Azzaw    64

I know this has probably been overdone a lot, but this week has been really hard and writing about this is kind of cooling the edge. I was fine last week up until Friday where I felt a weird feeling in my lower right jaw. I looked in the mirror and before you know it, I see my wisdom tooth creeping out in the corner. I instantly start stressing pretty hard since this is such a busy time (work, uni, and internship) and my head starts feeling weird (I'm guessing its due to because wisdom tooth creeping out, and stress and anxiety just made it worse. It's not really pain but just weirdness, I felt like I was having an out of body experience and kind of like drunk but I'm able to walk fine, and talk normally). So I rough it out Saturday and Sunday and I already had an appointment scheduled at the school health clinic on Monday for sinuses. So I go there, and the lady prescribed me an inhaler and a steroid nasal spray. I also called the dentist and have an appointment this upcoming Tuesday. I go home, and before I go to sleep I use the nasal spray and holy shit it made me feel pretty damn high. I slept pretty ok that night but I felt really on edge the next day and my anxiety has drastically increased. Moving around and talking to people helped so I went through the school day pretty fine, just worried about the shitty feeling in my head. Then I was feeling really good before bed so I decide to use the nasal spray again and I just lost it that night. My mind wouldnt stop running I was super anxious about what was going on with me, everything felt watery and I was breaking sweats everywhere. The whole next day at school I was on edge all day, I was feeling really unfocused and kind of dizzy, the feeling in my head didn't help, so I went back to the health clinic to see whats up. The lady that attended me on Monday told me stop using the nasal spray since I probably had a terrible reaction to it and gave me a neti pot. She also recommended I talk to a school therapist the next day. I go home, did some yoga and drank some sleepytime tea to kind of help relax me before bed, and it worked but I had to be up early tomorrow so I probably didn't get the sleep I wanted. So we get to yesterday where I was pretty ok all day up until night time where I felt my body sort of went into some shock-like mode (probably because adrenaline and anxiety has been in my system all week and its finally cooling down, but I'm not sure). So I worried about getting anxious which in hindsight is counterproductive since it made me anxious. I sleep for 5 hours and wake up at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. There are moments where I feel ok but the uneasiness creeps back up. Its mainly when I'm still and not moving around, I noticed that walking to the bus stop I felt ok and just walking outside and talking to people make me feel better. So I'm kind of worried about going home and just tripping out hard because of my anxiety. The pressure in my head (not really pain, but my forehead and top of my head feel weird and kind of tight) isn't helping and I'm almost sure that is what has got me really anxious. Does anyone know any good "calming down" techniques or has experience anything similar to what I'm feeling right now? I won't be able to see a dentist until Tuesday, and I'm sure my sinuses kind flared harder with the nasal spray and is making me feel bad, on top of the anxiety. Thanks to anyone in advance.   

SSJ Grumpig    5620

find out whats causing this from a doctor ASAP cuz it sounds like the uncertainty is what's driving your anxiety through the roof

apart from that just the usual proper breathing techniques (breathe from your diaphragm rather than your chest), adequate rest/nutrition/hydration

• Upvote 6

Jazz    5323

Usually you can get your dentist appointment bumped up if you are in dire pain. Call them again?

• Upvote 2

Me.    58

Don't ask the internet, get professional help.

• Upvote 4

I am not a medical professional by any stretch of the imagination and I am not in any capacity to give medical advice so take this with a grain of salt. I have no idea what medications you are taking or any part of your medical history. Assume I am absolutely incompetent to post the following and if you doubt the words I am about to write you are correct. I am just some guy on the Internet.

NSAIDs double as antidepressants due to a weird interaction between inflammation and depression symptoms. Taking a normal sized dose of those isn't a bad start and may help with any wisdom tooth pain. Not that you're complaining of depression exactly, but it may make you feel better. Aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and naproxen are all similar in function but don't work equally well across all types of pain/discomfort. Naproxen helps my girlfriend with her migraines, above the others I listed above, and may be of some help.

It's good that you've discontinued use of that steroid inhaler in accordance with professional medical advice; I've had friends wig out before on those. Steroids are analogous to testosterone, and interact with neurotransmitters ; your serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine receptors operate in a chemical soup of weird feedback loops and it is very likely that your norepinephrine levels have been messed with by the steroids since testosterone and norepinephrine have documented interactions. Shifting norepinephrine levels will absolutely jack up your anxiety and any sort of change in your brain chemistry can cause altered states of consciousness/lucidity and dissociation temporarily.  It'll take a little while for your brain juices to re-calibrate but you should be fine with time.

You really need to get adequate sleep. Anxiety and lack of sleep go hand in hand.

Breathing techniques, as mentioned by  SSJ Grumpig, can help you control your emotions by focusing your mind.

Be somewhere where you are comfortable or would normally be comfortable.

Inhale slowly while counting to seven. It shouldn't be seven seconds long, but it shouldn't be really fast either. Slow, deep, controlled inhalation. count to seven while you do this.
Hold that breath. Count to seven the same way.
Slowly exhale, counting to seven again. Control the air.
With your lungs mostly empty, count to seven.
Repeat.
Keep going, thinking only of controlling your breath.

You will stop of your own accord when you are ready and should be much calmer after.

• Upvote 2

Azzaw    64

Thanks everyone for your help. I went into the shower and had a huge panic attack so I just said fuck it and went to urgent care. Turned out it isn't necessarily anything serious but just sinusitis and overall anxiety making me feel even more shitty. He said I confused my filling with a wisdom tooth lol which is a huge reliever seeing as I don't have dental insurance covered so I can probably cancel that appointment.  That being said I'm glad one of the worst weeks of my life is probably over. Gonna call off work tomorrow and take a personal day of chilling. 

@Human Tetherball you were spot on with the nasal spray description. I'm really surprised by how strong it was and I've honestly never felt worse than by taking that medicine. 

• Upvote 2