Sign in to follow this  
Pengwan

Pokemon Finance Thread

»Pengwan    7720

Figured this could be useful since its an active thread for ygo and there are some new players here

For the most part Pokemon prices tend to be more stable overall in my experience so far

Looks like someone bought out all the cheap Shaymin EX on tcg/ebay though, and Giratina EX has also spiked a solid bit after Rotation announcement

+Mascis    4554

just wondering from a historical perspective as someone who has only moderately invested in PTCGO, has there ever been another card like shaymin-ex? im finding that my deck would be a lot better with shaymin-ex, almost so that if i wasn't playing against other people who don't have shaymin-ex i would lose. how often do they print cards like this, that pretty much centralize how decks are constructed?

like, the thing that is drawing me to playing this game over mtg or yu-gi-oh is it's relatively inexpensive and there a variety of decks/match-ups that are all seemingly viable. if i want to fully invest, i'd want to make sure that im getting the most of my investment and im not just buying into something that is going to get trashed due to rotation down the line

»Pengwan    7720

Well Shaymin will definitely get rotated out next September barring a reprint. It will still likely have another 2 years in expanded after that however.

Most of the staple cards in decks tend to be trainers, not EXs so Shaymin is a little unusual. The fact they haven't reprinted it yet also seems to make you think they just want it to rotate it out and be gone.

»Pengwan    7720

Full Arts were $30 preorder when they came out, Regular Arts were around $20-22 iirc. A little expensive for an EX but nothing outrageous. But Roaring Skies boxes retail for like $180 now and they are difficult to find, which makes Shaymins hard to find. Mega Rayquazas are starting to slowly creep up for the same reason. Pretty much every deck that plays Ultra Ball is going to need 2 Shaymin minimum. If you plan on playing and you see any around $50ish I'd just go ahead and snipe them because it may go down a little bit after this buyout but I think it's more likely it just stays around where its sitting now (or goes up more) until around Rotation announcement next year.

»JC.    4973
On 8/19/2016 at 9:44 AM, ThatOneGuy said:

I suppose this would be the best place to post this as well then.

http://ou7c4st.boards.net/thread/45/card-values

It lists the value of cards in PTCGO based on the number of packs you can trade for them.  It also clarifies pack ratios at the end.

It looks like these values go one-way. For instance, a common card being .25 packs means I could get a playset of them for a pack. However, I couldn't open 4 random commons from a pack and then trade them for a pack since that means the content of the pack would be worth more than the cards themselves. I doubt it, but is there anywhere that takes bulk commons/foils from packs and trades them for packs? If so, what's the ratio for that?

ThatOneGuy    2005

Sadly, there's no system in the game to directly turn bulk into packs or whatever else.  Maybe try dumping it off to someone in a trade with other more valuable cards?  I'm not sure if anyone would bother though.

»Pengwan    7720

Recent rises:

All copies of Hoopa-EX, especially the Full Arts which are insane buy it now everywhere. Makes some sense since Mega Ray normally plays 2

Giratina-EX, Mega Ray hard counter so makes sense. Don't know if it can sustain the price

Xerneas BREAK, went from about $8-9 to $13 most places. Will probably drop back down a little if the deck doesn't see success at the first Regional or 2

Talonflame rares went from about 70 cents to $3.50 min everywhere

Audino & M Audino, deck was just a good meta call for Worlds so this one is stupid

Max Elixir uncommon is insane, almost getting to VS Seeker levels

Fighting Fury Belt is also getting there

Garbodor holo slowly going up, up to cheapest TCG 1.24 from 75 cents a couple of weeks ago. Probably needs 1 or 2 more buyouts to really rise

M Mewtwo EX (good one) both rarity are way up, will fall back down drastically if the deck flops

Zoroark stand in is slowly creeping up towards $10. Thats probably the ceiling for it though

Azzaw    64

Talonflame did really well this past worlds in the decks it was in

and I fell for the M Mewtwo hype and just bought a couple copies before the spike so hoping it does good

• Upvote 1

»Pengwan    7720
1 hour ago, Gojira said:

what's up with talonflame?

It's very good in decks with a low basic count (like Greninja), and spiked after the deck got 2nd at Worlds last week playing 4 copies. You could theoretically just run 4 in every deck but it shines in decks like that since you either open it or whichever basic like Froakie you are running.

• Upvote 1

»Digbick    7257

talonflame also has no retreat cost, thats pretty relevant