HououinKyouma

Kimi no na wa (Your Name)

14 posts in this topic

So this is Shinkai's newest film, I saw it today and honestly was pretty damn impressed. I wasn't a fan of kotonoha no niwa, and honestly besides 5 cm most of Shinkai's films have been meh. Especially hearing that body swapping was a big part of this film I was dubious, but honestly this is better than 5 cm even though it has its fair share of flaws. I sort of want to watch it again, but it was only a limited release here in California and today's the last day its showing and they're all sold out. If you can catch this in theaters I would highly recommend it, especially if this is still playing near you.

Welp time to get hyped for the old white dudes in the Academy to not see this and it to not win an oscar.

It looks really good, from what I saw in the trailer. Very impressive. The story and anime looks amazing.

The trailer really sells this film short, and many reviews describing this as "a girl and boy body swap love story" also sell this short. I can't say much more with out spoiling things, but this is unique in many aspects compared to the rest of Shinkai's filmography. This film makes me wish I could've seen 5 cm/sec on the big screen.

i think youll find this synopsis to be the best one at selling the idea of the movie without spoilers

Also, don't ruin the movie for yourself and watch the rip, since this apparently is getting a wider American release at the beginning of 2017.

I saw it premiere in UK cinemas a couple of weeks back - despite all the information telling me it was subbed it ended up being dubbed which was a bit of a disappointment (the english voice actors weren't terrible but they weren't amazing), but it was a beautiful film. I enjoyed it a lot and i'm looking forward to rewatching it subbed at some point.

I hope the US wide release isn't dubbed, since there's like 5 minutes of sweet, sweet kanahana at the beginning (Mitsuha's teacher in Itomori is the same teacher from Kotonoha no Niwa and Kanahana reprises that role).

I've missed quite a lot of major releases, but this might actually be my favourite film of the year. I totally agree that the trailer synopsis sells it short, but for reasons obvious if you've seen the film, it's for a very good reason.

Edited by Mr Dragon

Yea the more I think about this and talk to people about it, the more I like it. I think it floats somewhere towards the bottom of my t10 or just outside of it for films I saw this year.

watched it.

really beautiful, really well balanced, nice animation. had that disney magic to it. 

if you put 100 people in a room and told them to rate it, they'd nearly all probably give it an 8-10/10 but i dont think it'd hit THAT many 10s. 

is it overrated? yes. 

i just watched it in theaters

QONVIyz.gif

10/10

Going to go watch it next week.

My expectations are not set high.

cuz i'm a fucking hipster. 

When a bunch of people hype shit for me I tend to become biased against it