Axle

Nintendo Switch (new console)

Grimey    8107
6 hours ago, ACP said:

I feel that a large part of the reason why Nintendo did so poorly with their last two consoles was their huge lack of 3rd-party game support. Almost every game that I wanted to buy for the last 3 years or so was for Xbox, Playstation, and PC only. In other words, everything except Nintendo. It looks like they plan to address this major flaw with their next console, but only time will tell I suppose.

The new Zelda game. I don't have to say anything else. 

(I know that it's also available on Wii U) :(

Winter    19

I wonder how bad the usage wear is. Surely swaping forms a lot will have a similar effect to overusing laptop hinges

Dank Memeston    1716

I'm more hype for a new pokemon on thus shizzz whenever it happens. Also note that Bethesda has said they are only going to work with Nintendo atm. There is no confirmation for skyrim. (Same reporter said thus happened with the wiiu and metro 2033 or something too)

Sophocles    2841
On 20-10-2016 at 5:41 PM, Urthor said:

oh before I forget

YOU BETTER BE ABLE TO PLAY WII TENNIS WITH THOSE LITTLE WAVEY AROUNDEY THINGIES.  IM WARNING YOU NINTENDO, YOU BETTER COME THROUGH ON THIS

that's the one thing i didn't see in the video

Wii-like motion control support? If it has that this is basically the ultimate social gaming device

Probably going to be a slam dunk anyway though, holy shit

Axle    1217

Well they're partnered with Nvidia this time. They have experience with this sort of system thanks to the Shield, are providing the GPU, and are probably helping to keep the prices lower.  I can only hope anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Aaron    1979

I'm really quite excited. Opens up quite a few possibilities in the portability aspect of multiplatform games.

I'd usually always buy a multiplatform game for PC.... or maybe PS4 if it was cheaper. However, if I have the ability to play that game (even if its graphically downgraded) at work or on the train or a plane, I'd easily buy the NX version for portability. 

Kahu    2418

New Shin Megami Tensei.

Xenoblade 2.

Breath of the Wild.

Super Mario Odyssey.

Skyrim port.

No More Heroes 3.

New Bomberman.

Splatoon 2.

ARMS.

Etc.

Supposedly 80 games currently in development.

A bunch of them seem to be in finalized development based on the videos they've shown.

Dragonball was seen.

Power aside, not bad as a handheld.

Edited by Kahu
  • Upvote 1

NB96    813

I'm interested in this but like people have said the third party support is important. I don't really want to own two consoles and most of the time I'd be using it as a console rather than a handheld. On the other hand Nintendo make so many exxclusive games for their consoles and have good IP's like Pokemon, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Smash Bros and more. So in terms of exclusive stuff I'm sure it's great but can I also pick up my yearly FIFA?

I'd love to see just how far third party support will go. I heard that EA did some work on the Wii U but stopped after 6 months, I really hope developers feel this console is powerful enough to make it worth porting all the best games, and worthwhile enough to keep going rather than give up. They seem to have a big list of developers helping them to me which is promising. Would also be great to be able to play with more buddies of mine who may get this console.

• Upvote 1

Aaron    1979

Hmmm... I'm really torn on this one.

The iffy framerates I see on breath of wild just make me scream why don't you release a normal fucking home console nintendo and push your innovation and ideas to modern day limits rather than living in the past. I think the console is really still quite underpowered. Everyones reporting graphical fidelity on par with the Wii U. I can't see third parties porting over their titles to this console unless it really explodes due to the hassle. I feel like this console is released a year too soon with pascal coming out and the fact it could have provided vast improvements to GPU portable architecture. But fuck, I bet nvidia had a bunch of shitty maxwell chips left over and said Nintendo can have them for a cut price deal hence the switch.  

The potential for this console to explode comes from portable FF15, portable mass effect andromeda, portable dark souls 3.....! If Nintendo have nailed that, then yes, I'm very very very excited and impressed but I don't think they've convinced or potentially even packed enough juice for that! 

The motion controls look like a refined Wii which is a good thing. I'm not a fan of VR as I think we're just not there yet where VR can trump what our 1080p/4k Tvs can produce and immerse us with. Therefore I'd take a refined and intuitive motion control which is infinitley more fun locally with friends/family over VR at this point in time. 

*I'm going to assume this is still NOT a successor to the 3DS because they pretty much nailed super stable 3D on the new3DS and the dual screen shit is a total winner. I feel third parties which produce portable games will not produce portable games for the switch because the work and time they need to invest in it... well they might as well just add in a bit more work & time and make it an xbox one/ps4 title at this point and sell a lot more. 

I want to buy one. Make no mistake, portable local multiplayer + a portable console experience is the shit of dreams for me. However for most people, I think they might be a bit underwhelmed and not have a look in. 

I'm not worried about the future of nintendo and I want the switch to succeed. In a worst cased scenario nintendo can just push the red button and release the much awaited for a fuck load of years 3D pokemon game and watch sales explode as people get to live their young dreams portably and on the big screen... but they are probably 10-20 years away from doing that too.. which would be sad as I think unifying portable + home console is what the switch could do... but secretly doesn't want to. It wants to be a home console with a portable side function. 

Edited by Aaron
  • Upvote 1

Mr Dragon    296

If this wasn't being considered to be the next handheld console it'd be rather unlikely that we'd be getting main series Pokemon games for it. If we find out that the Pokemon game being developed for this is by Game Freak that'll be as good as a confirmation that there won't be a 3DS successor.

• Upvote 1

Aaron    1979

I feel for the switch to succeed, it HAS to go down the handheld route.

Then we run into the 2-6 hour battery life issue, although the 3DS wasn't exactly phenomenal. 

• Upvote 1

Mr Dragon    296

I won't be surprised if some sort of external battery/charging kit comes out at some point. Might even be necessary if the Pokemon games do move over onto this platform and you're expected to bring one of these to a VGC event.

• Upvote 1

Kahu    2418

What Nintendo does with handhelds is basically like this.

Release handheld meant to last about 5 years.

About 3 years in, release a partial update to the handheld that isn't necessarily required, but has slightly better performance and fixes a flaw.

At the end of the 5 year cycle, release the next handheld and keep it in limbo for about a year or two while they transition from the previous handheld to the next one.

Basically we're looking at 7-year cycles with a 2-year transitioning period between handhelds.

They've been doing this since the GBA.

So yeah. It's the next handheld. It's also meant to replace the Wii U, sure, but it's ultimately gonna be their flagship handheld.

• Upvote 1

Kahu    2418

Melee Virtual Console and an updated Smash WiiU/3DS port IIRC.

• Upvote 1

Grimey    8107

Didn't know that pre-orders went up already for the Switch and for Breath of the Wild's Master Edition. 

Looks like I'm going to have to drop $1000 to get this shit :/ 

• Upvote 1

Kahu    2418

Master Edition's already sold out. Special Edition's still up for online preorder on Best Buy, but it's Best Buy.

Tbh if you're ok with not having the statue then the Special Edition is also ok.

• Upvote 1

Grimey    8107
3 minutes ago, Kahu said:

Master Edition's already sold out. Special Edition's still up for online preorder on Best Buy, but it's Best Buy.

Tbh if you're ok with not having the statue then the Special Edition is also ok.

They don't have it on the Canadian site 

• Upvote 1

Kahu    2418

Eeeeeh. I have no idea then.

I mean the JP version just literally has an announcement saying they're putting up pre-orders for their special editions on Jan 21st or something. Kinda wish the EN versions would do the same instead of tossing us through these clusterfucks.

• Upvote 1

Aaron    1979
7 hours ago, Kahu said:

What Nintendo does with handhelds is basically like this.

Release handheld meant to last about 5 years.

About 3 years in, release a partial update to the handheld that isn't necessarily required, but has slightly better performance and fixes a flaw.

At the end of the 5 year cycle, release the next handheld and keep it in limbo for about a year or two while they transition from the previous handheld to the next one.

Basically we're looking at 7-year cycles with a 2-year transitioning period between handhelds.

They've been doing this since the GBA.

So yeah. It's the next handheld. It's also meant to replace the Wii U, sure, but it's ultimately gonna be their flagship handheld.

If its their flagship handheld then I think its a huge risk compared to previous' 

1. Developmental costs for portable games will now skyrocket. Developers can ask themselves the question, do I want to make this a switch game or shall I just go the full hog and release this on PS4/XBOX One/PC. With the 3DS, that wasn't the case, the platform was drastically different and easier to develop for. 

2. They're ditching the 3D and dual screen technology which they pretty much have just recently perfected with super stable 3D. 

3. The switch's battery life is questionable.. I feel 2-6 hours from the manufacturer could easily mean 1.5-4 hours, with degrading battery life we could be fucked [and I hope not]

4. They're marketed it as a HOME console. Too much footage and coverage has shown it being played from a couch. This drew PS4/xbox1 comparisons which have ultimately killed a lot of hype from graphics whores. 

If this was truly a handheld, I think Nintendo should have just put our a statement of intent and released some handheld-like games on the system to let people know. This limbo may ultimately kill the console. I look at its weak lineup and staggered lineup this year and it just screams Wii U. No Devs are mentioning upcoming new games coming to the switch either! I honestly see a pokemon release saving this console right now. 

I wish Nintendo waited 6 months for technology to mature and potentially improve a few bits of the hardware, decrease the console cost and have a release lineup of Breath of the wild/Arms/Splatton/Mario Kart/Skyrim portable with an upcoming Mario game in a few months afterwards. 

I think calling Skyrim "Skyrim Portable" or "Skyrim Switch" would have been slightly better marketting too. 

I also still struggle to see how the positive of partnering with Nvidia since they've just given Nintendo old chips. 

• Upvote 1