YGOPro Salvation

Online Tournaments With Prizes!

96 posts in this topic

Hello duelists! I am posting to notify you all of something special that'll be happening on salvation that will be starting next week on October 22nd: Tournaments with prizes!

The rules for entering & participating are as follows:

• There is no entry fee
  • Entrants must not commit time they do not have. This means only join if you have time to actually play all the way to the last round.

• Entrants must have at least 10 posts on the salvation forums. If you are not a forum user, don't worry! There is enough ways for you to raise your post count on the forum without spamming and you can log in with the same account you use with the launcher. To find our forums just click the "FORUM" tab in the salvation launcher or visit forum.ygopro.us
  • The tournament will be a double elimination bracket
  • The tournament will complete and the same day it opens and will always be held on a Saturday
  • The tournament will use a TCG card pool with TCG advanced ban list
  • Participants will have the option to change decks between matches so feel free to prepare as many decks as you like for these events

For those who do not play on salvation but would like to start taking part in these events and/or our daily tournaments download it from http://ygopro.us

The prize given to the winner of the tournament will be an amazon gift card worth 20 GBP. If you are not in England I will send you a gift card in your own currency equal to the value of 20 GBP.

Remember these will be held weekly, so that's £80 per month up for grabs!

Get playtesting and I'll see you on Saturday! 

Update:

On reflection of our proposed idea of prize support we have decided it conflicts with konami's tournament rules regarding cash prizes. As a result, we will now be offering a yugioh product of the same value (20 GBP) instead.

Everything else regarding these tournaments will be the same; They will still be weekly events held on Saturdays, and all the rules posted perviously still apply.

Each tournament will likely have a different prize, but it will always be yugioh cards paid for by us.

This week's prize will be Yugi and Kaiba Structure Decks!

Where can one find more information on this? And are the tournaments held according to GMT/BST time? It gets annoying when there are online tournaments held in American time zones which are too awkward for me to enter when I value my sleep highly.

This is all the information I have set in stone for now but feel free to AMA regarding it in here. I would imagine the tournaments sign-ups would open the same time as our regular daily tournaments: About 8pm GMT (I am also in UK).

I'm afraid not, but on the subject of different platforms I'd like to mention we have just begun work to release installers for linux and osx systems.

I find the use of the TCG/OCG card pool quite strange under the following circumstances

Quote of Salvation's owner regarding ranked play:

6 hours ago, YGOPro Salvation said:

We decided against it.

Very very long conversation spanning a year. Under no circumstances will we have ranked play that based on single "random or pooled" matches. Everything will be tournament based. We would like for the tournaments to be automated tho.

The way DN did ranked is not a representation of real world play, and caused many social issues in the community.

If you're going to reject ranked pool play on the basis that it doesn't represent real world play, how is it okay to hold a cash tournament in an imaginary format?

I'm not trying to get you to change the rules or anything, I just find it really strange and would appreciate an explanation on why this is happening.

Its to reward the current active community. We dont want to alienate anyone. We'll adjust things to be more realistic as things grow. The current focus is to involve the current community and gain feedback to adjust the design.

Also agree OCG/TCG cardpool is off putting. You want to do well in the tourney, but no way everyone has time to test against a billion ocg decks. I can't play my IRL deck here because i have no idea if its good or not vs fake meta. 

1 hour ago, YGOPro Salvation said:

Its to reward the current active community. We dont want to alienate anyone. We'll adjust things to be more realistic as things grow. The current focus is to involve the current community and gain feedback to adjust the design.

No matter how you do you, you alienate someone. In this case, you alienate the competitive tcg players which just happens to be the main demographic of this site. Which may still be the smallest possible group that you could alienate, but that's still very far from the goal of alienating no one.

I'm personally not going to participate in the tournament because of this.

"im not going to participate"

Pro tip when dealing with us at salv: never throw your toys out the pram because we are more than willing to accept we are wrong and change something if you simply explain why we're wrong. Some good points were made and I'll discuss them with the rest of our staff.

He's not saying you are wrong. He's saying he's not going to participate because your tournament is for an imaginary format in which he has no interest in. I also have no interest in a tournament that merges cardpools for reasons already outlined. He clearly stated that he could be in the minority. If your biggest concern is catering to your community, then only you are in a position to know what's going to appeal to most people. 

well guys you have to give them some credit

at least they determined that they should not have a tournament with best of 1 games

rofl

2 minutes ago, dennis frogman said:

well guys you have to give them some credit

at least they determined that they should not have a tournament with best of 1 games

rofl

They are probably reaching a larger demographic playing TCG+OCG imaginary format though, just not on this specific website. So I wouldn't really consider it wrong or a bad move, I'd rather just call the goal of alienating no one unrealistic.

If I still played ygo, I would enjoy playing tcg+ocg because I'm sure there's some ridiculously good deck that no one has thought off because the cardpool has yet to be explored in a competitive sense.

8 minutes ago, ACP said:

If I still played ygo, I would enjoy playing tcg+ocg because I'm sure there's some ridiculously good deck that no one has thought off because the cardpool has yet to be explored in a competitive sense.

While I don't disagree with this, having to divide the time you spend on yu-gi-oh between two different formats isn't always ideal.

Practicing the art of breaking Yugioh formats is important to long term success as a player.

ya this should be tcg imo. its gonna deter a lot of competitive players from entering because they dont have time/dont want to be using cards that wont release for another half year or just have no release date in sight for the tcg period (|:|)

OCG+TCG was the most popular on DN too. There are a lot of online players who just don't care about the differences in  the two formats and only want to be able to play with all the cards. They don't play IRL. The default banlist for OCG+TCG could be the OCG one...or even a fusion of the two and  they wouldn't care. 

4 minutes ago, Axle said:

OCG+TCG was the most popular on DN too. There are a lot of online players who just don't care about the differences in  the two formats and only want to be able to play with all the cards. They don't play IRL. The default banlist for OCG+TCG could be the OCG one...or even a fusion of the two and  they wouldn't care. 

it was most popular cuz it was the default format before they made tcg the default

I think OCG+TCG was more popular in singles still at that point. Since those players also didn't care about matches and the more competitive players would be playing TCG matches. We just chose to ignore that side of the player base. 

Most of the duels firing on YGOPRO are TCG+OCG Singles too.  These people still play tier 1 decks but they're mostly awful with them. 

My bad. Let me rephrase: We understand that TCG/OCG is a format disliked by competitive players and would be prepared to change the tournaments with prize support to TCG-only format to cater to and attract participation from the most competitive players. After all our entire playerbase live in TCG areas. Our goal of alienating nobody can be achieved by simply hosting different styles of tournaments, although I personally feel on reflection that tournaments with prize support played by players in TCG regions should have a TCG-only card pool and I am not receiving any obligations from the rest of the staff.

tbh the fact that everybuddy on hear and also on /r/yugioh disagree with tcg+ocg is pretty much indicative that you should change the format

the majority speaks. if u want ur tourneys to be successful then u shud cater to the majority (|:|) 

28 minutes ago, Squiddy said:

tbh the fact that everybuddy on hear and also on /r/yugioh disagree with tcg+ocg is pretty much indicative that you should change the format

the majority speaks. if u want ur tourneys to be successful then u shud cater to the majority (|:|) 

Pretty sure it's a vocal minority if anything but I agree for the sake of the "tournament" it should cater to tcg play

whats the eta on salvation being rolled out?