YGOPro Salvation

Online Tournaments With Prizes!

96 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Storm Wolf said:

If cash tournaments were fine on DGz, how come The Organization received threats to end their tournament series?

There was a weird chain of events involving a crackdown in the Konami Europe judging community iirc.  Judges who are on the org staff also judge in Europe etc, the scraps I remember is that it was originally okay then it was not okay sort of story but fuzzy on the details.

I agree with the people who think that there's no need to ban money tournaments if you are not an official tournament store and you are not in the judge program, but if you feel that is the right thing then eh.  All I can say is that shipping structure decks to Australia after I win some tournies is gonna be hella pricey.  

I would highly suggest you move to a web domain listed for, lets say, Somalia.  It certainly can't hurt your attempts to not get taken down.  

53 minutes ago, Me. said:

If signups start at 8pm, when does the tournament start?

Do you for sure know if this tournament too will start at that time?

Do you have any plans of hosting tournaments for europeans as well? Because 8pm GMT is 9pm for me and that's just for signup, so there's no way I can participate at those times.

Good point. I usually host at 8pm due to work followed by relaxing a little then doing some work on salv however I've just realised these will be on satuday and I can be more flexible with time.. hmm... I need to host at a time that suits both europe and US time zones.

Allen,

While we are indeed hosting unofficial tournaments we've recieved information from someone who has done research into this area that despite being unafilliated we are still somewhat bound by afilliated rules. We might be being paranoid, but we're simply trying to be safe so we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

YGOrg was threatened by konami due to hosting tournaments with cash prizes and was forced to stop, we're looking for a way to get around this which is why gift cards was our first thought but then decided that's pretty much the same thing and yugioh products was our next idea. This is still sbuject to change depending on the information we have to work with.

4 hours ago, YGOPro Salvation said:

Allen,

While we are indeed hosting unofficial tournaments we've recieved information from someone who has done research into this area that despite being unafilliated we are still somewhat bound by afilliated rules. We might be being paranoid, but we're simply trying to be safe so we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

YGOrg was threatened by konami due to hosting tournaments with cash prizes and was forced to stop, we're looking for a way to get around this which is why gift cards was our first thought but then decided that's pretty much the same thing and yugioh products was our next idea. This is still sbuject to change depending on the information we have to work with.

Here's the thing about Konami's rules. The only consequence to breaking them is not having Konami like you. Many people do not desire to be disliked by Konami.

In the case of YGOrg, it is a site run by mostly Konami judges. They do in fact want to be liked by Konami. YGOrg was not threatened with any kind of legal action. They were nicely asked to stop running their tournaments, and they complied with that request.

So as far as your tournaments go, the only question is whether or not you care if Konami likes you. The decision is that simple. You're not going to get sued or banned from Yugioh. But Konami will not want you representing their company in the form of judging or direct business relations.

Is it just me or is konami just stupid as fuck 

in all fairness, konami is trying to present a specific image to their buyer base, which cash touraments do kind of run against that image, but from the perspective of a competitive player, yeah, it's pretty dumb.

I think a lot of people just don't consider that konami is making relatively fine choices, but only for their target base, and yall motherfuckers aren't a part of that group.

I think that as long as Konami is holding YCS's and doing coverage, competitive players will be a part of their target audience, I mean who else is going to buy all those booster boxes in order to pull 3 Pot of Desires etc.? I'm just going to take a guess right here, but I think blocking every online kind of tournament/DN(did konami even delete this? as DN site stated specifically that it wasn't konami, if that means anything) etc. is just not profitable for Konami to do because it isolates a lot of players. Back when I was younger and probably what you consider a 'recreational player', I still tried out everything online before buying it and going to tournaments. If YVD/DN etc. didn't exist I would've never bought as many cards and packs as I did, there's just no point to it if no one around you plays and there's only a local/regional in your area twice a year. I live in Europe and, besides people I met on the internet and at tournaments/locals, I know nobody that still plays this game and buys packs etc, it's not even sold in most stores, but is yugioh actually still popular in america etc.?

6 minutes ago, YGOPro Salvation said:

Still wondering what time I should host this tournament in order to be fair for both US and EU.

Around 10am USA time is like 4pm europe time, right? should be late enough for USA to have woken up and early enough that europe hasn't gone to bed yet.

If you start at 7pm, at what time do you expect it to end?

No idea since it's a format we don't usually use (double elim) and I can't really guess how many will be joininig.

Then how can I be sure I'm not committing time I don't have?

4 hours

Basically just making a shitload of posts on the forum as fast as I can to get it over and done with. At least I'm actually putting some content into them.

In an effort to get more people to join I have removed the 10 post requirement for this tournament only. It will return for next saturday's event.

Oh come on, you mean i spammed up your forum with shitposts for nothing?

Tournament is fun but personally I'd rather not start at 8pm again. I enjoy Yugioh but not enough to actively want to play at 12:00 at night... still waiting for loser brackets last 4 as well.

Won the tournament punting several games throughout jajajajajajajjaja topdeker

Was good for learning the deck though, the games I lost were useful for learning different situations.

Can't stop Klevis when he's on a roll

Congrats bro, I've sent you the prize.

Thanks to DGz in general for participating and we hope to see more of you. Any feedback regarding the way it was hosted, how the host handled things, the format etc is all welcomed.

Looking forward to next week's event.