14 ABC

3 Lightsworn

3 BAPK

2 Metalfoe

2 Mermail

1 Blue-Eyes

1 Odd-Eyes Magician

1 Burning Abyss

5 "Other" (why they arbitrarily identified 3 one-ofs and not these idk)

Kinda sucks that this YCS is happening in an isolated format (not that INOV changes much outside of bolstering the already-top-tier Metalfoe deck) but still worth talking about.

Glad to see Mermails in the mix, seems like a reasonable pick as a deck that can easily pull together enough threats to bait out ABC's Buster effect/backrow and then follow up with another power play.

So BA won. 

Finals was BA vs. Lightsworn

Top 4 was 2 Lightsworn, 1 BA, 1 ABC

Don't know before that, as that's when I started watching the stream.

Deck breakdown:

XA3DaNj.jpg?1

fun fact: out of 14 Lightsworn decks that entered, 14 made it to day 2

I don't know anything about ygo, but that's insane that out of the 14 lightsworn decks, 14 made day2, 3 made top cut, and 1 made finals. That kind of conversion rate is virtually unprecedented. 

all hail lumina the lightsworn summoner. may she guide us to the holy land

27 minutes ago, ACP said:

I don't know anything about ygo, but that's insane that out of the 14 lightsworn decks, 14 made day2, 3 made top cut, and 1 made finals. That kind of conversion rate is virtually unprecedented. 

It's mostly because in order to play Lightsworn you need Minerva, who was a prize card, so you're either good enough at this game to have top 4'd a previous premiere event or you're at least serious enough about it to invest $1,000+ into a single card. 

Yeah variance is a thing but I have to imagine that everyone playing Lightsworn is at least good enough to make day 2 regardless of what deck they were using, the real surprise imo is that so many people with access to Minerva ALSO believed that it was the correct choice of deck to play in this format - it's such a common conception that the best players will choose to play the most consistent decks, which atm would be BAPK, Metalfoe, and ABC. Lightsworn has arguably far stronger plays than the former two (to about the same extent as Mermails imo) but you're running a lot of terrible cards to be able to make those plays (a typical list includes 3 Wulf, 2 Felis, 2 Trick Clown, and 1-2 Garnet)

Don't forget the deck now has Fairy Tail Snow who gives you even more Rank 4 access for free, who can BoM on the opponent's turn as well.

The cards might not end up that terrible because Minerva is generic so you see people playing Goblinbergh and Galaxy Soldier to make bad hands good.

----------

The deck pretty much builds itself.

You can play Pot of Desires (Felis is a LV 4 Tuner for Omega to bring stuff back), Charge, and Recharge in the same deck. Upstart, ROTA and Foolish give you more consistency.

Throw in Instant Fusion for Norden, Brilliant Fusion, Soul Charge, and you have a lot of power plays.

You can still play Photon Thrasher for Kirin, and so on.

-----------

And going second is a lot easier now because you have Kaiju + Slumber, Twin Twisters, Denko Sekka, and so on.

And you can side ASF and make Stardust to protect it.

---

Edit: Don't forget Ties of the Brethren as well.

There's also a combo with Amaterasu reviving Norden.

I think for the sheer amount of ABC players in the event that only 14 made it to top cut is shocking

I'd guess that a lot of the ABC decks being played were closer to "3 structure decks and all the rank 4's I already owned" 'budget' decks rather than actual competitive builds, young/uninvested players always get excited about tier 1 decks coming in a box without considering the $300 worth of staples a proper build plays.

I think the real underperformer is Blue-Eyes, everyone knew it was getting power-crept out of contention but going from being the most represented deck in the top cut for the last month and a half to just 1 is really steep

think people are also still getting their gadget and thrasher numbers right, we probably cant play the full 9 here like they do in ocg, not sure on that yet tho

1 hour ago, Blacklisted said:

I think for the sheer amount of ABC players in the event that only 14 made it to top cut is shocking

Not really, ABC performed rather well. It made up 284/837 = 33.9% of the tournament, and took up 43.8% of the top cut, so it did better than you'd expect by chance. In fact, ABC had the biggest difference between initial representation and top cut representation (Lightsworn went from 1.7% to 9.4%, BAPK went from 4.1% to 9.4%, and Metalfoe went from 5.9% to 6.3%). Still, you have a point in that only 5% of the ABC players topped, while 9% of the BAPK players topped, and a staggering 21% of the Lightsworn players topped (and 4% of the Metalfoe players topped). 

One of those 'other' decks was me with dark synchro. Serious dark horse in the format, no bad matchups.

good job. I, too, think it's one of the best decks right now (if not the best). How did you finish?

8-2 and then was swiftly 2-0'd in top 32 by anti spell. My only losses were because of anti spell and emptiness. Played 8 ABC, 2 Majespecter and 1 BA

59 minutes ago, DarthChocoboz said:

One of those 'other' decks was me with dark synchro. Serious dark horse in the format, no bad matchups.

You literally bodied me with Soul Charge :(

1 minute ago, Daybreaker said:

You literally bodied me with Soul Charge :(

what round did we play each other man? You playing BA?

The guy that got cheated by the CCG guy, I did not have a good day lol. I thnk we played last round of day 1.

1 hour ago, DarthChocoboz said:

if u saw the deck profile the guy playing seemed to really know what he was doing too. especially with his sidedeck. it did very well in the ocg with just 1 arma and no norden, getting as many tops as full powered d/d/d and other combo decks like that, so its def good but its just lacking players to play it (i love combo decks and loops but even i wont play it just cuz it goes in too many different directions based on the draws and i rather do a combo that is straightforward from start to finish).

4 hours ago, buckwheatloaf said:

if u saw the deck profile the guy playing seemed to really know what he was doing too. especially with his sidedeck. it did very well in the ocg with just 1 arma and no norden, getting as many tops as full powered d/d/d and other combo decks like that, so its def good but its just lacking players to play it (i love combo decks and loops but even i wont play it just cuz it goes in too many different directions based on the draws and i rather do a combo that is straightforward from start to finish).

the trouble is dow this way you have all these decks there but not like, properly built, so I would like more down this way as there are at least 2 guys with some of the stuff there, the other is Accel synchro junkdoppel quasar build, jets quillbolts etc

6 hours ago, DarthChocoboz said:

do you have a decklist?

Yeah doing a deck profile is actually so awkward haha