Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

video game reccomendations

Aaron    2027

hey guys, kinda short on video games to play. i have a shit load but can't really pick one.  I want a nice short game I can get addicted to but finish comfortably.  a few games I've enjoyed:

uncharted 2

bioshock infinite

legend of heroes trails in the sky

bloodborne

dark souls 

last of us

chrono trigger

fire emblem fates  + awakening

zelda wind waker

ni no kuni 

ffx 

tr reboot

I feel like I'm missing some surefire instant classics as I have huge gaps in my gaming knowledge since i got into it quite late. 

I really do want an epic story if possible or one where you really invest and customise and see benefit managing a team (aka fire emblem). would XCOM be a good shout? 

games im considering include half life 2 (dont wanna play HL1, graphics just too outdated atm), witcher 2 (tried to play witcher 1, couldnt get into it due to very dated and boring clicking combat)...

+Mascis    4554

play metal gear solid

then metal gear solid 2

then metal gear solid 4

then metal gear solid 3

then metal gear solid: peace walker

then metal gear solid: ground zeroes

then metal gear solid v: the phantom pain

then metal gear

then metal gear 2

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Half-Life > 2. You're gonna have to get over that there graphics bias if you want to play anything good made before [arbitrary year]. Doom 3 is a lot like HL so you could substitute that for it.

Since you have a PS4 ,the Odin Sphere remake is good, it's a side-scrolling action-RPG where you play as a valkyrie. Has similar artstyle to Dragon's Crown. Pretty much anything Atlus publishes is worthwhile, which reminds me: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is a great JRPG for the PS2 that has a neat setting in post-apocalyptic Japan, with Pokemon-like team options consisting of demons you can recruit and fuse.

The Resident Evil Remake is on PSPlus this month and is a must-play for the survival horror genre, unless that's not your thing.
Transformers: Devastation is also on PSPlus and is like an easier Bayonetta (character-action genre, aka crazy person flying through air hitting the fuck out of enemies that can wreck you if you don't wombocombo them.) made by Platinum Games.

So you can try those genres "for free" if you're already subscribed.

Wind Waker was the best 3D Zelda, so you're pretty much done with that series for awhile. I've heard Darksiders is like Zelda but edgier, so if you like that kind of gameplay check that out.

If you want addictive gameplay I can recommend rogue-likes like Risk of Rain and Binding of Isaac.

Have you played Fallout 3 or New Vegas? "Oblivion-with-guns" > actual Elder Scrolls games not named Morrowind.

Resident Evil 4 is one of the best third-person action games ever made and is available on almost anything you can put a disc in, you should definitely play it if you haven't already. Dead Space is similar and also good.

I can second the Metal Gear Solid series, as the games themselves are rather short, the plots are cool/insane/stupid all at once, and there are tons of ways to approach most situations. I think MGS 3 is the best overall. You'll either love them or hate them. Peace Walker and V let you capture and recruit soldiers while building up your base, so there's stuff to do there. Another Hideo Kojima game, Zone of the Enders 2, is a mecha combat game that plays more like the character-action genre and if that suits your tastes is a must-play.

Have you ever played a Metroid game? Super Metroid is one of the best games ever made (ROMs aren't hard to find) and Metroid Prime is really good. They're exploration-focused action platformers; the former is 2D sidescrolling and the latter is 3D first person perspective. They're light on plot and character, heavy on atmosphere.

• Upvote 2

website is bad    2172

i think youd like xcom. it is very much about squad management but its in a much more manageable length than any fire emblem (which are all real long).

Dank Memeston    1716

I considered Dragon Age Inquisition fairly fun. It is a team based and story focused 3rd person rpg that let's you play on a range from solo with fully functional ai team mates or tactical with you deciding each member's every move. (and you can switch in and out of this mode in combat at any time) The downside is that this may be a long game between 10 and 30 hours in length... it has been a while since I have played it.

In Tony Hawk's Pro skater you go through different levels and flips and shit while listening to a great soundtrack. There are remasters on the pc that supposedly feel off but the roms for all the games are online. My personal favorites are 2 and Underground.

Edit: if you like dark souls a lot then try out dragons dogma. it is more of a blend between dark souls and monster hunter but it leans more towards the souls side. similar ascetic and combat (magic is very different) but you can climb on monsters. very good game.

Thanatos    516

god of war is quick and fun

im playing the legacy of kain series and its got a -long- cool story, but the gameplay sucks so bad

dead space trilogy is my fav from the ps3 gen

as far as team development goes, golden sun kinda has that

+rei+    34654

Half Life 2 for sure, it's an easy game to pick up and enjoy - id say it might be the most satisfying fps experience ever

HL 1 is a more thinking experience... but check out black mesa its an HL2 engine port of it so better graphics

I Am Setsuna has a Chrono Trigger style engine with modern gfx

the 2013 Tomb Raider was very good, I havent played rise yet, but if you like Uncharted you'll like it

Earthbound

Final Fantasy VI 

You've played Portal right?

FFX Remaster might be up your ally, it's not the best ff game but it's really good, the remaster looks good, and i love the combat system so much

6 hours ago, rei said:

FFX Remaster might be up your ally, it's not the best ff game but it's really good, the remaster looks good, and i love the combat system so much

^This. Grinding is actually fun in that game. I kind of hoped the FF7Remake would have X's amazing battle system but I'm down for the action-RPG interpretation.

+rei+    34654

yeah imo second best combat in the series, best combat was 5 because job system and it really rewarded people who took the time to break the game in ff3 and 4 

Aaron    2027
13 hours ago, rei said:

Half Life 2 for sure, it's an easy game to pick up and enjoy - id say it might be the most satisfying fps experience ever

HL 1 is a more thinking experience... but check out black mesa its an HL2 engine port of it so better graphics

I Am Setsuna has a Chrono Trigger style engine with modern gfx

the 2013 Tomb Raider was very good, I havent played rise yet, but if you like Uncharted you'll like it

Earthbound

Final Fantasy VI 

You've played Portal right?

Can I play HL2 before HL1 tho? 

I've played tomb raider 2013. I loved it. I thought it was basically a better version of uncharted (trades in story for better more versatile gameplay with a more nimble character) 

FFX I've played, liked it. liked it too. 

+rei+    34654

Honestly yeah you can play HL2 before HL1 for sure

Aaron    2027

Just completed Portal. That last chapter/half the game was so fun. 

Excellent title, can only imagine Portal 2 is even better. 

Started playing the Walking Dead, completed episode 1. Thought it was good but the gameplay is a bit meh. I was using a controller so might switch to mouse+kb, just felt so slow. 

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34654

Portal 2 is a lot longer which is both good and bad - how short portal 1 is keeps it feeling fresh and fast paced and the added length of portal 2 can make it feel slower. That said it adds an amazing new character (Cave Johnson, played by Acadamy Award Winner J K Simmons), good characterization, some fun new mechanics that aren't too overdone, and is def still solid af 

+Urthor    10221

Portal 2 kinda stopped being a puzzle game and started being more of an adventure game with a story and pacing that crowed out the puzzles. 

The level packs and the co-op is pure class though, that angle is absolutely perfect. 

TonySK    618

Castlevania 

Castlevania 3

Super Castlevania IV

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

roms are plentiful for the first three and they aren't particularly expensive to find online if you wanted to buy them. Rondo of Blood got a rerelease that can be downloaded on the PSN for vita and psp. The remake is in 2.5D but it also includes the original and Symphony of the Night. 

I chose these 4 games over the other games in the series because you said you were looking for something short. These games fit the bill as they're only a few levels long but they make up for it with monstrous difficulty. 

Nelrick    2392

If you are into TBT or SRPG like Fire emblem then i suggest you play the earlier ones.

Fire Emblem

Sacred Stones

Path of Radiance 

Radiant Dawn

Shadow Dragon

They all have different things to offer such as SD complete reclass system, or the different teams to command in RD. I believe they fit the bill for customization and team management.

Some have waifus but not children.

Then if you want to get into more difficult games with the same system. 

Final Fantasy Tactics has a kickass story.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and A2 have meh stories but god tier customization. Great world exploration. and they are pretty long.