Axle

Nintendo Switch (new console)

Axle    1215

Introducing Nintendo Switch! In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

Hybrid just as rumored.  Console + Portable 

Local multiplayer support when portable.

New Mario game.

Edit: Not backwards compatible unless it uses digital to transfer the game. Extremely unlikely though.

On the plus side, that means new Mario Kart and new Splatoon too. 

• Upvote 1

Nate1080    1171

I doubt it's backwards compatible with WiiU, it's using cartridges not discs. They most likely are remasters of Wii U games.

If it is backwards compatible, hopefully games that I downloaded onto my WiiU can be downloaded onto Switch.

This looks really cool. This is what the WiiU should've been.

Axle    1215

Idk.

Maybe it's a new Mario Kart and a new Splatoon they showed. It didn't seem it, but who knows. I thought it was backwards compatible by the fact that the Mario kart looked like 8. But King Boo isn't in 8. So you might be right. 

+Urthor    10239

Nintendo are being pretty upfront about the fact they want to sell you a second copy of all your old games by showing that it does not accept disks.  There will be no backward compatibility.  

Nate1080    1171

Actually, looking at the images, it might be a completely new Mario Kart. They're holding two items, not 1 like in MK8.

Might be a completely new Splatoon as well, seems likely imo.

+Urthor    10239

oh before I forget

YOU BETTER BE ABLE TO PLAY WII TENNIS WITH THOSE LITTLE WAVEY AROUNDEY THINGIES.  IM WARNING YOU NINTENDO, YOU BETTER COME THROUGH ON THIS

Axle    1215
1 hour ago, Grimey said:

Y'ALL SEE SKYRIM BEING PLAYED PORTABLY?? 

HELLO????????????

To be fair, you might as well be using a Laptop to play Skyrim portably because of the NX portable size. That thing is fitting in no ones pockets, so you will need a bag to carry it. 

If it was the same size as the 3DS, it would be a lot better as a portable.

Nate1080    1171

It looks slim enough to fit in most pockets, but I think it would stick out a bit due to the controller's on the sides. 

Footprint looks barely bigger than the iPad mini so I don't think it's fair to say that you might as well carry a laptop to play Skyrim considering its more of a hassle to carry a laptop than a tablet.

Axle    1215

You can detach the controllers and put them in your other pocket (lol). But I think it would still be too wide. 

Grimey    8228

This thing definitely won't fit in your pocket but it doesn't change the fact that it's portable and also can be MULTIPLAYER. 

It's a PORTABLE MULTIPLAYER DEVICE. Do you guys understand how fucking revolutionary that is??? I'm too hype. 

• Upvote 2

Axle    1215

Yeah trying to get multiplayer setup with 3ds was a pain in the ass since you both needed the cart and the console. Too bad you need 2 consoles/carts to play with 4 people, but I guess the system isn't powerful enough for 4 player split.

Hopefully it can do 4 player split when docked, but isn't the docking machine just pieces of plastic? 

To be fair Nintendo is basically the only one still doing 4 player split for AAA games.  

Grimey    8228

Yeah the dock really has me confused. It doesn't look like anything other than plastic which helps you connect to a television. 

+ACP+    34068

I feel that a large part of the reason why Nintendo did so poorly with their last two consoles was their huge lack of 3rd-party game support. Almost every game that I wanted to buy for the last 3 years or so was for Xbox, Playstation, and PC only. In other words, everything except Nintendo. It looks like they plan to address this major flaw with their next console, but only time will tell I suppose.

Axle    1215

Really it all comes down to whether they have the userbase for 3rd parties to want to make games for the system.

There won't be a new 3DS successor iirc, since Switch is a successor to both Wii U and 3DS. 3DS support will probably drop slowly in the next year.

So my thoughts are:

By combining their console userbase and their handheld userbase (which is almost 5x the size of their console), the Switch should be pretty popular as long as it has the right price ($300 or less). This userbase will likely make it a very appealing system for 3rd parties. 

As long as they can break the "Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo games" stigma anyways. Which has always been a bad publisher argument because the ports are  usually awful, months late and scarce. Of course no one buys them then. The first wave of Wii U ports were just ports of half a year old PS3/360 games.

Also the WiiUs gimmicks on ports were pretty weak so people with 2 consoles/PC will probably buy it for their main console. Having your game completely portable is a real benefit over PS4/One so it should be different this time for those people.  This is a top post on /r/gaming

HYbjlEz.png

Of course the Nvidia Shield has existed for a long time and isn't popular. Same with the Vita. Playing AAA games portable is nothing new. But it's a bit different here because you're paying money for 2 experiences in 1, while also having the benefit of knowing the system is going to have high quality Nintendo games. Also the Nintendo Switch is at the same level of strength as the current generation, while Vita/Shield are behind (though close). The local multiplayer is an added bonus too.

+Digbick    7376

do you guys know why its called the switch? its cuz your gonna switch off the console when ur done playing it!!!!1111

Mr Dragon    300
27 minutes ago, RZR_DigbickThePickleMan said:

do you guys know why its called the switch? its cuz your gonna switch off the console when ur done playing it!!!!1111

That's good, I hate how much electricity the 'rest mode' of other consoles wastes.

+Mascis    4385

i read that this mp3 is stored on every nintendo swtich

• Upvote 3