LoveofWisdom

Top 10 Most Complex Card Games

LoveofWisdom    19

1. Bridge

Bridge is very complex and in tournaments you can easily rely on skill giving you a 90 percent win rate. The only downside In my opinion is that it is a partnership game, but that can be a plus if your married. It takes a year before you can beat average players. You can pay professionals to be your partner in tournaments so you don't really have to worry about being stuck with novice players.

2. Magic the Gathering

Magic is a deep game. I checked out a list of the most consistent players and they have players who won 7 Grand Prix tournaments which can have thousands of participants. 

3. Poker ( Texas Holdem)

Poker is very high skill but very high luck. There are some situations that are extremely complex, however it takes a high sample size of hands to get to those situations, so it can be hard to get some action. Poker has had successful tournament players but now the players are very skilled so the edges are small. Multi tabling online may be the best way to see if your a good player or not.

4. Yugioh

I believe Yugioh to also be a deep game. The game has many consistent players and even players with multiple YCS wins. I believe if the game had high buy ins like poker and cash prizes then the game would be profitable in the right format, (at least Until most of the player base gets really good). i think the best players can reliably make the top 10 percent of a tournament. 

5. Gin Rummy

Gin rummy is probably the most skillful standard card deck game for 2 players. In this Game skill will help you have a 67 percent win rate but with Elite memory  you can have about an 80 percent win rate.

6. Euchre

Similar to bridge but you can only win 2/3 of the time with skill.

7. Cribbage

Great game for 2 players with a standard deck

8. Canasta

9. Pokemon

10. Hearthstone

Can get more harder with more cards and mechanics

Overall Play what best for you and don't be too quick to jump to another game because in all the games listed i have noticed that players always have stuff to complain about. some are never satisfied so stick by your game regardless of the flaws

• Downvote 2

+ACP+    34066

>No explanation of how complexity of a game can even be measured

>Throws out random win rate statistics with no basis to support them

Ok, I guess.

• Upvote 8

Blacklisted    1334

I feel as if the only way someone can make a tier list thats anywhere near accurate is if they've reached like grandmaster level in each game

• Upvote 1

ThatOneGuy    2019
47 minutes ago, ACP said:

>No explanation of how complexity of a game can even be measured

>Throws out random win rate statistics with no basis to support them

Ok, I guess.

Yeah, this thread was a huge letdown. Would you mind taking the reigns?

+Mascis    4385

ok real list:

10. Naruto TCG

9. Inuyasha TCG

8. Bleach TCG

7. Magi Nation

6. Original Duel Masters

5. Yu-gi-oh until Dragon Rulers

4. VS. System

3. MTG

2. Poker

1. Bridge

• Upvote 1

+rei+    35452

euchre is the best duelist

+mmf    23263

netrunner sucks, wizwar master race

i dont expect any of you turds to understand it or even take the time to play it but if it had the support of mtg or ygo it would be the best competitive card game and it wouldn't even be remotely close

• Upvote 1

+Digbick    7376

go fish is the most complex game, fuck off op

• Upvote 1

+mark    3096

I expected this to be 'what are the 10 most complex card games?' with people arguing why yugioh was highest or lowest because of X reasons followed by comparisons of yugioh vs magic and why the playerbases do or do not suck 

• Upvote 1

Blacklisted    1334
9 hours ago, LollerskatesGhost said:

All wrong answers.  It's all about 52 card pickup.

Im actually convinced that if I started playing 52 card pick up one year earlier, I'd be world champion at it

Me.    1348
10 hours ago, RZR_DigbickThePickleMan said:

go fish is the most complex game, fuck off op

I think dgz should start up warring again, but with online go fish instead of yu-gi-oh.

• Upvote 3

petqwe    288

Facts about bridge:

1. Bridge is not that complex. Plays have been almost fully discovered since computers become so common. The newest "Bridge play" was Chaga's intra-finesse in the 80s. More than 30 years ago. The bidding... well it is mainly because most people tend to memorize things that should not be memorized.

2. 90% win rate is not easy to achieve unless you are world class, even if you are playing in sessions of IMP teams of 16 boards.

3. One year is not enough to beat average players, heck I doubt whether 10 years will be enough.

4. Playing with a Pro does not move you away from the Novice sone. Playing MORE does.

• Upvote 3

Jazz    4764

Do you mean complexity of decision making or complexity of game mechanics? Important distinction. Ex. Goat Format has simple game mechanics but complex decision making.

Win-rate is a measurement of a player's average outcome, which reflects a combination of inherent variance due to luck plus decision making abilities and experience. That's probably not the best metric to use to discuss complexity. You can have a complex game with inherently high variance in outcomes due to luck, such as Poker, or certain formats of Yugioh I suppose.

IRLAlex    117

Uno (or Switch as its called when played with standard playing cards) is actually a pretty good game as far as strategy goes. Nothing quite those turns will you manage to vomit multiple cards at once and the constant push pull of "the closer you get to victory, the less options you have".