Axle

Nintendo Switch (new console)

Nate1080    1224

Shitty digital pricing is the only real reason why I even have physical games for the Switch. I can live without resale value.

I asked the question because I see a lot of people online bitching about some games being digital only on Switch and wanted to see if people outside of nintendo fandom actually care. Personally, swapping cartidges is a pain, especially while traveling, they often aren’t being read by the Switch so I have to insert them again or blow them a few times to get it to work. 

Aarons post gives me an idea of some things I wish Nintendo would do, but I know damn sure they won’t. 

1) Like Steam, the ability to get a full refund (or eshop credit) for digital games played witihin the last week or two, with 2 or less hours of play time.

2) The ability to “sell” a digital game with more than 2 hours/1+ week of playtime back to the eshop and get partial eshop credit back.

3) Digital games need to have a lower base prices than physical. For example a $60 physical game should be at least $15 cheaper digital. 

I think the above 3 ideas would get people to download their games more, especially when Nintendo starts charging for online in the fall.

NB96    842
6 hours ago, Nate1080 said:

Shitty digital pricing is the only real reason why I even have physical games for the Switch. I can live without resale value.

I asked the question because I see a lot of people online bitching about some games being digital only on Switch and wanted to see if people outside of nintendo fandom actually care. Personally, swapping cartidges is a pain, especially while traveling, they often aren’t being read by the Switch so I have to insert them again or blow them a few times to get it to work. 

Aarons post gives me an idea of some things I wish Nintendo would do, but I know damn sure they won’t. 

1) Like Steam, the ability to get a full refund (or eshop credit) for digital games played witihin the last week or two, with 2 or less hours of play time.

2) The ability to “sell” a digital game with more than 2 hours/1+ week of playtime back to the eshop and get partial eshop credit back.

3) Digital games need to have a lower base prices than physical. For example a $60 physical game should be at least $15 cheaper digital. 

I think the above 3 ideas would get people to download their games more, especially when Nintendo starts charging for online in the fall.

I think retailers would get angry though because nobody would buy Nintendo games from them if it was cheaper to download and that could end up being bad for Nintendo in the long-term.

Aaron    2025

even if Nintendo made those changes, I wouldn't buy. 

Physical copies of most games plummet quickly unless ur talking about Zelda/Odyssey etc... and those games will never drop in price online either.

I got Xenoblade 2 for £30 physical.  Nintendo sell the fucking DLC for £27. they can go suck a dick. 

Nate1080    1224

Perhaps, but I believe its pretty shitty of either Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to sell digital games for the same price as physical games considering manufacturing costs are pretty much cut out entirely.

If not cut down the base price, at least give better sales/discounts more often online (especially on larger titles). Retailers won’t get mad because it wouldn’t be permanent, Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony would actually benefit because it would mostly be pure profit, and the consumer gets a good deal on a game they probably wouldn’t have brought at full price otherwise. Everyone wins.

Aaron    2025
Posted (edited)

retailers would get mad.

are u dumb? 

consistently undercutting those who u supply to, will eventually cause them to do a massive fuck you and stop doing business with them because they are buying full price stock knowing it probably won't tell and will be undercut by the supplier. it would mean buying nintendo games as a wholesaler would be incredibly risky, knowing they'll probably dscount the games every so often online and that customers would likely wait for those. 

everyone doesn't win, the retailers CLEARLY miss out big time, nintendo end up having selling less games and the only winners would be the consumers. 

Edited by Aaron

+Urthor    10220

Physical games cost money because you have to give the retailer a margin.  That's it.

Pricing digital games at the same level pretty much is the same as increasing the price of boxed games from 60 to 80 dollars for digital providers, it's that much of a profit/revenue jump.  That's the only reason they do it, and increased revenue is honestly good for the industry when they're not doing it via the lootbox method.

Aaron    2025

Finished Xenoblade 2 and it was incredible IMO.

Pacing is great for a JRPG, if not a bit too short at the end of what I'm used to.

Storyline is a perfect blend of emotion, philosophy and complimented with a varied and extension cast of heroes and villains. 

The battle system is probably my favourite JRPG battle system of all time; my only complaint being any block/evasion utility is a passive skill usually. 

The OST is probably one of, if not my favorite of all time again for a JRPG.

The level of customisation, secret side quests, character dialogues and pokemon-like collection of blades provides tremendous value. 

Its negatives include a battle system which takes a while to show good it gets, the side quests are sometimes really plain but some are downright amazing, the cities are too big [when you are using a mini map marker to go somewhere, you are killing immersion IMO: please see BOTW for my advice on how to counter this game developers] and the platforming is terrible (as it always is on every JRPG]. The common blades system is also very lazy and probably there because of budget and time constraints as making 150+ unique blades would be a pain in the butt given how much detail goes into their unique skill trees. 

Its a must-buy and when you add in mini-games which can be played on the go to salvage better gear for your party, it makes it even better. Since  I love JRPG/Animes, I'd say this probably ranks up with my enjoyment levels of BOTW if not a notch higher at some places simply because the cut scenes/plot are THAT good. 

Now I move onto Mario & Rabbids and then I'm done with all my switch games I've bought so far which is ashame. 

NB96    842

There is a free demo available for Kirby Star Allies available on the eStore right now. I played one level and liked it. It was a little easy but it had a relaxing and nice atmosphere to it that I liked a lot.

NB96    842

Also Nintendo Direct came out yesterday with some big reveals for 2018.

Nate1080    1224
13 hours ago, NB96 said:

There is a free demo available for Kirby Star Allies available on the eStore right now. I played one level and liked it. It was a little easy but it had a relaxing and nice atmosphere to it that I liked a lot.

I played both levels, they’re both easy imo but Kirby as a series isn’t known to be particularly hard anyways. Just a fun chill time with light challenges.

I haven’t played many Kirby games, but the one’s I’ve played have been really good and this demo makes me want to get this game. Only issues is that it can get a bit cluttered managing 4 characters and it takes a bit to get used to the controls.

Grimey    8113

everybody will own a switch now

it's time 

• Thanks 1

Aaron    2025

ya smash bros dropping with their online service is gg.

a properly marketted smash bros with a solid competitive online structure + a good single player story mode would be INSANE.

however i dont have faith in nintendo to manufacture a storymode which does the SUPERB cast justice 

Grimey    8113
16 minutes ago, Aaron said:

ya smash bros dropping with their online service is gg.

a properly marketted smash bros with a solid competitive online structure + a good single player story mode would be INSANE.

however i dont have faith in nintendo to manufacture a storymode which does the SUPERB cast justice 

the fact that it's currently portable and capable of online and lan play (while being portable), is a huge game changer

the story mode could be complete shit. they could fuck up absolutely everything, but with a good cast of new characters (i.e; inklings, rex/mythra/pyra from xenoblade 2, mewtwo from pokken etc.), the design of the game is kind of idiot proof. they're going to make a HUGE amount of money regardless

Aaron    2025
1 hour ago, Grimey said:

the fact that it's currently portable and capable of online and lan play (while being portable), is a huge game changer

the story mode could be complete shit. they could fuck up absolutely everything, but with a good cast of new characters (i.e; inklings, rex/mythra/pyra from xenoblade 2, mewtwo from pokken etc.), the design of the game is kind of idiot proof. they're going to make a HUGE amount of money regardless

yup no doubt 

Bazoo    5698

Ugh, almost no reason to own a Wii U now, lol. Nintendo will destroy this year no doubt though

• Upvote 1

NB96    842
Posted (edited)

The only problem I had with the Kirby Star Allies demo is that I wasn't really playing the game once I got four alies because they beat al the enemies for me so I just had to move right in a 2D game. I barely did any damage to the boss either it was just my alies wailing on him until I won.

Edited by NB96

Nate1080    1224

I want good netcode for this Smash coming up. Smash 4 had so-so netcode, barely playable online.

NB96    842
Posted (edited)

Bayonetta 1 is really difficult on Normal mode. Also the camera is terrible. I still like the game though but I think I will pass on the second one.

Edited by NB96

Nate1080    1224

I heard the second one is a lot better than the first one.

NB96    842
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nate1080 said:

I heard the second one is a lot better than the first one.

My main problem with the game is that the combat is based around the witch-time mechanic but there is no clear indicator for when enemies will attack. If it had indicators like in the Batman Arkham series the combat would be awesome imo.

Also idk why I can't check my move list from the pause menu, only from the gates of hell for some reason. I forget which moves I've bought and which I haven't.

Edited by NB96

Aaron    2025

i hated bayo 1 in hindsight.

heard bayo 2 is awesome tho. 

Grimey    8113
5 hours ago, Aaron said:

i hated bayo 1 in hindsight.

heard bayo 2 is awesome tho. 

i hated both in hindsight but they were fairly decent games 

if you take the time to learn all of the combos that you're capable of pulling off, the game gets pretty insane pretty quickly (more enjoyable) 

higher difficulties are just really stupid. usually consists of spamming witch-time and over-powered katana charge moves. 

NB96    842

Kirby Star Allies releases tomorrow, anybody picking it up? I think I will.