3 Floodgate Trap Hole

3 Phantom Knights' Wing

2 Phantom Knights' Sword
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Solemn Warning
1 Ring of Destruction

1 Compulsory Evacuation Device

1 Fairy Wind

I tried a similar deck last format, but there was no way to beat Monarch while maintaining a solid matchup against the rest of the field. However, with the major hits to Monarch the banlist delivered, and the new toys from TDIL, I wanted to try this again.

Gren Maju Da Eiza solves a lot of problems this deck would have, there's certainly a consistency tradeoff in running trips of him with only 3 enablers, but in a deck with 3 Duality and 3 Demise to dig towards the first Desires, it's much faster to get online than you might expect. Gren Maju gives an incredibly fast clock without needing to resort to garbage like Mage Power in the main deck while also attacking over every monster in the format. This is particularly important because I'm opting to max the 6 "set traps," Floodgate and Quaking. Normally in a deck like this, you would Quaking a field of like 2 monsters, then the game would just go to deckout because you can't ever get over the monsters you just flipped down. With Gren Maju in the deck though (and Moon Mirror) you have a number of outs to the monsters that get set by your traps, allowing you to run the powerful traps with little downside. The upgrade of Floodgate and Quaking over the next best traps looks small until you consider what the next best traps actually are, you quickly find yourself stuck running Storming Mirror Force, regular old Trap Hole, and Compulsory. Floodgate and Quaking let you win bricked games better than any other legal trap card, especially against BA, and help leverage your ridiculous card advantage engine in matchups where that matters. 

Also some games just go "Turn 1 Desires, set 5, Dyna, go. Mirror Force your guy. Desires, summon Gren kill you."

You might be wondering at this point, "Why not Qli?" Well, one reason is that Qli is fucking trash. But that aside, Qli almost can't play Desires because banishing Scout is so gamebreaking. There is also a huge upside to having your monsters be floodgates, rather than augmenting your your win condition with floodgate traps on the side. For one it means you get to play a pile of real traps, which help answer established boards, and make you practically immune to MSTs / Twisters picking off random backrow because everything is redundant.

Solemn Strike is pretty unplayable in this deck, it can't stop normal summon monster -> attack over statue, which is the most common way statues are getting answered. 

12 monsters looks a little high until you realize you don't need to jam Demise on turn 1, and having redundant Dyna effects is super important because of Fog Blades, and surviving Twin Twister pushes. If you open 2 Dynas and a demise, you can just set Demise alongside the 2 traps, probably only need 1 of them, and then next turn you can consider flipping Demise after summoning the 2nd Dyna. Even then though, you can often just keep waiting on the Demise and flip it when you don't have a normal summon for turn yet to extract maximum value. The deck draws the game out, so you might as well take advantage of that. 

Jowgen over more Statues is mostly a concession to not being able to win every die roll. Jowgen -> Discard a card is a start towards a fighting chance against pretty much everything. He's really awkward in combination with the Swords and Lance, but I think I'd cut those cards before I traded out Jowgen for more Statues, they're probably the worst cards in the deck anyway. Only reason Sword is in the deck is so I have more outs to Bunbuku.

Eccentrick is cool as a card that fits in the scales for Demise. Dragodies, the Empowered Warrior is another value scale I'm thinking about, I might cut one of the Swords for a copy to try it out. On paper having Discard a card to shrink a guy seems really good, but it's not very good after a Demise turn. Dragodies + Ecctentrick in scales also lets me pend my whole deck wheeeeee.

I've got no idea what I'm doing with the sideboard. Probably Banishers or something to board out the Torrents against Mermail. Probably Typhoons for Pendulum. Aside from that though, I've got no idea. I considered just boarding more statues so I can board out Jowgens when I go first for the marginal upgrade. Not sure what I want to side for Monarch, Fog King is pretty awkward in a deck like this, but Mask of Restrict seems terrible in here. Maybe Magic Drains or Huge Revolutions against everything bringing in Twin Twisters. Idk, I'm probably missing some matchup I'm supposed to be real scared of, but on paper most matchups look positive.

I hope this post was readable it's 5:17 am and my caffeine from 2pm still hasn't worn off.

• Upvote 9

dexer008    805

I actually build something similar the other day, although I was just having fun with some gimmicky cards, for example;

I tried out a field spells with terraforming, necrovalley and seal of oricalcos, to give dyna and Banisher of the radiance decent atk while protecting drought and jowgen

The card Dimension Guardian is essentially safe zone for your mons, without the effect of destroying the monster if the trap is destroyed . 

Running 12 monsters I worry you'd banish most of them sometimes, but you cover that anyways with your description. Maybe consider upping archfiend eccentrick to 3 as just basic s/t and monster removal is nice to have in multiples, especially in stun decks. 

Oh and Thunder King Rai Oh is back to 2, thoughts on him being in the deck?

Dimension Guardian is cool, not sure if it's worth space though. Not much destroys by card effect right now, I'd be much more worried about Fog Blades and Majespecter Tornados than stuff like Raigeki. And if I wanted to protect my dudes from battle, I'd rather just play a 3rd Moon Mirror Shield. 

My latest list is testing a Seal of Orichalchos over the Forbidden Lance as a hedge against Bunbukus, not sure how much I like it though in the main. It's pretty sick that if you have Gren + Fossil Dyna up they're never attacking your Fossil Dyna. 

Multiple Eccentrick is worth considering, it's a metagame decision. In some matchups the card is a blank, but being able to snipe Fog Blades, Twin Twisters, and Majespecter Tornados is pretty high value in a deck like this. It's definitely nice that even when it's a blank it doesn't take up space from Card of Demise. The downside, of course, is that it's neither a trap that protects your Statues from battle, nor a floodgate monster, so it fills a somewhat awkward slot in the deck. 

What does Thunder King do right now? Seems like a really soft floodgate compared to Fossil Dynas / Statues. 

»victor    6399

Why don't you play Grand Mole? It doesn't target or destroy. DDWL and Samurai Cavalry of Reptile are other cards to consider, as Normal Summon outs to established fields, though you aren't playing Raigeki?

15 minutes ago, victor said:

Why don't you play Grand Mole? It doesn't target or destroy. DDWL and Samurai Cavalry of Reptile are other cards to consider, as Normal Summon outs to established fields, though you aren't playing Raigeki?

You just named a ton of cards that don't protect the Statues, which is my answer as to why I'm not playing any of them. Every card in the deck does one of 4 things: Draw cards, protect the Statue, be a Statue, or end the game fast. Adding stuff that doesn't do any of those things just makes the deck less focused.

If we go 2nd and we have to clear their field using a normal summon, then they have another turn where they're not under a Statue. The established fields I'm worried about are totally unbeatable regardless of whether I'm playing Grand Mole or DDWL. The plan is to either win the die roll and lock them on turn 1, or let them make a board, grind through it with Mirror Forces / Jowgen pitch while locking them. 

»victor    6399

You could play One Day of Peace because that is one less card to get to Desires or Jowgen.

30 minutes ago, victor said:

You could play One Day of Peace because that is one less card to get to Desires or Jowgen.

I could, but I'm pretty sure that an upstart isn't worth giving my opponent a card. 

itswhatever    3286

13 minutes ago, Bazaar of Baghdad said:

I could, but I'm pretty sure that an upstart isn't worth giving my opponent a card. 

How often will their card matter though? If you have floodgate guy + traps, they probably can't do anything anyways? Only relevant card that they can draw into in order to win is probably twin twisters. Obviously one day isn't as powerful in here as decks that it truly shines in because you don't need to stop damage since you have a million mirror forces, but thinning your deck for the good cards in your deck doesn't sound awful. 

5 minutes ago, itswhatever said:

How often will their card matter though? If you have floodgate guy + traps, they probably can't do anything anyways? Only relevant card that they can draw into in order to win is probably twin twisters. Obviously one day isn't as powerful in here as decks that it truly shines in because you don't need to stop damage since you have a million mirror forces, but thinning your deck for the good cards in your deck doesn't sound awful. 

Twin Twisters, Fog Blade, Majespecter monsters / traps. Hell, it's the beginning of the format I wouldn't be surprised if people are jamming Raigeki again just because. There's not a ton, but there is some interaction in the format. 

The game can also get to a point where even if they answer your Dyna, they can't fight through 3-5 backrow before you establish the lock again. Giving them extra cards with One Day would make games where that happens a lot harder for very little upside.

Updated OP with my current list.

I played this at a local the other day and found some issues. Magician scales are incredibly difficult for this deck to deal with, especially Pulse. I didn't realize this at first because I don't main Pulse in that deck, but the existence of that card drastically swings the matchup. Moon Mirror becomes considerably worse when you're fighting over Pulse pops just as much as their monsters. 

Also, as I expected, a turn 1 Kirin is pretty much just game over. 

Overall, there weren't (m)any real decks at the local, but I got a feel for how the deck plays. Hands with 3+ monsters are incredibly awkward, and not opening with a card advantage spell makes things a little more difficult, but for the most part the deck runs very smooth. 

The sideboard as it stands is the following:

3 Mask of Restrict

3 Banisher of the Radiance

2 Phantom Knights' Wing

2 Fairy Wind

2 Unwavering Bond

2 Jowgen the Spiritualist

1 Storming Mirror Force

Jowgens got bumped to the sideboard for whenever I'm going 2nd against BEWD, and maybe BA. Aside from that the card was pretty underwhelming, I think I like the 1-of so I can try to dig for it with Duality if I need it, but it worked so poorly in combination with Sword and Wing, which have both been exceeding my expectations that I couldn't justify it over more Statues.

Wing in particular is really cool, the 500 atk boost is permanent, but Wing itself doesn't stay in play clogging your s/t zones, so you can just flip it to free up space to set another card off Demise while still getting some value. 

There's a bunch of really high impact cards that get boarded in against Magician lists, Bonds hit Pulse, Pit, and Kirin, the 3 most difficult cards in the matchup. Fairy Wind is a total blowout against the Sky Iris + Magician scales deck, especially with Pend Call down to 1. Wing is another card that's really important against the Magician deck, it makes your Statues bigger than Bunbuku, and also protects your Statue from Pulse. Unlike Sword, if they go after your backrow with Pit first, you can actually chain Wing to Pit to put a shield on your guy, keeping the lock in place for another turn. 

Straight Majespecter is another matchup I'm pretty wary of. I haven't tested it personally, but on paper it looks like a disaster. Tornado is pretty nuts against the deck trying to lock you out with monsters, and 1-1 you out of the game with set traps. My cards just don't interact favorably with a lot of stuff in there deck. A third my traps are just bricks, and another third don't interact well against Tornado. This matchup might be bad enough, and uncommon enough to not even bother siding for, but the Masks are in the board anyway for whatever Monarch bullshit people are still trying to make work, so might as well bring them in. 

Storming is just a filler slot, could easily be anything else, I just needed another card I could reasonably bring in against Magician that also goes in vs. random rogue stuff. This might just become a 3rd Fairy Wind or Unwavering Bond.

I'm not sure how Blue-Eyes ever beats a turn 1 Fossil Dyna, even post-board, so I'm too worried there.

Fairy Winds go in against BA to tag Fog Blades.

I think Banishers are just there for Mermail

I really want to cut Eccentrick from the main too, I'm strongly considering a 2nd Wing in the main over it. There are just too many matchups where the card doesn't do anything.

dexer008    805

I'm surprised you didn't side anti-spell fragrance, but I'm guessing you were going for cards good for going second. Have you thought about galaxy typhoon? 1000 cost mst that banishes, so it's more effective then say mst vs magician as you said who could send the pulse to the extra deck when destroyed, then later they claim it back with oafdragon magician. 

Edit; The card is cosmic cyclone, my bad. 

Yeah, Fragrance doesn't solve the problems I need solved in the matchup. Going first is probably like 70-30 or better, but going 2nd is a bit of a disaster. 

Unwavering Bond is basically the same card as Cosmic Cyclone as far as this deck cares, except it hits Kirin / Bunbuku as well. You don't need to worry about Sky Iris protecting the Magician scales either, which is why I much prefer Fairy Wind to Cyclone as well. If I wanted a 1-1 for their scales, I'd play trap Typhoon, since it has utility going 2nd, but it ends up being so miserable when they have Sky Iris that it wasn't as impactful as Fairy Wind, which can easily be a 4 for 1 in the matchup.

Ferrous    70

You have a combined total of 5 Phantom Knights' Wing in your main and side deck, so clearly there is some mistake in one of those lists.

Also I'm wondering why you don't play Raigeki and removed Moon Mirror-Shield in the latest list since they both clear monsters if you go second without relying on your opponent attacking. If either of those cards are actually supposed to be one of the copies of Phantom Knights' wing, then never mind. Also what are your thoughts on running cards to protect your traps, such as huge revolution is over, fake trap, etc.

Anyways I really like the idea of having Gren Maju in the deck so you don't lose to Mystical Elf. Also a stun deck being able to do lethal damage quickly is great

8 minutes ago, Ferrous said:

You have a combined total of 5 Phantom Knights' Wing in your main and side deck, so clearly there is some mistake in one of those lists.

Also I'm wondering why you don't play Raigeki and removed Moon Mirror-Shield in the latest list since they both clear monsters if you go second without relying on your opponent attacking. If either of those cards are actually supposed to be one of the copies of Phantom Knights' wing, then never mind. Also what are your thoughts on running cards to protect your traps, such as huge revolution is over, fake trap, etc.

Anyways I really like the idea of having Gren Maju in the deck so you don't lose to Mystical Elf. Also a stun deck being able to do lethal damage quickly is great

I edited the OP since making the sideboard post. 3rd Jowgen and 3rd Unwavering Bond are in the sideboard currently.

I was playing Moon Mirror, which is generally a better card than Raigeki in this list until I realized it sets you up to get blown out by Dragonpulse and Farfa much more than something like Fog Blade or Wing, which generally serves the same role in protecting the Statue. It sucks having fewer cards to beat established boards, but at the same time I had it trimmed down to just a 1-of, was incredibly awkward when going 1st, and it felt like it was bad in every matchup that mattered.. A good portion of my traps still function when my opponent has a field, and the only totally unbreakable board for this deck is a Kirin, which neither Moon Mirror nor Raigeki can answer anyway. If I thought I'd reliably be able to clear their field after activation, I'd consider Swords of Concealing Light if only because it can answer Kirin, but I'm too scared of having a hand that would just go Swords, Statue with no way to clear the monsters before they flip back up. 

Raigeki has the same issue of being awkward going first, but it also doesn't function as protection, just to break boards. 

I'd rather have redundant traps and just let Twin Twister resolve on 2 cards than play potential blanks like Huge Revolution is Over. Cards like Wing help reduce the impact of Twin Twister even further. If I just have 5 traps down that all do approximately the same thing, I don't really care if Twin hits 2 of them, they can still only make 1 play per turn.

Played this for the philly regional yesterday, went 6-3 to lock up my invite for the season. Deck felt pretty good, the only losses were to things I knew I'd have trouble with. I dropped a match to Blue-Eyes after getting Skill Drained in game 2, and Book of Eclipsed in game 3. Dropped another match to Herald after bricking on monsters turn 1, and him going first with the nut Saffira + Herald + Stick Chair. Dropped my third match to Blue-Eyes again due to multiple Twin Twisters -> multiple Raigekis/Dark Holes to fight through Phantom Knight traps in game 2. In game 3 I opened Desires + Gren, but the Desires just drew 2 more Grens. I had Statue + 2 backrow, but lost to Twin Twister + Raigeki again. 

The wins were as unceremonious as the losses, I beat Blue-Eyes, a Monarch, Pendulum (who sided Denko and Decree), Triamid, and 2 Dark Synchro decks. 

I also was 8 for 9 in die rolls, with the only die roll loss being vs. the free Triamid matchup, but most of my match wins were 2-0 so it wasn't even that big of a deal. 

Post-event I'd strongly consider cutting Gren down to 2, he's really nice for closing the games, but you don't need to see him to win, and you rarely want to see multiples. Blazing Mirror Force probably shouldn't be a 3-of. Forbidden Lance might have a slot in here again with Jowgens demoted to the side, it sucks how bad it is against Majespecter monsters and established fields, but protecting from random shit like Swords of Concealing Light, Book of Eclipse, and Wind Blast makes it tempting. 

• Upvote 2