Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NetRepTodd

Reply to topic - data being cached?

6 posts in this topic

So over the past few weeks, I've noticed that there has been an issue regarding cached data in the reply textbox at the bottom of a thread.  At first I thought maybe it was my browser caching the data.  Since then I've cleared browser data multiple times, and the original text is still appearing in that specific thread.

My example:

I went to make a post in the Constructed Standard thread for magic.  I copied a decklist from magic.wizards website and pasted it.  However, pasting kept the formatting from wizards website, so I tried to re-format some of the text and quotes.  Something came up while I was working on it, and I had to shut down my computer.

I turned my computer back on a few hours later, and went to re-type my post.  My post was saved.  I tried to delete everything in the post to start over from scratch, and it kept all of the quote boxes and formatting for other things.  No matter what I try, I can't seem to remove the quote boxes, but I could remove the text inside of them, so now whenever I go to reply in the standard constructed thread, I always have empty quote boxes with no text or formatting.

Wasn't sure if anyone else was experiencing this issue or not.  I can post the empty quote box to fix my issue, but I don't want folk reading the thread to stumble across an empty post.

I haven't tried to see if this issue exists in other browsers yet, but will when I get a chance.  It's been happening on Chrome so far.

If you want to the delete the entirety of a saved post (including formatting) go to "source" in the top left of the post box and then delete everything. Click source again to switch back to normal.

Also, when you paste text from an external source, you should be given the option to remove formatting at the bottom of the post box. Just click that, and all of the formatting will go away.

Appreciated Allen.

Somewhat related - Doesn't having to click source and delete the html of the content and click source to go back to the standard text editor give for a slightly poor user experience?  It would make sense to be able to highlight and delete the quoted source from the standard text editor, right?

If we have no control over this, don't worry about it.  I think it would be a more user friendly feature is all.

Regardless, thanks.  Haven't learned all of the new features of the site yet since the upgrade a while back.

I agree that the current interface is not particularly user-friendly. As far as I know, there isn't an easy way to change this, and I don't have enough knowledge to mess around with the inter-workings of IPS and try to find some way to code around it.

7 hours ago, ACP said:

I agree that the current interface is not particularly user-friendly. As far as I know, there isn't an easy way to change this, and I don't have enough knowledge to mess around with the inter-workings of IPS and try to find some way to code around it.

Tyranno now feels like he needs to gain an intimate knowledge of IPS so he can become indispensable 

Just now, TheGoldenTyranno said:

Tyranno now feels like he needs to gain an intimate knowledge of IPS so he can become indispensable 

Better not do it before you hit -1000 rep otherwise I lose out in the tipping competition