Sign in to follow this  
Pengwan

Guide to Rotation

»Pengwan    7719

Figured this would be useful since there are a few people considering picking up the game due to increased prize support.

Every September, Pokemon has Rotation which in YGO terms is kind of like a banlist. Instead of banning cards, older sets get rotated out completely. Other card games do this I believe so if you've played any card game besides YGO its probably not a foreign concept. This year XY Base, XY Flashfire, XY Furious Fists, and XY Phantom Forces will be rotating out of the Standard format on September 1st alongside some of the older promos.

(It's also worth mentioning any cards from those sets that have been reprinted in newer sets, such as Lysandre or VS Seeker, remain legal and you can still use older copies).

We lose a lot of the culprits that made Standard very gross at times such as Night Marchers, Seismitoad EX, Trevenant, and Battle Compressor. This frees up a lot of room for innovation at the top since there is no clear cut best deck in the game with the loss of Night March.

Expected Top Decks post Rotation

Mega Rayquaza (Colorless)

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy6/76/

In simple terms, its a combo deck. You play 4 copies of Shaymin-EX from ROS, 2-3 copies of Hoopa-EX with 4 copies of Sky Field to accelerate through your deck turn 1 and attempt to get to 8 benched Pokes for a 220 Emerald Break. Between Double Colorless Energy and Mega Turbo its very easy to get to the energy requirement turn 1, and once the deck starts OHKO'ing things every turn nothing legal in standard can really match it in power.

Potential issues with the deck:

- Its a combo deck. If it draws mismatched hands, or the pilot manages his cards incorrectly it will whiff, and you will lose quickly.

- Being a turbo deck it plays a lot of item cards, which makes it extremely weak to item locks. Thankfully post Rotation the only Item lock card remaining will be Vileplume.

- Giratina-EX is an absolute monster against this deck. You need Hex Maniac to attack it, but if they put down a Stadium and attack you with Chaos Wheel you can't hit them for more than 150 without having Pokemon Ranger. You also can't attach Special Energy if they remove your DCE and Chaos Wheel you. The correct line of play against Giratina will normally be to attack them with the Colorless Rayquaza EX instead of Mega Evolving, but that obviously still slows you down quite a bit.

- If your opponent knows you are playing Mega Ray they can t1 Hex Maniac you and attempt to loop it with VS Seeker. This also slows them down some, but you won't be able to to Hoopa/Shaymin turbo through your deck which makes it virtually impossible to hit the 220 Emerald Break.

Garbodor Variants

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy9/57/

Legitimately every card that removes a Pokemon Tool is being rotated, which means once they get a Garbodor benched with a Float Stone/other tool the only way to get rid of it is to Lysandre it up for a OHKO. Common partners for Garbodor will probably include Darkrai-EX/other Dark types, Mega Mewtwo, Giratina-EX, some mixture of those, or things like Zoroark with Jump In possibly.

Potential issues:

- You can't actually Garbodor on your first turn without Wally, and if you play Wally you miss out on a t1 draw supporter. If you choose not to use Wally and just Garbodor them t2, you risk them just going off with their Hoopa/Shaymin t1 and already having used most of the things you were trying to cut off to begin with.

- Garbodor doesn't actually do anything on its own so you need to find the correct partners for it, which will probably just be a meta call. If you expect tons of Mega Ray/Mewtwo Giratina is probably ideal along with Fairy/Water to give it free retreat, or Darkrai if you feel he will be more useful against the field for the damage output it can hit.

M Mewtwo Variants

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy8/64/

With Shrines of Memories active, Mewtwo retains the Damage Swap active of its previous Evolution. http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy8/62/

What this means is if you attack M Mewtwo and fail to OHKO it, it just moves all the damage to you on the following turn, normally resulting in a knockout. The deck also pairs extremely well with Garbodor since its not at all reliant on abilities outside of a t1 Hoopa/Shaymin.

Potential issues:

- If you don't have Shrine of Memories they don't have to OHKO you, and something as simple as Giratina-EX attacking with Chaos Wheel after them putting down a Stadium ruins you if you do not have access to Pokemon Ranger.

- Deck will almost always want to play Garbodor, which gives it the same problems those decks have.

- Hard to use Damage Swap when Mega Ray one shots you for 220.

Giratina Variants

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy7/93/

With Seismitoad-EX being rotated this guy is next in line to be the card people bitch about locking them out of playing things. Immune to damage from M Evos also makes it a fantastic meta call at certain events, and Chaos Wheel backed with your own stadium and energy removal will frustrate people endlessly.

Potential issues:

- Pokemon Ranger (http://shop.tcgplayer.com/pokemon/xy-steam-siege/pokemon-ranger) just got printed in Steam Siege. This card removes all effects of Chaos Wheel, which makes it incredible against Giratina. 

- Giratina has an extremely high retreat cost, which means it will probably be best paired with a partner such as Fairy/Manaphy EX to give it free retreat.

- Your damage caps at 110 with a Fighting Fury Belt, which is very solid but can come back to bite you when you need to end the game quickly via OHKOs or they get out something with a higher damage cap and start threatening your Tinas.

Xerneas BREAK

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy11/81/

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy11/82/

With Fairy Garden, anything you have with Fairy energy has free retreat. Between Geomancy and Max Elixir it becomes very easy to load up Energy for the BREAK, and it makes a very good partner for things like Giratina-EX and M Gardevoir-EX w/ Brilliant Arrow.

Potential issues:

- You always want to attack with Geomancy turn 1, which does no damage. So its always going to take you a few turns before you can even start attacking things for damage outside of incredible hands.

- You will need to play quite a bit of energy to keep Elixir and Geomancy consistent, which in turns makes you prone to drawing awful hands full of energy occasionally.  

- Mega Ray is so much faster than this deck its hard to imagine how you could ever win a game outside of hoping to get there with Giratina.

Greninja BREAK

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy9/41/

This deck lost a lot of its bad matchups to Rotation, and it gained a potential new toy from Steam Siege in Talonflame since one of its biggest issues was having to run such a low amount of basics. Being essentially a Stage 3 evolution deck it can still be very slow, but its incredibly effective and cutting off abilities with Shadow Stitching while sniping benched Shaymins and such with Giant Water Shuriken for easy prizes.

Potential issues:

- You pretty much have to spend the first couple of turns just evolving. Water Duplicates helps quite a bit but the deck still takes a few turns before it can do anything real.

- Garbodor is a bitch.

There are a ton of other decks that could be viable and warrant testing, but those are the ones most often mentioned when discussing top decks for the next format. If anybody has any other questions feel free to answer and I will try to answer as best I can, although I haven't been playing very long myself yet so I'm still learning.

• Upvote 10

»Pengwan    7719

Couple of sample lists I'm testing

Mega Ray

Rf5HcXN.png

Mega Mewtwo

pjZfxct.png
(basically borrowed Naus's list for this 1)

Xerneas BREAK/Giratina

18GJlUG.png
Probably my favorite of these decks right now, good Anti Meta vs all the Mega Evo Decks

Xerneas BREAK/Mega Gardevoir

crOr1ko.png

Not quite as good against the field (probably) but less reliant on what they are using to be good and hits harder than the Giratina variant

Volcanion EX

jnJTsrZ.png

I think this deck is straight hype and not actually very good, but I've been testing it anyway and this is what I have so far

• Upvote 2

+Gojira    1706

So does every deck just want a couple shaymin ex because it's busted?

»Satchmo    3220

Yea, you kinda need Shaymin in every deck =/

how strong is that Mewtwo list? I got a few Mewtwo EX on ptcgo so I figured why not. Also is there a sample Dark list anywhere?

»Pengwan    7719

Shaymin is really good yeah. Some non ex decks like Greninja choose to run Octillery instead but if you play a deck using Ultra Ball you will probably want to run them.

A lot of people are high on the Mewtwo deck online since I guess its the best mega deck that doesnt conflict with Garbodor. I found it a little inconsistent and Mega Ray runs train on it if you don't open Wobbuffet or Wally into Garbodor so I didnt like it.

My favorite deck is Xerneas/Giratina, I think its a really solid play vs the expected meta. Mega Ray is definitely the strongest deck, and I also like Xerneas/Mega Gardevoir. Volcanion is kinda cool but I feel like its alittle less consistent than those decks and Hex/Garbodor tear it apart.

+Gojira    1706

Any consideration for a Mega Gyarados EX deck? While it's slow, not that hard to build a deck where you can get 5 energy by turn 2.

one other thing that seems odd looking is that i don't see Paint Roller anywhere. Seems like a pretty disgusting tech if people are running a lot of sky field.

+Mascis    4553

Wouldn't Delinquent be better than Paint Roller? Sure you give up your supporter for the turn, but you get additional hand disruption

+Gojira    1706
56 minutes ago, Mascis said:

Wouldn't Delinquent be better than Paint Roller? Sure you give up your supporter for the turn, but you get additional hand disruption

I think that's much worse. Saving your supporter use is important, and drawing cards is better than forcing discard most of the time, since there're so many hand refill effects.

»Pengwan    7719

I didn't find Delinquent very good when I first tried it out in a couple of decks awhile backs. Since they get to pick what they discard they would normally just keep a draw supporter/VS Seeker and render it useless, so its really only good if you catch them with 3 cih or they just have nothing.

Paint Roller is cute but its normally more effective to just run 3-4 of your own stadium and you will normally see one to put over theirs between Sycamore/Shaymin/etc

»Digbick    7249

I played my first game of ptcg today. I used Despair Ray Gardevoir/ Xerneas break, went 3-1. I defeated night march, M charizard, and and Seismitoad, lost against yveltal/dark rai. I think the deck is pretty good since I have a strong early  game with M gardevoir, and if the game takes too long I'll bring out Xerneas Break.

On another note, this game is alot different than yugioh lmfao. It was weird drawing so much and hoopa adding 3 ex from deck. Pretty cool game

• Upvote 3

+Gojira    1706

How does life stream on xerneas ex work with double energy? Does it get +40 for double dragon energy, for example?

»Digbick    7249
1 hour ago, Gojira said:

How does life stream on xerneas ex work with double energy? Does it get +40 for double dragon energy, for example?

it counts as two energies. Xerneas Break said "amount of energy" not "amount of energy cards". So life stream gets 40+ from double dragons

• Upvote 1

+Mascis    4553

I've been playing Xernes BREAK w/o Shaymin and whenever I set up faster I dont lose, but not having  Shaymin access is actually just the worst 

I kninda want to switch to M Gardevior over Giratina because using your energy attachment for double dragon can get awkward if you can't set up right. my only gripe is that I won't get the best rate out of despair ray since the only guy I waist to actually sac is Hoopa

»Pengwan    7719

the other Mega Gardevoir works better with Xerneas BREAK imo