• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
Axle

Nintendo Switch (new console)

86 posts in this topic

I think partnering with NVidia was mostly a ploy on Nintendo's part to make a less fickle architecture for their system.

Something to keep in mind with the Wii U is that its failure wasn't just due to hardware specs being low.

Graphics and shit can be downscaled accordingly. That's actually not as much of an issue.

I mean hell, the 3DS did a shitton of that with having games built with frameworks meant for higher end consoles.

The thing is, the Wii U used PowerPC and it was a fucking nightmare to code for. Even more so than the PS2 and PS3 in some regards.

IMO THAT'S what nailed the coffin shut, really.

From a developer standpoint, the biggest nightmare is going to be a system that doesn't listen to your code.

All the specs in the world be damned, if you can't bring out even half of those specs because the framework of the system is retarded, it's a shitty system.

Which is exactly what the Wii U was. And despite the name, the Wii U wasn't quite the overclocked GameCube tech that the Wii was. Which actually played against it.

Developers had few to little old school GC tricks to fall back on, with parts that just did not fit together with Unity or Unreal or anything else for that matter no matter how much you downscaled. Of fucking course it failed.

The Switch does away with PowerPC, has NVidia onboard building its software to accommodate game engines, and is as a result apparently hilariously easy to code for, so they've got that going for them at the very least.

I feel like half of the games released for this will be Console style titles and the other half will be handheld style. Obviously for the most part both types of games will be playable portably and on the TV but every dev who isn't Nintendo will probably primarily design for one or the other

The biggest difference now I think, is that those handheld type games will probably be primarily eshop titles, unless they're part of huge franchises.

13 hours ago, Kahu said:

https://www.google.co.kr/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5nvg4z/revisiting_the_foxconn_leak_it_got_some/?client=safari

Apparently the Foxconn leaks seem to be gaining traction again.

Interesting things to note:

Pascal

Much more powerful devkits

Graphics noted by everyone at the show are to be similar to Wii U.

Doubt this is rocking any advanced portable pascal architecture based on that fact alone.

Nintendo have marketed the switch completely wrong. It should have been portable first, TV second. As a portable device, its the best portable gaming console ever created. As a home console, its behind everyone and overpriced from the console to the accessories to the games. 

tfw people still care about how good their console graphics will be lmao

idc much about graphics.. its moreso the switch meeting minimum graphical power to make ports easy and viable for the switch to maintain third party support that i care about.

if i want graphics, i'll buy a gtx 1070/80 + a 4k tv or 1440p monitor 

Thinking about this more, I have no idea why Nintendo made this a hybrid. You already dominate the market for handheld consoles, 3DS is way more popular than PS Vita and you have the Pokémon franchise on there which sells consoles. They should move Pokémon to the Switch. There's maybe not so much need to release yet another handheld thing in my opinion.

Nintendo arguably have the strongest exclusive IPs compared to Sony and Microsoft, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Pokèmon, Legend of Zelda as well as a backlog of nostalgic older franchises they could revive such as F-Zero, Starfox and highly popular new properties like Splatoon. Just make a proper console, with specs comparable to PS4 and Xbox One. If you do that, publishers will port games to Nintendo's consle as well, so not only do you have monster exclusives but your playerbase gets third party games too. Switch wont get as many imo even though they said they partnered with a list of other publishers, because people wont be able to port their ambitious games over to a less powerful console which may not be able to run their games, and with only 32GB of space (or so I've heard).

I genuinely think if Nintendo just did that, and used a normal controller instead of focusing on gimmicky stuff like motion control, I think they would instantly become more popular than than their competitors. If they did this, I'd sell my shitty Xbox for it. The only thing that stops me getting a Nintendo console is that they don't have enough non-exclusives ironically, and I don't want to own two consoles at once. I had a Gamecube back in the day and it was great fun, I loved it.

Edited by NB96

i think nintendo's only development studios are a bit behind too. 

i remember them mentioning they really struggled in just getting to wii u standards from the wii whilst the rest of the development world had been there for ages. 

Japanese gaming companies in general are in serious shit when it comes to AAA because they can't really do temporary employees.  Laws over there really don't let you fire people, so adding a bunch of people for doing one big game, then laying them off when you don't need them for 18 months while you do pre production for the next game is really hard.

In the west there's two AAA models, one is do 12 months of preproduction with writers and engineers, doing technology and storyboards and other pre production shit, then you hire in extra artists n such and work for 24+ months on the AAA game.  The other is the EA/Ubisoft model where you just go lol we're fucking EA, move 120 guys from the FIFA division to the Bioware division, make the AAA game, then move them back.  Or in Ubisoft's case, leave those guys in the FIFA division and have 1000 plus people who live in Shanghai Hamburg all sorts of weird places make the game in a year entirely through conference calls and Skype.

Half of Final Fantasy 15 was actually given to a Taiwanese developer solely because Squeenix didn't want to hire a bunch of employees they then couldn't fire, and it's the same for Nintendo.  They (can) do good work but Japan's labour laws means they can't really do what I think they should be doing, which is investing in a shitload of first party games for the Switch which will *probably make money anyway* and sell the console.  Given development budgets have only escalated they're reacting to this phenomenon pretty badly. 

Comes out this Friday in the UK, anyone getting this on launch?

real question is, why would you? The launch titles are so fucking weak it's not funny aside from zelda

I have a preorder that, due to laziness, I have yet to cancel so I may end up buying it. 

Posted (edited)

well breath of the wild just won game of the year in march

98/100 on metacritic fuckkkkk 

Edited by Aaron

Yes the game looks beautiful but I'm not sure I want to spend all that money on a Zelda machine right now... I think Nintendo should have pushed for Mario Kart on launch, even if that meant delaying the console for a month. Once you finish Zelda I'd imagine there's not much to do with the console for a while.

On 2/28/2017 at 0:14 PM, Gemstone Mine said:

real question is, why would you? The launch titles are so fucking weak it's not funny aside from zelda

The Japanese launch titles are better. They get Disgea 5 and Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2, plus other RPGs that I cannot remember. Importing is an option since the Switch isn't region locked.

Also, I am Setsuna is also a launch title (download only though) and I heard that its a pretty good game as well.

On 03/03/2017 at 8:08 AM, NB96 said:

Yes the game looks beautiful but I'm not sure I want to spend all that money on a Zelda machine right now... I think Nintendo should have pushed for Mario Kart on launch, even if that meant delaying the console for a month. Once you finish Zelda I'd imagine there's not much to do with the console for a while.

Yup I'm most likely going to buy one when  MK8 comes out just for the multiplayer with my sister. Even then, tbh i could easily wait. 

The game which will MAKE me buy a switch is the fire emblem title.. which probably wont be seen for a year or two. 

I'll buy it when and if it gets a pokemon game

It's 510 for the bundle here, the fact it's not handheld priced is pretty crippling.  I'll definitely get it at some stage, Christmas probably.  

Even if the Switch ended up being a Zelda machine for a month until Kart and other games come out, it's still worth it. It's one of the most refreshing games I've played in a long time.

It will win game of the year. Nothing will come close. It overshot the hype train by a mile.

EDIT: Source - me - I won $1k gambling and then went and bought a Switch. I haven't bought a console since 2013 (I bought the PS3 specifically to play The Last of Us). It was worth it.

I wish I can buy a Switch now.

I got a 450 gift card from Newegg that I got from returning my old android under warranty, I want to use that to buy the Switch on their site. They're selling it for almost 600. Gross, I'll wait.

Also, almost everywhere is either sold out or over pricing the Switch by 100+. Its the NES classic/Wii all over again.

Yea judging by the nintendo 3DS and OOT the ability to game whilst lying upside down on your couch and playing Zelda games on mobile is generally worth.  To people who aren't starting some super important job or short of the money buy this once Nintendo releases more stock and the prices calm down.  

I'm waiting until it has 5 games minimum but in reality i will probably snap when MK8 comes out.

I think if the switch ever gets hacked + homebrew, it will explode. I was thinking today I want to play suikoden 2 (e.g. on my PSP) but I'd love to be able to play it on the big screen when i'm at home but take it on the go too. 

If portable gaming becomes a thing again (im talking about real gaming, not iphone fruit ninja) then the switch will explode. Its a question of do u wanna play skyrim on ur couch or do u wanna play it on ur couch, on ur bed, on the train and at school/work. .. however with that will come graphical compromise... 

I haven't been enjoying Breath of the Wild much. Like most games like this, i feel likei am spending more time going around walking than actually playing.

I ordered my Switch off EBGames (Gamestop) at 12:00am on March 3rd. Still received no word about what the fuck is going on with my system, and it hasn't even been shipped yet. 

I took this whole week off to play Zelda and my Master edition is sitting in the corner of my room collecting dust because they can't even bother to tell me when the product is going to ship. l o l

42 minutes ago, Grimey said:

I ordered my Switch off EBGames (Gamestop) at 12:00am on March 3rd. Still received no word about what the fuck is going on with my system, and it hasn't even been shipped yet. 

I took this whole week off to play Zelda and my Master edition is sitting in the corner of my room collecting dust because they can't even bother to tell me when the product is going to ship. l o l

They probably took more pre-orders than they had stock available. The delay might be them waiting for the next batch of Switch's to be delivered.