victor

Darklord - Discussion

Daybreaker    23
On 12/12/2016 at 7:21 PM, Sess said:

I'm enjoying this deck quite a bit. I'm playing 2 kristya and 2 vanity's fiend in my build at the moment. Kristya can also be dumped by twin twister which can be pretty relevant. I've been running 2 call of the haunted in my build though which has synergy with kristya but is pretty terrible when going second and gives your opponent something to actually hit with their twin twisters. Was considering cutting them.

For those playing Morningstar (I am as well), how often do you find yourself actually using it?

Kuribandit is a neat idea though, would be interesting to try out.

19 hours ago, dexer008 said:

It's main strength is that it's a quickplay, so decent going first or second and isn't easily as outed. You can also use it offensively or defensively. 

But i'll give your build a go and see how it fairs. It looks like a fairly decent go first build, which is this deck's strength, but making it better for second is probably what needs to be improve on most of us agree. 

8 hours ago, Sess said:

I could have sworn kristya was semi-limited for some reason but guess I was wrong. I like the idea of just running 3 kristya and no vanity's fiend, think I will test it.

I like at least 2 copies of rebellion though, I found myself banishing both traps very frequently with desires when I just played 1 of each. Also how is 3 desires? Do you think we should just play 3 anyway regardless of the very high chance of drawing 2 copies with all the draw power our deck has? Another thing is maybe going to 41 to play an upstart goblin would be a good idea unless you think the life point difference is relevant. In the past going over 40 with upstart was like blasphemy to me, but now it is a card that can get banished by desires that you don't care at all about.

Also the defensive celestial transformation seems a bit weak to me as they can just run over the kristya.

7 hours ago, Blacklisted said:

I also topped a regionals with this deck (Sneaked in 8th place to just make it) with a list similar to the one Jono as he is one of the few people I discuss the game with. I pretty much winged the deck becasue the night before he was meant to teach me how to play the deck but I decided to go out for drinks instead.

The deck isn't very good, has little to no come back, board control or stabilization or whatever but is definitely fun to paly for OTK's with big guys

The deck is actually amazing you literally just played the popularised build with a ton of bricks. It has one of the best recovery cards in Contact which is constantly reusable. 

6 hours ago, Gojira said:

I feel like kristya getting stuck on top of the deck is a huge downside

Another reason to play Valhalla makes it much less of a downside but I feel like with most decks right now if you have them under Kristya and the Raigeki it then you're probably losing that turn. All I ever seem to lose to is Raigeki/Hole topped on me so I had a thought that Forbidden Lance or My Body As A Shield could be really good in the side but need to test.

• Downvote 1

Blacklisted    1327
Just now, Daybreaker said:

The deck is actually amazing you literally just played the popularised build with a ton of bricks. It has one of the best recovery cards in Contact which is constantly reusable. 

The deck is fun and all, but it's not a deck anyone who intends to win a big tournament will bring to that said tournament

buckwheatloaf    205

this deck did like super good in the ocg  so im kinda puzzled why it totally flopped here. maybe the 2nd eradicator is really needed to make it have a more consistent auto-win vs more decks instead of just relying on vfiend which cant always be protected sufficiently. 

this is the one deck in the format that isn't hindered by dbarier so i feel like it would have a lot going for it from that. 

Blacklisted    1327

A few reasons

1. The stun build is complete garbage going second when your hand is kristya and shit when you're staring down at a board

2. The stun build isn't even auto win going first with a lot of people playing cards like Eclipse

3. The OTK build has no follow up if it doesn't OTK and is frail trying to play into backrow and cards like Kirin / Alkahest

4. Deck is like BEWD where you draw your deck and is only good if you reach your monster reborns

Daybreaker    23

The deck is really good i'm convinced people are just building it wrong. It has so much going for it it's strong going first or second (my build is anyway) Barrier has little to no impact bar extremely rare gamestates and it can turbo draw into silver bullet side deck cards like ASF, Denko and System Down. 

buckwheatloaf    205

hmm yeah i feel like it could be  a dark horse. but how do u feel about not having more eradicators? like eradicator spells vs abc and traps vs paleozoic seems close to autowins, and its better than v fiend in that it cant be coutersided. well it could be, in the ocg ppl went as far to side droll birds for darklords, but obvs no one is doing that here. 

Silver    959

well for starters, why no reasoning in this deck ?

potentially you can play different levels so you can some variety for levels.

so if you hit any of the search spell or reborn, its potentially a plus 1. at worst, becomes a meh foolish burial.

»victor    6396

For what it's worth, in the OCG, Darklords have been one of the few non-Zoodiac decks to top, as more than one-offs, in the OCG due to side-decked King Tiger Wanghu and Bat Blight Virus.

-----------

3 hours ago, Blacklisted said:

A few reasons

1. The stun build is complete garbage going second when your hand is kristya and shit when you're staring down at a board

2. The stun build isn't even auto win going first with a lot of people playing cards like Eclipse

3. The OTK build has no follow up if it doesn't OTK and is frail trying to play into backrow and cards like Kirin / Alkahest

4. Deck is like BEWD where you draw your deck and is only good if you reach your monster reborns

Regarding 1 and 2, the deck can play stuff like Herald of Orange/Green Light so you can disrupt and destroy the opponent going 2nd.

Regarding 2, the ideal is you can make Totem Bird or Lancelot or Hope Harbinger + Vanity's Fiend that will negate Eclipse, but the OCGers have also played Ancient Spell Fragrance considering this deck can play Spells from grave and get around ASF, once you have setup.

3) relies on Lava Golem, and perhaps even Interrupted Kaiju Slumber, and Terrortop.

One of the cool things about Kirin is you can take it with Enchantment and XYZ into a Rank 6 with Amdusc. I think Photon Bounzer negates Kirin and Alk, so that's good.

And obviously, things like Magic Deflector (vs Twister, Cyclone, Hangar, Fullmetalfoes Fusion, Book of Eclipse, SoCL, Brilliant Fusion, etc. ) or Dark Illusion, if you think back to Evilswarm days RE protecting Ophion from targeting, eg. Tsuk.

4) This isn't as true because you have a Toon Table of Contents for your Destiny Draw. You should also play other impact cards (Vanity, Viruses), or play more Nasten who you can SS and copy without Contact.

---------------

There are cards like Galaxy Queen's Light which greatly increase the ceiling of this deck, going into Lancelot, the Dark Matter or Spider packages.

FVFRYTHFNG    343
7 hours ago, buckwheatloaf said:

this deck is a good deck to use springs in too =D 

bunbuku_720.png

• Upvote 4

Blacklisted    1327
9 hours ago, victor said:

For what it's worth, in the OCG, Darklords have been one of the few non-Zoodiac decks to top, as more than one-offs, in the OCG due to side-decked King Tiger Wanghu and Bat Blight Virus.

-----------

Regarding 1 and 2, the deck can play stuff like Herald of Orange/Green Light so you can disrupt and destroy the opponent going 2nd.

Regarding 2, the ideal is you can make Totem Bird or Lancelot or Hope Harbinger + Vanity's Fiend that will negate Eclipse, but the OCGers have also played Ancient Spell Fragrance considering this deck can play Spells from grave and get around ASF, once you have setup.

3) relies on Lava Golem, and perhaps even Interrupted Kaiju Slumber, and Terrortop.

One of the cool things about Kirin is you can take it with Enchantment and XYZ into a Rank 6 with Amdusc. I think Photon Bounzer negates Kirin and Alk, so that's good.

And obviously, things like Magic Deflector (vs Twister, Cyclone, Hangar, Fullmetalfoes Fusion, Book of Eclipse, SoCL, Brilliant Fusion, etc. ) or Dark Illusion, if you think back to Evilswarm days RE protecting Ophion from targeting, eg. Tsuk.

4) This isn't as true because you have a Toon Table of Contents for your Destiny Draw. You should also play other impact cards (Vanity, Viruses), or play more Nasten who you can SS and copy without Contact.

---------------

There are cards like Galaxy Queen's Light which greatly increase the ceiling of this deck, going into Lancelot, the Dark Matter or Spider packages.

Surely if the solutions to the issues I addressed were that simple and effective, the deck would be making more of a competitive splash. Its just that other decks right now do way more unfair things and does it more consistently.

mark    3104
28 minutes ago, Blacklisted said:

Surely if the solutions to the issues I addressed were that simple and effective, the deck would be making more of a competitive splash. Its just that other decks right now do way more unfair things and does it more consistently.

If you have problems with the solutions suggested by victor then that's a fair stand to take, because for example he names 30 cards and you can't ever fit them all in, and I can think of other problems with them as well such as some of the mentioned cards being only good when the opponent has the specific out, and others being only good 1st or 2nd and a bunch of them not being engine cards etc, but please explain your problems with them. Saying 'it doesn't work because it doesn't top already' automatically disqualifies yourself from ever inventing or improving decks to the point where you create the meta: because you're only doing what's already been done. We can all see if the deck tops or not, there's no added value in continuously stating what we already know. 

• Upvote 2

»victor    6396

On that note, people should give serious consideration to Book of Eclipse in here, maindecked.

It does all the stuff it normally does in other decks going second, but here it also lets you turn off Kristiya and continue to SS.

The cool thing about it is you can end with Hope Harbinger who protects your facedowns.

---------

Another card is Psi-Blocker as your Normal Summon, so you can bait and force plays through.

• Upvote 1

»victor    6396

This deck is continuing to top, as evidenced by https://youtu.be/wZPccQr44oY

I do think that this deck is flying under the radar and people are sleeping on it, because it obviously had success in the OCG, and it's not just because they have 3 Viruses and we don't. 

Obviously Desires and Ixchel playsets makes this deck pricey and out of the range of budget players, but from a technical standpoint, this deck has significant advantages in the meta/format:

1) Can create fields that are immune to being Kaiju'd, and you can protect Vanity/Kristya with Super Dora or Hope Harbinger

2) Dimensional Barrier does very little against this deck

3) Does not care about the Normal Summon so this is the best deck that can play Lava Golem

Come D/D/D time in January, everybody is going to be playing the above cards to beat the Siegfried + Crystal Wing setup, but they build for that deck, and those cards are deadweight vs this one.

And beyond that, there's some cool techs that people have discovered like Glow Up Bulb that let you make Omega, so you can retrieve DL cards banished by Desires to grave for reuse and generate Tribute fodder for Vanity's Fiend, and you can play The Monarchs Storm Forth, which is still a devastating card with Amdusc or Fiend.

And when people side in Dark Hole and Raigeki, you can bring in SLR or THRiO. And if people sideout Twin-Twister because all of your maindeck S/T is chainable, you can bring in better hate like Solemns or ASF, Stygian. 

+mmf    23271

people are already playing kaijus and d barrier to beat the stuff we already have and darklords still suck tho

+mmf    23271

one of the decks i played at the local i attended the other day was herald+darklord which got me thinking

i haven't fleshed out my opinions on that yet but i'm probably going to because it looked cute

dexer008    804

^ Sounds clunky to me. You're essentially going to try and combine two combo decks and hope you get the draw cards to work together and the ritual spell with herald together too. Granted the lv6 guy is better in this version, but you'd need 2 heralds to fuel one ritual summon, or run more lv6 fairies to have enough lv6's in deck to make the summon work consistently.

Then again you could run some lv2's and lv4's like manju and orange light to also go that route, but thats too many cards I think.

»victor    6396
On 12/31/2016 at 8:41 AM, mmf said:

people are already playing kaijus and d barrier to beat the stuff we already have and darklords still suck tho

So I looked into this gap a bit and these are the differences between the OCG and the TCG, concerning this deck.

They have:

3 Upstart Goblin, Card Destruction - even more drawpower than us, and Card Destruction lets you dump Darklord cards and dig
Monster Reborn  - 4th Contact that lets you revive in ATK mode
Harpie's Feather Duster - more S/T destruction, but your DL Traps are chainable or played from hand via Nasten or grave, so you have an edge there
Super Polymerization - you can go into Starving Venom Fusion Dragon vs enemy Darks like Dark Law, you can break other fields as well, e.g. vs Metalfoes. And that is another card this deck is immune against.
3 EEV, maybe this is a bigger deal than I gave credit for earlier, because declaring Spell means the opponent can't just side in BoE, SoCL, Dark Hole, Raigeki and call it a day.

----------

One difference between now and January end will be D/D Savant Thomas + Kali Yuga making D/D/Ds much stronger vs Metalfoes, so more DDDs at major events means this deck is better, as TCG side that deck will be more inclined to play Radian with 3 Allures.

It's like you build to beat Metalfoes, but die to this deck, if folks can exploit that niche, this deck will have success.

»victor    6396

Another Top 8 for this deck, at a 160 person regional: https://youtu.be/NLcfBbaya40

----------

Now that D/D/D decks have been topping (https://youtu.be/c_ja7PVwhqw) one factor is how the TCG only has 2 Maxx C to stop them from going off.

However, this deck has access to Herald of Orange Light, so that can not only stop them from going off, but also break existing boards when they try to negate.

Another point worth noting is how stuff like Enchantment can steal Dragulas to overlay for Gaia Charger - that card is typically very difficult to kill for most decks.

And Siegfried cannot negate the in grave S/T of Darklords.

I wonder if folks will play Into the Void for even more drawpower to dump S/T and play COTHs, and such. You'd play fewer Nasten and more Amdusc or Tezca.

---------

Post Zoodiacs, if we get Hiruko, this is one of the best decks for them cuz from 1 card, you can make Kagutsuchi + Bullhorn -> Hiruko -> Tsukiyomi, giving you 2 draws, and mill 5. 

That lets us make up for Card Destruction, and other cards the OCG has, but we don't.

You also have the side-effect of Elemental Triangle popping Vanity Fiend if you want to continue to make plays. 

Candela    546

I haven't been following the game too closely as of late. Why are Darklords good against D/D/D?

»victor    6396
26 minutes ago, Candela said:

I haven't been following the game too closely as of late. Why are Darklords good against D/D/D?

I've listed a few reasons why on this page, but to reiterate, beyond Vanity Fiend Turbo,

1) The deck doesn't care about the NS, so you can play Lava Golem, as a Trade In target as well, vs DDD boards.

2) Enchantment is super effective vs DDD boards as they are good levels to XYZ with and Tribute fodder.

3) Decks will be playing Dimensional Barrier for mirror and Metalfoes, but that is deadweight vs this deck. In fact, in OCG, Darklords caused a dropoff in DBarrier in the first place.

»victor    6396

So as it turns out, Darklords have some advantages when playing Zoodiacs over other decks.

Namely, they actually benefit from playing Exodius to recycle your Zoos, and have the drawpower to dig for it.

Beyond Allure of Darkness, Exodius being LV 10 means you can Rank 10 with Ixchel for Super Dora (protect Vanity's Fiend), Ravenous Tarantula OTKs, etc.

You can also search Beast King Barbaros with Broadbull so you have a searchable LV 8 Normal Summon, for more Trade In targets!

Which means you can Giantrainer with Contact Superbia into Zerato (that BKB could have been a Bearman for the standard Zoo combo).

And if you Rank 8 into Felgrand you can negate/reset BKB to 3000K attack.

This is in addition to Kagatsuchi for milling 5, and stealing Zoos to stack.

»victor    6396

So this deck is still topping, possibly due to Full Force Virus.

http://yugiohtopdecks.com/deck/5980

http://yugiohtopdecks.com/deck/5946

One of the more interesting cards is Sphere of Chaos  , which while not a total lock like Vanity's Fiend, lets you search a Hand Trap (also Terrortop), so you can continue to Special Summon, while having a Darklord S/T in grave + hand trap in hand.

A lot of 1 Tribute monsters are better now because you can Enchantment into Tributes.

----------------

But perhaps the best card people are sleeping on is:

300?cb=20170223194148

Being able to Normal Summon this and use (dead) DEF mode Darklords, or mismatched levels from Superbia from hand or field to make:

300?cb=20170223194226300?cb=20161105031058300?cb=20170223194250

All 3 cards are extremely good, but you have anti-destruction now, which is something the deck lacked before.

1) This is one of the few DARK decks that can make and recur Greedy Venom

2) You also benefit from Kaijus + Starving Venom, to OTK

3) Chimerafflesia floats into Instant Fusion, for TER or Norden (think GOSR), or possibly Hecatrice which dumps itself as a LV 4, and so on. There's a range of Poly and Fusion cards that you can break, e.g. Re-Fusion, not to mention a lot of niche Normal Summons like the Performapal Trumps or Curse of Dragonfire

+mmf    23271

i'm really optimistic about all of those cards, but not in darklords. we gotta wait a little bit longer for macr >:^)

Mr Dragon    295

I wouldn't use a 15th place in an OTS tournament and a 22nd place at a regionals as evidence that the deck is still topping. 

I tried playing this deck a bit with Zoo cards because it's an engine that doesn't lose to mass removal, has a lot of draw power and also searchable defensive cards. It didn't quite work, there's too many problems with the Darklord engine - the biggest being that it's extremely weak going second and too inefficient. I can't see a version of this deck without the Zoo engine being any better.