Silver

Paleozoic - Discussion

49 posts in this topic

"Paleozoic", known as "Burgesstoma" (バージェストマ Bājesutoma, 버제스토마 Beojeseutoma) in the OCG, is an archetype of mostly Level 2 WATER Aqua-Type Normal Pseudo-Trap Monsters with 1200 ATK and 0 DEF, introduced as Korean exclusives in Clash of Rebellions.

The archetype's cards are based on animals from the CambrianPeriod, specifically those found in the Burgess Shale Formation, a fossil field in Canadian Rockies of British Columbia, Canada.

The archetype's OCG name, "Burgesstoma", is derived from the Burgess Shale, where the animals the archetype derived its appearance from were found. Its TCG name, "Paleozoic", is derived from the Paleozoic Era, the first geological period of which is the Cambrian Period

Main Deck

Swap Frog

2ir0kwo.png

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by discarding 1 other WATER monster. When this card is Summoned: You can send 1 Level 2 or lower Aqua-Type WATER monster from your Deck or face-up from your field to the Graveyard. Once per turn: You can return 1 monster you control to the hand; you can Normal Summon 1 "Frog" monster during your Main Phase this turn, except "Swap Frog", in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effectonce per turn.)

• It is recommended that it is a 3-of
  • This card can be searched by "Dogu", "Single Purchase", "Temple of the Kings", "Transmodify", "Mimiclay", "Serpentine Princess", "Vampire Dragon", "Dragunity Corsesca", "Mother Grizzly", "Shark Cruiser", "Underworld Egg Clutch", "Dupe Frog" and "Toadally Awesome".
  • It is the engine starter for the deck as it can set-up the graveyard with water monsters mainly ronintoadin, dupe frog, swap frog, or potential techs.
  • Its summoning effect is an inherent summon.
  • Its bounce effect can only be used once per turn.

Dupe Frog

xfRMxHE.png

This card's name becomes "Des Frog" while it is on the field. Monstersyour opponent controls cannot target monsters for attacks, except this one. When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Frog" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand, except "Dupe Frog".

• It is also recommended as a 3-of
  • This card can be searched by "Dogu", "Single Purchase", "Temple of the Kings", "Transmodify", "Mimiclay", "Broken Blocker", "Serpentine Princess", "Vampire Dragon", "Dragunity Corsesca", "Mother Grizzly", "Shark Cruiser", "Underworld Egg Clutch" and "Toadally Awesome".
  • If you have two on board, your opponent cannot target either for attacks, therefore unable to attack at all. 
  • Searches Swap Frog, Ronintoadin
  • If sent as a cost to graveyard, it will miss timing.

Ronintoadin

gmyS9aw.png

This card's name is treated as "Des Frog" while face-up on the field. You can remove from play 1 "Frog" monster in your Graveyard, except "Frog the Jam", to Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. This card cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster.

•  It is a 2-of in most decks
  •  This card can be searched by "Dogu", "Single Purchase", "Temple of the Kings", "Transmodify", "Mimiclay", "Broken Blocker", "Serpentine Princess", "Vampire Dragon", "Dragunity Corsesca", "Mother Grizzly", "Shark Cruiser", "Underworld Egg Clutch" and "Dupe Frog".
  • It's summoning condition is a cost, therefore starts a chain
  • It's ability to not be used a synchro material is also a condition

Maxx "C"

TcQTneo.png

During either player's turn: You can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard; this turn, each time your opponent Special Summons a monster(s), immediately draw 1 card. You can only use 1 "Maxx "C"" per turn.

• This card can be searched by "Temple of the Kings", "Dogu", "Single Purchase", "Transmodify", "Mimiclay", "Serpentine Princess", "Vampire Dragon", "Dragunity Corsesca", "BOXer", "Frontline Observer", "Giant Rat", "Flamvell Poun", "Ninjitsu Art of Transformation", "Naturia Sacred Tree", "Insect Imitation", "Verdant Sanctuary", "Danipon", "Gokipon", "Card of the Soul", "Howling Insect" and "Retaliating "C"".

• It's a level 2 monster that can be used for an xyz summon for this deck

• At best, helps draw into Paleozoic traps and if you have Opabinia, can be activated from hand

• Can only be used once for that turn.

For all the people who do not intend to play the deck but respect it enough as a deck, what are the best sides/strategies for it?

Obviously Twin Twister and Cosmic Cyclone. How good are Denko, Jinzo and Full House?

denko's ok, but gets walled by ronin and dupe so it always needs backup to support it. People are using jinzo? Full House I imagine would be good, but could perhaps be played around seeing as most of their traps are chainable. Mal cat seems decent too, but I don't see them attacking often unless its by a toadally awesome. 

For the mirror, Mega mobius could be really decent I think, frogs make it easier to summon too. 

You can also side Royal Prison, Cosmic Cyclone (being able to chain it is super good), D.D. Crow (card is esp good because you can chain to an opponent's trap card and remove Ronintoadin) Flying "C", and Gendo. 

What I'm having more trouble with is side decking for the mirror. I've found that the mirror boils down to either making Toad before your opponent, or filling your graveyard up with Paleos before your opponent. I've even considered trying Psychic Shockwave to speed up the trap dumping and to shut my opponent out. The problem is that Jinzo alone is a very slow clock if your opponent has Frogs. 

A cute card I've been toying around with in the Graydle Slime Jr. variant is Bubble Bringer. It has a pretty decent stalling effect against decks like Metalfoes and it's a trap that can be activated at any time. The second effect opens up some nutty comeback plays, allowing you to ideally bring out 3 aquas without using your normal summon; it's also pretty easily fueled by Swap Frog/Toadally Awesome. 

16 minutes ago, Candela said:

You can also side Royal Prison, Cosmic Cyclone (being able to chain it is super good), D.D. Crow (card is esp good because you can chain to an opponent's trap card and remove Ronintoadin) Flying "C", and Gendo. 

What I'm having more trouble with is side decking for the mirror. I've found that the mirror boils down to either making Toad before your opponent, or filling your graveyard up with Paleos before your opponent. I've even considered trying Psychic Shockwave to speed up the trap dumping and to shut my opponent out. The problem is that Jinzo alone is a very slow clock if your opponent has Frogs. 

A cute card I've been toying around with in the Graydle Slime Jr. variant is Bubble Bringer. It has a pretty decent stalling effect against decks like Metalfoes and it's a trap that can be activated at any time. The second effect opens up some nutty comeback plays, allowing you to ideally bring out 3 aquas without using your normal summon; it's also pretty easily fueled by Swap Frog/Toadally Awesome. 

Bubble Bringer seems fairly viable, might be good at 1-2 copies.

On 2016-11-29 at 1:30 AM, dexer008 said:

denko's ok, but gets walled by ronin and dupe so it always needs backup to support it. People are using jinzo? Full House I imagine would be good, but could perhaps be played around seeing as most of their traps are chainable. Mal cat seems decent too, but I don't see them attacking often unless its by a toadally awesome. 

For the mirror, Mega mobius could be really decent I think, frogs make it easier to summon too. 

Denko is nuts as long as you have any other type of summoning layer outside of the normal summon.

I said that, literally in the same sentence. Trying to stall with denko for example is a bad idea if you draw it and hardly anything else. It's great in metalfoes for example, but in a deck like abc maybe not so much unless you already have field presence. 

It's not really that great in Metalfoes. It doesnt deal with sided Anti-Spells, and it doesnt allow you to use any of your scale effects. You are basically putting your money on Volflame Beatdown.

^True, like this deck needs multiple sides against it, which to me what makes it so annoying to deal with. You can't use something like mst half the time to deal with anti-spell, because toad is a bitch to deal with and will steal it against you. Trying to beat over the toad gets met with a bunch of traps. Drew the Kaiju? Great, still 4-5 traps to deal with. You need a combination of luck/ side cards to basically cover all the branches the deck can spread across. Jinzo for example is good against anti-spell where denko is not. But you'd still need your pendulum scale to summon it half the time. And 3 on theme mst and toads makes even that a feat to accomplish.

I'm probably hyping the deck too much, but lately I've been losing to it left, right and center to it. 

28 minutes ago, dexer008 said:

^True, like this deck needs multiple sides against it, which to me what makes it so annoying to deal with. You can't use something like mst half the time to deal with anti-spell, because toad is a bitch to deal with and will steal it against you. Trying to beat over the toad gets met with a bunch of traps. Drew the Kaiju? Great, still 4-5 traps to deal with. You need a combination of luck/ side cards to basically cover all the branches the deck can spread across. Jinzo for example is good against anti-spell where denko is not. But you'd still need your pendulum scale to summon it half the time. And 3 on theme mst and toads makes even that a feat to accomplish.

I'm probably hyping the deck too much, but lately I've been losing to it left, right and center to it. 

tbh the way I learned that my opponents were beating me is either making the broken boards going 1st that metalfoe or heroes make or just with counter traps.

so pretty much beat the deck with traps or floodgate monsters

People shouldn't forget about Chaos Trap Hole to negate the Summon of Jinzo and Denko Sekka.

It also comes in versus LIGHT and DARK decks.

Another card to consider in here is Magic Deflector vs Twister, Cyclone, Hangar, Fullmetalfoes Fusion, Book of Eclipse, SoCL, Brilliant Fusion, etc.

I mean this deck is good because people can even play Marrella + Michief cards to stop ABC, BA, and BEWD from going off. And you can play Breakthrough Skill to negate.

I know this has been discussed to Death already, but I think the answer wasnt unanimous..
Does Chaos Trap Hole negate an entire (Pendulum) summon? or just the Light/Dark monsters among them?

7 minutes ago, Rhongomyniad said:

I know this has been discussed to Death already, but I think the answer wasnt unanimous..
Does Chaos Trap Hole negate an entire (Pendulum) summon? or just the Light/Dark monsters among them?

2nd google result http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Chaos_Trap_Hole

21 hours ago, dexer008 said:

You just side denko and ignore the toad. The probability of them opening toad is the probability that they open swap+another water, which is really low. If they got it, they got it. But most of the time they don't. And it's just not statistically sounds to side in cards specifically for the toad.

9 hours ago, Me. said:

You just side denko and ignore the toad. The probability of them opening toad is the probability that they open swap+another water, which is really low. If they got it, they got it. But most of the time they don't. And it's just not statistically sounds to side in cards specifically for the toad.

How is the probability very low? All you need is a Swap and one of 7-10 other water monsters in the deck. I imagine the probability is at least 40% of opening Toad. 

I've been testing a single Threatening Roar alongside three Waboku and I'm loving it. Battle stopping effects are so absurdly good in this deck. What are your guys' side decks looking like? I'm leaning towards hand traps like Crow and Ogre because of how bad this deck is going second. 

24 minutes ago, Candela said:

How is the probability very low? All you need is a Swap and one of 7-10 other water monsters in the deck. I imagine the probability is at least 40% of opening Toad. 

I've been testing a single Threatening Roar alongside three Waboku and I'm loving it. Battle stopping effects are so absurdly good in this deck. What are your guys' side decks looking like? I'm leaning towards hand traps like Crow and Ogre because of how bad this deck is going second. 

Having Swap alone in your first 5 cards assuming a 40 card deck, and ignoring Desires, is around 34%. In the remaining 4 cards in your hand, one of them has to be a water monster, so typically 7 copies since the first Swap is already accounted for. That is ~56%.

As an approximation, you're around 25% to open Swap + extra water monster to make the turn 1 Toad when you account for Desires. 

15 minutes ago, Bazaar of Baghdad said:

Having Swap alone in your first 5 cards assuming a 40 card deck, and ignoring Desires, is around 34%. In the remaining 4 cards in your hand, one of them has to be a water monster, so typically 7 copies since the first Swap is already accounted for. That is ~56%.

As an approximation, you're around 25% to open Swap + extra water monster to make the turn 1 Toad when you account for Desires. 

I remember opening a two card combo back when opening hands were 6 to be around 30% so I just assumed it would be higher with more combinations with swap. I didn't realize how much lower the probability was with five cards. 

1 minute ago, Candela said:

I remember opening a two card combo back when opening hands were 6 to be around 30% so I just assumed it would be higher with more combinations with swap. I didn't realize how much lower the probability was with five cards. 

A 2 card combo in a 40 card deck where both cards are 3-ofs, with 6 cards in the opening hand is only ~14%.

A 5 card hand with the remaining parameters the same makes it 10%. 

http://deckulator.appspot.com/ is a good resource for figuring out the simple stuff.

I don't know about anyone else but I've been using Unexpected Dai in this deck for months and I'm opening with Toadally Awesome pretty often with it. I really like the card, drawing Frog the Jam isn't amazing but you can often Xyz with it, or discard it for Paleozoic Dinomischus.

You can just post about the frogs/ paleozoic traps/xyz guys in OP so we can get this thread going, then work on the rest on the way.

Is anyone currently working on this OP? I talked with victor about writing it this weekend if we get to it, but if the OP is improved and posted before that, then we can just use that or merge things together. I'll be honest and I'll say I think the current OP is really not good. To begin with I can't tell if it's a Frog discussion, a Water discussion (which we already have) or Paleozoic discussion. I mean mentioning certain interactions/rulings is neat and all, but I think the point of the discussion should be to introduce the cards (the Paleozoics, the traps, Toadally Awesome etc.), not dropping a few cards and copy-pasting some wikia information. For example every card being searchable by Dogu etc, I don't think that should be in there because any card can be searched by it. I'd rather we only use cards that are either proven to be good in TCG or OCG decks, or that are highly likely to be competitive/get people thinking. What is the goal of this deck? How is that goal achieved? What combo's and interactions most one be aware of, what are the match-ups like, what are some decklists, some trends of the OCG compared to the TCG? I think answering these questions would be a good start. 

2 hours ago, mark said:

Is anyone currently working on this OP? I talked with victor about writing it this weekend if we get to it, but if the OP is improved and posted before that, then we can just use that or merge things together. I'll be honest and I'll say I think the current OP is really not good. To begin with I can't tell if it's a Frog discussion, a Water discussion (which we already have) or Paleozoic discussion. I mean mentioning certain interactions/rulings is neat and all, but I think the point of the discussion should be to introduce the cards (the Paleozoics, the traps, Toadally Awesome etc.), not dropping a few cards and copy-pasting some wikia information. For example every card being searchable by Dogu etc, I don't think that should be in there because any card can be searched by it. I'd rather we only use cards that are either proven to be good in TCG or OCG decks, or that are highly likely to be competitive/get people thinking. What is the goal of this deck? How is that goal achieved? What combo's and interactions most one be aware of, what are the match-ups like, what are some decklists, some trends of the OCG compared to the TCG? I think answering these questions would be a good start. 

Me and @Satchmo were going to get around to drafting up some OPs over the next few days but if you and Victor want to take this one we can cross it off our list.

yeah sorry just been busy with finals and stuff. ill get on it right now 

22 minutes ago, PSY-Framelord Kappa said:

Me and @Satchmo were going to get around to drafting up some OPs over the next few days but if you and Victor want to take this one we can cross it off our list.

Alright, which decks did you plan on making threads on besides this one? I'm assuming Darklords is among them?