Axle

Nintendo Switch (new console)

NB96    779

I just downloaded Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, have completed world 1-1 and I feel early on that it is a charming strategy game. I like being able to do multiple things in a turn: move, attack and then retreat to cover. It's not too complicated so far but it has a layer of strategy that I think I will enjoy when I continue playing tomorrow. The game is a little simple at the start (I always just dash into an enemy, jump off a teammate and then attack the enemy again as my bread and butter move) but I'm sure I will have to start setting up my team to take cover more and decide when and when not to attack as I progress. I also like how the probability of your attack hitting is always 0%, 50% or 100% which reduces the luck factor because you know the likelihood of your plan working out. You don't for example have to worry about attacking at 90% chance of hitting, but still miss due to RNG. I think an online mode where you could test your team and strategy against an opponent would be a cool addition but if they had any intention of making one I'm sure it would already be in the game. I have never played a strategy game before but having recently picked up chess as well I would like to try to give this game an honest try.

In unrelated news, the next Splatoon 2 Splatfest will feature teams based on superpowers: flight or invisibility? For me I will choose team invisibility!

Edited by NB96

Grimey    8197

chose team flight for splatoon bc im pretty sure every lil kid in the world will pick invisibility 

Nate1080    1160

Not sure if you guys saw the Nintendo Direct yesterday, if not here it is (its 45mins) : I 

There’s a lot of neat stuff in this direct, but the most important take away from it is that Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein 2 are coming to the Switch. Doom to come out this year and Wolfenstein to come out early next year. Two really huge AAA 3rd party titles coming to the Switch, from Bethestha of all companies. That is exactly what Switch needs, something that Wii/WiiU never really got and GameCube/N64 barely had.

If those do really well (and run well), expect more AAA 3rd party support for the Switch.

NB96    779

Super Mario Odyssey truly looks phenomenal. Breath of the Wild may have a fight on it's hands for game of the year. This is exactly why I bought the Switch; the quality of these exclusives (LoZ, ARMS, Splatoon, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Pokémon etc) is greater than any other console. It just needs those third party developers to take the plunge. Capcom are supposed to be very satisfied with sales of Ultra Street Fighter II, and I'll definitely be picking up FIFA 18. Bethesda also seem to believe in the console. So hopefully we'll see more and more third party titles.

They could still improve the quality of their online service though. A web browser and a way to message friends would be a good start. I hope they don't have the nerve to start charging for their online service before they have made updates and improvements like that though. I don't mind if it stays as it is as long as it's free, but I don't want to pay until there's more.

Edited by NB96

Aaron    1978

yup you are pretty much right.

then if you factor in portable skyrim etc. it becomes ridiculous for people like me who can't afford time infront of the TV a lot.

I've sunk 10+ hours into cold steel 2 at work. if i was to play it on PS3, i don't think i'd ever complete it. 

Once a proper Fire Emblem game comes out (hopefully without the cashgrabbing which fates did) plus Portable Pokemon, it will literally explode. I want to buy Nintendo stock simply for that. 

This isn't even factoring in the inevitable Super Smash Brothers and Mario Kart which will come in the next few years. 

Third party wise I'm still comfortably worried tho. Its sad bigger games have got dumped (dark souls 3, kingdom hearts 3, ff 15). I honestly thought switch might've gotten some form of <720p version of these games. It would have been VERY tempting given the portable aspect to actually complete bigger longer games. 

I kind of can't wait for the 3DS to die so Nintendo can pump ALL their resources into the switch. I think the loss of the two screens might be a bit of a pain tho in keeping exclusive 3DS franchises exclusive as its not a simple case of "why not" port these titles to bigger consoles. 

Edited by Aaron

NB96    779

Pokken Tournament DX also comes out this Friday, I think. I was excited to try it out for a while but I played the free demo and was unimpressed. I think I'll just pass. My brother told me that long combos weren't much of a thing in Street Fighter II, it was more about Fireballs + Dragon Fists, and your own movement. That suits me well because I'm not good at learning combos, if I just need to do simple motions for my moves I prefer it. For this reason I am considering picking up Ultra Street Fighter II instead.

Edited by NB96

Nate1080    1160

Has your brother seen Ultra Street Fighter 2? Specifically Violent Ken, Evil Ryu and Akuma? They break the game completely.

generally speaking long combos aren’t that much of a thing in SF, unlike Marvel vs Capcom or Tekken, mainly the focus is on spacing and zoning but in Ultra...its just touch of death combos. Its literally the goofiest version of Street Fighter 2, its fun but broken.

Just go look up Akuma, Violent Ken and Evil Ryu shit in the game. None of what they’re doing is very hard to do either. Just a heads up.