mark

Where to go with my life

mark    3105

I'm currently 21, living on my own, going to University but I've been switching courses for the last 2 years, and I've had some jobs in between as well but nothing too spectacular. I feel like I have a bunch of different interests, so I'm often switching between things, but nothing of which I think 'I really want to do this for the rest of my life'. I know that I like exploring new things, and that once I've started doing something I become a workaholic for as long as I'm intrinsic motivated, but at some point if I feel like it's not satisfying anymore, or that there's not much more to learn or to gain, it becomes boring to me and I lose all motivation. I basically stopped working and I barely go to classes anymore, and I think the main reason is that atm I don't really know where I want to go with my life. I want to find out what it is that I want to do, but I don't really know how to go at that, mostly because while I do have a lot of goals in life, it's just that most of them conflict with 'getting a job/making a career', which is arguably the most important part of your life after all. 

Not really looking for advice on what to do - as I don't expect you guys to be mind-readers - but I'm basically wondering if everyone has had the same issue, and if so, what helped them find out what they wanted to do eventually?

• Upvote 2

Haha dude I feel ya. I'm in pretty much the same boat. I can't wait to see what people have to say because I'm sure i could benefit from it too. 

»Noelle    5848

i had wavered on career paths a lot previously. part of the frustration is i dislike how difficult it is to not just "do one thing." if you have a plethora of options, but can only pick one, you really only have one option, how i see it. anyway, i eventually decided i dont care much for my own well-being, which doesnt necessarily mean anything negative, rather, it means im just gonna run the clock doing what i want while doing the minimum peripheral stuff school work etc. "do what you want to do before what you need to do" is also a thought that sort of helped me down that road. i dont mean that to sound pseudo-philo but understand that any expanded answer you're going to get will take that form so long as it isnt just useless conclusions without precursor like "i decided to take up painting" or whatever. 

1.) you are an animal and you are going to die; stress accelerates this process
2.) when that happens, the number of times you switched careers, interests, pursuits, and passions will be irrelevant
3.) as long as you can afford to eat, sleep, and have meaningful relationships little else matters

Relax. It's okay to not know what you're doing. Or, more accurately, knowing what you're doing only temporarily. People in all age groups express feelings of being listless and directionless. The average person changes careers seven times. Expect this number to increase as the US becomes more and more affected by globalization. Talk to as many people as you can and pick their brains for their answers to these very questions, you'll get some more data on what's possible in a human life to determine your next move. You'd be surprised how many people open up to you and how much wisdom you can glean from them.

You sound like a person who would prefer to be self-employed. If you have any talents you can capitalize on, you should start there. If you think you don't have any, inventory the skills you have, and those you might want to develop further or learn from scratch, and pursue those. Learning new skills helps keep food on the table and keeps your brain engaged. If you have any amotivational problems you think may be caused by behavioral disorders, seek the help of mental health professionals as soon as possible. States usually have job training agencies who, if they can't help you, can maybe point you somewhere useful.

I've been through a lot of shit. I busted my ass for scholarships so I could go to college and earn a Biology degree, only to find out that I can't do what I want to do (fieldwork/natural resource management) for medical reasons and the other two related fields I tried made me miserable. At the end of the day I may not make much use of that degree and that's fine. I know now because I tried. I found out what I did like and didn't like, what I could do and could not do. Only being psychic could have saved me from those 'failures'. Life is mostly trial and error, and most of the people that have plans that they've stuck to for awhile started from a meandering path.

Most jobs just want you to have a B.A. in something/anything. You should try to finish a degree in at least "General Studies" while you've got inertia keeping you in uni. Having a wide range of interests isn't a problem in The Real World.

Stay off drugs, make enough money to take care of yourself, find a partner and reproduce/adopt. Society will consider you a decent person. Everything else is pretty much just 'whatever' as far as other people are concerned, and that is a wide wide opportunity for you to find out what you need to do to consider yourself a decent 'you'. All that hippie dippie "Life is a Journey" bullshit is not bullshit, after all.

I'm in the process of writing a sci-fi novel--a thing I talked myself out of and back into and out of a zillion times as I tried to find a 'real career'. It's a thing I am capable of doing, it is inherently rewarding to practice a skill I value, and I may or may not profit from it eventually. Whatever job I get after this one and the next one and the next one, they don't matter. They just provide me with shelter, calories, and date nights with my long term girlfriend who will hopefully be my wife someday. Let yourself dream. I held myself back for years, ground myself to insanity under the pressure of 70 hour workweeks on swing shifts; all because I thought I had to have a career trajectory that was a straight line. I thought that if I put the time in I'd get something back. A couple nervous breakdowns later...

it wasn't worth it, but I had to do it to get to where I am now.

• Upvote 1

»ACP    33421

Foolproof plan:

1. Get a bachelor's degree with a good GPA.

2. Not sure what career you want yet? Then take the GRE and get a good score.

3. Choose a PhD program, apply around the country. Accept the offer with the best funding (ideally free tuition +$20K or more in cash per year)

4. Finish your PhD program.

5. Still not sure what career you want? Then go back to step 3.

Worst case scenario you get paid $20K+ a year and you end up with 10 PhDs. Best case scenario, you finish your first PhD and then decide that you want to go into the workforce (usually with a 6 figure starting salary).

• Upvote 1

Soul    7942

It's pretty common for your 20s. I graduated in IT, but I've been working in ecommerce as an analyst and then an account manager for my professional career thus far (18 months, graduated in 14'). I want to go back to school for a JD and MBA,  but it's super expensive and not feasible at this time since I'm turning 24 next month and need to support myself. My honest to god dream is to be a lawyer. Whether it's corporate, civil rights or international law, I'm not even sure. Not to mention I need to decide on which to do first (MBA v JD). Leaning more towards the MBA since the ROI seems to be more immediate, and would then enable me to pursue the JD. But as I said, my true passion is law :/ tldr life is hard, but this is the time to be hashing it out. The fact you are aware of this is a good thing though. Believe it or not, most people our age have no care in the world. At least that what it seems like to me. 

mark    3105

Thanks for the replies so far, there's been a lot of food for thought right there 

»Logic    2033

As a career counselor, my goal is to help individuals identify a direction that makes sense for them. A career doesn't have to be a unidirectional path to success, and it's not unusual to change career multiple times through your time here.

PM me or add me on Facebook if you want to have a conversation.

buckwheatloaf    204

im nearly 23 and i knew for a long time i cant have a real career or a job. i wanted to paint houses or something like that but then i realized i cant climb ladders (fear of heights) do heavy lifting (im too weak) or be in the sun too long (i get dizzy ok). so i thought indoor painting might be the better way to go. but the mexicans have completely monopolized the discipline of indoor painting. to have a chance i'd need my own car but driving is a no go for me too (fear of crashing). so im pretending to  be serious about school and on my way to graduating meanwhile im selling ygo cards online and reading r/the_donald all day in my maga hat. i did 300 sales a month in the recent months so thats making me feel pretty optimistic, though when u look at it it's pretty much just jew trickery on mexicans which is not very nice.

but i dont really need that much money as im pretty good at minimizing my expenditures, and rent and stuff is cheaper in the midwest which is where i plan to move as soon as im ready so i can try to make it on my own. its also where the boy i love lives who rejected me.im kinda finally getting over him after 3 yrs but i still wanted to attain his forgiveness a lot. today i went to a guys place and he said he wanted to put cat ears on me and own me. if my midwest plan doesn't pan out i guess im not totally out of options.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, buckwheatloaf said:

im nearly 23 and i knew for a long time i cant have a real career or a job. i wanted to paint houses or something like that but then i realized i cant climb ladders (fear of heights) do heavy lifting (im too weak) or be in the sun too long (i get dizzy ok). so i thought indoor painting might be the better way to go. but the mexicans have completely monopolized the discipline of indoor painting. to have a chance i'd need my own car but driving is a no go for me too (fear of crashing). so im pretending to  be serious about school and on my way to graduating meanwhile im selling ygo cards online and reading r/the_donald all day in my maga hat. i did 300 sales a month in the recent months so thats making me feel pretty optimistic, though when u look at it it's pretty much just jew trickery on mexicans which is not very nice.

but i dont really need that much money as im pretty good at minimizing my expenditures, and rent and stuff is cheaper in the midwest which is where i plan to move as soon as im ready so i can try to make it on my own. its also where the boy i love lives who rejected me.im kinda finally getting over him after 3 yrs but i still wanted to attain his forgiveness a lot. today i went to a guys place and he said he wanted to put cat ears on me and own me. if my midwest plan doesn't pan out i guess im not totally out of options.

This post raises so many questions. I've got to go back and look at your other posts and decipher what you've said about yourself that is trolling vs what might be fact. 

mark    3105

Can we please not turn this into a political/racist/troll thread or whatever, especially when it's the kind of 'I'll just make it look like I'm joking but I'm actually trying to passive-aggressively get some points across that people otherwise would never agree on if I stated them seriously.' okay thank you very much. 

Thanks Logic, I'll be PMing you probably somewhere this week 

• Upvote 2

Me.    57
4 hours ago, buckwheatloaf said:

im nearly 23

Honestly, I thought you were like 12.

buckwheatloaf    204
7 hours ago, mark said:

Can we please not turn this into a political/racist/troll thread or whatever, especially when it's the kind of 'I'll just make it look like I'm joking but I'm actually trying to passive-aggressively get some points across that people otherwise would never agree on if I stated them seriously.' okay thank you very much. 

Thanks Logic, I'll be PMing you probably somewhere this week 

okay i shouldn't have mentioned mexicans in my post but other than that im just giving my honest life experiences which is what u wanted. i love trump and mexicans and neither of it is racist or a troll. and if u sell ygo online ur gonna find 70% of sales, especially the overpriced or overhyped ones, comes from mexicans. its just a fact of the business. but i wanted to atone for this by marrying a mexican guy one day and giving him all the money i can make (i mostly just like mexcan guys).

back to u, my feeling is that ur like really smart and mature, so when u posted about losing motivation or not going to classes im not worried ur going to slide into an abyss of neetdom,  obviously ur gonna be okay, ur one of the lucky ppl that is just plain smart and has a good head on their shoulders. maybe think about tutoring or something like that? im not sure about the serious career or job being the  most important thing. like rudy of alpha investments would say (check out his channel and subscribe if u haven't) at the end of the day you wanna have wealth creation. and i dont think u even need to work that many years to create enough wealth to be able to cut back on the working. if u have a career or job and ur not able to save anything ur just spinning ur wheels for survival. thats the condition of the common ppl, or the many timimes out there :(, but u can def avoid that, not by getting the 80-100k/year job cuz ur smart and made a career ur priority, but also by doing wealth creation and making that ur priority.

but tell me why u wouldn't be a good tutor. i think u'd be a awesome tutor. there's tons of different types of tutoring too. if u lived near a high class area i'd look into the SAT tutoring, i knew someone that did that, a young guy only 22, he got to go into lots of rich ppls houses and meet their dogs. those are perks that no regular employer could offer u.

»ACP    33421

I can attest to the fact that no where near 70% of my ygo sales came from mexicans.

Wumbologist    14204

I don't know an exact %, but I agree with buckwheatloaf that a large amount of my eBay sales come from Hispanics 

So this is majorly sidetracked from the topic but I have to ask: Buckwheat in your opinion are the Mexicans hijacking the American Yugioh card market?