• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IRLAlex

Epic Card Game (2015)

5 posts in this topic

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175621/epic-card-game

http://www.epiccardgame.com/rules/ (Read both the rulebook and the complete epic rules. There are some inconsistencies in the rulebook).

Based on the game of the same name 10 years ago. Now revitalized between the guy who designed it with others who've worked on the now critically acclaimed Star Realms deckbuilder.

To summarize (and this is far from perfect).

Think MTG (Approx). With only two card types (Champions and Events). All card's cost 1 Gold or 0 Silver. You get one gold during each player's turn, if you don't use it, you lose it.

There is no chain. Instead there are specific event timing windows during battle and during end of the turn where you can play something during your opponent's turn. With this cards active and resolve before another card is played. So instead of packing effect protection, you could pack revival/recursion instead.

Event based individual (as oppossed to whole field) removal itself is based on varying levels of card quality rather than straight up removal so it depends on the situation.

bitten.jpgtransform.jpgchomp.jpg  

Unlike many other games where cards are balanced against a system (land, mana etc), cards in Epic are balanced directly against each other.

For example:

hurricane.jpgraging_t_rex.jpg

The 10 Defense on Raging T-Rex is *just enough* to miss the 9 Damage from Hurricane's primary effect. Most Airborne (Flying) Champions have 9 or less Defense so they're vunerable to Hurricane. (I've actually been meaning to work out a small project figuring out all these direct balancing cards to create a like web-chart of balance. I do know different factions get bonuses/deficits on certain skills)

With only two card types, Champions double up for your enchantment-esque cards.

high_king.jpgnecromancer_lord.jpg

Useless as Monsters 99% of the time, great for their effects.

On top of all this, Epic is an Expandable Card Game. So they're released in non-randomnized sets. Currently two sets are released with the third coming this month, Epic is having its first worlds this year too with a 100,000 cash prize and I think everyone participating is walking away with at least 500 dollars? It also seems Worlds will have two different draft portions and a constructed portion. I'm not too sure on that.

Sets

Core Set - 120 Unique Cards. 30 Cards Per faction. Comes with 8 double-sided tokens (zombie, wolf, human, demon). $15~. Buy three of this for a playset of everything around $45~. If you'd like casual draft up to 4 players, one set is enough.

Tyrants Expansion - 4 Different sets of about 12 cards per set. They cost around $5 each. So 3x5x4 = $60. I won't lie, it is a bit on the expensive side but this is how they make their margin. 

Uprising - Out this month I believe. Same as above. Includes Kark who is an alt win-con (if your life is double starting when you play it, you win).

----------------------------

All in all, it's a pretty decent game. Perfect for anyone burned out on TCGs since it is a similair experience. It can appeal to casual (because there is no resource system ramping up, everything starts at like mid-game or later level of power) and the competitive gamer (this game is all about oppurtunity cost and there's a large bluffing element to forcing other people to play their gold first during a turn to shut off their powerful removal later on in the turn since they have no gold to cast any more cards with). Due to the size of the creatures, many have described this game as "playing something like Magic but starting at mid-game".

You can play it on a Cockatrice Module. There's also a Mod for it on Tabletop Simulator.

From my limited view it looks like it has serious problems with card homogeneity and graphic design.

The resource system is also very questionable, though I'm sure it's balanced appropriately.

9 hours ago, Gojira said:

From my limited view it looks like it has serious problems with card homogeneity and graphic design.

The resource system is also very questionable, though I'm sure it's balanced appropriately.

Graphic design is admittedly bland but it is functional. As far as homogeneity, I think it's doing well what with little has been released so far. Every faction does have an obvious identity to say the least.

As for the resource system, fair to be wary of but I feel it is a rather fresh change from mana-esque systems (which are, if nothing else, really played out). I'd say most of the cards are balanced (with the exception of the new alt-win card Kark in constructed).

So this game has been brought to my attention again, since apparently they're building their own online client. That could be huge for the game's success if done well. 

I saw that they invited a number of prominent Magic players to their Worlds event to push the "convert" idea. The dark draft idea mixed with constructed is actually really cool.

Kark seems a little OP, has it become a problem?