Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LionHeart77

Broken Jaw. Advice on surviving on liquid diet?

11 posts in this topic

Some of you may remember me from my other thread asking about workout advice. Well last weekend I was in an accident that left one side of my jaw broken and the other shattered. Few days and a surgery later I have a wired jaw and am on a liquid diet for 3-8 weeks. I am terrified about what this is going to do to my muscle that I have worked my ass off for. Has anyone else had to deal with a liquid diet before or have any supplements/advice for the process? I can start working out again next week so I plan on that but it just seems really hard to get all the nutrition I need from liquids. And by liquids I mean things that can go between or around my teeth so most soups are out of the question... 

Can't you just take a lot of protein shakes, or these liquid shakes that are designed to replace meals. Not an expert on this but I know there are people who live on liquid shakes only, and the most apparent downside would be that your metabolism slows down because you don't make chew movements. So basically if you still take everything you need (kcal surplus, enough protein, enough of every nutrient you need), and work out (if you can), maybe spicing up your metabolism by taking cold showers or stuff like that, I think you should be good - especially since it's only a few weeks so you can easily regain any muscle tissue lost - which shouldn't even be that much, muscle doesn't go away fast when you're in kcal surplus. Weight gainers shakes maybe? By the way if you can't even eat these kind of liquids, then I assume your doctor or dietitian has given you advice so follow that I think. Not really sure what more to say, I definitely don't speak out of experience. 

metabolic changes are gonna be moot

Can you force down scrambled eggs or does it have to be like COMPLETELY liquid/straw?

mark's got the right idea though, whatever "good" alternative to slimfast or whatever, thats the diea your going for. watch your macros but dont worry too much about it, your body isnt gonna quit on you completely 

Yea it is gonna be mostly protein shakes and meal replacement shakes. Unfortunately I can't get any solids down. Mostly just what I can fit through and around my teeth. Around is really hard to control though. I just need to find a good high calorie high nutrition shake. Eating/drinking is a chore. I honestly feel like I could work out today. But I am also on a lot of Lortab right now which probably makes me feel like super man...

mcdonalds milkshake like a thousand calories if you gotta fill the hole ; ) 

What kind of soups do you have that can't go between your teeth? :mellow:

What about Soylent or one of the many alternatives to it? 

Anything that can't be easily sucked through a straw :/ .  Friend brought homemade broccoli cheddar soup over and even after we blended the broccoli it was too thick to get through my teeth. I can try to fit things around my wisdom teeth with a straw but that is pretty difficult. I don't have a lot of mouth control at the moment. I miss having easy access to my tongue... I will have to look into soylent milkshakes and the liquid product. My dinner last night was a protein shake mixed with a mcdonalds milkshake lol.

meal replacement shakes.

in hopsital we prescribe shit called "ensure" but they're baisically just nutritionally balanced semi calorific drinks. 

i wouldn't start blending foods too much as it sounds gross. just go for healthy shakes, try and find zero sugar ones. 

blend a cup of fruit and small ice cubes

maybe some greens 

I survived! They removed the wire today! So happy!!!! From my weight of 170 lbs before this mess I dropped to 140 at my lowest. Which is disgusting for only being wired a month. But after I got used to the shakes I was able to consume 6-8 a day to help maintain calories. Along with a shitload of milkshakes. So I am at 155 now. Which isn't great but I am happy my weight shot back up soo fast. Eating isn't easy because my jaw still isn't fully functional and I broke a few teeth that can't be worked on just yet but I am soo glad to have real food in my life I legit cried today. I've continued my workouts after the first week and a half of misery.  I am ready to get fully healed so I can kick some ass in the kitchen. My motivation for fitness is on another level right now.