Sign in to follow this  
Silver

The Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread (Pre-World War III)

Jazz    5022

The thing I admire about Golden State is they managed their team incredibly well. You can't blame them for signing KD. You can however blame the league for allowing it to be possible.

• Upvote 1

Jazz    5022

Mascis are you a sixers fan?

Mascis    4468
2 hours ago, Jazz said:

Mascis are you a sixers fan?

Yes. My favorite teams are the Sixers and the Knicks because I love always being angry 

• Upvote 1

Silver    967
14 hours ago, iSlickz said:

KD is the biggest HOE in the NBA. He joined a 73-9 all time great team that he had a 3-1 lead against in the ECF. He could have won with OKC but chose the easy way. GS didn't need him. Sure he's a champion, but many will never respect him or that decision. 

Tired of people comparing it to Lebron and the Heat. It would have been like Lebron joining the Celtics. The heat fucking sucked the year before, Lebron himself joined with Bosh and they MADE that team. 

Uhm no.

Yes, I agree that Durant joined an already championship calibur team but the fact remains is that it was fair at the time since the Cavs had just won the championship and had the best player on the planet in Lebron, K-Love, and Kyrie, and above average role players in JR, Shump, Delly, and Channing Frye, compared to the homegrown talent of Draymond, Curry, Klay, and Barnes, all drafted while the Cavs had literally gotten all those players from the past 2 years via trades (except Delly and Kyrie). 

I think it is fair for Durant to join that team because they had so much home grown talent and is allowed to join a team that will have championship asperations, the same as Lebron with the Heat. Does not matter what they did the year before, all that mattered was the potential of the team, as for both Lebron and Durants teams, had a chance to win a championship.

So yes comparing them is correct, because the potential of both teams was the same, winning multiple championships, but of course, Durant gets hate because Lebron lost to the superior team that was built correctly and GM Lebron was bad for trading Wiggins and the pick for K-Love. 

• Upvote 1

Silver    967

Phil trying to destroy the knicks. He's gunna draft some random from France lel

Silver    967

i think it was the most fair trade they could have gotten

although, idk why they drafted Lauri Markanen, he seems like a Rick Smits 2.0 when Malik Monk and Dennis Smith were still on the board.

Malik Monk/Dennis Smith, Kris Dunn and Levine off the bench could have been above average in like 2-3 years

• Upvote 1

confuse ray    4215

I wonder what Boston offered them. I think they could have done way better than what they did 

lol@d wade

Silver    967

d-wade is in full sandbag mode until the deadline where you can buyout players and his buddy lebron will pick him up

The bulls got fucking raped, I can't believe they wanted to get rid of Butler that bad

Disagree. I actually think they won that trade. Butler wasnt staying in Chicago and they got a good young backcourt in lavine and dunn and then a draft pick they coveted. 

I think you're overestimating the market for Butler. 

I wonder what Boston offered them. I think they could have done way better than what they did 

lol@d wade

Boston refused to offer #3 or the bklyn pick next year so it couldnt have been much. Probably like Jae Crowder and a lottery pick. 

1 hour ago, iSlickz said:

So Houston gets Chris Paul and OKC gets Paul George, both potential 1 year rentals

I think both teams are okay with this honestly. No point in keeping a team together with warriors and cavs around for the next 3-5. Also one of the assets given up were anything special

• Upvote 1

Silver    967
On 6/23/2017 at 0:07 PM, Francis J Underwood said:

Boston refused to offer #3 or the bklyn pick next year so it couldnt have been much. Probably like Jae Crowder and a lottery pick. 

I think the contract was nice for what it was. only 2 year commitment so that is enough to build a championship culture around the team already ascending and just below needed incase Butler gets hurt or does not feel like he wants to stay.

Although, Wiggins has been seriously underwelming so I hope he steps up.

Silver    967
2 minutes ago, Francis J Underwood said:

I think both teams are okay with this honestly. No point in keeping a team together with warriors and cavs around for the next 3-5. Also one of the assets given up were anything special

Yeah unless Sabonis turns into his dad or into a Draymond Green 2.0, basically a above average player + a solid lower tier starter for a potential team that with the right attitude can get to the western conference finals lowkey and maybe convince Paul George to stay for 3-4 years longer

Silver    967

So I had nowhere to post this but I have an idea for the NBA to how to fix the rest issue and fix the tanking issue that has both been a problem that past few years. 

So this topic has been brought up about how NBA player do not have enough rest throughout the NBA season. The topic about tanking has also been brought up as a deterent for people wanting to go to games. Now the NBA strives on using the playoffs as its main rhetoric to hype up superstars. NBA players and media use the playoffs as a measuring stick to how good you are like rings and how many finals you made. So what if there was a way to solve both problems ?

I do agree that, according to studies, playing more games in a any sport has had a large correlation to injuries in the future. It is one of the few things however than can be fixed. I think the best way to fix this is to the lower the game count per season. Now the owners will have a problem with this because obviously they lose money by having less games. In my plan, I would cut the NBA season to 60 games. Now potentially, that 330 games cut altogether and on average, each games makes around 300,000 with tickets, TV, and other miscellanous services. That's a huge chunk of change. Now with that however, I feel injuries aside, every player will have enough days to rest to play every game of the 60 game season. No more LeBron rest's on back to backs o Pop resting his entire starting line-up. But now, NBA owners are wondering, how can you make-up the other 330 games?

So potentially, my solution would be to have a after season tournament for the top pick in the draft. Many small market NBA owners have a problem with keeping the young talent they draft. One example is Paul George, who was just traded from the Pacers to the Thunder and potentiily leaving them for the Lakers in 2018. The Pacer's history is a good example of a small market team that over the course of their past 28 years not having the pick above 7 but staying competitive with the picks they made meanwhile the Cavs having the 1st overall pick 3 times in a 5 year span and being one of the worst teams on gods green earth and that helped contribute to the return of LeBron in 2014 (not suspicious at all). As a small market team, I would be pissed off I saw this fascade happen and I would boycott the league for tampering the lottery. But in any case, I think that small market teams would actually get a boost from this. Now the rough template would be if we added two more teams to the NBA, a playoffs that include the 16 teams that did not make the playoffs go out and play in best of 7s like the playoffs right now. Not sure if they should happen during the regular NBA playoffs or after (leaning toward after for commericial purposes) . The winner of the entire of the draft playoffs would get the number one overrall pick up to the 16 pick. Although this may seem unfair at first because teams potentially being better in the west, but making the NBA playoffs top 16 teams of the entire NBA would help solve this also but for now, I am not counting on it. So for example, if the draft playoffs were to be implented last year (barring the change to a best 16 playoff teams), this would be the seating:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/bracket_generator?ref=dBzfHdqiKg

At the end, I would predict that the Heat would actually win the entire thing beating Denver with Detroit getting 3rd and Lakers getting 4th (playing for the 3/4 pick or a coin toss). Now initially, Miami is a large market team but recently was decimated by there stars leaving the team and were already starting the rebuild. Now for the Heat, potentially having Fultz in this team would to me propell them to the playoffs where they would not be in the nba draft playoffs, which defeats the potential abuse that it could bring. Now for the other teams, it has them be accountable to sign players that could contribute to being in these nba draft playoffs. Small market teams could actually get the talent they want if they actually applied themselves to make thier team better. Denver having the second pick (probably Tatum or Ball) would also propell them in the playoffs. The only downside is that teams that do not do well in these playoffs  will be stuck with a bad pick, but again, it gives the incentive for teams that actually do well in free agency and that develop players, instead of how right now, NBA teams depending on lottery picks. With this tourney, the number of games can potentially be 210.

So basically, cutting the down the number of games in the regular season to 60 would delete any conversation about resting/sandbagging games for the sake of rest and potentially lower injury risk and the games can be replaced by a 16 nba draft playoffs with the bottom 16 of playoffs, which would potentially help the teams that stay somewhat comeptitive throughout the season and the teams that develop players and sign good free agents. 

Silver    967

I was thinking the same thing the more I wrote about this

But at some point, shitty teams might have to sign guy who are not worth there contract but can contribute to the team well enough to do good in the tournament. But thats where player developement,scouting, and a little luck pay off. 

I just don't like the idea right now of shitty teams being rewarded for not running a healthy business. It should not be a shitty team gets the best player incoming for doing not well getting better players. It should be the team that is getting better actuvely getting good players from the d-league and are actively making their players and team better. 

1 hour ago, Silver said:

I was thinking the same thing the more I wrote about this

But at some point, shitty teams might have to sign guy who are not worth there contract but can contribute to the team well enough to do good in the tournament. But thats where player developement,scouting, and a little luck pay off. 

I just don't like the idea right now of shitty teams being rewarded for not running a healthy business. It should not be a shitty team gets the best player incoming for doing not well getting better players. It should be the team that is getting better actuvely getting good players from the d-league and are actively making their players and team better. 

Sjiity markets wil have no way to attract free agents

the lottery is a good system that disincentivizes tanking. Look at the suns as an example. 2nd worst record got fucked by thw lottery.

while pop is a great coach, he isnt exactly working with world beaters for talent. This shows you can win with just decent nba players. You may not be able to against lebron or yhe warriors but everyone is waiting for that era to pass anyway. 

Inb4 spurs have kawhi. Yes they do but the apurs do better against better compwyition than say the heat ir pacers who arguably have more talent. This means the prob is a coaching/motivation issue.

Jazz    5022

Trade him to the spurs. Then we will have 4 super teams in the west. And 0-1 good teams in the east lol