NB96

Would anybody like to talk about Herald of Perfection with me?

NB96    830

I was browsing Youtube videos and found one from Lithium2300 about this Cyber Angel Herald deck. I didn't like his decklist but the concept seemed really good. You can combine the Herald of Perfection deck with the Cyber Angels from the new Dragons of Legend Unleashed set. Combined, you get a very consistent deck that drops both Herald and Saffira on turn 1 very often, as well as searchable access to all sorts of powerful fairy-type cards to win the game. I don't know if this new identity of the deck is common knowledge (probably is) but I didn't see a thread which is why I wanted to post this and see how it does.

I'll remind you of some of the cards since they're a little old:

Herald of Perfection
300?cb=20150320144119

Dawn of the Herald
300?cb=20150530173423

Saffira, Queen of Dragons
300px-SaffiraQueenofDragons-DUEA-EN-UR-1

Hymn of Light
300px-HymnofLight-DUEA-EN-C-1E.png

Here's the new Cyber Angel Benten:

Cyber Angel Benten
1101067.jpg

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Machine Angel Ritual". If this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: Inflict damage to your opponent equal to that monster's original DEF in the Graveyard. If this card is Tributed: You can add 1 LIGHT Fairy-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.

The bold section of the text is what you need to know. Since she (along with Herald of Perfection and Saffira) are level 6, you can use her as the whole tribute for their summons. It's not even once per turn either; add her back with Dawn of the Herald and tribute her a second time in one turn for Saffira for even more searching. 

In the past ritual summons had the traditional problem of being -1's whenever you made them. Normally you would sidestep that by sending tribute fodder from the deck with Advanced Ritual Art instead of from your hand. Of course you'd run into a different problem, which is that you're forced to run normal monsters in your deck to accommodate the best ritual spell in the game. In this respect Cyber Angel Benten completely changes the game. Now you have ritual fodder that replaces itself, and the card it replaces itself with is usually going to be very good since there are a variety of excellent fairy-type monsters on the market for you to choose from. Alternatively, if you want a ritual spell more than a fairy-type monster just search Manju and use him to get you the spell you want.

Here are some of the most noteworthy cards to search with her:

Star Seraph Scepter
1070665.jpg

Star Seraph Sovereignty
1070667.jpg

Archlord Kristya
33.jpg

Honest
Honest-SDLI-EN-C-1E.png

Immediately you can see that the deck has more win conditions now that before. Previously you hoped to have enough fairys to negate most of your opponent's cards leaving them with nothing to defend themselves from your attacks. That would often take time though. Nowadays, why whittle down their resources one by one when you can throw your Star Seraph combo onto the field and gain mass advantage? Maybe you would prefer to manipulate your graveyard with Herald of Perfection, Dawn of the Herald, or Saffira to meet the conditions to summon Archlord Kristya and lock them out of the game instead? Why not both?

One of the main weakness of Herald in the past was the dead draws. If you couldn't summon Herald you had useless fairy's in your hand who didn't help you stay in the game. In the current version of the deck you don't have to worry about this since all your cards should more or less be live. That's because of the huge amount of searching you can do for any card you want, as well as no longer needing to use useless level 6 normal monsters. Here's some of the cards you would use to add even more consistency to the deck:

Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands
yugimanjuofthetenthousandhands.jpg

Pre-Preparation of Rites
1094722.jpg

Pot of Desires
PotofDesires-TDIL-EN-ScR-1E.png

Ritual Sanctuary
300?cb=20160819192752

Terraforming
300?cb=20160706183448

Instant Fusion
300?cb=20151029011549

Preparation of Rites
300?cb=20150320145413

Upstart Goblin
300?cb=20140613004018

The idea I'm running with is to basically max out on most of those cards. Ritual Sanctuary in particular is great because it searches either ritual monster, either ritual spell or Benten (therefore, basically any fairy-type monster). Useless extra Terraforming's are therefore not a weakness of the deck, as you can discard them for Ritual Sanctuary's effect. 

This gives me a sample decklist of the following:

3x Herald of Perfection
3x Saffira, Queen of Dragons
3x Cyber Angel Benten
3x Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands
3x Star Seraph Scepter
3x Star Seraph Sovereignty

3x Dawn of the Herald
3x Hymn of Light
3x Ritual Sanctuary
3x Terraforming
3x Pot of Desires
3x Pre-Preparation of Rites
2x Instant Fusion
1x Preparation of Rites
1x Upstart Goblin

The extra deck is fairly simple. I would probably go with something like Norden, Thousand Eyes Restrict, Fairy Cheer Girl, Daigusto Emeral, and then various 3 material Rank 4's for your Star Seraph combos. I guess maybe a Dweller and Utopia Beyond but those are perhaps more niche, or even win-moar options.

The general strategy of the deck is simple. Ideally go first, summon both Herald and Saffira, start adding fairy's to your hand to either discard for Herald of Perfection, set up a Star Seraph combo or your graveyard for Kristya and make your best move on your second turn to seal the deal pretty much. Not complicated but it seems powerful and easy to pull off nonetheless. I have Instant Fusions in this list but you could easily cut them for Honests or Archlord Kristya's if you wanted. You'll should usually have at least one expendable Fairy to discard for Herald of Perfection, since Dawn of the Herald adds back your Benten after you summon Herald. Don't forget to protect your field with Hymn of Light if your opponent tries to destroy your ritual monsters. Additionally if you have excess Hymns, discard one for Ritual Sanctuary just to get it in the graveyard so you can protect your field.

I really want to try this deck out but I don't have Devpro so maybe people reading this deck can give it a try. I think it has potential to be a competitive and popular. I tried Herald in the past and couldn't beat Kozmo but now that Dark Destroyer is limited the deck may have a better chance especially with all these powerful and consistent new cards. I don't see any reason why this deck couldn't beat Blue-Eyes either, and I think you have plenty of disruption for pendulum decks right now. This deck has plenty of new tricks up it's sleeve, and besides Pot of Desires, I think it is relatively cheap as well.

• Upvote 11

NB96    830

I'm not sure why the text under Benten is all in quotes... I'll try to fix it.

EDIT: Fixed.

Me.    59

There are so many decks right now that has autowins going first that when I build a deck, the questions I ask myself are more along the lines of "what does this deck give me going 2nd compared to all the other decks" rather than "what type of turn 1 board can this deck make?". Because going 1st is solvable for most viable strategy to similar degrees, the real difference lies in going 2nd. And, from reading your post, I get the impression that this deck fails here. What thoughts do you have regarding going 2nd with this deck?

Maybe it's gimmicky but you could include Herald of Orange Light to get Ultimaya access which equals Crystal Wing or Stardust Spark.

Since Ritual Sanctuary's 2nd effect is dirt cheap to activate, it's easy to get the setup for Coral Dragon which in turn gives you Ultimaya with any of the Rituals (+ a free draw).

DukeLukewarm    121
3 hours ago, Me. said:

There are so many decks right now that has autowins going first that when I build a deck, the questions I ask myself are more along the lines of "what does this deck give me going 2nd compared to all the other decks" rather than "what type of turn 1 board can this deck make?". Because going 1st is solvable for most viable strategy to similar degrees, the real difference lies in going 2nd. And, from reading your post, I get the impression that this deck fails here. What thoughts do you have regarding going 2nd with this deck?

Cyber Angels have a few in-theme monsters that can clear out monsters, but whether those are playable in the deck without leading to huge bricks and are consistently summonable is another matter. Dakini is a level 8 with Towers style monster sending, and Vishnu can destroy all extra deck monsters your opponent controls and then OTK by herself, but is level 10 which is somewhat awkward.

I feel like latest?cb=20160819052416 is worth mentioning if you play Sanctuary, and latest?cb=20100222153717 in general. Both are level 2 which is enough to summon level 8s with a Benten.

NB96    830

I was definately thinking of going first with this deck in mind. Going second I suppose you would try to summon a Herald, use Benten to search a Star Seraph and try to combo off. This deck probably isn't as strong going second I'll concede. I've seen some people say that they don't use the Star Seraphs or Instant Fusion and just prefer to use the full package of Cyber Angel cards instead. I didn't include them in the OP because I haven't read them thoroughly and figured out what you could do with them. My understanding is that the Cyber Angel Ritual monsters are good for clearing the field though and at least one of them has relatively high attack. I'd have to go over them though, I just assumed that Star Seraphs would be betterr because the combo with them is still insane in 2016 imo. Especially since you can just draw into even more fairys to discard for Herald of Perfection.

brian.inc    266

what do you think of compact fluffal draw engine thrown in? they're all fairies, although only wings is light :/

something like:

2 wings

2-3 dog

2-3 bear

3 toy vendor

pitching vendor with the field spell is great. also, my friend was trying out the brilliant engine to dump wings and get multiple normal summons in a turn, which can be nuts (2 sticks, 2 manjus, fluffla dog +manju/ stick for more rank 4 threats, etc). 

Edited by brian.inc

»Noelle    5845

idk the new cards but i used to mess around with the ara variant of this deck and still think playing like one nek of trishula for going second is p good esp if the azure card is making untargettables. one of my lists even just went with full on 3 of them, maybe its a bit better with desires now too

»Noelle    5845
13 minutes ago, Monahan said:

azure 

also if yang zing gets popular good vs that too

dexer008    805

I'd been messing with this for a bit when I saw the whole cyber angel archetype. Star Seraphs are good, and you can work with them in that direction of the deck, it lets you use your extra deck the most. The ARA build gets better with Benten too, but you're still running a bunch of normal fairies. You can however run just 3 megami and the cyber angel cards quite effectively, since a full set of herald, megami and benten/idaten is 12 lv6's for dawn/hymn/machine angel rituals. It also makes summoning herald of ultimateness much more accesible but you'd never summon it outside using ARA. 

With the 'pure' build I was testing, the main focus on the deck is basically herald/ saffira. That lock in itself is slightly ridiculous outside of a kaiju/ lava golem thing, just because saffira's and cyber angel's ritual spells grant protection to your mons which in turn provide you with more longevity because you don't have to discard every fairy in your hand to keep the lock alive.

The next star player in this build is the other lv6 idaten. If you can perform even just 2 ritual summons with her, that's 2000 atk and def to all your blue guys, putting saffira and herald over 4000 atk each, which nothing should beat, even just 1 summon with her actually usually just seals the dea. Benten is really a blessing, you can run kristya and honest now at 1 to reduce non-bricks because they're now searchable. 

Besides those the new ritual sanctuary makes rituals much more easier to use, more manju is always good and lets you use extra rituals in hand for good use and to use your banish effects. 

I think you also have to be very careful going the "full consistency" mind-set, don't get me wrong you want to be as consistent as possible, but terraforming is possibly a stretch because you should probably be running the field spell max already because of its effect and 3 manju with 3 pre-preparations and the ritual spells, which takes up heaps of room.

The only thing I hadn't tested yet was Pot of Desires. I'll probably be opening a can of worms here, but I think this deck is very much-so like monarchs in that the card eats up at your resources IE read your fairies in deck, so it could be quite costly. If like me you were running only 1 kristya, then it adds another element of risk to the card, but the game isn't certainly thrown away. Like I mentioned before, idaten really gives this deck now a beatdown strategy (something it's always struggled with in the past, hence relying on kristya, saffira and the extra deck to try a alleviate) and overall the cyber angels have nicely covered the gaping wholes in the strategy bar running into effect negation/traps. 

DAD 4 GAME    45

So, Herald topped YCS Rimini.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKMRW4S_XiU

His List:

3 Herald of Perfection

3 Cyber Angel Benten

1 Saffira Queen of Dragons

3 Manju of the Thousand Hands

3 Star Steraph Scepter

3 Star Seraph Sovereignty

2 Summoner Monk

3 Ritual Sanctuary

3 Terraforming

3 Dawn of the Herald

1 Hymn of Light

3 Pre-Preparation of Rites

1 Preparation of Rites

3 Instant Fusion

1 Soul Charge

1 Raigeki

1 Upstart Goblin

1 One Day of Peace

1 Metalfoe Fusion

1 Elder Entity Norden

1 Darkfire Dragon

1 Abyss Dweller

1 Diamond Dire Wolf

1 Daigusto Emeral

1 Castel the Skyblaster Musketeer

1 Fairy Cheer Girl

1 Steelswarm Roach

1 Stellarknight Delteros

1 Evilswarm Ouroboros

1 Number 104: Maquerade
1 Constellar Tellarknight Diamond

1 Number 24: Dragulas the Vampiric Dragon

1 Constellar Ptolemy M7
1 Number 39: Utopic Beyond

2 Dark Hole

2 Book of Eclipse

3 Maxx "C"

3 Twin Twisters

2 Ally of Justice Cyclone Reader

2 Effect Veiler

1 Artifact Lancea

Metalfoe Fusion was to discard for Sanctuary, making it essentially costless. Roach was for pendulums. Masquerade was for BA/Kozmo. Lancea was for Kozmo/Monarchs and could be recycled with Saffira. The rest was pretty self-explanatory.

• Upvote 3

I feel like Call of the Haunted is one of the biggest things this deck has going for it. The turn 1 opening of Hymn of Light, pitch Benten. Search Kristya, and pitch it in EP to Saffira to bring back with CotH seems like it ends the game, and I imagine it's fairly consistent. 

Call is also pretty nuts with Norden / Stick Chair.

• Upvote 2

dexer008    805

I used to run that, with oasis instead. Generally though 2 is enough, 3 lead to clogging. Which the deck bricks enough as it is. 

I think although very steep, gale dogra is still just insane for set up. He's pre-prep 4-6 basically. And using his effect and sending 2 arc light, you use a ritual with a manju/senju or other lv4 to make 4 for kristya. Although it conflicts with the normal summon for stick-chair combo, you want to set up first, not try and play sub-par seraphs in this format. 

Edit: My apologies, that makes 3 fairies

NB96    830

Yes it seems like the two Instant Fusions should be cut for at least one Kristya and something else in my sample list. I don't think two Kristya is neccesary if you're just going to search it in hindsight.

wrinklywinkie    578
4 hours ago, Abe Thalos said:

It essentially does nothing the turn its summoned, takes resources to produce, and then gets some advantage in the end phase. I'd much rather be playing more senju and brilliant fusion or the Gale Dogra/way of summoning Herald of Arc Light and have usable resources then a bad way of resolving Benten for a card thats just going to get me OTKd.
Moreover, the fact that it doesn't get over Dante makes it particularly bad in a format where Beatrice is at 1.

If COTH is what your deck has going for it, you know its garbage. COTH is an extender card that you have to wait a turn to use in which you'll be so behind in the game or straight up lose it that the card loses any value it may have had.

yeah lets just never play traps bc if u play trap u lose

i too have autism

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Samwise    55

It essentially does nothing the turn its summoned, takes resources to produce, and then gets some advantage in the end phase. I'd much rather be playing more senju and brilliant fusion or the Gale Dogra/way of summoning Herald of Arc Light and have usable resources then a bad way of resolving Benten for a card thats just going to get me OTKd.
Moreover, the fact that it doesn't get over Dante makes it particularly bad in a format where Beatrice is at 1.

I think you're really selling Saffira short. Or at least looking at the wrong aspects of the card. All 3 effects are relevant depending on your other cards. 

Going first and comboing into Herald + Saffira gives you minimum 3 negates, one of which is free again if Saffira lives. I don't really see the substantial difference in grabbing Benten back immediately vs your end phase if it's only going to be used as negate fodder. If you didn't draw your Herald cards, then you just didn't draw your Herald cards, cutting Saffira doesn't solve that.

Turn one Saffira + Ouroboros rips two cards from your opponents hand turn one and the option for another if you use Herald on their turn.

Draw effect lets your dig for hand traps or set up any other plays you might be looking for (Norden/Kristya).

Hymn stops inherent summon beaters (blue-eyes alt) from just attacking over Herald and allows you to hold your negates.

The only glaring downside I see is not being able to dig for traps, but I don't think that makes the card bad, or even the worst card in the deck.

It also let's you side dragon's bind, but that's neither here nor there, just thought it was something worth pointing out.

If COTH is what your deck has going for it, you know its garbage. COTH is an extender card that you have to wait a turn to use in which you'll be so behind in the game or straight up lose it that the card loses any value it may have had.

I'd normally agree with your outlook on CotH as well, but given that you'd ideally be trying to use it when you already have Herald on board kind of negates it's established downfalls. Given that you can protect it and it operates as a 2700 vanity's means that it doesn't set you any further back than any other trap and solves the issue of not being able to put your opponent on a clock. It also makes Herald so much better because that's stops heaps of things that you would otherwise be forced to negate. By no means am I saying its a must play, but I don't think your reasoning for it being "garbage" is justified.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, snek said:

i too have autism

The autism jokes got old a long LONG time ago come up with something original why don't yah

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Me.    59
12 minutes ago, Abe Thalos said:

In most cases (prime exception is Kozmo, because tincan sets up GY in EP.) :
:Soul Charge is good whenever COTH would be
:Soul Charge is searchable by Left Arm Offering.
::You could try Soul Charge + Left Arm offering
>>Problem: Left arm offering usually sacrifices follow up
>>Problem: Left arm offering usually functions as a bomb in most decks its playable in, not an extender and therefore is generally bad to play more than 2 of.

• With these rituals being legal targets for Soul Charge if they've been properly ritual summoned, this may be a good idea.
  • If making herald of arc is consistent, it makes soul charge better (detaching for rank 4s would be retarded), this also makes Instant fusion better.

3 deskbot 003 with 1 deskbot 001, 3 terrortop with 1 red-eyed dice, 1 mathematician and 3 scrap recycler with 1-2 jet synchron. You could run up to 10 1-card heralds. That's also insane when you consider that you can run up to 9 copies of call between coth, oasis and powerful rebirth (revive synchro summoned arc light for both another negate and a search). It's a deck idea I played around with a lot at the start of the year but scrapped because it couldn't go 2nd.