals, really happy pepe won it.