Satchmo

YCS Minneapolis 2016

+Satchmo    3208
Oct 15 - 16 Yu-Gi-Oh! Championship Series Minneapolis, MN Minneapolis Convention Center
Minneapolis, MN

Jesse "itswhatever" Choate is confirmed to win the event 
14724375_10207385443423326_7764470537147

• Upvote 5

+canasian    4105

Jeff Jones is x-2 with Dark Magicians, Dark Magical Circle price spike incoming 

• Upvote 1

»ACP    33373

This event only had 775 players. When was the last time a US YCS had attendance that low?

• Upvote 1

Silver    959
27 minutes ago, ACP said:

This event only had 775 players. When was the last time a US YCS had attendance that low?

Probably the YCS they had in the saudian arabian desert. 

+canasian    4105

top 4 is 2 Metalfoe, 1 Majespecter, and 1 BAPK

as it turns out, for as "bad" as traps are right now, searchable, on-demand traps (fog blade/counter/the entire point of the Majespecter deck) are pretty decent

+canasian    4105

...and finals is a metalfoe mirror because Jowgen is a good card

I'm honestly pretty curious if Konami will find a way to hit the deck in November/January/whenever they release the next list; other than the pendulum mechanic itself being horribly ill-conceived the Metalfoes aren't really individually broken cards and it's not like they can hit every single normal summon-able stun monster between levels 2 and 7.

Suuwo    647

The whole mechanic is pretty dumb, I agree. Offers both a way to vomit out boards right away and inevitability with the recursion of bodies every turn.

A big problem is that there's no way to reasonably interact with dead pendulums in the extra deck the way it's possible to interact with graveyard recursion based decks.  I'd like to see more cards that let you interact with those cards.

Mr Dragon    295
3 minutes ago, knives1990 said:

I agree, I think rank 4s need a dweller like card to stun the face-up extra deck for a turn or something 

Given that for the most part the decks that can run rank 4s easiest are Pendulum decks themselves the most this would accomplish for the most part is making Pendulum mirrors degenerate.

Nate1080    1213
3 hours ago, canasian said:

I'm honestly pretty curious if Konami will find a way to hit the deck in November/January/whenever they release the next list; other than the pendulum mechanic itself being horribly ill-conceived the Metalfoes aren't really individually broken cards and it's not like they can hit every single normal summon-able stun monster between levels 2 and 7.

Other than putting Metalfoes Fusion to 0 and Counter to 1 (Both. Not hitting just one of them) and hitting other generic Pendulum cards, there's not much that I think Konami can do in future banlists that would impact the deck while still maintaining some playability.

Blacklisted    1327

I mean I wouldn't completely put off reworking the pendulum summoning mechanic. It seems that moving forward the only thing they can do is axe it all together after hitting some of the cards and make it come back every now and then like ritual/fusions but otherwise its just a stupid mechanic

+mmf    23262
3 hours ago, canasian said:

i am interested by this prospect too

i mean despite two premier events in a row being closed out by metalfoes in grand finals the community at large doesnt seem to think it's the best deck

and seriously which one of these cards are they supposed to hit

maybe cards like jowgen and dyna are actually too powerful, if we want emptiness gone so bad (AND WE SHOULD) maybe we should start looking at emptinesses with stats that you can normal or pendulum summon too

• Upvote 2

»ACP    33373

Yugioh is the type of game where if there was a LV4 monster with 8000 attack whose text read "If this card gets Trap Hole'd, lose the game" the community would complain that Trap Hole was overpowered.

Fossil Dyna/Jowgen are not the problem lol.

• Upvote 3

Squiddy    9168

ya this deck just gets even strongar after the next set

first and foremoast they need to ban the abomination thats kirin (and by extension vanitys fiend/emptiness/soul charge in general)

they really designed pendelems poorly. basicly every pendulum deck has been good smh (|:|)

+canasian    4105

Oh Jowgen (and Dyna by extension though it's slightly worse than Jowgen) is definitely the problem with the deck currently, the thing is that there are just so many options for monsters that can be pendulum summoned and stop you from playing yugioh

like the deck can absolutely just play barrier statue of the infernos/stormwinds, or mist valley apex avian like the Performapal decks from a few months ago, or just a more complete set of Majespecter cards like Frazier Smith played this weekend (Bunbuku also should be limited p.s.), or more obscure picks along the lines of that Empowering Dragon guy

Nate1080    1213

After Kirin, Luster Pendulum should definitely go to. A Pendulum RotA for Pendulums that also doubles as a Tuner is dumb.

I don't think Jowgen/Dyna/Emptiness are the actual problems in Metalfoes. Metalfoes just enable them to be abused; you hit those cards to 1/0 and Metalfoes themselves are still too good and they just evolve into something else equally degenerate. The engine itself is the main problem (along with the Pendulum mechanic, but nothing can be done about that outside of banning all Pendulums and not making any more), start there.

»victor    6396
4 hours ago, Suuwo said:

A big problem is that there's no way to reasonably interact with dead pendulums in the extra deck the way it's possible to interact with graveyard recursion based decks.  I'd like to see more cards that let you interact with those cards.

Actually, there is Pendulum Reborn, which is exactly intended for that. Pot of Riches is a card, and it solves for this as well.

A good question to ask ourselves is what really next levels Metalfoes from Igknights, the popping making Jowgen 1-sided?

+canasian    4105

I think Suuwo meant something to allow you to interact with your opponent's face-up extra, rather than your own (Metalfoes Counter is the epitome of interacting with your own face-up Extra)

Metalfoes are better than Igknights in every way because Ignknights are 2-card combos that under normal circumstances are minuses (you need to have 3 igknights in your hand to make it a +1, in which case you've essentially just summoned 2 vanillas from your hand), have better levels (you need to run a bunch of level 5 and 6 vanilla's in Igknights, so you're bricking if your scales aren't complete), are not underpowered for their level (Goldriver and Silverd both have perfectly reasonable attacking stats to work with if you have no options besides normal summoning them and attacking),

and most importantly can interact with any face-up card rather than just other Igknights, which leads to very strong interactions such as with Gofu tokens, Guiding Ariadne, pretty much any Pendulum monster, and even their own searchable Combination.

I really don't see how the archetypes are comparable at all other than being vanilla pendulums

Blacklisted    1327

Going on a tangent from the state of metalfoes and the game is there a reason (whether it be location, time of year, other events on) that the event had a low turnout?

Silver    959
1 hour ago, Blacklisted said:

Going on a tangent from the state of metalfoes and the game is there a reason (whether it be location, time of year, other events on) that the event had a low turnout?

Minneapolis

Silver    959

btw, if your deck loses to Jowgen at this point, that just says that all decks that lose to it are pretty linear and there should be better decks out there

mark    3104

Every deck loses to it when they don't have the out, a deck that doesn't special summon is a bad deck, so I guess what you're trying to say is that people should just make sure to main enough (non-kaiju) outs to floodgate monsters, in which case I agree. It's always going to cost you some games though, be it for double drawing bad cards such as book of eclipse etc, or simply not having an out to it at all and losing because. Can't have it both ways. 

+canasian    4105

Decks like Majespecter and Kozmo existing really exasperate the issue with floodgate monsters

With 2 Dark Hole and Raigeki in the TCG it should be easier than ever to out Jowgen/Fiend/etc., but for every deck running those cards there's another that make Dark Hole/Raigeki an active liability in your main deck, which is why we're stuck using objectively worse cards like Book of Eclipse to get past the floodgates while still being able to do anything at all to the other decks