ACP

Forums, Rules, and Settings Changes

+ACP+    33891

I'll start with the most obvious change that people will immediately see: several forums have been removed. I suspect that this may be controversial, so I would like to explain in full detail.

There is a common misconception that DGz is a dead or dying forum. DGZ is to this day the 2nd most active Yugioh TCG forums site (pojo is #1, we're #2, and after that is ygorg and DNF). More importantly, while is true that in the long-term, our activity is far less than it used to be in 2011 for example, in recent months we have actually been on an upward trajectory with far more posts than we used to have 3 months ago. So the question becomes then why is it that despite our activity being fundamentally strong, with a consistent 100+ posts per day, it is actually a common belief among newer members that DGZ is headed for the scrapheap? I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that there were several forums that had not received a single post in several months, and in some cases even years, which gives off a false impression of the overall health of the site. Thus, I believe that regular evaluation of the health of our individual forums is necessary for a good site image. Although it may seem very counter-intuitive, I do believe that deleting forums can actually boost sitewide activity.

The "books" subforum has been deleted and merged with the TV, Books, and Films main forum. Books did not have enough activity to merit its own subforum, but it can still be discussed in its respectful main forum.

The "fashion and aesthetics" forum has also been deleted. Activity has steadily decreased in this forum due to the ever-changing interests of our members. Fashion will now be discussed in General Groundz. Given that General Groundz is no longer a hub for political discussion, it quite likely that any fashion threads will stay on the front page of General Groundz for quite some time.

The "competitive gaming" subforum of Video Games has been deleted and merged with Video Games. Smash was the only thread there getting any activity, and the divide between what was considered competitive seemed entirely nonsensical. Smash is competitive, but Overwatch and League of Legends isn't?

For Yugioh, our Articles section has been deleted and merged with Theory and Philosophy. The Articles forum was created before the beginning of my reign. I criticized it then, and I will still criticize it now. The forum was a failure from the beginning because there was absolutely no incentive to post there. In the future, there is a slight chance that there will be opportunities for people to be paid to write Yugioh articles. Until then, it will never work. However, I do plan to replace this concept with a pinned "Best of Theory and Philosophy" within its respective forum, where the best ideas and articles are easily accessible for future use.

Also in Yugioh, Trading Groundz has been done away with. I think it has literally been several years since a successful trade was ever made here. Additionally, our mods are not in any kind of position right now to keep track of refs and verify that people aren't getting scammed. Frankly, this forum should've been deleted several years ago when scruffy the janitor scummed everyone.

Additionally, I'm strongly considering getting rid of the twitch gaming streams and poker subforums. The only reason I haven't done so is because I'm biased and am secretly hoping that they will get a bunch of activity out of nowhere. If that doesn't happen, expect them to be gone by the end of december. Feel free to prove me wrong though and start posting there if you do happen to stream or like poker.

Ok, so now that that's over with, I will mention a couple more things. As you have likely already noticed, our Rules and Regulations have been updated. The goal here again is to make things better for our newer members. I want everything to be clear, readable, and sensible. If someone gets banned, it will be because they were in clear violation of the rules and thus they deserved it. These rules are not set in stone and I am open to changing them if there is something that I have left off or a rule is too vague.

Lastly, I want to note something else that many of our members have already discovered. You can only edit your posts after 2 hours of posting them. Why is this? Because there were too many cases of members editing their posts to be completely blank after receiving negative comments. Hiding your mistakes is the antithesis of the DGz culture. We want everything that you say to count. 2 hours is a long enough period of time to correct any typos but short enough that we don't have to worry about you rage quitting the site after editing all of your posts to be completely blank. If it's past the 2 hours and you really need to edit a post, just PM a mod. Note that double-posting is socially acceptable and is a valid alternative to editing.

• Upvote 3

»victor    6361
14 minutes ago, ACP said:

There is a common misconception that DGz is a dead or dying forum. DGZ is to this day the 2nd most active Yugioh TCG forums site (pojo is #1, we're #2, and after that is ygorg and DNF). More importantly, while is true that in the long-term, our activity is far less than it used to be in 2011 for example, in recent months we have actually been on an upward trajectory with far more posts than we used to have 3 months ago. So the question becomes then why is it that despite our activity being fundamentally strong, with a consistent 100+ posts per day, it is actually a common belief among newer members that DGZ is headed for the scrapheap? I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that there were several forums that had not received a single post in several months, and in some cases even years, which gives off a false impression of the overall health of the site. Thus, I believe that regular evaluation of the health of our individual forums is necessary for a good site image. Although it may seem very counter-intuitive, I do believe that deleting forums can actually boost sitewide activity.

I don't think it's a misconception, because I think a lot of the site activity and "upward trajectory" has been due to Politics and the election.

But The Yugioh forums which are supposed to be our bread and butter are pretty inactive - the Deck Discussions aren't being posted in. I mean the last post in there was Wednesday, we literally went 3 days without a post about a deck.

ABC and Metalfoes, the top 2 decks, haven't been posted in since Nov 19th and Nov 22nd.

I mean we haven't talked about Darklords, Paleozoics, in any serious fashion. And there was no mention of Yang Zing Metalfoes post Denglong, what is going on?

DGZ IS dying because we aren't impacting the meta in any way, people can't come here to discuss the latest trends, because nobody is posting about them.

TLDR: I think you are in denial, e.g. Reddit is much more active, Pojo has every theme under the sun to discuss, etc.

• Upvote 4

JAPANESE GOBLIN    2169

dude with 2 posts has the absolute pulse of this forums culture

• Upvote 15
  • Downvote 1

+Satchmo+    3201
1 hour ago, victor said:

But The Yugioh forums which are supposed to be our bread and butter are pretty inactive - the Deck Discussions aren't being posted in. I mean the last post in there was Wednesday, we literally went 3 days without a post about a deck.

ABC and Metalfoes, the top 2 decks, haven't been posted in since Nov 19th and Nov 22nd.

I mean we haven't talked about Darklords, Paleozoics, in any serious fashion. And there was no mention of Yang Zing Metalfoes post Denglong, what is going on?

DGZ IS dying because we aren't impacting the meta in any way, people can't come here to discuss the latest trends, because nobody is posting about them.

TLDR: I think you are in denial, e.g. Reddit is much more active, Pojo has every theme under the sun to discuss, etc.

It's the off season and the holiday season, with a lot of the current decks soon to be rotated out by newer, stronger product in January and Febuary and very few major events in between that time. I outside of regionals, the next event is Sydney which is right after the DDD structure is released? Correct me if I'm wrong. EDIT 2: I was wrong; see below.

I don't tknow what's happening on the ygo reddit but Pojo's activity doesn't really come from competitive discussion. It's not entirely accurate of pojo's daily or weekly activity cycle but here's the threads in pojo's deck discussion where the last post was made from the last 5 hours.

EDIT: For the record, the last post in the ABC thread on pojo as of this writing was on November 29th

a359c610ffb64709a498140d386fd682.png

• Upvote 1

+ACP+    33891
1 hour ago, victor said:

I don't think it's a misconception, because I think a lot of the site activity and "upward trajectory" has been due to Politics and the election.

Breaking the meta has nothing to do with activity. If Patrick Hoban made an invite-only forum that only his 20 friends could post in, it would would have more of an impact on the meta but would be far less active than DGz. It's not a bad thing when our members' tastes change. Our goat format thread is really active. Our politics section is really active. And yet people see those things and somehow make that out to be a bad thing. I can't control external factors like what the community is interested in discussing. I can only make the community as large as possible and try to keep everyone happy. There are definitely people who think that I shouldn't have made the politics forum because it discourages people from talking about Yugioh. But that opinion is not based in reality. It's not like any new Yugioh players are going to join our site specifically because we DON'T have a politics forum.

The point here was not really to discuss the nuances of the issue of activity (although it is quite ridiculous that I've gotten tons of criticism about me killing the site despite the fact that activity has increased by about 50% in the short period of time that I've been in charge), but to get people to understand why deleting inactive forums is a good thing. We create and keep around a bunch of completely inactive forums purely out of wishful thinking. "Oh wouldn't it nice if we had a special place to post Yugioh articles." Yeah it would be nice. But creating a forum for it won't make articles appear out of thin air. But it does have the effect of making people see a forum with two threads in it and now people are wondering "What's up with that article forum? It seems like nothing is even there." That's all I'm trying to get across here. I'm not saying that everyone has to agree with me. I just want to explain why I'm doing what I'm doing.

• Upvote 3

»victor    6361

ACP, I agree with you on deleting these inactive forums, I have no issues with this.

We should have a politics forum, no idea why people think it distracts from Yugioh.

---------------

The challenge for me is people used to join this site thinking "DGZ will make me a better duelist, I hope to learn something on DGZ", but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

For me and others I know, the point of forums is idea generation, or surveying/better understanding the meta. I can't get anybody to post here when there is such a long lull between bursts of activity. The Satchmo and IronPirate convo in Magician Pendulum DD is great and what we need more of, but those posts are all there is for YGO folks, in the last couple days.

All of our threads are like 2 people posting, and then they drop off.

I.e. I have a couple different posts/points I want to make + "some theory", but I can't just create and sustain 5 threads in a vacuum, if there is no back and forth. Do I just post in Monohan's Idea Pad all the time?

Also this:

15 hours ago, Me. said:

The next major event is YCS Bochum in 7 days.

-----------------

Re:

15 hours ago, Satchmo said:

with a lot of the current decks soon to be rotated out by newer, stronger product in January and Febuary

This is a crutch way of thinking about and rationalizing our struggles I feel.

DGZ is the Pinnacle of Competition, about being the best and making the best of it given what we have - you still want to top, innovate, and push the envelope in a stale meta. That's how stuff like Mystic Refpanel became a thing in DRuler days, etc.

Do you guys remember how the Pendulum swung between DRulers and Prophecy, between events?

On 12/26/2015 at 7:14 PM, victor said:

From my biased perspective on what I like to read,

Comparing this to your Igknight and Burning Abyss deck analyses, and even greenfield theory like Galaxy Cydra Artifact and Six Samurai, and stuff like Secret Sanctuary of the Spellcasters in Majespecter side, I like reading those a lot more (because I think in those terms as well, and I'm like woah, why didn't I think of that?) Or reading Patrick Hoban's article on how a meta or format is affected by an interaction, same thing.

----------------

I do kind of feel that a lot of what Yugioh needs right now is thinking on how to break or move past the Pepe Magician Pendulum Tier 0, where everything is a handmedown from the OCG.

The best part about Dragon Ruler Prophecy format was how everybody came up with better and better decks (I remember Jester Lord + EEV, and even Blasters + Horus LV 8 being played), e.g. Tsukiyomi -> Dark Illusion in Evilswarm -> Psi Blocker.

And how people played Rivalry of Warlords to beat Big Eye and Colossal Fighter, so Dragon players started playing Red Dragon Archfiend for EEV.

The cool thing is how people played Lightning Vortex / Last Day of Witch, and then Defender started getting played...

-------------------

I mean look at Patrick Hoban's side deck from the last ARG:

Side Deck:
2 Psi-Blocker
3 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Denko Sekka
1 Dragonpit Magician
3 Magical Spring
2 Storm
1 Steelswarm Roach
1 Gem-Knight Garnet

It's like classic Dragon Ruler side, what the best deck plays.

I'd love to see/engineer how the best deck advances beyond that.

(X Saber Palomuro is a great example)

• Upvote 2

+ACP+    33891

I'm not going to even go into detail because it would just sound like salt on my part, but you're missing the entire point. The amount of discussion that in your mind qualifies as "competitive" has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the site is dead. It's not like on pojo, reddit, etc. they are coming up with cutting-edge theory and we're not. As far as the health of the site goes, I'm just interested in how many active members we have and how many posts per day that we have. Whether those members are talking about winning the next YCS or trying to build Yugi's deck from the anime is totally irrelevant. I can't change the interests and attitudes of everyone in the community. It's literally not possible.

+mark    2933

So I think people aren't actually worrying that the site is dying and losing activity, rather they're worrying that it's losing in quality, with regards to yugioh specifically. I'd like to add to that that I think a part of that problem is the fact that yugioh has evolved more towards deckbuilding, having secret techs etc, and the idea that keeping 'secrets' which you only discuss within your circle of 3-4 people is popularized by patrick hoban among others. I'm not sure if a place where high quality discussion with the best players frequently taking place is still doable in 2016, because these 'best players' quickly figure out that there's more to be lost than to be gained by sharing their ideas. So I'm not sure it's fair to criticize ACP on that, although I also don't think it's fair to look at activity only, because it's not like we want to be like pojo or something. I don't really have a solution to the problem either. 

• Upvote 1

+ACP+    33891

It wasn't really popularized by Hoban; it was already the case even when DGz was supposedly "good." All of the hot tech was developed in Brady Bunch AIM chats and mostly kept to themselves. What people are really wishing for is that lots of members were topping YCSs like we used to, because then we could feel better about ourselves. Well, if that's really what they want to happen, then go out and do it. You don't even have to be some of genius anymore. Just copy the latest broken archetype that Konami printed last week and don't play like a retard.

Nelrick    2393

I wanted to go out an top YCS with hot new tech and share them but i got my deck stolen when i was gonna top the first regional i had gone to. That and there are no YCSes in my country.

I tried allen.

+ACP+    33891

Have you tried topping your 150-person local after starting with 2 byes and then telling everyone that it counts as a premier event?

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, ACP said:

Have you tried topping your 150-person local after starting with 2 byes and then telling everyone that it counts as a premier event?

haha args dont count and my parents dont love me

• Upvote 1

DarkBlaze557    2160

If I can make a suggestion:

The Hearthstone section is largely inactive. The Deck Discussion area hasn't been posted in since June and the main Hearthstone forum pretty much consists of people (including me) talking in the general talk thread and very little outside of that.

I know it was originally branched out to provide an opportunity for growth, but it never really did grow. I'd suggest either merging it back with the Video Games forum or into an "Other TCGs" forum if you've been considering that sort of setup.

• Upvote 2

Jazz    4716

Can we edit the OP of threads after 2 hours or is that not possible?

Also correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the yugioh sections more active when we had DN? Seems like the primary obstacle to yugioh activity on the internet.

• Upvote 1

Azzaw    64

I feel like YGO forums in general have just been on the decline. If anything, I've seen a surge in activity in FB groups (like Zodiac) and the Yugi-Tube community has always been consistent. People are probably just preferring those platforms a lot more if they want to discuss the game since FB and YouTube are a lot more accessible if anything.

+ACP+    33891

Just my daily reminder that I can't say the word "activity" without everyone giving their usual theories on why a non-declining site is declining.

• Upvote 1

+ACP+    33891
2 hours ago, Jazz said:

Can we edit the OP of threads after 2 hours or is that not possible?

There no separate setting for OPs, although I wish there was. You specifically should be able to edit your posts at any time though; I just gave your disk commander usergroup that ability.

• Upvote 1

wonderPreaux    1432
4 hours ago, DarkBlaze557 said:

The Hearthstone section is largely inactive. The Deck Discussion area hasn't been posted in since June and the main Hearthstone forum pretty much consists of people (including me) talking in the general talk thread and very little outside of that.

I know it was originally branched out to provide an opportunity for growth, but it never really did grow. I'd suggest either merging it back with the Video Games forum or into an "Other TCGs" forum if you've been considering that sort of setup.

I think the Deck Discussion section is underused because we were used to just posting decks in the main discussion thread. Like, if we want to do it YGO style and have big OPs for super-types of decks, I'll gladly post some up.

HououinKyouma    797

Since you're trimming subforums, can I suggest that you delete the Battle of X subforums in Anime and TV/Film/Books. It would be neat to keep them archived if we held them with any sort of regularity, ie a yearly thing like KotF, but the Anime Openings one was never completed and the Cartoon Characters and Anime Villains ones were both in 2012. I doubt that many people even care/will notice if these subforums bite the dust and realistically I doubt keeping them around is much of a selling point for the forums since both Anime/Manga and TV/Film/Books rarely gets posted in anyway.

chrona    82
9 hours ago, DarkBlaze557 said:

Actually, I would like it if the HS section would be more fleshed out. :(

Most people are pretty bad at the game, I'd say even worse than the yugioh community, which makes most sites like hearthpwn useless if you want to talk about strategies. Having a small section to talk serious about HS would be nice.

»Barron    8037

I think we should just keep politics to discord. The fact that some people left DGz and/or went unhinged because of a fucking election [IM LITERALLY SHAKING RN] is embarrassing. It's hard to bring in activity as you need to get people interested. DNF is dead and will soon expire literally, YGOrg is more active in their discord chat more than their forum. Pojo looks to be more "fun" oriented as nowadays that's what's keeping people around & active enough. YF literally lost it's domain name and I guess someone bought it for a few thousand dollars [missed that as they were #1]. There's a new forum that's up and will be based on YGOpro called Duelists Unite & has really neat features as there's made ranking systems using the same elo or w/e by Konami's ranking system. Then with the soon manual mode they have out they can feed off activity more. What DGz needs to do is find out what you want to keep around forum wise then move things in an archieve or hide them. The more you can condense the better. DGz needs to start off small then try to grow forum size wise. 

I'm sure we can archive Introduction to's
http://prnt.sc/dfyu3j

-Move threads from SCD to Ygo Gen as that's where they originated & could create more traffic

-Do the same with Product News

-Move Travellers Groundz to General or Social Interaction

-Move HS/Pokemon to Entertainment

-Archive the Team forums & tournaments/warring

Others suggested stuff already but yeah. 

• Upvote 1

DarkBlaze557    2160
12 hours ago, wonderPreaux said:

I think the Deck Discussion section is underused because we were used to just posting decks in the main discussion thread. Like, if we want to do it YGO style and have big OPs for super-types of decks, I'll gladly post some up.

Great idea! Honestly, the Hearthstone section just really lacks in good contributors - which I'm just as guilty as the rest of everyone else that posts there. I'm honestly just not good at the game and appreciate a place to shoot the shit about it, which is why I tend to stay in the general HS thread.

7 hours ago, chrona said:

Actually, I would like it if the HS section would be more fleshed out. :(

Most people are pretty bad at the game, I'd say even worse than the yugioh community, which makes most sites like hearthpwn useless if you want to talk about strategies. Having a small section to talk serious about HS would be nice.

I think I can agree with that as well. Having a baseline to work with would be better than, "Here's some empty forums for you all - go post stuff."

Either way, the area needs work. I wish I could say I would volunteer for that, but I'm really terrible at the game and tend to stay around rank 14.

• Upvote 1

+ACP+    33891

Pretty sure I'm going to do this:

- Move Music to be a subforum of CSK and move over all of the music shit in CSK over there. Make CSK actually about spam again.

- Make the streaming subforum of video games just a pinned thread in video games. It doesn't need a whole forum.

- Get rid of poker subforum and make it a thread in Other Tabletop Games.

- Getting rid of "Theory and Articles" forum in pokemon as well. Had the exact same problem that its Yugioh equivalent had.

Also note:

- Cardfight has gotten barely any activity in recent months and could also go away in the future.

- Going to be figuring out how to have Hearthstone discussion branch out in ways than the "General Talk" pinned thread. The Hearthstone forums get plenty of activity, but 99% of it is in one thread.

• Upvote 2