Sign in to follow this  
NB96

Barclays Premier League 2016/17

Faint    5719

70m for morata is arguably the stupidest thing ive ever seen

Hes scored less league goals in his CAREER than harry kane did in 2016 alone, and theyre the same age. Amd morata has played in better teams vs worse defenses

Such an average player. 70m is unbelievable 

+Urthor    10238

I mean arguably it isn't about how many goals you scored but how you scored them and your goals per minute stat, what kind of quality touch you have. 

How many Premier League goals had Neymar scored when Barcelona literally hunted him down in Brazil?  How many did Messi when he was recruited?   None, but scouts knew he was that good anyway.  

I don't think people can say it was a terrible insane move until it actually doesn't work out.  

• Upvote 1

Aaron    1983
1 hour ago, Urthor said:

I mean arguably it isn't about how many goals you scored but how you scored them and your goals per minute stat, what kind of quality touch you have. 

How many Premier League goals had Neymar scored when Barcelona literally hunted him down in Brazil?  How many did Messi when he was recruited?   None, but scouts knew he was that good anyway.  

I don't think people can say it was a terrible insane move until it actually doesn't work out.  

Spot on.

His goals: mins record is great, his quality is evident.

If you just want to buy players based on stats then benni mccarthy would have been going for millions about 10 years ago.. but everyone in the football world is smarter than that. 

NB96    806

City have signed Benjamin Mendy from AS Monaco now, and Danilo a few days ago.

It is criminal that we haven't taken anybody off Monaco's hands yet. Lemar Fabinho, Mendy, Silva etc. So many great talents in positions we need to improve on. Instead of Fabinho we're targeting a Matić in decline or Eric Dier aka Mr Average.

Aaron    1983
9 hours ago, NB96 said:

City have signed Benjamin Mendy from AS Monaco now, and Danilo a few days ago.

It is criminal that we haven't taken anybody off Monaco's hands yet. Lemar Fabinho, Mendy, Silva etc. So many great talents in positions we need to improve on. Instead of Fabinho we're targeting a Matić in decline or Eric Dier aka Mr Average.

Yeah Monaco have been raided so easily. 

Don't see the logic in them keeping Mbappe now tbh. His value is at its highest and he's lost his supporting cast. Can't seem him winning Monaco the league.... not without 3 of their best players. They'd be best off selling him whilst his price is high and trying to invest smartly. 

United and Liverpool have been really slow in the transfer market. 

If Liverpool somehow pull off VVD + Keita, it will be an excellent window but both look VERY unlikely despite them striking or hard tackling in training. attacking wise we look great, only lacking that star striker. however everywhere else is much of the same with no more investment in midfield (really need a ball winning midfielder with something about them) and our defence as always is incomplete in so many ways. GK, LB replacement and striker can wait til next season. 

I see us failing this season due to: incomplete defence, no leadership at the back, poor GK errors and lack of steel in midfield. 

United could ideally do with a player to balance out that midfield. Matic does seem like a really good fit in theory. Then they probably need this season to find out their best attacking lineup from lukaku, martial, rashford, mhiki, mata. Its hard to find a role for all of them as they're all so god damn different. If a martial swap deal with Mbappe was at all possible, I'd be tempted because he just seems to be the odd one out. 

Faint    5719

City have raided monaco expertly. Very irritated by lack of business from Liverpool, we have salah and robertson but Still need a cb and cm (amd arguably striker but then wed have to sell sturridge)

Faint    5719

@Aaron are you as worried about the coutinho rumours as i am?

Aaron    1983
1 minute ago, Winter Multi said:

@Aaron are you as worried about the coutinho rumours as i am?

Yes and no. I love Coutinho but it is true that he goes missing for around 3-4 months a season. I think he's our best player and potentially one of the best players in the world. However if we do lose him, its not the end of the world given we have a fuck load of players who can play in the hole. I'm worried but its not Luis Suarez-type worried.

I think we're quite incomplete as a squad. When we lost Alonso, we were a world-class left sided player away from winning the title. When we lost Suarez we were a world-class centre back away from winning the title. Right now I'd argue we're a world class centre back, ball winning midfielder, left back and striker away from winning the title. 

Then again, Coutinho does have that magical ability about him that "anything is possible". With him we could do a Suarez-like challenge for the top spot but he really needs to be fit, available and on form for the whole season this time round. Something we haven't seen from him yet. 

What do you think? 

Faint    5719
12 hours ago, Aaron said:

Yes and no. I love Coutinho but it is true that he goes missing for around 3-4 months a season. I think he's our best player and potentially one of the best players in the world. However if we do lose him, its not the end of the world given we have a fuck load of players who can play in the hole. I'm worried but its not Luis Suarez-type worried.

I think we're quite incomplete as a squad. When we lost Alonso, we were a world-class left sided player away from winning the title. When we lost Suarez we were a world-class centre back away from winning the title. Right now I'd argue we're a world class centre back, ball winning midfielder, left back and striker away from winning the title. 

Then again, Coutinho does have that magical ability about him that "anything is possible". With him we could do a Suarez-like challenge for the top spot but he really needs to be fit, available and on form for the whole season this time round. Something we haven't seen from him yet. 

What do you think? 

My main reason for concern is that Coutinho is set to play as a number 8 this season and has all the making of an absolute class player. I think hes wasted in the forward line and klopp has come to realize this (hence signing Salah). I mean we could cope without him, but I just think we lose a lot of our "bite" and I think Coutinho is essential in terms of being able to break down the more stubborn teams (west bro,m, stoke etc) and we don't have another player that can do that from a midfield role at the moment (I love henderson, gini etc but they are absolutely not at coutinhos level). 

Unless we replace coutinho with another creative midfielder of his ilk (Isco, anyone?) and also sign vandijk and keita, I can't see us even close to winning the league this season.

I love salah btw think hes a really great signing but I think we need sturridge fit and firing. my optimal formation atm is

mingolet

clyne matip -not lovren- robertson

henderson/can gini

coutinho / firminho

salah sturrdge mane

i want mane on the left as a right footer and salah on the right as a left footer (similar to ribery and robben were for bayern)

your thoughts?

Aaron    1983
48 minutes ago, Winter Multi said:

My main reason for concern is that Coutinho is set to play as a number 8 this season and has all the making of an absolute class player. I think hes wasted in the forward line and klopp has come to realize this (hence signing Salah). I mean we could cope without him, but I just think we lose a lot of our "bite" and I think Coutinho is essential in terms of being able to break down the more stubborn teams (west bro,m, stoke etc) and we don't have another player that can do that from a midfield role at the moment (I love henderson, gini etc but they are absolutely not at coutinhos level). 

Unless we replace coutinho with another creative midfielder of his ilk (Isco, anyone?) and also sign vandijk and keita, I can't see us even close to winning the league this season.

I love salah btw think hes a really great signing but I think we need sturridge fit and firing. my optimal formation atm is

mingolet

clyne matip -not lovren- robertson

henderson/can gini

coutinho / firminho

salah sturrdge mane

i want mane on the left as a right footer and salah on the right as a left footer (similar to ribery and robben were for bayern)

your thoughts?

I agree, its a loss but we could replace him with Keita who will offer a slightly different dimension to what Coutinho offers.  No doubt abut it though, you lose a lot when you lose Coutinho such as his dead ball ability.  I think Isco would to be too light weight in that number 8 role which highlights an important issue you've touched on... u can find an abundance of number 10s like coutinho but not players who could play deeper. 

Nah Firmino will be number 1 up top. Sturridge just isn't dependable enough. I've got to the stage where I'd be worried if he is our first choice striker as he WILL get injured. 

GK Mignolet

CB Matip

CB VVD (or whoeever we buy instead) 

RB Clyne

LB Milner

CMF Henderson

CMF Lallana

CMF Coutinho

AMR Salah

AML Mane

ST Firmino 

By the end of the season I'd like to see Robertson taking LB off Milner,  Can taking the CMF spot from Henderson 

I think Gini + Lallana will be interchangable dependant on the match. Both are too productive and effective to be left out but this really proves my point of if Coutinho goes, is it the END of the world? Both you and I are struggling to fit in our plethora of midfield talent. However given we want to stay in the champions league, you need all the players you can get.

I have A LOT of faith in Can if he gets regular game time. That overhead kick exemplifies when you have a special player on your hands. 

WIjnaldum likewise I expect to have a better season and he was pivotal near the end. 

This season what I want to see from Klopp is a change in personnel based on who we face. Smaller teams  I think ditch Wijnaldum and try and play Sturridge more with a left sided LB. 

We also need Can to sign a new deal!! 

Faint    5719
On 7/28/2017 at 11:46 AM, Aaron said:

I agree, its a loss but we could replace him with Keita who will offer a slightly different dimension to what Coutinho offers.  No doubt abut it though, you lose a lot when you lose Coutinho such as his dead ball ability.  I think Isco would to be too light weight in that number 8 role which highlights an important issue you've touched on... u can find an abundance of number 10s like coutinho but not players who could play deeper. 

Nah Firmino will be number 1 up top. Sturridge just isn't dependable enough. I've got to the stage where I'd be worried if he is our first choice striker as he WILL get injured. 

GK Mignolet

CB Matip

CB VVD (or whoeever we buy instead) 

RB Clyne

LB Milner

CMF Henderson

CMF Lallana

CMF Coutinho

AMR Salah

AML Mane

ST Firmino 

By the end of the season I'd like to see Robertson taking LB off Milner,  Can taking the CMF spot from Henderson 

I think Gini + Lallana will be interchangable dependant on the match. Both are too productive and effective to be left out but this really proves my point of if Coutinho goes, is it the END of the world? Both you and I are struggling to fit in our plethora of midfield talent. However given we want to stay in the champions league, you need all the players you can get.

I have A LOT of faith in Can if he gets regular game time. That overhead kick exemplifies when you have a special player on your hands. 

WIjnaldum likewise I expect to have a better season and he was pivotal near the end. 

This season what I want to see from Klopp is a change in personnel based on who we face. Smaller teams  I think ditch Wijnaldum and try and play Sturridge more with a left sided LB. 

We also need Can to sign a new deal!! 

i mean i love firminho but hes a much better CF than ST. all the noise is that sturridge is looking in top form in preseason training etc so heres hoping he can stay injury free, if he does hes undisputed number 1. origi i have a lot of hope for as well.

i think that youre right - we dont NEED coutinho to stay because we have quality backups, but the fact of the mater is that coutinho is the best of the lot. i mean man city losing aguero wouldnt be TOO bad cos they have very good backup strikers but they still wont have the best ST in the league anymore - similar situation for liverpool and coutinho - that extra quality counts over a season

emre can is quality. gini is quality.

i fucking love henderson. people forget just how good he really is cos when he was fit for the 1st half of last season he was our best midfielder by a distance and regularly dominated games - hes just great at everything. 

my concern at the moment is that we have lots of very good players but very few perform at a CONSISTENTLY great level. they all turn it on and off too regularly

100% agreed on emre can though

NB96    806

Wenger saying it's "ideal" for Sanchez and Özil to be in the final year of their contract because it creates more competition since they want to perform for other clubs to sign them... madness. Though I do agree when he says we will see more players run down their contracts to move on a free transfer as clubs become unwilling to pay these astronomical asking prices. I think he's just making excuses for the absurd contract situation Arsenal find themselves in with Özil, Sanchez, Oxlade-Chamberlain and more have 12 months left afaik.

Griezmann was likely planned to be our #10, I wonder if Mourinho would consider looking to Özil next summer? He's worked with Özil before, was world class at Real Madrid they have respect for each other and it would save €85m to be spent elsewhere. The main problem would be work rate off the ball but maybe Mourinho could convince him to track back more.

Edited by NB96

Aaron    1983

scary signing.

If lindelof is the business, then i think you guys are going to be up there this season now. Midfield finally has a lot of balance, you have a plethora of options for the front 3, a 20-goal a seasons triker, best gk in the world, u have a now settled pogba plus lots of ?? players which could go on to have breakthrough seasons like Shaw. 

Also most versatile squad players in the league (jones/blind) and a few weirdly annoying big game players like lingard. 

NB96    806

Not PL related but there's not really any other football threads for it. Just amazing. Words can't describe just how astonishing this is imo.

Edited by NB96

Aaron    1983

idk im not THAT amazed. neymar on his current trajactory will be the next ronaldo/messi without anyone really challenging that crown from a goal/assist/technical quality/marketability output for someone who is his age or younger. 

therefore would you pay 200M today for a 25 year old Messi/Ronaldo? Yes you would.

I think his wages are the real obscene part but the fee seems quite justified TBH. If Pogba is worth near 100, I don't think its unreasonable for Neymar to be 1.5-2x that given what hes done in the game in comparison and his marketability.  Is it the best use of PSGs money?  Well I wouldn't say its a bad use of money. They have a very very strong squad, with a spine of silva-verrati-neymar, its looking like one of the best in the world. If they could snap up donnarumma then my fucking god, I'd be quite scared. 

I hope Barcelona stop messing about trying to get Coutinho and just sign Alexis Sanchez instead who is a ready made replacement, in the last year of his contract and arguably more tenacious than Neymar anyway. TBH Barcelona are borderline retarded if they don't go for Sanchez (and possibly Ozil) with this cash. The only counter argument would be they're not long-term signings, which I could agree with but they'd probably end up upgrading the team. 

Losing Neymar for barca is a huge hit for when Suarez&Messi retire but for the next 3 years or so, I don't think its that big of a deal for them. Hes definitely the worst of the 3. That signing of Suarez from Liverpool is so god damn fucking pivotal for Barca's longevity now. We really did let him go for  a song. He was easily worth £100M even with his ridiculous disciplinary status. 

I'm sad about this transfer as it looks like Coutinho's now destined to either get snapped up by PSG or Barca in the next 1-3 seasons regardless of how well we do.