Edgar

Position: Student. Looking for: Help on a Paper.

Edgar    6

I've been taking a class on the philosophy of language this semester. It's been technical enough that the material more or less overlaps with linguistics. We've mostly just been talking about the language people use to make claims about ethics in normal, everyday speech. In other words, we've been talking about the common use of words like 'ought' and 'should' rather than the meaning of 'ought' and 'should'. (If that sounds subtle and arcane, worry not; it is.)

I've been tasked with writing a paper for the course, but the professor requested I take a survey of native English speakers before making any broad, sweeping, philosophical claims. (How dare he be so responsible.)

Naturally, I have no funding to conduct a legitimate live-interview phone survey of a demographically representative sample of sufficient size to make any real claims. Thus, I turn to the next best thing: Duelistgroundz.

If you'd like to help out a fellow DGz-er, take my SurveyMonkey survey on the use of the words 'ought' and 'should' in a few basic contexts. (It's extremely short and informal.)

Here's the link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8F5CYTD

I thank you all in advance for your continued benevolence.

SpiceWeasel    19

In your first question you're unable to fill out for all questions, its thinking each question is an answer for a question

»ACP    33422

I'd be happy to take your survey, but as already stated, the first question doesn't even work.

Also, it's worth noting that "ought" is almost followed by the word "to." So with the first statement for example, I might say, "Someone ought to check the weather," but I would never say, "Someone ought check the weather."

• Upvote 2