Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LollerskatesGhost

Attention old people!

20 posts in this topic

I'm back once again for my periodic checkup on this strange, strange website.  Who's all still here from way back when?  How have you been?  What have you been up to in your lives?  Looks like activity is dwindling.  I thought I remembered this site having an average of over 100 active users, but now you're down to only 20-30.  Has Yugioh been dying out?

As for me, I've gotten married, bought a house, and though unguided by a career choice, I work with a land surveying company.  The work is decent, but not spectacular.  I spent about 4 or 5 years playing League of Legends religiously, but ended up rage-quitting forever last March(ish).  Aside from work, I spend a lot of time these days browsing Reddit, watching Netflix/anime, doing housework, drinking beer, eating McDonald's, and pretending I'm going to spend more time at the gym and get in shape.

I can't say Duelistgroundz was a super excellent and positive part of my life, but I'm sure it played a big role in shaping who I am, and I get nostalgic.

So tell me what you've been up to for this past handful of years.  New people feel free to tell me all about yourselves.

Oh.  I guess I made a similar post last time I stopped by.  Disregard the middle part if you want.  Or most of it.  Or all of it.  Or none of it.

Uh, I'm 28 now, this year I finally moved out of the town I'd lived for 25 years (I left my parents basement in 2013.. lol) 

I work at a finance company, I live with my girlfriend who is the best, I sold DG in may after another instance of me proving I'm a terrible driver

Sadly, I think you were before my time. I joined DGz in late 2007, but I didn't really become relevant as a member until mid 2008 at best (this was when I made the legendary achievement of beating Brian Bodkin at nats).

As our userbase has matured, a lot less of us play Yugioh now. Some of us just dick around in CSK, others post in the ygo boards to complain about how much the game sucks, others just said fuck it and left the site entirely. Things are going well though, and I say that as someone who's normally quite pessimistic.

i was diagnosed with schizophrenia ten years ago. back then i felt like i experienced a spiritual awakening but it was so intense that i had a mental breakdown. my diagnosis was changed to bipolar-type schizoaffective disorder a few years ago and i was also diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. my psychiatrist said she might change my diagnosis to bipolar disorder since i haven't had a psychotic episode in ten years which happened for one day only when i didn't sleep for a week. i still live in new york city. my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer last year and passed away earlier this year due to the cancer spreading to the liver. i live with my dad now. i am poor and have no job but i am really happy and have more self-control thanks to buddhism and taoism which have been extremely helpful with depression and mania.

6 minutes ago, ducktape said:

i was diagnosed with schizophrenia ten years ago. back then i felt like i experienced a spiritual awakening but it was so intense that i had a mental breakdown. my diagnosis was changed to bipolar-type schizoaffective disorder a few years ago and i was also diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. my psychiatrist said she might change my diagnosis to bipolar disorder since i haven't had a psychotic episode in ten years which happened for one day only when i didn't sleep for a week. i still live in new york city. my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer last year and passed away earlier this year due to the cancer spreading to the liver. i live with my dad now. i am poor and have no job but i am really happy and have more self-control thanks to buddhism and taoism which have been extremely helpful with depression and mania.

Are you 1337 quack?

Just now, LollerskatesGhost said:

Are you 1337 quack?

i am reggie but i used to talk to quack a lot on aim with wumbologist and greg (batman/alphabet). i go on aim sometimes nowadays. quack was banned from this site.

Just now, LollerskatesGhost said:

That was my second guess.  Because duck.

Sorry about your mom.  :CRY:

she was my best friend. my dad is also my best friend. he was absent for most of my life but now we're living together for the first time since i was 3 and we get into deep conversations which is something i wanted to do when i was younger.

I remember you from forever ago (Joined around the end of 2005).  I quit yugioh 4 years ago and started playing magic instead. Since then I haven't been as active on here as i used to be. Although from time to time I'll lurk and post. I recently started a job working IT/Data Entry and live in an apartment by myself. 

43 minutes ago, Schism said:

I remember you from forever ago (Joined around the end of 2005).  I quit yugioh 4 years ago and started playing magic instead. Since then I haven't been as active on here as i used to be. Although from time to time I'll lurk and post. I recently started a job working IT/Data Entry and live in an apartment by myself. 

Whats your old username?

Hows Magic? More intellectual than Yugioh or what?

idr if i was ssj grumpig or hahn back then but hey there buddy

im 26 and unemployed

22 minutes ago, LollerskatesGhost said:

Whats your old username?

Hows Magic? More intellectual than Yugioh or what?

Oh god I've been through so many of them but I think one of my more known usernames is r2thet. Most people just know me as Rory though. 

As for Magic I would say the community in general is more intellectual than yugioh (i.e. less weebs/gangbangers). 

MTG community is awful, it's just awful in different ways than the ygo community is awful.

2 minutes ago, ACP said:

MTG community is awful, it's just awful in different ways than the ygo community is awful.

I agree with you to an extent. I can't stand the stereotypical smelly neckbeard normie EDH players. But i'd rather deal with them than the wankster wannabe but not really yugioh baller who wears supreme clothing bought with mom and dads credit card.

The MTG community also has way too many SJWs. I mean the fact that there was a legitimate movement to get the card art of Triumph of Ferocity changed because it supposedly depicted rape is exactly what I'm talking about. A lot of these people exemplify everything that I hate about my generation.

3 minutes ago, ACP said:

The MTG community also has way too many SJWs. I mean the fact that there was a legitimate movement to get the card art of Triumph of Ferocity changed because it supposedly depicted rape is exactly what I'm talking about. A lot of these people exemplify everything that I hate about my generation.

Yeah I hate those fuckers too.

Hey not sure if you remember me but I remember you. I have a job teaching middle school/6th grade in a highly impoverished area in Florida. I met the girl of my dreams during my internship and I work with her in the same school. Now we're married with a dog. 

I've gotten better at teaching but the first year was tough. Anyone who teaches especially at middle school level probably knows that the main tough part about it is behavior. I've gotten better at diffusing bad behavior but basically kids in these areas do poorly because it's hard to get 2-3 kids who are consistently disruptive and assholes out of your class or under control.

I work in a sales position for a bank that's been all over the news for bad sales practices and wasted my time trying to get a promotion that was premade for someone else. Now I'm trying to work 2 jobs to afford a nicer place that won't crap out and lose all power/heat when all 3 tenants try to turn it on at the same time.

Girlfriend's good though.