NB96

Barclays Premier League 2016/17

Aaron    1978
1 hour ago, Winter Multi said:

i doubt griezman would go to utd over chelsea or city 

and thats if he was coming to england which i highly doubt he is

just need to beat boro to guarantee t4, come on

Exactly. 

The big one is if Sanchez moves, whoever gets him probably wins the league.  Lukaku will be one to watch out for too. I think hes unattractive from a media perspective but he will be a very very effective purchase. 

Spurs are one world-class player away from winning the league themselves. City really need to win it next season regardless. 

---------------------

Looking at the squads, we've played far above expectations. Taking into account our January/February absolute meltdown, its ridiculous we're still in top 4 contention and a credit to Klopp. Defensive reinforcements, tidying up the Striking options and finally reinforcing with some depth for Europe will be a HUGE improvement for us. Van Dijk seems like our best option given we're in love with Southampton.  

In reality GK/CB/LB/RB bar Matip can all be improved on. Clyne is fairly dependable but has his moments of weakness. Moreno has to be moved on. Sakho too (purely due to the fall out, not talent). Lovren really should be third of fourth choice. Gomez should be a surprise next season, not someone we depend on from the outset. In goal Mignolet has been excellent lately but we could do with loaning out our other GK and buying a new one. I hate coming into every fucking season depending on a confidence broken GK... having faith in them and then they flop. We've done it for 3-4 seasons now and no title winner in history has been built around a GK like that. 

In midfield we can always do with a Lucas replacement but in all honesty we have so much quality here, we can get by.

In attack we just need to sort out the Sturridge situation and buy in someone who can offer us pace like Mane does (not an easy ask). 

We've proven this season in big games, we're fantastic. We have the goal scoring output as good as anyone but we lack pace and incisiveness when Mane isn't here.. and a lot of the time that wins against the smaller teams. We could also do with keeping our eye out for a long term successor for Coutinho as surely Barcelona or Madrid will come in for him in the next few years. 

• Upvote 1

NB96    779

i doubt griezman would go to utd over chelsea or city 

and thats if he was coming to england which i highly doubt he is

just need to beat boro to guarantee t4, come on

Yeah the Griezmann rumors hae died down lately. The new big rumor is that Rodriguez has signed a pre-contract with United. I don't see how Rodriguez and Griezmann could fit together so it's probably one or the other.

I think we will target Rodriguez and Lukaku as attackers. According to GFFN we have made contact over Bernardo Silva too but who knows.

Faint    5513

Lukaku wont go to utd qhen mourinho is there lol

NB96    779
29 minutes ago, Winter Multi said:

Lukaku wont go to utd qhen mourinho is there lol

I'm not so sure. I haven't heard any suggestion of bad blood between them. Rather, I've read that Lukaku respects Mourinho for allowing him to leave and make a name for himself elsewhere when it became clear he wasn't first choice at Chelsea. People said the same thing about Mata when Mourinho first arrived, don't forget.

The alternative of course is that we spunk loads of cash of Belotti. Massive potential but I'd want to see him the do the business for another season first.

Either way we are 100% signing a striker. No way Mourinho allows Rashford or Martial to lead the line when Mourinho needs to make an impact next season. I still think season 3 is when he can really push for all competitions. His transfer last summer stopped the rot, now he needs to build on this next season, even if he doesn't win the title show progress: improve home win %, attacking football, improve results vs top 6 and no more six at the back when the going gets tough. This season I could understand because he's obviously found that our squad was weaker than he thought, but he'll have made the team nearly his own by next season.

Edited by NB96

Faint    5513
21 hours ago, NB96 said:

I'm not so sure. I haven't heard any suggestion of bad blood between them. Rather, I've read that Lukaku respects Mourinho for allowing him to leave and make a name for himself elsewhere when it became clear he wasn't first choice at Chelsea. People said the same thing about Mata when Mourinho first arrived, don't forget.

The alternative of course is that we spunk loads of cash of Belotti. Massive potential but I'd want to see him the do the business for another season first.

Either way we are 100% signing a striker. No way Mourinho allows Rashford or Martial to lead the line when Mourinho needs to make an impact next season. I still think season 3 is when he can really push for all competitions. His transfer last summer stopped the rot, now he needs to build on this next season, even if he doesn't win the title show progress: improve home win %, attacking football, improve results vs top 6 and no more six at the back when the going gets tough. This season I could understand because he's obviously found that our squad was weaker than he thought, but he'll have made the team nearly his own by next season.

Thing is that there are very few players in that Utd squad that are "sir alex ferguson united" quality

literally

Bailey

De Gea

Mata

Martial

Mikytarian

Pogba

And fellaini still starts which says it all

Faint    5513

(discounting ibra cos he wont be there next year)

NB96    779

Thing is that there are very few players in that Utd squad that are "sir alex ferguson united" quality

literally

Bailey

De Gea

Mata

Martial

Mikytarian

Pogba

And fellaini still starts which says it all

I mean our squad sucks but we knew this since August. Moyes and LVG were poor in the transfer market. Mourinho signed 4 players, three of whom are on that list and the fourth you quite rightfully discounted given his injury. I'm sure his next few signings will work out too, even though I'd rather sign Silva than Rodriguez for instance.

I still don't expect Mourinho to win the title next season (not that I don't expect him to try though), he just needs to build on what he's started with 3-4 more quality signings. I think 18/19 is when he will put the final cherries on top and really challenge on all fronts. He needs 5-6 signings more yet, and that can't happen in one summer. The De Gea to Real Madrid rumors and the injury to Zlatan have really harmed our transfer plans. Otherwise it would be quite simple: get a DM, LB, and 1-2 attack-minded players of real quality. Options like Mendy, Gaya, Rose, Bertrand, Ricardo Rodriguez, Fabinho, Paredes, Dier, Silva, James Rodriguez, Griezmann, Aubameyang, Sanchez, Belotti, Morata etc. So the options are definitely out there and I hope Mourinho has a clear plan, even if some of those targets are harder to get than others (Griezmann, Sanchez, Aubameyang in particular).

Buying Pogba and trying to convert him to a playmaker in a double pivot is frustrating though. Do that on someone who doesn't cost a world record fee. Pogba should be in his ideal position, left of a midfield three. But we all know Mourinho likes 4-2-3-1 as his main system, switching to 4-3-3 for tougher opponents ands I've no doubt that this is what he is building towards with us too.

If we ge CL football and somehow persuade Griezmann to join us, 3-5-2 would be strong next season with just four signings to make it work (5 if De Gea leaves). Rashford and Griezmann are both at their best in a two striker system, Pogba and Herrera are both best in a three CM system:

Rashford/Martial - Griezmann/Auba

LWB - Pogba - DM - Herrera - Valencia

Rojo - Bailly - CB

De Gea

But this is just wishful thinking. I don't think Mourinho wants a 3/5 at the back. We were linked with Auba today which just confirms to me that no matter who we sign, one of those 4 will be a striker.

Edited by NB96

Faint    5513

Martial is far better than Rashford and a far more promising talent.

NB96    779
1 minute ago, Winter Multi said:

Well Martial had a poor season and I think Rashford is a really promising British talent but either way I just forgot to put him into that 3-5-2 system. They're young so I don't see why they couldn't rotate.

Also Martial's off the ball movement is significantly worse than Rashford's. It's Martial's biggest weakness right now.

Edited by NB96

+Urthor    10206

Given Jose's player stocks come end of season who knows if he should be selling anyone if injury strikes again like it did this year.  Maybe Martial, but certainly he shouldn't part way with any midfielders, Fellaini on the bench is not that bad.

Faint    5513
On Mon May 15 2017 at 7:45 PM, Aaron said:

Exactly. 

The big one is if Sanchez moves, whoever gets him probably wins the league.  Lukaku will be one to watch out for too. I think hes unattractive from a media perspective but he will be a very very effective purchase. 

Spurs are one world-class player away from winning the league themselves. City really need to win it next season regardless. 

---------------------

Looking at the squads, we've played far above expectations. Taking into account our January/February absolute meltdown, its ridiculous we're still in top 4 contention and a credit to Klopp. Defensive reinforcements, tidying up the Striking options and finally reinforcing with some depth for Europe will be a HUGE improvement for us. Van Dijk seems like our best option given we're in love with Southampton.  

In reality GK/CB/LB/RB bar Matip can all be improved on. Clyne is fairly dependable but has his moments of weakness. Moreno has to be moved on. Sakho too (purely due to the fall out, not talent). Lovren really should be third of fourth choice. Gomez should be a surprise next season, not someone we depend on from the outset. In goal Mignolet has been excellent lately but we could do with loaning out our other GK and buying a new one. I hate coming into every fucking season depending on a confidence broken GK... having faith in them and then they flop. We've done it for 3-4 seasons now and no title winner in history has been built around a GK like that. 

In midfield we can always do with a Lucas replacement but in all honesty we have so much quality here, we can get by.

In attack we just need to sort out the Sturridge situation and buy in someone who can offer us pace like Mane does (not an easy ask). 

We've proven this season in big games, we're fantastic. We have the goal scoring output as good as anyone but we lack pace and incisiveness when Mane isn't here.. and a lot of the time that wins against the smaller teams. We could also do with keeping our eye out for a long term successor for Coutinho as surely Barcelona or Madrid will come in for him in the next few years. 

I mean i like clyne and i struggle to see any better rb in the league right now (walker is soooo overrated)

But yeah we defo need a new lb,cb,gk. In midfield the fact that lucas played any games shows we desperately need to strwngthen cos lucas is AWFUL. 

Honestly going forward im fine with evwrything, we habe been a bit unlucky with injuries but on form are as good as anyone in the league and idk who could be available to change that

Aaron    1978

clyne is a bit overrated by our own fans.  have you seen  how many goals we have conceded from our right side? He definitely needs competition. positionally he could do with some improvement. I'm not saying hes moreno standard by any means. azipul from chelsea is the best fyi even tho hes played CB this season. 

Its not being 'as good as anyone' in the league. its been good enough to break down small teams.. aka with pace, width and goal scorers. thats what we lack. quality in the big games we don't lack.. but those incisive quick players who can stretch defences, kill them on the counter and break down 2 banks of 8, we don't have enough of. in europe I see us doing reasonably well aslong as we get a good draw.

long term we need that coutinho successor or he will go next season and we will move 2 steps back. as you said GK/CB/LB are priorities. you can't win the league without those.  I think looking at our squad, we just lack so much depth compared to the sides above us, lack steel and leadership. our system lens itself to a fuck load of goals but i think the icing on the cake will be that go-to goalscorer through the middle. for example if you put costa or aguero in our side we would be ridiculous. 

no doubt tho sorting out this defensive frailty is a big one, whether its a change of system to incorporate a solid DM or a change of personnel. 

-----------------

Klopp has done a FANTASTIC job with what he started with and has turned a team of misfits into a well oiled attacking machine. Our side is so young, I'm hoping Can starts to kick on next season and develop into a more consistent and impactful player. the goals which he has scored this season have been decisive.. a sign of a very very good player regardless of maybe lack of technical quality compared to the others. 

Aaron    1978
On 2017-5-16 at 7:53 PM, Winter Multi said:

Maybe last season but this season, I can't help but feel no. 

Rashford is simply better and younger whilst Martial seems easier on the eye. Rashford has seen his chances to the first XI blocked by a worldclass striker whilst Martial has seen his chances blocked by his own shitty performances. 

I don't like the excuse of off the field shit affecting his performances either. if u want to be the best, whatever goes on off the pitch can't affect you to this degree. 

then martial has the big issue of where the fuck is his best position.. his output upfront dwindles, whilst outwide he looks like a striker playing on the left. Rashford however looks pretty brilliant through the middle and has all the natural striking abilities expected. 

• Upvote 1

NB96    779

BREAKING: David Moyes has resigned from role as Sunderland manager after relegation from the Premier League.

NB96    779

Big Sam resigns from Crystal Palace manager's role; unhappy with summer transfer budget.

• Upvote 2

+Urthor    10206

I thought Arsene would be pulling that move, not Sam Allardyce...

NB96    779

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

AND THE REDS GO MARCHING ON, ON, ON!

+Urthor    10206

Apparently this means they're going to have one of the worst seeds though, so they're lined up against Real Madrid or Juventus round 1 next year.  

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/24/who-will-manchester-united-face-in-the-champions-league-and-where-will-they-be-seeded-6658552/ apparently not

NB96    779

Rumors that Bernardo Silva is undergoing a medical for City as we speak. Fuck sake, I wanted him so bad. Even has the defensive work rate Mourinho demands.

Better sign Griezmann Woodward. You're fucked if you don't.

Edited by NB96

NB96    779

Congratulations to Huddersfield for beating Reading on penalties to scure promotion to the Premier League ahead of the 17/18 season.

Newcastle, Brighton and Huddersfield were all promoted.

NB96    779

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain".

- Harvey Dent

Edited by NB96

Faint    5513

i mean jesus christ if thats true

NB96    779
10 minutes ago, Winter Multi said:

i mean jesus christ if thats true

I edited in the statement from the official Liverpool website. Definitely true.

Edited by NB96