Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carbon

Is my diet strong enough?

17 posts in this topic

I've been on this "diet" for about 2 weeks or so now and I really like it. I can stick to it without trouble but I'm wondering if it's really going to work?
I'm 5'6 and about 170. I haven't really lost any weight in the past two weeks ive been doing this but I do feel better. Which is nice but I want to lose weight as well. I used to eat whatever the fuck I wanted so this is "better" but im not sure if its good for weight loss.

Breakfast:
For Breakfast I usually eat 3 scrambled eggs

1 slice of turkey bacon

a handful of mushrooms

some mixed cabbage all stirred together with hot sauce.

Sometimes a banana/Orange too.

Lunch: 
I've been prepping my meals for lunch 
2 frozen chicken strips / 1 Breast
about a cup of brown rice
mushrooms
mixed cabbage
hot sauce

Dinner:
Grilled Salmon salad with mushrooms (light buffalo ranch dressing)
corn on the cob

Red's wing hot sauce is amazing

I filled my house with stuff fruits and veggies that way when I get stoned at night I munch on stuff like carrots or apples/Oranges. It's at least better than bags of chips I used to do.

I get all my items are "healthy" but is eating eggs, chicken AND salmon everyday going to hurt my weight loss goal? I'm open to change anything that doesn't help I'm just not sure if I'm hitting the correct nutrients for my goal to work.

count your macros.

Your diet contains really healthy foods, essential fats, good sources of protein, healthy amount of fat but i worry that you're hitting your macros. 

I'm not really an expert at this but from what my app shows (My fitness pal) not sure if thats a good one or not but its the one I have

I'm short about 30g of protein, about 20g of fat but I'm way over in my carbs. Having too little fat surely couldn't be that bad though. I suppose I could add some more turkey bacon to my breakfast.

What's the best place to count your macros? I'm totally willing to fine point my diet to what it needs to be I just have to where I can find out what I need for it. 

MFP is good

all three macros are important, fat isn't this evil that people say it is it's just calorie dense. 

If you're hitting your calorie targets you're fine - make sure MFP isnt accounting for exercise that makes it less reliable, and double check your calorie goal with a TDEE calculator 

/r/loseit's faq is really good

https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/wiki/faq

Here's a TDEE calc

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Are you training? Do you know what your maintenance calorie number is? If you're not losing weight eating under your macros that means your macros are most likely incorrect.

Also drop carbs, hit your protein/fat. Fat is not a monster.

i want to eat ur food.

imma look up that hot sauce.

So I've been doing a lot better. I'm down to 155 which is at least 15 down. Now I'm unsure of what do to?
I still have a little bit of a pot belly though so should I focus on losing more weight before I try and gain mass? Or would it be a waste of time losing weight just to put it back on? I'm not really sure where to go from here.

that pot belly is fat and while your diet is helping, regular exercise should help reduce excess fat. 

'putting on mass' isn't a thing. it's called putting on weight, and undoing all of your hard work if you try doing it by diet alone.

if you want to get bigger and stronger, you need to start resistance training in some form or another, and fueling your body with the correct nutrition as you do it.

bodybuilding or strength training or anything is a start, and find out what you enjoy.

What Paul said.

If you want to be big, you're going to be fat first.

11 minutes ago, Paxman said:

What Paul said.

If you want to be big, you're going to be fat first.

Thats not really what he said - you need calories to build muscle tissue but  you aren't building fat tissue for it to become muscle tissue 

Posted (edited)

So from what I'm gathering as long as I'm serious about keeping my diet and exercise would it be more beneficial now to increase my calories while working out to shed the excess fat while gaining muscle? Or should I stay on a calorie deficient for a while until the fat levels are more reasonable?

Right now I'm on around 1200 calories a day.
My diet consist of

Morning:

3 eggs

cup spinach

mushrooms

lunch:

Broccoli

Sausage

cheese

spinach

dinner:

salmon / shrimp

broccoli

cheese

with hot sauce on every meal generally.

with the occasional snacks like peanut butter or sugar free jello or almonds with cinnamon.

It's a pretty low calorie diet but I could easily see myself adding more to it. I really don't care what I eat for the most part as long as it's edible while I'm on this mission.

I do need to increase my workload at the gym though.
Honestly I'm usually just on the treadmill for a while at a time at an incline. I heard that was a strong way of losing weight efficiently. My basic exercises haven't been anything too special. I've been mainly just doing squats and not much else besides those. 

Edited by Carbon

What are your (end) goals exactly? You never really stated them.

You lose a lot of muscle mass while cutting but that doesnt mean you should abandon workouts. Exercise helps to reduce muscle loss if youre running a calorie deficit. So i think youve already made the diagnosis.

Right now my goal is just to lower my BMI. Right now I'm around 21% and I want to get out of that level. Of course building muscle and getting shredded would be awesome but I'm not trying to get goals that high right now.  Right now I just want to be a normal weight and build a decent foundation.

Just cut and work out, dont increase calories unless your deficit is huge - Im not sure where 1200 pans out for you, but if its working stick with it. Get to as lean as you want to be BMI wise before adding calories to add more muscle

lifting now wont hurt, you'll get  bit stronger but it'll be slow paced until you're at more calories... but that will impact your weight loss

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, rei said:

Thats not really what he said - you need calories to build muscle tissue but  you aren't building fat tissue for it to become muscle tissue 

Not directly no, but if you want to build muscle, you're going to have excess weight. You're going to look fat and technically be fat with a lot of new muscle underneath that fat. That's when you cut, strip away fat and maintain the muscle mass.

Source: I did this, but got lazy during cutting.

EDIT: rei is right too, lifting while not eating properly isn't bad it just means you won't see lots of gains... but if you're a beginner lifter and you start doing compounds, you're going to get what's referred to as 'noob gains', which will see you become dramatically stronger (compared against what you could lift when you first started), but not actual powerlifter strong (or even what some could refer to as being 'pretty good').

It took me about 6 months of proper dieting to put on about 10kgs (22lbs) of what was mostly muscle, and I went from 60KG squats to 130KG, the noob gains got me to about 100KG before I really got into it.

Edited by Paxman

that sounds like too much surplus tbh

tldr lose weight eat less gain weight eat more