Silverdude

Paleozoic - Discussion

49 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Silverdude said:

yeah sorry just been busy with finals and stuff. ill get on it right now 

No problem, just post what you got when you got it and we'll go from there

30 minutes ago, mark said:

Alright, which decks did you plan on making threads on besides this one? I'm assuming Darklords is among them? 

Yeah Darklords is the highest Priority, we also toyed around with the idea of Yang Zing/HERO (we can take old threads and update/unarchive for these) & a couple of the OPs could do with updates also. The biggest thing we want to do is get a head start in terms of OCG stuff during the off-season winter period, which means transitioning the OCG threads on Zoodiacs, Fluffal, Eidolon, eventually unarchiving Infernoid etc.

Most of the ones we have in that section need very little additonal work done to them but having it all organised and planned out would be beneficial. Ofc we'd wait until much closer to release though.

Makes sense. Do you think Yang Zing deserves it's own thread, or that Yang Zing Metalfoes builds should just be discussed into the Metalfoes thread and others into the TCG Deck Garage? Thought about Hero as well, but it seems like it's the same kind of rogue deck it's always been, that'll always be around but never too prevalent. As for OCG, I don't follow that at all so I'll leave that to you and Satchmo. Good thing we're having some people to keep this section updated though. 

Denlong in general gives YZ a lot more flexability, so Metalfoe isn't the only possible variant, strictly speaking, just the most popular. With Sky Iris still at 3 and the scale 1 Odd-Eyes coming to NA in January, the old Odd-eyes variant is still plausible. I haven't weighed the pros and cons of each however (I think Metalfoe needs 1 less combo piece to go off?).

12 minutes ago, mark said:

Makes sense. Do you think Yang Zing deserves it's own thread, or that Yang Zing Metalfoes builds should just be discussed into the Metalfoes thread and others into the TCG Deck Garage? Thought about Hero as well, but it seems like it's the same kind of rogue deck it's always been, that'll always be around but never too prevalent. As for OCG, I don't follow that at all so I'll leave that to you and Satchmo. Good thing we're having some people to keep this section updated though. 

I'd say if we didn't want to dedicate too much time to Yang Zing we could take @The_Be(a)sT TCG Deck Garage thread, repurpose it and add the Metalfoe cards. His thread somewhat evidences that the deck is playable outside of using the Metalfoe engine, and the decks do play very differently. Once the cardpool expands and we get the D/D/D Structure there is also a list that saw success in the OCG utilizing D/D Lamia.

Luckily there are a lot of video resources for this deck courtesy of a player from NZ called Ny333 so it wouldn't be too much hassle.

HERO is probably a passing Fad and the superior Toad Strategies are WATER + Paleo but the option is there.

It might be good idea to make a thread such as 

for a quick overview to cover the differences between each variant, so everyone at least knows what we're talking about when discussing each variant? 

1 hour ago, victor said:

@PSY-Framelord Kappa

@mark

@Satchmo

I was planning to do the Darklord one by the end of this weekend.

Oh sweet, the more the workload is split up the better, if you already had plans to do it feel free to take it, I don't wanna step on any toes

I could do yang zing thread but I doubt there would be any discussion?

26 minutes ago, The_Be(a)sT said:

I could do yang zing thread but I doubt there would be any discussion?

If you don't mind the work you could make one, it might get people interested and it could generate discussion, especially if it keeps topping and stuff, and if not we could always archive it at a later point. 

On the topic of Paleozoic, have people considered remaking the Fabled Unicore Control deck that was all the rage back in the day (when Obedience Schooled, Ayers Rock Sunrise, and Valerifawn came out)?

Obviously, it's one of the most challenging to pilot and requires a ton of skill and playtesting (hence the dearth of usage and tops), but the deck now literally has an upgrade with Twin Twisters + Paleozoic Traps being a better Karma Cut, MST, draw power, BoM, etc. The best thing is Fabled Ragin being a Pot of Greed with Kushano + Paleozoic :)

Throw in Toadally Awesome, alongside a revivable Unicore, stuff like Reckless Greed, Shared Ride + Maxx C to keep hand size up, CED and Mind Crush, Dust Tornado (which can decrease hand size), and your opponent is in a bind. You can make Armory Arm to equip boost your floodgates and so on.

And obviously you get to play Magical Spring and benefit. Coral Dragon + Fabled, the deck has a lot of new tricks.

3 minutes ago, victor said:

On the topic of Paleozoic, have people considered remaking the Fabled Unicore Control deck that was all the rage back in the day (when Obedience Schooled, Ayers Rock Sunrise, and Valerifawn came out)?

Obviously, it's one of the most challenging to pilot and requires a ton of skill and playtesting (hence the dearth of usage and tops), but the deck now literally has an upgrade with Twin Twisters + Paleozoic Traps being a better Karma Cut, MST, draw power, BoM, etc. The best thing is Fabled Ragin being a Pot of Greed with Kushano + Paleozoic :)

Throw in Toadally Awesome, alongside a revivable Unicore, stuff like Reckless Greed, Shared Ride + Maxx C to keep hand size up, CED and Mind Crush, Dust Tornado (which can decrease hand size), and your opponent is in a bind. You can make Armory Arm to equip boost your floodgates and so on.

And obviously you get to play Magical Spring and benefit. Coral Dragon + Fabled, the deck has a lot of new tricks.

This actually sounds reasonable, I'll be testing this some. I not sure it's good in addition to toadally awesome, too many non-theme monsters needed.

On 12/8/2016 at 8:12 AM, victor said:

@PSY-Framelord Kappa

@mark

@Satchmo

I was planning to do the Darklord one by the end of this weekend.

feel free, we'll add input and such since we were also planning on doing it this weekend.

This deck is performing so well in tournaments right now. Yet another two spots taken up in the top 4 of YCS Bochum.

You're more than welcome to help work on it if you want it done faster 

Not sure if people noticed this but folks are using this in Paleozoic:

300?cb=20131101224653300?cb=20140908004819

9 hours ago, victor said:

Not sure if people noticed this but folks are using this in Paleozoic:

300?cb=20131101224653300?cb=20140908004819

Yeah it's decent, Upstart is Soft-OPT so if you're comfortable with playing 1 Hanzo (really isn't that awful considering you're going to be setting Dupe/Ronin oftentimes anyway and you can block stuff trying to remove it with traps  to slow roll your way into Upstart in the event you draw it), Opening Upstart + any 3 Traps enables you to acess Tsuk + Raffle T1, Raffle being another way to beat Denko/Jinzo etc. I'm sure there might be a different R4 you could open on T1 Game 1.

Theoretically you could also play more Hanzo and the Freezing Ninjitsu Art Trap which acts as a Pseudo Threatening-Roar in the same vein as Waboku (or Trans/Shadow Sealing but idk if there are any worthwhile targets) but that starts to run into issues because Hanzo is kind of dicks and playing more and more monsters leaves you with less room for non-Paleo traps which are incredibly important in the first couple of turns in the game to set-up. Not to mention that all of the ninjitsu art cards are easily read and even easier to play around.

I thought about the ninja build around ARG Charlotte times its cool but it has major issues mostly being its a very fragile strategy and doesnt really do what you are wanting with the deck which is have multiple traps set with a major play on turn 3

2 hours ago, PSY-Framelord Kappa said:

Yeah it's decent, Upstart is Soft-OPT so if you're comfortable with playing 1 Hanzo (really isn't that awful considering you're going to be setting Dupe/Ronin oftentimes anyway and you can block stuff trying to remove it with traps  to slow roll your way into Upstart in the event you draw it), Opening Upstart + any 3 Traps enables you to acess Tsuk + Raffle T1, Raffle being another way to beat Denko/Jinzo etc. I'm sure there might be a different R4 you could open on T1 Game 1.

Theoretically you could also play more Hanzo and the Freezing Ninjitsu Art Trap which acts as a Pseudo Threatening-Roar in the same vein as Waboku (or Trans/Shadow Sealing but idk if there are any worthwhile targets) but that starts to run into issues because Hanzo is kind of dicks and playing more and more monsters leaves you with less room for non-Paleo traps which are incredibly important in the first couple of turns in the game to set-up. Not to mention that all of the ninjitsu art cards are easily read and even easier to play around.

http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=107017

^ This guy got 5th place in Philly playing just the Golden Upstarts and nothing else.

1 hour ago, Carter Wix said:

I thought about the ninja build around ARG Charlotte times its cool but it has major issues mostly being its a very fragile strategy and doesnt really do what you are wanting with the deck which is have multiple traps set with a major play on turn 3

6 minutes ago, victor said:

http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=107017

^ This guy got 5th place in Philly playing just the Golden Upstarts and nothing else.

Well why would you even consider anything outside of 3 Golden Upstart and 1 Hanzo, I only mentioned the other stuff out of posterity's sake. Upstart->Upstart->Tsuk conflicts with a very low percentage of hands and is completely congruent with the strategy of assembling traps on T1 to take control of the game on T3, Ideally you discard a Paleozoic for Upstart and make up the deficit in advantage with Tsuk. It's not particularly any more fragile than anything else the deck wants to do it's just whether those 3-4 deck slots those cards would take up are comparatively worse than not only what people currently envision as standard but also more left-field choices like Greydle Slime Jr. or Unexpected Dai.

Alright so I've been more busy with a bunch of stuff than I expected this weekend, asked silverdude and he's doesn't have the time either, so as far as I'm aware no one is currently working this. If anyone can do the Paleozoic discussion then please go ahead, otherwise I'll do it when I have the time but I can't guarantee when atm. 
@Satchmo @PSY-Framelord Kappa @victor @NB96

Real question how do you guys side with this deck? What do you side out going first and second? I assume going second you can just cut DB/Stikes and first theres like Maxx C?