2 x Maxx "c"

2 x Gamaciel

1 x Shaddoll Dragon

1 x Farfa of the B.A.

1 x Mind Control

1 x A.o.J. Cycle Reader

1 x Masked Hero Dark Law

1 x Colossal Fighter

I haven't seen much on this site about this deck, but it had been an extremely popular rougish deck in the OCG, leading to Level Eater's ban on the upcoming OCG list. Though the OCG has a bit more available in terms of broken spells to draw into - notably Monster Reborn and Card Destruction, the release of Gofu, Coral Dragon, and Allure of Darkness going to 3 has made this viable in the TCG as well.

Much like Synchro Fusionist variants of the Omega Hand Loop of the past, the point of this deck is to use Omega, Trishula, and D.D.R. to remove all 5 cards from your opponents hand during your first turn, leaving them with virtually no plays. Should they Maxx "c" you, decking out the opponent is also a legitimate wincon, as well as digging for Heavy Slump in this particular list. This particular decklist is the most successful one in the TCG that I've been able to find, so I wanted to start the discussion here.

The go-to 2-card combo is Gofu + a level 4 that gets Level Eater in grave. We'll use Arma for a simplistic example:

• SS Gofu, NS Arma.
  • Arma effect to send Level Eater.
  • SS Level Eater by reducing Gofu to lvl 4.
  • Synchro Gofu + Level Eater into Accel Synchron
  • Accel Synchron Effect to send Jet Synchron and raise Accel Synchron to level 6.
  • Discard a card in hand to ss Jet Synchron
  • Synchro Arma + Jet into Hyper Librarian.
  • SS Level Eater by reducing Accel to lvl 5.
  • Synchro Accel + Level Eater into Coral Dragon; Hyper eff +1
  • SS Level Eater by reducing Coral to lvl 5.
  • Synchro Coral Dragon + Level Eater into Stardust Charge Warrior; Hyper eff +1, Stardust Charge eff +1, Coral Dragon eff +1

Assuming a standard 5-card start, you should now have 6 cards in hand w/ Hyper Librarian and Stardust Charge Warrior on the field, and Level Eater in grave. From here the hope is you've drawn into ways to get level 1 tuners on the board (One for One, Resonator Call + Synkron Resonator, Foolish + GUB) or Plague and Malis in grave (Discard outlets, Grepher being most notable). Beatrice exist in the extra as a last resort method to get this necessary fodder in grave when you have access to Stardust Charge + Mali.

In using this decklist as a starting point, I have drawn a few general talking points that I would love for people to discuss with me:

• Maxing out on Grepher, Arma, and Monk (+ Rota)  serves to maximize the chance to both see these monsters alongside Gofu, and generally provide Level Eater, Mali, and Plague drops to get out of the early game.
    • However, I feel Monk tends to be least desired option, unless you've opened say multiple Instant Fusion, since most of your Spells are innately valuable on their own. Also, the Monk tends to sit on the board for a while assuming you've gone into the standard start I described above. I don't really have any good improvements for this in mind though, since I feel that level 4 access is so crucial to escaping the early game.
    • Further, this deck is really hampered by the lack of level 1 dark tuners that can recur themselves to the field. I have been contemplating something like Unknown Synchron, which turns Instant Fusion + Arma/Grepher into a much weaker opening than as Gofu + said level 4, but given the rest of your hand (or what Grepher discarded) may allow you to play out of starting hands you were unable to otherwise. Unknown Synchron also has some synergy with Jet/Accel, specifically when you were unable to make Accel before seeing Jet.
  • Black Garden is fine and easily manipulated to grab either Mali or Coral Dragon as needed. While its revival effect is appreciated, I often feel that once I'm at the point in the game where this is useful, I can finish comboing out without it. This slot may be better served by say Upstart Goblin, which actually helps me escape the early game.
  • Heavy Slump is a killer but I don't always feel comfortable maining it. I think this may have more to do with my unfamiliarity with the meta and hand trap choices, though with a few events finishing up this weekend, maybe hand trap choices will stabilize one way or the other.

I feel this deck is a really strong choice given how consistent it has been in testing to achieve its primary wincon, and the few lists that topped at the start of September. However I'm also uneasy about the fact that I haven't heard much about this deck the past 2 weekends; I can't tell if it just sucks over a longer event, if there isn't enough exposure to this particular variant, or if the people piloting the deck simply lack the skill/experience to play it to a successful finish. In some ways it reminds me of Gishkill by ACP, in that I feel that this is one of the stronger decks to play but there is virtually no buzz about it.

Unnecessary context for those interested:

I would like to play this at my OTS this upcoming Saturday. I haven't played much since April, so I either lack the cards to play newer decks like Metalfoes, Blue-Eyes, or I didn't really enjoy how inconsistent I found some of the older decks post-list. I ended up already having a playset of Grephers, and the cards I had to acquire for this deck (primarily in the extra) seemed liked they would be valuable to own even if I flopped with this deck. Sadly, getting every card has taken awhile, so I haven't been able to participate in the tournaments leading up to this OTS for practice; I'm virtually blind going second and what to expect in terms of siding. On a positive note, I feel I will be most successful with this deck if no one is prepared for it, so at least my lack of participation in these tournaments may help me there. I have been able to judge these past few tournaments as well, which has given me the opportunity to take in the field and gauge some technical play and main boards. Before I stopped playing consistently, I was one of the stronger technical players at my locals, so I feel confident in that aspect going into this OTS, especially relative to what I have observed.

Finally, in order to sell you on trying this out and in turn helping me ^_^ :

I enjoy playing this deck because I've found that while it is degenerate and masturbatory, it reminds me of synchro decks of old, in that there is a high reward for good technical play, while poor technical play can lead you to dead-ends, i.e. loss. My approach to this deck, especially in regards to choosing it in this relatively diverse meta, is that most successful decks seek to establish first-turn boards that otherwise lock their opponents out of play (MetalFoes/FK Kozmo) or creative boards that are both reactive and overbearing (BAPK/BlueEyes). I find that these opening boards really just boil down maximizing the number of cards they have effectively negated from their opponents starting hand, in hope that whatever is left will leave them unable to compete. This deck literally tries to do the same thing but instead wants to grab every card, while often turning getting Maxx "c"'d into a winning situation, rather than a disadvantageous state. If you enjoy this type of technical play, or approach to winning, or the nostalgia of making Librarian + Formula, I recommend you try it out.

Thanks for reading, please let me know if I can elaborate or edit down anywhere for clarity.

• Upvote 4

Sanjura    6663

Where Arf Thou? is absurd for getting access to Synkron Resonator and Level Eater if you have to normal Grepher. I'd like to see more draw power in Upstart/Desires - all the cards you want to see are at 3 anyway sans Soul Charge. I might have missed it but did you consider Gold Sarc since you're playing DDR? Sarc for Gofu and DDR pitch Eater seems juice but I could just be reaching here. :(

byak    4478

Gofu needs to be properly special summoned before summoning it with something like ddr 

Winter    21

OCG banned LE because of this shit, TCG needs to follow suit

The card needs an OPT errata really badly. Just limiting Omega doesn't do enough. You can still rob 4 cards from the hand and end on double Quasar

Now one could make the argument that HL should be banned instead, and I guess that's fair, but HL helps other decks synchro  like DD. LE is only run in these shitty everything goes decks

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sanjura    6663
2 hours ago, byak said:

Gofu needs to be properly special summoned before summoning it with something like ddr 

well fuk

eh even still you could get monk/grepher/Arma but that sounds awful at that point. rip

Gabe3Vino    77
32 minutes ago, Sanjura said:

well fuk

eh even still you could get monk/grepher/Arma but that sounds awful at that point. rip

Semi in line with your idea, it's a totally valid (and sometines it's the only) line of play to banish Grepher/Arma with Allure, to D.D.R. it back. Playing 2 means you can afford to use one as an engine piece while still having the other for the 4th Omega eff.

Gabe3Vino    77
1 hour ago, Winter said:

OCG banned LE because of this shit, TCG needs to follow suit

The card needs an OPT errata really badly. Just limiting Omega doesn't do enough. You can still rob 4 cards from the hand and end on double Quasar

Now one could make the argument that HL should be banned instead, and I guess that's fair, but HL helps other decks synchro  like DD. LE is only run in these shitty everything goes decks

I think more importantly, in terms of lessons the TCG can learn from this, is that if they thought this deck was degenerate enough to ban a key engine piece, and we can replicate it to like 95%, then why isn't as successful in the TCG? Or does it have the ability but not the player pool behind it?

• Upvote 2

Winter    21
16 minutes ago, Gabe3Vino said:

I think more importantly, in terms of lessons the TCG can learn from this, is that if they thought this deck was degenerate enough to ban a key engine piece, and we can replicate it to like 95%, then why isn't as successful in the TCG? Or does it have the ability but not the player pool behind it?

Honestly not sure why it wouldn't pick up in TCG. Hell with Armageddon at 3, we have a much higher chance of getting the Gofugeddon play needed to pull off the loop. That pretty easily offsets the one Monster Reborn we would lose. 

It might just be an exposure deal with people not hearing about the deck until now. Took a few tops for Monarch FTK to pick up right?

FVFRYTHFNG    346

Don't have time to go into detail but I'll just throw out a couple of things, maybe you'll find them useful

When we tested the full set of Gold Sarc for similar reasons we played around with Resonance Insect to Directly Foolish Level Eater:

ResonanceInsect-DUEA-EN-C-UE.png

Of course it's a complete brick when you draw it since it has 0 utility (the first effect searches nothing relevant either) and contributes towards nothing but this deck has lots of situational cards that end up being discarded for D.D.R or Jet or even Hand Destruction or whatever, and once you have the Librarian assembled off 2-3 card combos it's irrelevant.

Very surprised to not see you playing X Desires and 3 Where Arf Thou as Sanjura said, particularly Where Arf Thou since you don't care about the damage at all when you win and it isn't OPT. Anecdotal, but Desires banishing so many cards that you deck out/have no more tuners is incredibly rare and can be mitigated with perfect technical play. (multiple) De-Synchro is also reasonable but I'd much rather focus on assembling the combo as often as possible before resorting to Cantrips that only work once you're already playing; you seldom run out of steam once you stick Librarian unless you fuck up. D.D.R is much more versatile outside of using it for the 4th Omega imo, and has hidden potential.

Some of the more useful niche level 1 cards include Jester Confit (Being an unconditional Special Summon from the hand @ level 1 is incredibly useful in some outlier hands  to get you out of the early game but the value depreciates greatly later, mostly just there for when you can't reduce for Level Eater and to fill in levels), D.D. Sprite increases the density of level 1 Tuners and is very handy at clearing space (Like for example, Summoner Monks), plus it has the added benefit of the favourable interaction with D.D.R later on.

I'm convinced there is a Secret Unicorn version of this deck that has something to do with D.D.R, Re-Fusion (potentially Fusionist somehow) and general Equip Spell abuse with Power Tool Dragon but I've never bothered to put the pieces together; I've messed around with super consistent Zombie PTD/AFD/Norden abuse decks back when Chicken Game was at 3 and that was always absurdly powerful but it was always impossible to take more than 4 cards out of their hand. 

• Upvote 1

Gabe3Vino    77

I guess my viewpoint re: Where Arf Thou? was that if you already controlled a level 1 monster, the only level 1 you could search that would be useful would be Synkron Resonator, which is already searchable via Resonator Calling. That's under my assumption though that by controlling a level 1 already, most likely Level Eater, that I had already used my Normal Summon to get in in the grave in the first place. Searching additional Level Eaters, or say GUB, at that point wouldn't be as useful other than as discard fodder, although I admit I may be looking at it too narrowly. I think I need to spend some time considering what conditions that search my be helpful. Or if even that many more cards to search out Synkron Resonator improves the early/midgame, since he is quite the combo enabler with a Level Eater in grave. I know some OCG list were playing Synkron at 2 for this reason.

D.D. Sprite is definitely an interesting tuner to look at; I remember when it was released being disappointed by its summoning effect, but in this type of deck with a turn 1 wincon, it's definitely a piece to be considered. Especially as you note with it's interactions with D.D.R. In general I find that the deck really just wants more great level 1 tuners, but again Synkron Resonator might just be better in multiples then this additional standalone. 

Really the one downfall I would consider truly limiting to this deck is how little 1 card plays there are - in the form of Arma being able to dump something to lead you somewhere. Even Arma -> Plague is very lackluster without supportive pieces, since Stardust Charge only gets you back the card you had to put on deck for plague. 

Re: Pot of Desires, I guess I'm very risk averse to losing any number of Mali's/Plague's, or power spells. I agree that in general the ratios are favorable in terms of what is likely to get banished, and I also understand the mindset of you hold off on Desires until you have at least a bit of set-up anyway. Mostly I guess it's been a combination of my own laziness in performing calculations, and cheapness at not picking them up, stemming from the list I found that topped not utilizing it. But certainly more cards that help escape the early game would be helpful; for this reason I've been looking at other FTK decks like ACP's gishkill; and thus contemplating things like Hand Destruction, which is overall a neg but at least can somewhat mold the graveyard, and Dark World Dealings, which likewise is a neg that can fill the grave and has the added bonus of providing more utility to the Trishula effect. Maybe something like Into the Void would be useful as well?

• Upvote 1

Muntz    52

Looked into the Blackwing engine and came up with this;

Blackwing.PNG

23 Monsters:

3 Blackwing - Gofu the Vague Shadow
3 Dark Grepher
3 Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite
3 Armageddon Knight
3 Level Eater
3 Blackwing - Oroshi the Squall
2 Summoner Monk
1 Plaguespreader Zombie
1 Jet Synchron
1 Glow-Up Bulb

17 Spells:
3 Allure of Darkness
3 Pot of Desires
3 Into the Void
3 D.D.R. - Different Dimension Reincarnation
1 One for One
1 Reinforcement of the Army
1 Soul Charge
1 Upstart Goblin
1 Foolish Burial

Extra:
3 PSY-Framelord Omega
3 Assault Blackwing - Sohaya the Rain Storm
2 Formula Synchron
1 Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Ancient Fairy Dragon
1 Coral Dragon
1 Stardust Charge Warrior
1 T.G. Hyper Librarian
1 Accel Synchron
1 Tatsunoko

Here's the 3 card Blackwing combo using Grepher+ Oroshi + LE/Zepyhros.

• NS Grepher
  • Grepher eff, discard LE/Zephyros, send the other from deck
  • Bounce Grepher, SS Zephyros
  • SS Oroshi
  • Synchro Zephyros + Oroshi into Sohaya #1
  • SS LE by reducing Sohaya #1 to level 4
  • Synchro LE + Sohaya #1 for Sohaya #2
  • Sohaya #2 eff to SS Sohaya #1
  • SS LE by reducing Sohaya #2 to level 4
  • Synchro LE + Sohaya #2 for Accel Synchron
  • Accel Synchron effect to send Jet Synchron to grave, reducing it's level to 4
  • SS LE by reducing Sohaya #1 to level 4
  • Synchro LE + Accel Synchron for TGHL
  • SS Jet Synchron by discarding a card
  • Synchro Jet Synchron + Sohaya #1 for Sohaya #3
  • SS LE by reducing T.G. HL to level 4
  • Synchro LE + Sohaya #3 for Coral Dragon, draw 1
  • SS LE by reducing Coral Dragon to level 5
  • Synchro LE + Coral Dragon for Stardust Charge Warrior, draw 3

When doing the standard Gofu combo, you summon 2 Sohaya before the Accel Synchron which gives you an extra body on board at the end of it that also enables Oroshi.

I'm terrible at structuring my thoughts, so I'll just post them as a semi-connected mess.

Reasoning, Black Garden and Dopplewarrior are just suboptimal cards - Reasoning is generally a dud when people call 4, Black Garden getting back Coral Dragon is only applicable when your combo is already going off and Dopplewarrior doesn't really help extend combos since it's usually Tuner's you're looking for, not non-Tuners.

Before adding in the Blackwing engine, the deck bricked the majority of the time when you don't see Gofu, so adding in draw power to see it more often seemed correct, problem was that Desires didn't work well with Mali or the Resonator engine. Blackwing engine replaces then well since the Mali equivalent is in your extra deck and you run multiple Tuners instead of 1 Tuner + searchers. On top of working better with the draw engine, they gave you an alternate way to start the combo.

DDR at 3 is a no brainer, you need at least 1 to loop 5 and it acts as extra Tuners. Grabbing Plaguespreader and then using Zephyros to bounce the DDR is also a thing.

I've considered a 2nd Jet Synchron as drawing/banishing it ruins both combos. You'd play it over one of the draw cards.

Instant Fusion is the 41st-43rd card in the deck as well as 16th card in the extra IMO. If you were to play it, you'd cut a set of the draw cards and AFD.

You could also scrap the Desires + 1 other card for the Gold Sarc engine since it can combo with Oroshi + Level 4. I guess that also makes it a budget option.

Initial thoughts on the side is some kind of pseudo smokescreen by changing out all of the cards that just help combo (LE, Blackwings in main deck and extra etc) for cards that are better going second (Hand Traps, Kaijus, Hi-Speed Chanbara, Instant Fusion etc), but I haven't really thought too hard about is as I don't plan on playing any tournaments in the near future.

Lightflare    0

While I do agree with you that reasoning, Doppel and black garden are bad choices for the deck, I'm not convinced that the blackwing + desires and Into The Void route is the most optimal one. The deck is already really consistent at what it does, which is going first and make your opponent go second with only the card they just drew. What the deck needs is a way to break boards going second. I think that maining 2-3 Radian, the multidimensional kaiju is good for this deck, because it gets over spirit dragon, infinity, ABC dragon buster, Treatoad, etc., can be bounced with black rose moonlight or destroyed with crystal wing/trishula. Going first, it's a good allure target in case you draw it, so it has the most synergy out of all the kaijus/removal for the deck.

Gabe3Vino    77

Glad to see people still thinking about this deck. I had my OTS last Saturday and I'll do a mini-report later on when I have time; hopefully my experience might be useful to others, and I have some more solid conclusions having actually been able to play games. I still believe this deck has the highest ceiling with perfect technical play, but is also definitely one of the more unforgiving decks in the current meta.

I was actually pretty pleasantly surprised how well this deck was able to play going second/through backrow. Game 1's against the Solemn cards were typically very difficult but otherwise, Coral Dragon alongside smart play were usually enough to move forward. Game2's and 3's were usually fine with Shadoll Dragon and Twin Twister.

I think more pressing of an issue that I haven't been able to deal with is an Effect Veiler/multiple hand traps. Maxx "c" is somewhat of a lesser threat if you have the combo, although it can also be a pain when you don't have the loop and are just trying to dig. A lot of people had Ghost Ogre, which was very ineffective, even if it did deny the further Hyper Librarian draws. But a Veiler was almost always a turn stopper if they saw it on my NS. I had been contemplating if there was a way to get Herald of the Arc Light out easily and early, but this deck discards from hand/sends to grave from deck so often that I disregarded it as infeasible.

Lightflare    0

Would really like to see your report and decklist from your OTS. I've got an LLDS and a regionals coming up in the next 2 weeks, so I really need to sort out my build ASAP.

Gabe3Vino    77

OTS Rochester, NY - 61 entrants

Decklist:

24 Monsters:

3 x D-Hero Malicious

3 x Blackwing - Gofu the Vague Shadow

3 x Dark Grepher

3 x Armageddon Knight

3 x Level Eater

2 x Summoner Monk

2 x Plague Spreader

1 x Jet Synchron

1 x Glow-Up Bulb

1 x Red Resonator

1 x Synkron Resonator

1 x Doppel Warrior

16 Spells:

3 x Instant Fusion

3 x Allure of Darkness

2 x Resonator Call

2 x D.D. Reincarnation.

1 x Foolish Burial

1 x One for One

1 x Soul Charge

1 x Reinforcement of the Army

1 x Reasoning

1 x Upstart Goblin

1 Trap:

1 x Vanity's Emptiness

Extra

3 x Omega

2 x Formula Synchron

1 x Hyper librarian

1 x Accel Synchron

1 x Tatsunoko

1 x Coral Dragon

1 x Stardust Charge Warrior

1 x Ancient Fairy Dragon

1 x Trishula

1 x Crystal Wing

1 x Noden

1 x Beatrice

Side

3 x Twin Twister

2 x Mask Change II

2 x Maxx "c"

2 x Gamaciel

1 x Shaddoll Dragon

1 x Farfa of the B.A.

1 x Raigeki

1 x A.o.J. Cycle Reader

1 x Masked Hero Dark Law

1 x Colossal Fighter

Decklist Comments:

I kept the List pretty close to what I originally posted. The changes I made were trading Black Garden for Upstart, and Heavy Slump for Vanity's Emptiness. I couldn't get a Heavy Slump in time, but I think I may have still played VE instead; my rationale being that VE would be good in situations where I couldn't fully combo out, which would be more likely to happen than the case of nearly decking my opponent out. In hindsight, I should have also replaced Doppelwarrior with something else; it was discussed previously how little he actually does, and he was never relevant in the tournament to me, except perhaps as a discard. Maybe another Synkron Resonator?

I also would side something other than Colossal Fighter; I found it too difficult to make him AND have the correct number of warriors in grave for him to be a threat. I never ran into the situation where a BE player Maxx "c"'d me, and I could have decked them out with Colossal. I may have been siding wrong, but I thought it would be best to side out Crystal Wing in situations where Colossal/Dark Law might come up, to maintain my loop ability, and Crystal Wing would have always been superior.

Report:

BTW here's some needed context for the day. I actually hadn't played a single game against anyone with the deck, and I didn't enter a tournament for ~3 months before this OTS. As such, all of my preparation was goldfishing turn 1 going first hands, and some scouting when I judged locals a few days before. This deck really relies on very good to perfect technical play, especially so in situations where you can't combo out. Going into the first match, and throughout the day, I thought I played pretty well despite being very nervous and rusty (an awful excuse btw), but of my few technical mistakes (of which I recall 3-4), 2 of them severely cost me.

Match 1 vs. BA PK:

Game 1:

I lost the die roll, he chose to go first, and I felt my starting hand was straight garbage, so this started off as pretty much my nightmare scenario, given my lack of prep. I believe my starting 5 were 2 Summoner Monk, Plague, 2 monsters I don't recall (I think 1 was a Synkron Resonator)? I really dislike Monk since I prefer the power of the spells I play, and he wasn't even live, so I was pretty nervous.

He started off using Terrortop to search and make Dante, milled 3 bad cards, and set 2. I drew Instant Fusion for turn, and he flipped Anti-Spell Fragrance in my standby, which actually worked out given my hand. I summoned Monk, discarded IF, and he didn't use his set, so I went into Grepher and discarded PSZ for LE. I placed the 2nd Monk on top of my deck for PSZ, and went into Coral Dragon, discarding one of the blank monsters to pop his set (it was a Twin Twister).  I ss'd LE bringing Coral to 5, and ss'd SR to make Formula. Then I ss'd LE again bring Coral to 4, and synchro'd for Omega using Coral and Grepher (drawing a card off Coral in the process). Omega ran over Dante and LE poked for 600.

On his turn he drew to 3 in hand. I believe he NS'd TGU, ss Graph, made Dante and milled Scarm, and ss'd Cir, ran over LE and Formula, set one more card, and searched a BA in the EP. My turn, I returned PSZ to my grave w/ Omega. I don't remember the exact specifics but I made Trishula, banishing a BA in his hand, Graph from grave, and I believe the Dante from his field. I believe I also made a Crystal Wing this turn with Omega. I ran over and negated his Cir, and poked direct with Trish and LE. He scooped on his next draw, revealing a 2nd Twin Twister set to me.

Game 2:

I sided out Crystal Wing, Doppel, 1 Monk, 1 Knight, 1 LE, and 1 IF for Dark Law, 2 Mask Change II, Shaddoll Dragon and 2 Maxx "c".

He went first, set 4 backrow and passed. On my turn I think I once again used Coral Drag to pop 1 of his backrow (another Twin Twister) and poked for damage. His turn he set a monster and passed. On my turn I popped another backrow, then summoned a 4 to send Shaddoll Dragon to pop another. I believe I could have made a level 8 here, and if I had kept in Crystal Wing I would have won straight out, but since I sided him out I just made an Omega. His monster turned out to be a irrelevant so I ended and he scooped after seeing his draw. He revealed to me he had opened 2 Twin Twisters again.

So pretty unlucky for him g2, but I thought I had played pretty smartly g1 to systematically remove his advantages. Again I was real nervous this entire match as this was my first actual duel with anyone in many weeks, and I felt confident I was able to win without looping.

Match 2 vs. Mermail:

Game 1:

I won the die roll and opened the hand loop. I was able to see he was playing Mermail.

Game 2:

I once again sided out Crystal Wing out for Dark Law, since I wanted to keep my combo synchros in. I believe he let me go first, but although I opened Gofu + Arma, I also opened Jet, so I didn't see a clear path to the loop. He immediately maxx c'd me on the Gofu summon anyway, so I just went Gofu Arma to send something pass to deny a card and set up for next turn (I think I sent Mali?). He did Mermail things on his turn but wasn't able to kill me.

My memory isn't clear but eventually we reached a state where his board was a Megalo w/ Scale, Prince, and I think Marksman? with 0 in hand. I drew a GUB for turn, and my only play was to ss Mali into AFD, into another level 8. IF I had kept Crystal Wing in I think I could've won off just making it and running over either Prince or Megalo, since I don't think he had relevant Prince sends left, but since I had sided it out, I was forced to go into Omega. Omega ran over Megalo and I ss'd Mali in def. His turn I believe he was able to make Tatsunoku into Leo and then just ran me over to 0.

Game 3:

I was pretty upset with myself since I felt sure that if I hadn't sided Crystal Wing out I would've won. I sided back into turn 1 maximize hand loop shenanigans, but I'm not sure if it was correct to do so, seeing as I saw he played hand traps and his deck also wants to OTK.

I went first and had the ability to loop. He immediately Maxx "c"'d me on my Gofu summon, and then Veiler'd my Arma. I had Foolish in hand so I was still able to Send LE, which he then D.D. Crowed. At that point I was forced to pass. He summoned Prince, went into Megalo, and cleared my board and set 1, with 0 in hand.  On my NS he Strike'd and I scooped. I don't know if it was correct to go first, but I really should have never reached Game 3 if I had just sided properly game 2.

Match 3 vs Blue-Eyes

Game1:

I actually faced the brother of my previous opponent so he knew what I was playing. I think he started, but had a weak board of 2 fake sets (Return and Soul Charge) with Alternative in hand.  It ended up not mattering as I looped his hand/cleared his whole board, once I got plowed through the nonreal sets.

Game 2:

I don't remember the specifics of this game at all, except that it was super grindy. At a certain point he made a board of Crystal Wing + Azure + something else, and I once again could have made my own Crystal Wing alongside my board to probably win, but I had sided out Crystal Wing, this time thinking Colossal would be more helpful. The Colossal I ended up making ended up being useless and time was called. I lost this game, and later on I found out we should have been able to draw, but the floor judge told us to play a game 3.

Game 3:

I chose to go second, since we only had 2 turns each. He once again started a monster and 2 backrow, but once again they weren't real (1 was Soul Charge again!) and I won in time easily.

Match 4 vs Infernoid

Game 1:

Hand Looped easily, he didn't scoop so I saw he was playing infernoid.

Game 2:

He chooses to starts and ends on a level 1 dude w/ spell negation eff, and 2 sets. I opened some small dudes + Grepher + IF . I'm able to summon Grepher, run over the level 1, and send stuff to grave. He Soul Drains me so I think I just passed, and on his turn he had to summon the level 2 guy with 2k defense. I bait the removal on my turn with IF, as the rest of the cards in my hand would still let me go off. I had the ability to either make a Hyper Librarian to combo out, or a Coral Dragon to pop the Soul Drain and slow roll it. I go for the aggressive Hyper Librarian play, and he instantly flips Vanity's Emptiness, stopping me from doing doing anything else.

On his turn he uses Raiden to turn off his own Emptiness, and hits enough monsters to clear my board/gain control the rest of the game with the Soul Drain still on the board. If I had just gone for the Coral Dragin to pop the Soul drain immediately, I believe I would have been better off long term, but I didn't respect the 2nd backrow.

Game 3:

I sided in my backrow removal this game and I let him go first, believing he has no good turn 1 plays beyond backrow and a weak negation.

He ends up sending the monster  negator with the level 1, going into Goyo Defender with it and the level 2, summons 2 more Defenders to make Leviair, Summons the Monster negator by banishing the previous 2 + 1 in hand, and Levairs back the level 1 to send the spell negator.

I opened with Soul Charge and with things to send, but I couldn't deal with his negations without both my battle phase and Soul Charge. He won this pretty quickly. Again, not so salty about the game 3 hand of my opponent so much as mad at myself for even letting it reach that point.

Match 5 vs Pendulum

Game 1:

I looped his hand.

Game 2:

I set up a board and he scooped on his draw. He seemed pretty upset about his previous round so idk.

Only 1 x-2 ended up getting into the Top 8; I placed somewhere in the teens as both of my losses ended x-2 or worse. Overall I was pleased with both 1. how often I was able to loop, and 2. how well I was able to play into peoples boards, barring multiple turn-stopper cards ala Veiler + Strike. I definitely wish I had been able to complete the deck earlier, so as to have test run it at a locals beforehand; I attribute both of my losses to poor play/decisions by me, especially in regards to siding. I still think this deck has the highest potential for straight out wins, but there are definitely more forgiving decks in the current meta.

• Upvote 1

Gabe3Vino    77

OTS Rochester, NY - 61 entrants

Decklist:

24 Monsters:
3 x D-Hero Malicious
3 x Blackwing - Gofu the Vague Shadow
3 x Dark Grepher
3 x Armageddon Knight
3 x Level Eater
2 x Summoner Monk
2 x Plague Spreader
1 x Jet Synchron
1 x Glow-Up Bulb
1 x Red Resonator
1 x Synkron Resonator
1 x Doppel Warrior

16 Spells:
3 x Instant Fusion
3 x Allure of Darkness
2 x Resonator Call
2 x D.D. Reincarnation.
1 x Foolish Burial
1 x One for One
1 x Soul Charge
1 x Reinforcement of the Army
1 x Reasoning
1 x Upstart Goblin

1 Trap:
1 x Vanity's Emptiness

Extra
3 x Omega
2 x Formula Synchron
1 x Hyper librarian
1 x Accel Synchron
1 x Tatsunoko
1 x Coral Dragon
1 x Stardust Charge Warrior
1 x Ancient Fairy Dragon
1 x Trishula
1 x Crystal Wing
1 x Noden
1 x Beatrice

Side
3 x Twin Twister
2 x Mask Change II
2 x Maxx "c"
2 x Gamaciel
1 x Shaddoll Dragon
1 x Farfa of the B.A.
1 x Raigeki
1 x A.o.J. Cycle Reader
1 x Masked Hero Dark Law
1 x Colossal Fighter

Decklist Comments:

I kept the List pretty close to what I originally posted. The changes I made were trading Black Garden for Upstart, and Heavy Slump for Vanity's Emptiness. I couldn't get a Heavy Slump in time, but I think I may have still played VE instead; my rationale being that VE would be good in situations where I couldn't fully combo out, which would be more likely to happen than the case of nearly decking my opponent out. In hindsight, I should have also replaced Doppelwarrior with something else; it was discussed previously how little he actually does, and he was never relevant in the tournament to me, except perhaps as a discard. Maybe another Synkron Resonator?

I also would side something other than Colossal Fighter; I found it too difficult to make him AND have the correct number of warriors in grave for him to be a threat. I never ran into the situation where a BE player Maxx "c"'d me, and I could have decked them out with Colossal. I may have been siding wrong, but I thought it would be best to side out Crystal Wing in situations where Colossal/Dark Law might come up, to maintain my loop ability, and Crystal Wing would have always been superior.

Report:

BTW here's some needed context for the day. I actually hadn't played a single game against anyone with the deck, and I didn't enter a tournament for ~3 months before this OTS. As such, all of my preparation was goldfishing turn 1 going first hands, and some scouting when I judged locals a few days before. This deck really relies on very good to perfect technical play, especially so in situations where you can't combo out. Going into the first match, and throughout the day, I thought I played pretty well despite being very nervous and rusty (an awful excuse btw), but of my few technical mistakes (of which I recall 3-4), 2 of them severely cost me.

Match 1 vs. BA PK:

Game 1:

I lost the die roll, he chose to go first, and I felt my starting hand was straight garbage, so this started off as pretty much my nightmare scenario, given my lack of prep. I believe my starting 5 were 2 Summoner Monk, Plague, 2 monsters I don't recall (I think 1 was a Malicious)? I really dislike Monk since I prefer the power of the spells I play, and he wasn't even live, so I was pretty nervous.

He started off using Terrortop to search and make Dante, milled 3 bad cards, and set 2. I drew Instant Fusion for turn, and he flipped Anti-Spell Fragrance in my standby, which actually worked out given my hand. I summoned Monk, discarded IF, and he didn't use his set, so I went into Grepher and discarded PSZ for LE. I placed the 2nd Monk on top of my deck for PSZ, and went into Coral Dragon, discarding Mali to pop his set (it was a Twin Twister).  I ss'd LE bringing Coral to 5, and made Stardust Charge, drawing 2. Then I summoned a Mali, and overlayed to make Beatrice in def, detaching Mali to send another PGZ. I used the 3rd Mali to make Omega, summoned LE, and then ran over Dante, and used Grepher and LE to poke.

On his turn he drew to 3 in hand. I believe he NS'd TGU, ss Graph, made Dante and milled Scarm, and ss'd Cir, ran over LE and Grepher, set one more card, and searched a BA in the EP. My turn, I returned PSZ to my grave w/ Omega. I don't remember the exact specifics but I made Trishula somehow after using my Beatrice, banishing a BA in his hand, Graph from grave, and I believe the Dante from his field. I believe I also made a Crystal Wing this turn with Omega. I ran over and negated his Cir, and poked direct with Trish and LE and Beatrice for game.

Game 2:

I sided out Crystal Wing, Doppel, 1 Monk, 1 Knight, 1 LE, and 1 IF for Dark Law, 2 Mask Change II, Shaddoll Dragon and 2 Maxx "c".

He went first, set 4 backrow and passed. On my turn I think I once again used Coral Drag to pop 1 of his backrow (another Twin Twister) and poked for damage. His turn he set a monster and passed. On my turn I popped another backrow, then summoned a 4 to send Shaddoll Dragon to pop another. I believe I could have made a level 8 here, and if I had kept in Crystal Wing I would have won straight out, but since I sided him out I just made an Omega. His monster turned out to be a irrelevant so I ended and he scooped after seeing his draw. He revealed to me he had opened 2 Twin Twisters again.

So pretty unlucky for him g2, but I thought I had played pretty smartly g1 to systematically remove his advantages. Again I was real nervous this entire match as this was my first actual duel with anyone in many weeks, and I felt confident I was able to win without looping.

Match 2 vs. Mermail:

Game 1:

I won the die roll and opened the hand loop. I was able to see he was playing Mermail.

Game 2:
I once again sided out Crystal Wing out for Dark Law, since I wanted to keep my combo synchros in. I believe he let me go first, but although I opened Gofu + Arma, I also opened Jet, so I didn't see a clear path to the loop. He immediately maxx c'd me on the Gofu summon anyway, so I just went Gofu Arma to send something pass to deny a card and set up for next turn (I think I sent Mali?). He did Mermail things on his turn but wasn't able to kill me.

My memory isn't clear but eventually we reached a state where his board was a Megalo w/ Scale, Prince, and I think Marksman? with 0 in hand. I drew a GUB for turn, and my only play was to ss Mali into AFD, into another level 8. IF I had kept Crystal Wing in I think I could've won off just making it and running over either Prince or Megalo, since I don't think he had relevant Prince sends left, but since I had sided it out, I was forced to go into Omega. Omega ran over Megalo and I ss'd Mali in def. His turn I believe he was able to make Tatsunoku into Leo and then just ran me over to 0.

Game 3:
I was pretty upset with myself since I felt sure that if I hadn't sided Crystal Wing out I would've won. I sided back into turn 1 maximize hand loop shenanigans, but I'm not sure if it was correct to do so, seeing as I saw he played hand traps and his deck also wants to OTK.

I went first and had the ability to loop. He immediately Maxx "c"'d me on my Gofu summon, and then Veiler'd my Arma. I had Foolish in hand so I was still able to Send LE, which he then D.D. Crowed. At that point I was forced to pass. He summoned Prince, went into Megalo, and cleared my board and set 1, with 0 in hand.  On my NS he Strike'd and I scooped. I don't know if it was correct to go first, but I really should have never reached Game 3 if I had just sided properly game 2.

Match 3 vs Blue-Eyes

Game1:
I actually faced the brother of my previous opponent so he knew what I was playing. I think he started, but had a weak board of 2 fake sets (Return and Soul Charge) with Alternative in hand.  It ended up not mattering as I looped his hand/cleared his whole board, once I got plowed through the nonreal sets.

Game 2:
I don't remember the specifics of this game at all, except that it was super grindy. At a certain point he made a board of Crystal Wing + Azure + something else, and I once again could have made my own Crystal Wing alongside my board to probably win, but I had sided out Crystal Wing, this time thinking Colossal would be more helpful. The Colossal I ended up making ended up being useless and time was called. I lost this game, and later on I found out we should have been able to draw, but the floor judge told us to play a game 3.

Game 3:
I chose to go second, since we only had 2 turns each. He once again started a monster and 2 backrow, but once again they weren't real (1 was Soul Charge again!) and I won in time easily.

Match 4 vs Infernoid

Game 1:

Hand Looped easily, he didn't scoop so I saw he was playing infernoid.

Game 2:
He chooses to starts and ends on a level 1 dude w/ spell negation eff, and 2 sets. I opened some small dudes + Grepher + IF . I'm able to summon Grepher, run over the level 1, and send stuff to grave. He Soul Drains me so I think I just passed, and on his turn he had to summon the level 2 guy with 2k defense. I bait the removal on my turn with IF, as the rest of the cards in my hand would still let me go off. I had the ability to either make a Hyper Librarian to combo out, or a Coral Dragon to pop the Soul Drain and slow roll it. I go for the aggressive Hyper Librarian play, and he instantly flips Vanity's Emptiness, stopping me from doing doing anything else.

On his turn he uses Raiden to turn off his own Emptiness, and hits enough monsters to clear my board/gain control the rest of the game with the Soul Drain still on the board. If I had just gone for the Coral Dragin to pop the Soul drain immediately, I believe I would have been better off long term, but I didn't respect the 2nd backrow.

Game 3:

I sided in my backrow removal this game and I let him go first, believing he has no good turn 1 plays beyond backrow and a weak negation.

He ends up sending the monster  negator with the level 1, going into Goyo Defender with it and the level 2, summons 2 more Defenders to make Leviair, Summons the Monster negator by banishing the previous 2 + 1 in hand, and Levairs back the level 1 to send the spell negator.

I opened with Soul Charge and with things to send, but I couldn't deal with his negations without both my battle phase and Soul Charge. He won this pretty quickly. Again, not so salty about the game 3 hand of my opponent so much as mad at myself for even letting it reach that point.

Match 5 vs Pendulum

Game 1:

I looped his hand.

Game 2:
I set up a board and he scooped on his draw. He seemed pretty upset about his previous round so idk.

Only 1 x-2 ended up getting into the Top 8; I placed somewhere in the teens as both of my losses ended x-2 or worse. Overall I was pleased with both 1. how often I was able to loop, and 2. how well I was able to play into peoples boards, barring multiple turn-stopper cards ala Veiler + Strike. I definitely wish I had been able to complete the deck earlier, so as to have test run it at a locals beforehand; I attribute both of my losses to poor play/decisions by me, especially in regards to siding. I still think this deck has the highest potential for straight out wins, but there are definitely more forgiving decks in the current meta.

»canasian    4105

Man I miss when people used to post tournament reports

Gabe3Vino    77

Not super helpful but I think it's an interesting story:

Yesterday I took this deck to locals again. In general I definitely felt my play was better, and I actually looped at a much higher rate than I expected, even in situations where I didn't think I could.

Anyway in 1 of my rounds I faced against Qli Demise. I hand looped them for all 5 one game, and on my opponents turn he drew Upstart into Demise. He was able to end with a Qli w/ Saqlifice at 2700 ATK, so I couldn't crash my Omegas into it to try to return something to my extra (probably Coral) to clear it. I ended up losing that game as my resources were pretty spent. Just thought this would be a funny but potentially relevant situation to keep in mind. I certainly never considered the possibility of looping and still losing.

47 minutes ago, Gabe3Vino said:

I certainly never considered the possibility of looping and still losing.

Why? Just because getting off a certain loop or combo is often times game winning doesn't mean it's impossible for your opponent to successfully play around if they topdeck the right cards or just happen to have a good matchup against your strategy. (Note: This has 0 to do with deckbuilding theory but rather I'm concerned about people letting their guard down in a duel because they are dead certain they have an unstoppable play.)

• Downvote 2

Gabe3Vino    77

Well Demise on its own is a very special case of providing cards directly to my opponent. I had always considered any 1 card 'answers' to the loop to be defensive in nature, trying to take my cards away from me; cards like the various Mirror Forces, which can prevent me from winning but can typically just be played around smartly, or don't do enough to prevent game damage with 3 Omegas coming back. I didn't mention this in my brief post, but it was literally the ideal loop; I got all 5 cards from hand, and ended my board with Crystal Wing + Trish, so my opponent had to draw a Spell/Trap answer.

Demise is an interesting card because it's a straight 1 card for 3. I don't know of many other cards that can do that completely on their own. In fact it's so narrow of an edge case I don't think it's worth trying to solve it, unless I'm missing out on some card that is more useful than Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon as a final hedge.

To clarify, its not about topdecking the right cards, its about topdecking a single card with nothing else available. Other than Card of Demise, I'm not sure what has a 'good matchup' against this strategy of leaving your opponent with 1 single card available to them and having a monster effect negation. Although if enough of them exist that this scenario is relevant, I would be interested in discussing how to deal with them.

19 minutes ago, Gabe3Vino said:

Demise is an interesting card because it's a straight 1 card for 3. I don't know of many other cards that can do that completely on their own. In fact it's so narrow of an edge case I don't think it's worth trying to solve it, unless I'm missing out on some card that is more useful than Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon as a final hedge.

To clarify, its not about topdecking the right cards, its about topdecking a single card with nothing else available. Other than Card of Demise, I'm not sure what has a 'good matchup' against this strategy of leaving your opponent with 1 single card available to them and having a monster effect negation. Although if enough of them exist that this scenario is relevant, I would be interested in discussing how to deal with them.

To clarify I'm not in any way questioning your deckbuilding or the power of your stated strategy I'm just suggesting there are rare situations where the opponent will get lucky and have an answer. I would argue that in this day and age there are several single cards that can help out against a strong board. Kaiju Slumber comes to mind but look my main point here is it is unwise to let your guard down just because you think everything is taken care of but the duel isn't over. Remember if the fat lady hasn't sung...

Me.    59
17 minutes ago, Gabe3Vino said:

and ended my board with Crystal Wing + Trish, so my opponent had to draw a Spell/Trap answer.

I prefer ending with herald of the arc light over ending with crystal wing, just because of spell/trap answers. Herald isn't that far behind in dealing with monsters anyways.

• Upvote 1

Gabe3Vino    77
1 hour ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

To clarify I'm not in any way questioning your deckbuilding or the power of your stated strategy I'm just suggesting there are rare situations where the opponent will get lucky and have an answer. I would argue that in this day and age there are several single cards that can help out against a strong board. Kaiju Slumber comes to mind but look my main point here is it is unwise to let your guard down just because you think everything is taken care of but the duel isn't over. Remember if the fat lady hasn't sung...

That's a very good point. This has reminded me of later Nekroz format builds, when Village + Scolding wasn't yet popular but was the winning strategy for those in the know. That build in particular obviously tried to simply make all your opponents plays irrelevant, much like what I aim for with this deck, but it did also have a lot of known 'counters' to it. Yet the strength of the build wasn't in its lack of counters, it was how breaking the board often required so many of these counters that it put the opponent at a disadvantageous position to do so; getting through Village + Gungnir + Scolding, if you even could, often left very little to actually do anything.

My approach to this deck, at least compared to the rest of the field, is that removing a card in hand is essentially the same as negating that card, or rendering it useless, much like what Metalfoes try to accomplish with boards like Kirin + Jowgen + Infinity. But clearly while the 3 Omegas + field of synchros is typically enough to game the following turn the majority of the time, getting to that point is exhaustive resource wise. Certainly the lack of plays once my big beaters were dealt with led to my loss.

I don't know if there's a clear solution here, or if it's even worth it to try and solve the post-hand loop gamestate, given how little it may come up, but it is interesting. Definitely an aspect of gameplay I was foolishly ignoring.

1 hour ago, Me. said:

I prefer ending with herald of the arc light over ending with crystal wing, just because of spell/trap answers. Herald isn't that far behind in dealing with monsters anyways.

I had considered Arc Light previously; as you say he is much more diverse in dealing with the 1 card that's left. I really like that he's very easy to make with Plague + 2 LE's in grave.

I had issues tho in cutting Crystal Wing for him, as I found that Crystal Wing came up more often, and more usefully in non-loop gamestates. I don't know if that was just me searching for him as an out to scenarios I found myself in, rather than him actually being my only out.

I was also trying to figure out if there was an optimal time and way to make Arc Light at an early enough point in the game where hand traps were hurtful, without ruining the ability to actually play; sided games were I could make DarkLaw early and still combo out just felt that much safer.

• Upvote 1

Me.    59

Alternatively, flip your 1-of appointer of the red lotus, that you drew into with librarian, during their draw phase. I think that solves everything.