Axle

Nintendo Switch (new console)

Grimey    8112
4 minutes ago, NB96 said:

They probably took more pre-orders than they had stock available. The delay might be them waiting for the next batch of Switch's to be delivered.

I emailed them AND called them, and they said it was an issue of people ordering more than 1 Switch in their order and they're trying to sort fraudulent orders and get rid of the orders whom wanted more than 1. He said it should take a couple days. 

I then proceed to ask him; "so you're telling me that it has nothing to do with the fact that they don't have enough Nintendo Switch in the warehouse to meet my order demand?". He responds with, "yes, we have more than enough, we're just trying to sort this out". 

Someone explain how this makes literally any sense whatsoever. 

»Paxman    4776
1 hour ago, JC. said:

I haven't been enjoying Breath of the Wild much. Like most games like this, i feel likei am spending more time going around walking than actually playing.

That's basically the game. It basically feels like the main quest is a side quest and the game proper is finding all the heart pieces (where 1 shrine = 1 heart piece and 4 = heart container).

The game definitely would've benefited from 6 or 8 Divine Beasts instead of 4, but they decided to give 1 to each race so I guess it works thematically. I'm not bored of it yet, even the shrines are fun and if you finish the game and put it down for a few months it's probably just as easy to start and love it again.

I just really want the Master Sword. I wish I had more time.

Also I cannot wait for Yooka Laylee next month.

+JC.    4858

I'm also trying to figure out which games I want to get. I think things like Bomberman or 1-2-Switch or the Cut it Out thing would be fun for some amount of time, but nothing seems worth the price tag.

• Upvote 1

»Paxman    4776
1 hour ago, JC. said:

I'm also trying to figure out which games I want to get. I think things like Bomberman or 1-2-Switch or the Cut it Out thing would be fun for some amount of time, but nothing seems worth the price tag.

Yooka Laylee, Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart will be a good start. 

Dank Memeston    1716

Odessey doesn't come out until q3 or q4 but I think I'm getting those other two. 

So far I am very enthused about my switch. It doesn't try to do anything my phone can do and I appreciate that. I am optimistic about Nintendo's future for the next 3 years but a bit pessimistic towards 3rd party developers, especially about 2 years from now when the switch will be noticably far behind on technology.

I like Zelda a lot ATM but I do see that emptiness often but usually only if I don't know what to do. Otherwise the world is filled with shrines and mini puzzles and secrets so I never take the environment for what it shows itself to be which helps to keep it interesting. The questing so far is simple and nice but overall not that compelling which is a bit of a letdown but I guess is in tune with the whole aesthetic of the game.

»Paxman    4776
3 hours ago, Dank Memeston said:

Odessey doesn't come out until q3 or q4 but I think I'm getting those other two. 

So far I am very enthused about my switch. It doesn't try to do anything my phone can do and I appreciate that. I am optimistic about Nintendo's future for the next 3 years but a bit pessimistic towards 3rd party developers, especially about 2 years from now when the switch will be noticably far behind on technology.

I like Zelda a lot ATM but I do see that emptiness often but usually only if I don't know what to do. Otherwise the world is filled with shrines and mini puzzles and secrets so I never take the environment for what it shows itself to be which helps to keep it interesting. The questing so far is simple and nice but overall not that compelling which is a bit of a letdown but I guess is in tune with the whole aesthetic of the game.

Don't forget there's $20 DLC with Hard/Hero Mode and more stuff coming later too.

• Upvote 1

Indignation    2854

I'm going to have to wait to get one. I want Bomberman, Yooka Laylee and Zelda. Right now it's just that the Canadian prices are shockingly really high. I do want 2 full controllers so I would need to get another one but like 100$ for a full controller is rough and 40$ for the mid piece charger grip. Like I don't know man it's weird. I hope they make a bundle soon because I think that would get me over indecision. I like the concept of the switch and it's what I wanted years ago lol.

edit: Canadian prices: 399.99$ for the switch, 89.99$ pro controller, 99.99 for the 2 right and left, 64.99 for right/Left separately. That's insane.

What I would get though which actually is at a decent price is this sick skin here.

Edited by Indignation
  • Upvote 2

IRLAlex    115

I managed to hit one of those GameSeek pre-orders for £198 so woo! I fucked up though by buying Zelda for 70 on UK/IE shop rather than France where it is €50 :(

I enjoy Zelda as in spend a few minutes go here do a puzzle, eat breakfast. After playing Horizon Zero Dawn though, the world emptiness hits me really hard. Looking really forward to ARMS and the rumored Pokemon Stars (if it exists). Might split MK8 with friends and use Download Play for it.

»Paxman    4776

I love the world emptiness. I really think that's how it was advertised and that's what I wanted. I have played every day after work until I go to bed and I haven't gotten bored yet. Hunting shrines and mountain climbing is really fun. Not to mention the small fun things like Yiga clan assassins and I think there's a boss on Mount Lanaryu and there's probably more. Also random Stone Talus and Hilox mini boss fights are fun.

I will say I think they were very lazy with the design of towns. 100 years after the destruction of Hyrule and no one has bothered to expand their towns a little bit? Doubtful. Since Zelda has Ganon locked in Hyrule castle for 100 years I can't believe towns wouldn't be a little more sprawled outwards. But eh. This is definitely a fantastic game and a great step forward for Zelda. More actual side quests (like actual arching side-quests with dungeons) will make the next Zelda even better, and if they bring back dungeon items and less climbing (so the need for hookshot etc to reach certain places in the game) it will make the open world experience different from BotW (while maybe making it go back to being a little more linear). I'm sure there's a perfect balance somewhere.

Bazoo    5692

Ordered breath of the wild for Wii u because I was afraid it might be fairly rare. Seems like it's restocking so I might cancel and wait for another time but I have heard stellar reviews

Nate1080    1224

Had the Switch/Zelda for a week. Great game, favorite Zelda by far, etc. It feels completely different from every Zelda game in terms of controls, I'm still trying to get used to it honestly. Also, this game is hard, thank god because Zelda was getting too damn easy. Zelda by itself is well worth buying the Switch for.

Also, it took me until watching a gameplay video a few minutes ago to realize Link is right handed again in this game. Made sense when they did it in Skyward Sword due to shitty wiimote assfuckery, wonder why they did it again in this game...

lastly, a friend brought me Metal Slug 3 on my Switch. Great co-op game to demonstrate the fact that the Switch has two controllers. 

• Upvote 1

Dank Memeston    1716

I was banking on yookalalee and haven't played my switch in about a month. Going to get Mario kart in a few weeks but I'm kinda disappointed... how is it going for other people?

Axle    1217

Get Puyo Puyo Tetris ($30, April 25th). It's so good.  Until then you can play the english demo which has unlimited 2 player vs or vs COM

• Upvote 1

NB96    830
On 4/14/2017 at 1:07 AM, Dank Memeston said:

I was banking on yookalalee and haven't played my switch in about a month. Going to get Mario kart in a few weeks but I'm kinda disappointed... how is it going for other people?

This same thing happened to me when I first got the Wii. Think I had Wii Sports for ages, Pokemon Battle Revolution, DBZ Tenkaichi 2, Smash Bros Brawl and that was about it. By the time Super Mario Galaxy came out (a game I probably would have enjoyed a lot) my Wii was basically collecting dust.

Edited by NB96
  • Upvote 2

Dank Memeston    1716

I just tried puyo, thanks! It's not my type of game but it seems pretty fun. I guess some dragon quest game comes out on the 25th which might be good.

@banned I got mine on release too but being poor (myself) I never got any games until idk what, maybe Galaxy... Or metalslug idk. (Had Wii sports for at least a month or 3) Galaxyood btw.

NB96    830

I just can't wrap my head around the pricing of this. £279 for the console, £60 for the Pro controller (as an Xbox owner I think this would be worth it), £10 for the screen protector + £60 for games (is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe full retail price?).

Considering splitting the price of everything and just sharing with my brother rather than buying it for myself outright. I'd like to try Mario Kart 8 but I hear you are given every single character right from the beginning, so where's my incentive to play single player? I actually do enjoy winning the cups and unlockng new characters as I play.

Nate1080    1224

I just got Mario Kart two days ago. It is full retail price. If you're like me, who paid full retail + DLC for the WiiU version, its hard to justify buying it again for 60, otherwise its totally worth it. 

(btw I didn't pay shit for it. I traded in old games to gamestop to get it. They're running a deal that gets you 20% extra credit if you trade towards mario kart)

Yes, all characters are unlocked at the start (as well as all speed classes), but most Vehicles/Wheels/Paragliders are locked at the start. Also, to unlock stuff, you need to collect coins as you race offline/online, having more than 1 player play with you helps unlock stuff faster.

Indignation    2854

I actually like the idea of all characters unlocked at the beginning although maybe 1 or 2 locked ones would be cool. I'm sure by Christmas there will be a lot more games to choose from. Especially waiting on a switch main Pokemon game. :)

Grimey    8112

Splatoon 2 comes out in 2 months and that is definitely game of the year, hands down. 

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe still has some unlockable stuff. Gold Kart and Gold Wheels (1 Gold Star+ in Mirror Grand Prix, and beat every staff Time Trial). Also if you do some shit that I don't remember, you can unlock Full Gold Mario. 

NB96    830

Do you need a micro SD card to store data for games from the cartridges, or are those micro SD cards meant to be for games you download from their virtual store? Most of the games I buy are sure to be in their physical copies so I don't actually know if I need one of those cards.

Dank Memeston    1716

Yeah, don't need I unless down loading past whatever the internal storage limit it. 

• Upvote 1

NB96    830

Hey everybody I picked up the Switch at about 10:30/11:00 in the morning and have been playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with my brother for a few hours. The things they can do with technology these days are amazing, those mini controllers are simply the best! Motion control, photo capture on the left, and the horizontal mode has surprisingly been a huge load of fun! I have Zelda and Mario Kart 8 but I don't think I'm going to touch Zelda for a few days! Just need to set up a Nintendo account for access to online gaming!

I had second thoughts about buying this when I went to the store but I'm glad I picked this up now. Overall I was disappointed with the Nintendo Wii but I think this is a lot more refined now in terms of motion control and the general feel. Also I hope more platformer-type games are released in the future. I'm sick and tired of gun games and I'd like something new, Super Mario Odyssey is a start in December but I want more!

Also I still don't know what holding 10 coins at once does in Mario Kart 8 does, anybody else figured it out?

I attached a photo of me on the pause menu!

image.jpeg

I wish I could play all day but I'm scheduled for some volunteer work at a hospice for the 17:00-19:00 shift. Bummer!

Hopefully I wont be the first to discover another dead body like last week.

Edited by NB96
  • Upvote 1

Nate1080    1224

Collecting Coins boost your top speed a bit during races, as well as unlock stuff.

• Upvote 2

NB96    830

Honestly after having spent about an hour or so on Zelda and having fought one group of enemies, I can say say I think the combat is really quite poor. I have not been taught how to toggle between enemies, I move really slow when locking on, there's no way to dodge other than to jump but I get hit all the time when jumping, and when I press right on the D-PAD it doesn't always give me my melee weapons, sometimes it shows the arrows instead and I died because I couldn't get link to equip the weapon I wanted. I thought you hold R and press right at the same time to toggle between bows?

Also if I'm holding ZR for my bow and decide not to fire an arrow, how do I come out of it? I can use the right D-PAD and go to remove but I don't know if that means I lose the bow I was holding.

I really hope it gets better because I was getting really annoyed and died to the same group of enemies who are supposed to be easy 10 times. Was it too much to ask to just put in a dodge roll button? Also do I have to hold L to lock on? Isn't there any way to just press it and have it stay locked on until I want to turn it off?

Surely the combat gets better. There's no way it could possibly receive more than a 5/10 from me if this is really the combat system. I must just be missing something. Then again, it's the game's fault if it gives me an inadequate tutorial.

Edited by NB96

Nate1080    1224

The combat system is really simplified for a 3d zelda title. I feel they did this in favor of encouraging the player to focus on using tactics other than direct battle (some groups of enemies are just insanely hard to beat or not worth fighting) and on the weapon system, as well as make the game a bit more accessible compared to, let's say, Skyward Sword. Also, the not rolling thing and having to manually press the jump button instead of the A button when targeting fucked my head up for a while too. 

I believe there is a way to have the lock on stay on an enemy without holding the button, there usually is on most Zelda titles. I'd go to the control menus and start fucking around in there.

Also, the D-Pad thing has happened to me as well a few times. I think it's because if you used the bow, and didn't un-equip it by pressing the shield/melee weapon button (i.e. he's holding the bow), when you press the left/right on the pad it brings up the Bow and Arrow menus. I haven't purposely tested this yet.

To be very honest, my only gripe with Breath of the Wild is the controls. It definitely takes time to get used to because its a pretty different feel to any other Zelda game.

• Upvote 1