Danwolf

The Winged Dragon of Ra - Sphere Mode

Danwolf    10

Firstly I'm sorry if this has been posted before and I'm pretty sure it has a long time ago but couldn't find it when searching (did go back 3-4 pages). Also I'm probably repeating what people have said before. However looking at the current meta and the meta ahead it's worth saying again. Also I'm quite high on coffee... Anyway...

So about 5 minutes ago I was looking at outs to a full field backed up by Vanity's Emptiness/Other Flood Gates that say "No you can't play YGOs anymore" and after researching I saw Sphere Mode sitting there, locked away just staring at me and pop. Lightbulb switched on. It decimates the opponent's field, gets past Emptiness and can neck you a 4k Monster that also has a removal effect. Plus it has swag points.

With this if you look at the potential future of DDD / Treatoad Spam / ABC a majority of them will get a strong as fuck field out T1 / T2.

Also I do like Kaijus and I'd agree they do it better most of the time, but sometimes just getting rid of one monster isn't enough if you don't have Slumber or they could even have Vanity's. Also Kaijus seem to get mained in more decks now and sided a lot more. So if you still have a Kaiju on your side, it's not surprising to see your opponent special summon one to their side.

Anyway - below is Sphere Mode:

Sphere Mode 0/0 (Divine / Level 10)

Cannot be Special Summoned. Requires 3 Tributes from either side of the field to Normal Summon to that side of the field (cannot be Normal Set), then shift control to this card's owner during the End Phase of the next turn. Cannot attack. Your opponent cannot target this card for attacks or by card effects. You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "The Winged Dragon of Ra" from your hand or Deck, ignoring its Summoning conditions, and if you do, its ATK and DEF become 4000.

A couple of quick notes and I will probably add to this if/as people reply.

Good against - 3 Dante Fields / Herald, Saff, Mons / Infinity, ABC, and 1 other / Synchro Spam / Dark Law, Treatoad, Shark / DDD / Mermails if they don't manage to OTK you / Pend Spam / Anything that constantly leaves 3 monsters on the field
Useless against - I'll summon one/two monster(s) and beat you down with it, aka stun and some other decks

Positives:

• 0 Attack - Opponent can't hurt you with it
  • Level 10 - Opponent is unlikely to Synchro/XYZ with it (Unlikely to XYZ unless Trains/Dark Lords/Other Rank 10.deks)
  • Bypasses Vanity's Emptiness/Fiend
  • Has good protection for when it comes back to you
  • Card Advantage it's an instant +2 (taking 3 of your opponent's cards while losing 1 of yours and your opponent gains 1)
  • Has okay-ish support in terms of "The True Name" and "Mound of the Bound Creator" - The True Name being preferred if paired with PSZ.
  • Can turn into a 4k beater with a monster destruction effect.

Negatives:

• Protects your opponent
  • Can be used for Rank 10 XYZs
  • Uses your normal summon
  • Requires 3 Monsters on either side field and all 3 have to be on the same side (is a positive if your opponent has 3)
  • Cannot be special summoned or set.
  • Semi-screwed if your opponent has a Winged Dragon of Ra in hand / deck

A couple of decks at the moment can make an early game Beatrice so could end up sending a Phoenix Mode to the grave allowing you to have a recycling beater potentially. So this got into my head... if you can dump a Phoenix Mode easily you can have a little engine of the 3. I was thinking 2/3 (probably 2) Spheres, 1 Ra, 1 Phoenix. Your opponent is going to have to waste something to get rid off it.

Below are their effects if you had forgotten. One has a destruction of a monster effect, and the other can send one to the GY.

The Winged Dragon of Ra ?/? (Divine / Level 10)

Cannot be Special Summoned. Requires 3 Tributes to Normal Summon (cannot be Normal Set). This card's Normal Summon cannot be negated. When Normal Summoned, other cards and effects cannot be activated. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can pay Life Points so that you only have 100 left; this card gains ATK and DEF equal to the amount of Life Points paid. You can pay 1000 Life Points, then target 1 monster on the field; destroy that target.

Phoenix Mode 4000/4000 (Divine / Level 10)

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by its own effect, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. If "The Winged Dragon of Ra" is sent from the field to your Graveyard while this card is in your Graveyard: Special Summon this card. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect's activation. This card is unaffected by other cards' effects. You can pay 1000 LP; send 1 monster on the field to the Graveyard. Once per turn, during the End Phase: Send this card to the Graveyard, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "The Winged Dragon of Ra - Sphere Mode" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard, ignoring its Summoning conditions.

And here's Mound / True Name. Too be honest, I wouldn't run either but might be worth mentioning.

Mound of the Bound Creator

Level 10 or higher monsters on the field cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. If a Level 10 or higher monster on the field destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: The player who controlled the destroyed monster takes 1000 damage. When this card on the field is destroyed by a card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 DIVINE monster from your Deck to your hand.

The True Name

Declare 1 card name; excavate the top card of your Deck, and if it is the declared card, add it to your hand, then you can add to your hand, or Special Summon, 1 DIVINE monster from your Deck. Otherwise, send it to the Graveyard. You can only activate 1 "The True Name" per turn.

• Upvote 2

Warthog    165

Lava Golem exist too and is less restrictive. You still take up your normal summon but Lava Golem can be destroyed. It depends I guess on the fields you are trying to break. With Burning Abyss it can be considered. Neat that Sphere outs Emptiness.

• Upvote 3

Sess    282
On 15/09/2016 at 3:00 PM, Warthog said:

Lava Golem exist too and is less restrictive. You still take up your normal summon but Lava Golem can be destroyed. It depends I guess on the fields you are trying to break. With Burning Abyss it can be considered. Neat that Sphere outs Emptiness.

I definitely agree with you about lava golem. I've played as kozmo against burning abyss using that card and holy crap does it absolutely destroy kozmo. The BA player just has to drop lava golem over their monsters then make dante/beatrice and just sit on it until the kozmo player gets burned to death or will be in range of nightmare shark or barbar. Especially if the kozmo player does some sort of fire king kozmo and pays a ton of life to set-up a board.

Ra sphere mode is pretty neat but I think 3 monsters is a bit restrictive at the moment and the card could easily end up dead. It is very hard to come back from having sphere mode dropped on you though. Similar to laval golem it also depends on how dependant on normal summoning your deck is as stated above by Warthog.

• Upvote 1

Danwolf    10

I agree with you both, I feel like Ra is more damaging to some decks then Lava Golemn / Kaijus but 3 monsters is a bit restrictive especially against certain decks.

For locals / pissing about I side into 2 Ra Spheres / 1 Phoenix / 1 God but I wouldn't do that if going to Regs/LLDS. Oddly enough it has worked out a few times when I've sided into them but hand traps are a lot stronger such as Ghost Ogre / D.D. Crow / the "C" twins.

Other done other similar discussions on Pojo as well listing positives/negatives. Do you guys want me to continue that here?