Axle

Nintendo Switch (new console)

NB96    850
16 minutes ago, Nate1080 said:

The combat system is really simplified for a 3d zelda title. I feel they did this in favor of encouraging the player to focus on using tactics other than direct battle (some groups of enemies are just insanely hard to beat or not worth fighting) and on the weapon system, as well as make the game a bit more accessible compared to, let's say, Skyward Sword. Also, the not rolling thing and having to manually press the jump button instead of the A button when targeting fucked my head up for a while too. 

I believe there is a way to have the lock on stay on an enemy without holding the button, there usually is on most Zelda titles. I'd go to the control menus and start fucking around in there.

Also, the D-Pad thing has happened to me as well a few times. I think it's because if you used the bow, and didn't un-equip it by pressing the shield/melee weapon button (i.e. he's holding the bow), when you press the left/right on the pad it brings up the Bow and Arrow menus. I haven't purposely tested this yet.

To be very honest, my only gripe with Breath of the Wild is the controls. It definitely takes time to get used to because its a pretty different feel to any other Zelda game.

I'm glad to see it's not just me who thinks the combat has flaws. If it were up to me I'd demand an overhaul but that will never happen so I guess I just have to persevere.

NB96    850

Beta for Arms is available on eShop, playable from the 26/27th I think. The game looks like loads of fun. Not a proper beat 'em up but a different style of fighter. I'm really looking forward to it.

Also the Street Fighter game comes out on Staurday next week.

NB96    850

@Nate1080 Is Ultra Street Fighter II worth the money? I saw you have it on your profile. I'm tempted to buy it because it would be a good game you can dip into when I'm out and about, but they are charging me £35 for a 25 year-old game...

Also I've really enjoyed the Arms Beta. Really fun game, controls are hard to learn at first but if you persevere the game becomes rewarding. I just hope they let you choose the game mode you want in the full game because I don't want to play the Volleyball mode, it's just not particularly fun compared to the actual fighting.

Edited by NB96

Nate1080    1225

I didn't get to play the Arms beta, the only time I had a chance to do so it literally ended.

For me, Street Fighter is worth it. I literally haven't played Street Fighter 2 in about 6-7 years and before that, the last time I played it was around 2002-2003. My Super Nintendo AC adapter broke and I'm too lazy to buy a new one. For me, this is nostalgia as well as something to play with my friends when I'm at their house or with my older brother. Nostalgia factor alone makes it a decent game to play, along with if you enjoy fighting games or not (I do).

That being said, the price is a bit too high and literally the only reason why I have the game is because I was able to trade in older games I already beat when I was younger at GameStop to cover the price of Street Fighter. It really should be a $15-$20 game instead of a $40 game.

Also Way of the Hado sucks and is awkward.

NB96    850
5 hours ago, Nate1080 said:

I didn't get to play the Arms beta, the only time I had a chance to do so it literally ended.

I might be mistaken but I think beta starts again on June 3rd and 4th, this weekend. Although since people will have started to get the hang of the game at that point.

Nate1080    1225

I'll look into that and play if I get the chance. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up quick.

NB96    850

Really excited for Pokken Tournament DX. I didn't get to play the original Pokken since I never owned a Wii U so being a re-release doesn't affect me at all.

I cannot, however, fathom why Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are 3DS exclusive... you just released a new console so put your newest games on there please. Re-releasing Mario Kart 8 and Pokken Tournament is ok for me but not for people who have/had a Wii U.

Nate1080    1225

I am not a pokemon fan (I hate pokemon), but I have to agree that not putting a pokemon game on the Switch right now is a mistake (Pokken doesn't count). Pokemon just prints money and it would get even more people to buy Switch.

Logically, they probably started development on the games before they even knew about the Switch and over hauling the game just to play it on Switch might not have been worth it or even possible.

+Sophocles    3077
29 minutes ago, Nate1080 said:

I am not a pokemon fan (I hate pokemon), but I have to agree that not putting a pokemon game on the Switch right now is a mistake (Pokken doesn't count). Pokemon just prints money and it would get even more people to buy Switch.

Logically, they probably started development on the games before they even knew about the Switch and over hauling the game just to play it on Switch might not have been worth it or even possible.

It's the 2nd set of games in the gen, those games (excluding reworks of older gens) are always just cash-ins with the storyline re-imagined, trainer teams changed and a handful of legendaries, it's 90% recycled content in terms of assets. Moving it to the Switch would've been a pain.

Mayyyybe a D/P remake for the switch but if I had to guess they probably want to release the next gen on the Switch to show off the capabilities, so that'd be 2019 at the earliest.

Aaron    2028

A standard red/blue remake would be an INSTANT and by instant i mean GOD DAMN INSTANT buy for a switch.  Add in a better storyline and make it a tiny bit more like the cartoon and nostalgia would kick in for everyone. I don't think Nintendo are up to it to be quite honest although BOTW has proven they CAN do an open world when they want to.. but look how long it took them to make it. 

Right now looking at the lineup, nothing the Switch offers makes me want to buy it when I look at my backlog.

However if I was a university student, travelling a bit.. its perfect. My sister is at university, comes home every 2-3 months. The switch is perfect for her. I'm going to buy her one over summer so I can play BOTW if I have time. She'll probably play Mario Kart everyday for a year.

I will however buy a Switch as soon as a 3D fire Emblem game comes out on it. but I don't think thats a system seller, its just a popular game which has a very specific audience and caters really well to it. Mario Odyssey looks awesome but I have galaxy 2 in my backlog at @4k via dolphin on my PC no rush there. Pokken tournament looks solid but I have a hacked Wii U which can play the original and I doubt its a game I'll invest that much time in given I didn't invest much time in super smash bros (that and the fact u have tekken, injustice etc. on the other consoles). 

I think the Switch's future is still safe but they could do with advertising it a bit more to people who commute for business or school or work to maximise sales, and I think that'll come when the library gets bigger. They've held it back with the online features and lack of bluetooth headphones but thats Nintendo. 

Dank Memeston    1716

Well, not regretting my purchase anymore. Thanks e3.

• Upvote 2

Dank Memeston    1716

Well, not regretting my purchase anymore. Thanks e3.

• Upvote 1

Nate1080    1225

I like how the Switch has at least 1 big title a month from now until the end of the year.

A complete 180 from the almost nothing in the first year or two of the WiiUs life.

IRLAlex    116

In addition to Pokemon on Switch, new Mario looks awesome.

• Upvote 1

NB96    850

Yeah Odyssey looks phenomenal; a true platformer with a large amount of different mechanics to keep things from getting stale. I love how they want a player to hold a Joy-Con in each hand rather than use a grip or Pro Controller, which lets them make use of motion control more. The motion controls are really fantastic for the Switch because of their versatility. You could build a game around them (Arms) or use them essentially as extra buttons if you're running out of buttons for all the different mechanics in your game like Odyssey are. That cap on Super Mario's head looked super versatile as well. The gameplay they showed on the Treehouse event was super impressive to me.

2018 has Metroid Prime 4 and a main series Pokemon game. Arms this Friday, Splatoon 2 next month. Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter coming too. Also Kirby and Yoshi look like relaxing games, although Yoshi looked a little too boring and simple for me with seemingly no real challenge whereas Kirby looked like a side-scrolling platformer, which I'm up for after having finished Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. Nintendo won E3, although its competition was lackluster.

Is everybody here buying their games in cartridges? I bought Zelda and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in cartridges when I got the system, but from now on I'm planning on downloading every game just because I think it goes hand in hand with the whole portability aspect of the console. Although a good carry case acomplishes the same thing I supposes.

Edited by NB96

Switch is a great idea and well-specced portable hardware, props on Nintendo for improving on the Wii U, but I'm not ready to buy yet.  Very small library.  Not much third party support.  Liklihood of Nintendo releasing a slimmer/brighter/cheaper version in 2018-19.

Mario Odyssey looks excellent, like a mix of Galaxy's creativity and 64's openness.  Metroid Prime 4 is great news.  Nintendo is listening and they're improving.

Edited by banefulscolumn

NB96    850
10 hours ago, banefulscolumn said:

Switch is a great idea and well-specced portable hardware, props on Nintendo for improving on the Wii U, but I'm not ready to buy yet.  Very small library.  Not much third party support.  Liklihood of Nintendo releasing a slimmer/brighter/cheaper version in 2018-19.

Mario Odyssey looks excellent, like a mix of Galaxy's creativity and 64's openness.  Metroid Prime 4 is great news.  Nintendo is listening and they're improving.

To be fair you could argue that they will release a brand new console in 21-22 if you trust the usual 5 year cycle of Nintendo consoles but I see your point.

EDIT: Just got my last Shrine in Breath Of The Wild yesss

Edited by NB96

NB96    850

Bought ARMS today. Still can't choose which mode you want to play in Party Mode sadly, but Ranked gameplay is apparently all 1v1 fights, my favourite mode. Unfortunately you have to unlock the ability to play Ranked Online matches by beating the Grand Prix (aka Arcade mode) on level 4 or higher. Level 4 is the mid-way point of difficulty, with 7 difficulty levels in total. The final boss is 2x as bad as Shao Kahn in MK9... reads your commands (making him extremely difficult to punish), has 6 arms to your 2, does tons of damage and has a charged up mode in which he is essentially invincible.

Make no mistake, the single player in this game is exceedingly hard. Is it too much to be able to play 1v1 matches from the go? Seriously think they need to patch this game to tone down the difficulty just a little. I'm not enjoying the single player at all, some fights are ridiculously lopsided in favour of the AI. The final boss doesn't just break the mechanics of the game, it obliterates them. At least make the boss play by the same rules as everybody else... it reads your inputs within a frame at times. It's just not fun to play on level 4 or higher.

The online is a lot of fun, just wish I could pick the mode I want and ignore the worse ones like V-Ball, Basketball or the 1v1v1 in which one person usually teams up with the other to get rid of one player so it often ends up as 2v1.

Edited by NB96

IRLAlex    116

The 6 arms are meaningless because he shoots all of them in the same trajectory, I beat him by going in on during his recovery.

NB96    850
9 hours ago, IRLAlex said:

The 6 arms are meaningless because he shoots all of them in the same trajectory, I beat him by going in on during his recovery.

Yeah I managed to beat him on day 1 after watching some videos of how other people did it. I'm convinced that heavy ARMS like Megaton and Megawatt are best against him though, even though they are slow his AI seems like it is programmed to still get hit from time to time from across the screen even though a human would dodge comfortably.

Really enjoying the game a lot more after beating Grand Prix level 4, just wish I could win a little more on ranked mode.

Edited by NB96

Nate1080    1225

Updated the Switch last night to version 3.0. A cool feature that you can do on it is invert colors and make colors grayscale.

Playing Mario Kart in Inverted is trippy as fuck.

Edit: Also the Mayflash Gamecube Controller Adapter works for the Switch now. Just need to update the adapter on a PC. Treats the GC like a Pokken Controller, works in games that can use a DPad as a control method (like Mario Kart and Street Fighter). Doesn't work in BotW.

NB96    850

Splatoon 2 comes out tomorrow. Anybody getting it? lso, did anyone play in the Global Splatfest last weekend? I became an Ice Cream King and Team Ice Cream won 2-1 over Team Cake. It was fun and my first attempt at playing Splatoon. I thought the Turf War mode was a little hectic and I felt that aiming the Sniper gun ws a little tough. I switched to just using the right stick for all camera movements but I might try the motion controls instead since I've read that some people feel they are more precise. I will probably download the game rather than buy the cartridge.

Grimey    8113

Splatoon 2 is literally the best game that will ever drop for this console 

Zelda was amazing and I'm a huge Zelda fanboy but literally nothing can compare to how much game time and fun I will get out of Splatoon 2. 

I took the whole fucking weekend off work so I can play it 

Nate1080    1225

Im getting it tomorrow. Playing in the global splatfest gave me a chance to test the game with motion controls. I like it much better than I thought I would, I got kills I probably otherwise wouldnt have without it. Even with max sensitivity, playing with only the right stick feels slow in this game.

The motion is definitely better than the first splatoon. That shit felt clunky as fuck with the gamepad.

NB96    850
2 hours ago, Nate1080 said:

Im getting it tomorrow. Playing in the global splatfest gave me a chance to test the game with motion controls. I like it much better than I thought I would, I got kills I probably otherwise wouldnt have without it. Even with max sensitivity, playing with only the right stick feels slow in this game.

When using the right stick for all camera movement I turned the sensitivity down to the lowest possible amount because it was just too fast for me so I felt I couldn't accurately shoot anybody lol.

Edited by NB96