Sign in to follow this  
Son-Kun

Ubuntu Smartphone vs iPhone

Son-Kun    5

So with my recent decision to move away from android the next time I get a new phone the idea of buying an ubuntu phone seems attractive so I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with or knowledge about them they can share since I have some questions.

I just read in a fairly recent article that even the most powerful model is "frustratingly slow" and "is slow to respond to taps and doesn't register every input reliably". For anyone that has used these phones, have these issues been addressed or are they still awful to use? The fact that they're sold out gives me hope on this one.

Do they ship to the UK and work with UK networks? Googled this to no avail.

Anything else significant to consider about Ubuntu phones vs iPhone when considering my basic needs of a phone?

+rei+    34637

an iPhone covers all the basic needs of the phone and doesn't have any 'frustratingly slow' issues

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

+Malcolm    4603
On 8/22/2016 at 5:40 AM, rei said:

an iPhone covers all the basic needs of the phone and doesn't have any 'frustratingly slow' issues

+Urthor    10210

I can only hope you were drunk at the time when you were actually considering Ubuntu.  

• Upvote 2

»lo fi    2612

the only reason to use a Ubuntu phone is if you want your phone to be absolute dog shit with minimal support and a bunch of packages that won't be managed for years to come. 

Aaron    2022

if ur not in the apple eco system (facetime/imessage/icloud/imusic), i'd go to android for phones. wireless charging, OLED screens, edge to edge glass etc. 

Software updates cripple my apple devices recently. I downgraded my 2014 MBP because when I did, the OS kept crashing. My old iPad got CRIPPLED which forced me to buy a new iPad. 

+rei+    34637

iOS ten also is pretty cramped on the iPhone SE.

And the new close/lock sound is orders of magnitude worse than the old one

: ( 

Chris Buraseru    10480

As a guy who sells phones regularly for a living, don't get an IPhone. Get an S7 if you don't want an exploding phone or just get an LG V20 when they release.

• Downvote 2

+rei+    34637
4 minutes ago, Chris Buraseru said:

As a guy who sells phones regularly for a living, don't get an IPhone. Get an S7 if you don't want an exploding phone or just get an LG V20 when they release.

As a guy who understands how software stability works, probably not that solid advice.

+rei+    34637

maybe back your stuff up

Suuwo    647

If you don't want android, you don't have much of a choice besides the iphone line unless you want a really shitty phone.

Also something being marked as sold out could also mean they just don't bother carrying the product anymore (because it sucks).