• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
ACP

I don't understand DGz and no one likes me

93 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, SSJ Grumpig said:

essentially, this website operates exactly like high school

infer what you will

Yeah, I get to learn the horrors of High School(I was Homeschooled during part of Middle School and High School). So far I already feel like somebody punched my glasses off and that I've been shoved in a locker a few times.(I'm a total nerd people. I'm a Treky AND a Whovian) 

9 minutes ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

Yeah, I get to learn the horrors of High School(I was Homeschooled during part of Middle School and High School). So far I already feel like somebody punched my glasses off and that I've been shoved in a locker a few times.(I'm a total nerd people. I'm a Treky AND a Whovian) 

Isn't that just cartoon-type bullying that doesn't actually happen in real life?

When I was bullied I was chased home by a bunch of kids that wanted to beat me up every other day.

Just now, Me. said:

Isn't that just cartoon-type bullying that doesn't actually happen in real life?

Yeah. Did you miss me pointing out the fact I have 0 IRL point of reference for High School since I avoided being part of that drama IRL?

Also Chum if you haven't realized we're all huge fucking nerds that play or have played yugioh.

20 minutes ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

(I was Homeschooled during part of Middle School and High School)

This explains a lot actually...

this thread sucks because i got baited into think it was about allen having a mental breakdown after buying his mayor of dgz position

22 minutes ago, Jazz said:

This explains a lot actually...

I can explain even more. Like how until recently I hadn't played Yugioh IRL since I was 13 when I ended up briefly being in foster care(This whole episode turned me into a libertarian. There was some major overreach that shouldn't have happened) before I spent the rest of my adolescence in my repressive Aunts house where she home schooled me(I became an extremely anxious person after a few years of living there). After I graduated though I hightailed it out of my Aunt's house and I am currently going to community college with a Pell Grant and working part time in construction with a family friend with the intent of going to a 4-year institution later on and here you have me today.

Here is my 10 step help guide to dgz for noobs.

1. You're not as smart as you think you are.
2. Be yourself. You're too stupid to fool us anyway.
3. Never complain about or bring attention to your negative rep. You deserve it.
4. Remember how stupid you are.
5. Use the scientific method and critical thinking to improve your post quality.
6. You're still a fucking idiot.
7. Learn to recognize good posts and give them pos rep.
8. You're starting to get it. If you have a kick ass idea start a thread about it.
9. Change your avatar and your screen name.
10. Donate $5 to get the Loyalist title.

Congratulations, you are now a mid-level poster at duelistgroundz.com

I don't think we're really doing the donate $5 to get loyalist anymore, but otherwise that's a really good guide. At some point, I might try to come up with some new guidelines that can allow people to get loyalist, but it's not a top priority right now.

2 hours ago, Jazz said:

Here is my 10 step help guide to dgz for noobs.

1. You're not as smart as you think you are.
2. Be yourself. You're too stupid to fool us anyway.
3. Never complain about or bring attention to your negative rep. You deserve it.
4. Remember how stupid you are.
5. Use the scientific method and critical thinking to improve your post quality.
6. You're still a fucking idiot.
7. Learn to recognize good posts and give them pos rep.
8. You're starting to get it. If you have a kick ass idea start a thread about it.
9. Change your avatar and your screen name.
10. Donate $5 to get the Loyalist title.

Congratulations, you are now a mid-level poster at duelistgroundz.com

At this point in life I don't think telling people straight up that they are idiots is helpful ever and if you're honest about it it's basically only a way to establish power or superiority over others 

1 hour ago, mark said:

At this point in life I don't think telling people straight up that they are idiots is helpful ever and if you're honest about it it's basically only a way to establish power or superiority over others 

I think you missed the heavy coat of sarcasm my post was enveloped in. But anyway my guide was more about being inwardly critical and self reflective than about calling other people stupid.

2 hours ago, mark said:

if we don't tell them they are morons, how will they ever know?

16 minutes ago, SSJ Grumpig said:

Perhaps Mark views the use of insults directed at an individual's intelligence as futile instigators of strife that fail to benefit anyone who is part of a disagreement and thus instead of having a civil conversation  we allow the situation to degrade into a standard internet flame war where the participants see who can exchange the most inflammatory insults possible in the least amount of time expended. Of course, my own attempt here at defending Mark will likely only result  in the further deterioration of my reputation but in all honestly, what am I losing at this point? 

Ideally, backing up our insults with reasoning is what keeps it from degrading into a standard internet flame war.

4 minutes ago, ACP said:

Ideally, backing up our insults with reasoning is what keeps it from degrading into a standard internet flame war.

you're a faggot because you suck dick.

16 minutes ago, ACP said:

Or you could just make a crude and derogatory remark like the below and hope it picks up laughs and likes:                                                                   

14 minutes ago, Markus. said:

you're a faggot because you suck dick.

I personally would have picked something more the style of Simon Cowell myself.

fuck you chumley im an elitist look how elite iam i just negged your post c:<

29 minutes ago, Markus. said:

fuck you chumley im an elitist look how elite iam i just negged your post c:<

Pardon me but I thought this type of remark was considered taboo on DGz? Correct me if I'm wrong                                                 30a4b56d2d2c3571643fbe87c4ef3ac9.jpg

47 minutes ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

Pardon me but I thought this type of remark was considered taboo on DGz? Correct me if I'm wrong                                                 30a4b56d2d2c3571643fbe87c4ef3ac9.jpg

I cannot stand you and want you to stop posting for a long time. 

1 hour ago, SSJ Grumpig said:

If you tell people they're idiots, they'll either fight you to prove they're not, or they'll think of themselves as idiots not worthy of improving. I don't think either is really beneficial to the individual or to the board.

However, if you persistently tell people why they're wrong every time they're wrong, and explain what they could do better, you're achieving the same end (letting them be self-critical) without them rebelling you or them losing confidence. 

I don't mind a joke here and then, or calling people out when they deserve it, but considering this topic is for helping new people specifically, calling them an idiot 4x in a row is kind of killing the purpose of this topic, hence why I responded. 

@the golden tyranno

something that I've noticed, not only here but with people in general, is that it takes time to change an impression you've made. For example, a new guy can make a joke which isn't perceived well, but a more popular persoon can make the same

joke and 'get away with it'. It's basically a combination of having to prove yourself at first, and once you have, people will slowly start to get to know you and respond better  to anything you said. You might notice at some point that you stop saying stupid shit, but people will still treat you as if you say stupid shit, just because they're used to you posting stupid shit: give them some time to adapt to the new you. On this board, we don't look at single posts, but at the entire persoon behind that. For example, your posts could be gold but if someone finds out about some sneaky shit you do IRL, you'll still get your shit pushed in. (See the 'josh graham tail of grand theft' topic for example) 

Also, some people here just go with the mass and pos/neg posts just because they see others do it: I've found myself guilty of this as well so nowadays I always try to form my opinion on a post first before looking at the reactions of others. It's just human nature and you can't really blame people for it. 

ACP is the kind of example of how to make a useful insult: he insults people, or even an entire game, but always backs it up with logic and explains where people go wrong, and most of the time even why he thinks they make that mistakes as well. There are other examples as well such as pharaoh Atem/monohan consequently calling people bad, but when you look at their posts in the past you can easily see why they're some of the top contributors to this site. There's always something to learn there and you never think 'I wonder what I did wrong', because they'll make sure to include that in their posts as well. 

3 minutes ago, Tygo said:

I cannot stand you and want you to stop posting for a long time. 

Someone simply expressing angry at me justified or not hardly seems like a logical reason for me to leave. I understand cognitive dissonance can be very uncomfortable but I'm not exactly sure attempts at defusing a confrontational situation are going to be very palatable to you.

3 minutes ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

Someone simply expressing angry at me justified or not hardly seems like a logical reason for me to leave. I understand cognitive dissonance can be very uncomfortable but I'm not exactly sure attempts at defusing a confrontational situation are going to be very palatable to you.

I don't know if you have a job but if you're new at work and you already aren't well received by your colleagues I'm going to assume that, if you want to stay, you're not not going to argue with your boss just for the sake of it. Mods could just warn/ban you if they wanted to, I suggest you stop criticizing others for a while untill you've found your way here: it's not working out well atm and you've seen what happend to abe: I don't think you want to end up to become 'that guy', right? If you genuinely want to know why someone doesn't like you: PM them, respect their opinion and do not get defensive: you might not mean harm with it but it comes off as insulting, and you don't have the kind of reputation here yet to insult mods and it to end well even if you think you're right... 

Note that I'm trying to help you here cause I can see you have good intentions, others will be less patiënt with you then I am, but for now it's best to just take their advice at heart, believe me 

1 hour ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

I feel like one of your biggest issues is that you just try too hard to be funny.