Jazz

How to Side in Goat Format

On 10/13/2016 at 5:51 PM, Human Tetherball said:

Two things Exiled Force can't do: catch you up on field presence, meritoriously kill facedown Sangan/Serpent.

if you are running Goats but the "run them out of monsters" philosophy that applies to Zoo probably applies to Goats too. 

Many players don't set Sangan/Serpent.  On field presence, it sort of favors the player who is ahead.  

The "run them out" philosophy is flawed in that there are more beaters in the deck (plus Premy/Call) than immediate resources.  Goats will try to "run you out of hand advantage", and that point, they can push with weak monsters.

I'd rather max out on Metamorphosis and Goats than use Smashing.  But if you're already maxing them out, then the deck space is tight as it is.

+mark    3094
On 5/22/2017 at 3:50 AM, banefulscolumn said:

Question: What cards do you take out of your deck for your sides?

Against Goats?  Against Zoo?  Against Flip-Eff Chaos?  Against Recruit Chaos?

Read the OP, it already explains cards to take out per match-up, at least use that at a reference point for your question or suggest something yourself so people can give feedback on it. This is asking to be spoonfed

My current side deck list:

3x Trap Dustshoot (or if I'm maining them, it's 1-2x Dust Tornado and 1-2x Sakuretsu Armor)

3x D.D. Assailant

1x Jinzo

1x D.D. Warrior Lady

1x Asura Priest

1x Exiled Force

1x Brain Control

2x Light of Intervention

1x Bottomless Trap Hole

2x Trap Hole

I cut MSLV2 because stall/burn isn't as common as it was in 2005, but if I'm entering a tournament that's tolerant to them, possibly.  Light of Intervention is experimental at this point, but I'll have to test them against Flip Effect Chaos.

I like Asura Priest in side because maining 2 is too risky against decks that aren't punished by it, but it's always there when I need it.  It also lets me side out a LIGHT without reducing my light count when needed.

I tried the Dekoichi idea but it doesn't work for me personally.  It tends to either get Nobleman'ed or drawn too late in the game to make a difference.  I have lots of respect for players who like to apply pressure with a 1400 floater, but in tight spots, waiting a turn for anything other than recovering Snatch/Nobleman/Trinity to hand is too much.

I've become fond of Trap Hole because it stops most of what Bottomless stops plus Tsukuyomi and recruiters.

Jazz    4764
On 5/23/2017 at 10:42 AM, mark said:

Read the OP, it already explains cards to take out per match-up, at least use that at a reference point for your question or suggest something yourself so people can give feedback on it. This is asking to be spoonfed

To be fair, I left the OP purposely vague, and that was one of the things you guys criticized me for. You shouldn't side out 12 cards for Chaos Turbo, even though it's an option. I didn't want to "give away all the answers", because (1) I am not perfect and (2) people need to learn to think for themselves, and (3) I want to maintain some semblance of a competitive advantage.

Now that I'm semi-retired I don't care, but I'm too lazy to rewrite this.