Axle

Nintendo Switch (new console)

Nate1080    1225

ARMS just had its last character/stage update last night. Balance patches will still be relased though.

It was a good run. 5 or so free characters/stages in the last 6 months is pretty good for a fighting game this generation. Not even mad tbh, the characters (especially the last one) have been really fun to play with.

EDIT: apparently it was mistranslated and they meant the last major update this year...? Its not entirely clear. I do hope they don’t stop updating this game yet, its apparently supposed to be at EVO Japan next year.

At least it ended with this sick ass title screen:

486171F3-CD45-4EE8-B1CE-4CA711FA8402.jpeg

long season    4

picked up a switch with botw and odyssey. it's super comfy laying in bed under blankets with a joycon in each hand exploring in zelda

more opinions to come

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10225

Playing Zelda on my 3DS was amazing, I'm sure the switch is as well

NB96    850

New Super Mario Odyssey online mode and more!

Dark Souls Remastered will also be really cool!

Edited by NB96

Nate1080    1225

Tropical Freeze is an amazing port. Best 2D platformer this generation imo, thank god its not just limited to the WiiU anymore.

Also, the SNK fighting game, while I don’t have any interest in it, looks decent and is welcome. The Switch/Nintendo needs more new fighting games (not just ports/remasters), all these fighting games coming out and most are passing the Switch by.

+Gemstone Mine    2596

man, if only nintendo had one of the most beloved fighting game series all to themselves, and all they had to do was make a game, or port one of the old ones, 3/4 of which would be very welcome.

• Upvote 1

Nate1080    1225

Lets make that half. Smash 64 is kind of sketch tbh, past the nostalgia is a pretty wonky game.

• Thanks 1

BuildTheWalia    250

I'd be happy with a Brawl port. If you don't like the vanilla, I'm sure someone will find a way to get Minus/PM on it.

Nate1080    1225

I’d be pissed if they did a Brawl port before a Smash 4 port. Smash 4 is so much better than Brawl it isn’t funny. Like...Brawl isn’t fun at all, lol. 

Honestly, if they choose not to do a brand new Smash, I can see Nintendo making a Smash collection just like how Capcom is making a Street Fighter collection. 4 games in 1 cart. Every game is online enabled. Everyone wins.

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10225
8 hours ago, Nate1080 said:

I’d be pissed if they did a Brawl port before a Smash 4 port. Smash 4 is so much better than Brawl it isn’t funny. Like...Brawl isn’t fun at all, lol. 

Honestly, if they choose not to do a brand new Smash, I can see Nintendo making a Smash collection just like how Capcom is making a Street Fighter collection. 4 games in 1 cart. Every game is online enabled. Everyone wins.

Smash 4 has 1000x more netcode to deal with, I can 100% see why they are porting Brawl and not creating an entire Smash 4 multiplayer ecosystem.  Also like they are probably going to release Smash 5 in 2019 so yeah that's a thing.  

picked one of these bad boys up the other week, never looked back. pokken was a fun bundle game for about half an hour, BoTW is addicting and fun and i plan to get MK8 and Fire Emblem Warriors later today.

after that idk what to get when my next payday comes. Arms looks fun but i'm hearing so much good shit about Splatoon 2 it makes me wonder. 

Nate1080    1225
3 hours ago, Urthor said:

Smash 4 has 1000x more netcode to deal with, I can 100% see why they are porting Brawl and not creating an entire Smash 4 multiplayer ecosystem.  Also like they are probably going to release Smash 5 in 2019 so yeah that's a thing.  

Porting Smash 4 would be insanely easy compared to porting Brawl, netcode would be the smallest hurdle. Also porting Brawl would be dumb since very few people even liked the game, competitive and casual players alike. Why port a game that relatively no one likes?

Also, would give them a chance to make Smash 4 netcode good. Smash 4 netcode, while not as bad as Brawl, is awful.

Lastly, Smash 5 in 2019 would be a miracle considering we haven’t heard anything of it at all and they like to take their sweet time making Smash. The creation of Smash 4 injured the developer, so a Smash 5 happening period is truly up in the air.

+Gemstone Mine    2596
1 hour ago, Nate1080 said:

the creation of Smash 4 injured the developer, so a Smash 5 happening period is truly up in the air.

what?

In no world was smash 4 not a success. It sold well, did well critically and with the public, and bolstered the sales of an otherwise dead on arrival console. There's literally no reason to use it as a reason to not make smash 5.

Sales-wise, it put up near identical numbers to brawl, which is a minor miracle given the relative unpopularity of the 3ds/wii-u compared to the baseline wii (for perspective, as of last december, the wii-u sold only about a tenth of the consoles the wii did, and the 3ds and wii-u together put up about 70% of the wii's numbers), and how lukewarm brawl was recieved.

• Upvote 2

Nate1080    1225

I never said it wasn’t a success, you misinterpreted what I meant.

I meant that literally Sakurai, the creator, injured himself (I believe it was his hands) working on Smash 4.

• Haha 1

Aaron    2028

sakurai's comments did point towards huge stress for making smash 4. . 

anyway playing botw and it is insane. possibly the most beautiful game i've ever played. i've sunk at least 40 hours into this thing and still only got 1 champion. climbing up a mountain is fun on this game. fucking hell. 

after this game, i might pick up xeno 2 or play witcher 3 (if i can find myself the heart to buy a graphics card)  + rabbids on the go. 

+Urthor    10225

Sakurai can fuck off though, rather anyone else make a successful smash game, now the foundations of the formula are in a different vision would probably be just as successful.  

Need to put some pennies aside for a switch at this rate...

Nate1080    1225

I strongly doubt anyone else could make a good Smash game though, Sakurai (love him or hate him for whatever reasons) put in so much work its insane and I doubt many other people at Nintendo have such a work ethic.

At that point, just port Smash 4. Any new Smash would literally be the same thing, as some random would likely just copy that formula anyways or, worse imo, try to copy the Melee formula to apease the fanbase*.

*I like Melee, but lets be honest: its definitely a product of its time to say the least. Though it may lack the “advanced tech” of Melee and may not be as fast, Smash 4 has overall better gameplay feel and controls. Also, outside of the competitive Melee community, more people actually like Smash 4 over Melee.

BuildTheWalia    250
1 hour ago, Nate1080 said:

I strongly doubt anyone else could make a good Smash game though, Sakurai (love him or hate him for whatever reasons) put in so much work its insane and I doubt many other people at Nintendo have such a work ethic.

At that point, just port Smash 4. Any new Smash would literally be the same thing, as some random would likely just copy that formula anyways or, worse imo, try to copy the Melee formula to apease the fanbase*.

*I like Melee, but lets be honest: its definitely a product of its time to say the least. Though it may lack the “advanced tech” of Melee and may not be as fast, Smash 4 has overall better gameplay feel and controls. Also, outside of the competitive Melee community, more people actually like Smash 4 over Melee.

I agree that Sakurai makes Smash games like no other. However, I disagree that the formula has become "stale" and any new game would be a waste. Smash 4 is by no means a perfect game, both casually and competitively. Look how the game has changed over the years, with each iteration bringing a bunch of new things to the table. I for one would be excited to see what new changes they would make to Smash 5, as well as the roster and how the competitive scene would take shape.

"Smash 4 having better gameplay, feel, and controls" is entirely your opinion. 

You can't just set aside the competitive community of one game and then compare it to the combined competitive and casual communities of another. Setting aside "the competitive community" of both games would leave us with a bunch of people who played Melee as kids and a bunch of people who play Smash 4 currently. Smash 4 has the larger "casual" fanbase because it's easier to access. You have it on the Wii U, both digitally and sold in just about every current game store. It's also portable on the 3DS.

If they decide to port Melee to the switch, it would definitely recreate the game's more "casual" fanbase and put the competitive scene back into the spotlight. If they port Smash 4, it would revitalize the competitive scene and make it even more accessible to everyone. Or they might create an entirely new game. It all depends on what they decide to do in the coming years.

Or maybe they'll just create the Smash Compendium like you said, porting all the games to the switch and making netplay for each. Wouldn't that be something...

Edited by BuildTheWalia

Nate1080    1225

I’m wondering, how many of you have choosen to buy games digitally or physically?

Right now 5 of my games are physical (Zelda, Mario, ARMS, Splatoon and Mario Kart), with the exception of Oddysey as it was a Christmas present, I only have those physical because 1) trade in deals at gamestop basically made those games free for me and 2) 1st party Nintendo games usually keep value for resell/trade when I’m done with them. 

all mine are physical for the moment except random Kof game (i forget which one) i downloaded when i was bored one day. the thing is even if most switch games wont be breaking the bank in terms of size, they still add up. the Wii U off internal memory could hold at least from my perspective about 2 full games and a bunch of download titles. meaning the switch would likely fill up quickly too, nessecitating a micro SD, which in turn would need to be kept in good condition and on hand to play any games you download to it.

on the flipside, if you have the cash in the bank, you can digitally buy and download those games as soon as they come out, sometimes cheaper than any local shop and play them as soon as they download. so its entirely up to you

personally i've been considering getting the 2 bayonetta games since i never owned either before now. 

Grimey    8113

all of my games are digital except for zelda

digital is definitely the way to go - I have 6 fantastic games I can play pretty much anywhere (zelda, mario kart, splatoon 2, xenoblade 2, pokken) 

every time I need to make space for a new game, I delete an old one. the application stays on my dashboard so when I want to play it, I just delete another one and re-download the last one. 

NB96    850

I download everything now but I have cartridges for Zelda, MK8 and ARMS.

Aaron    2028

physical easily. 

digital have ZERO resale value.  I only buy digital if the priceis low aka steam 

nintendos digital pricing stucture is also shit. 

Edited by Aaron
  • Upvote 2