victor

Darklord - Discussion

84 posts in this topic

Strike on nasten or ixchel is a really big deal since they discard as cost and I was finding the situations where you could summon a darklord and search a trap and the level 9 that protects that weren't coming up as often as I'd like. Also since we were using the zoo part of the deck to unbrick the darklord part with giantrainer or kagutsuchi, it meant that barrier was still good against the deck when it normally wouldn't be against pure darklords. 

One of the more interesting plays this deck has is being able to play Lullaby of Obedience, Wiseman's Chalice, or Autonomous Action Unit into Terrortop or Zoodiac Ratpier, because 1) you have the drawpower to dig for it, and you like LP loss cards, because it furthers a win condition: Ravenous Tarantula, and you can make it with Exodius, so you can have more recycling than the typical Zoodiac deck, beyond your own Terrortop and Ratpier.

LV 10 Tragoedia works as well with the drawpower, being LV 10, works with both the level modulation to XYZ with, and the stealing to stack with, and you have the drawpower to double Reckless Greed.

Maybe it's just because people don't expect those cards, but they are 1 card options that unbrick you.

I mean that #35 is crazy, Leeching the Light + Raigeki together, and Burn damage.

-------------

Advanced Draw can help when they DBarrier you, and you get more value out of Kristya and Superbia. You can play Amdusc better and use it to manipulate the grave to drop Kristya.

Stuff like Chaos Hunter works vs Infernoids and Invoked, and you can play Sword of Seven Stars with Nasten, and maybe something like Gorz? If there are better LV 7s? DAD?

------------------------

Phantom of Chaos copies Darklord effects so it's cute, and it's a LV 4 for Norden. It's like a Normal Summon Darklord.

-------------------

I've also noticed that Foolish Burial Goods adds to this deck.  You can toobox Darklord S/T.

You can also dump Toy Vendor to ROTA, and this deck can afford the Normal Summon for Dog, Bear, Wings, and Herald of Orange Light, dumps Fairies and gives the deck the edge over Maxx C and GoSR.  Also Kristya can be SSed via Toy Vendor.

The Polymerization aspect also ties into Starving Venom, etc. but not sure how far I'd want to take it.

Bumping this up because Darklords are one of the better decks heading into this new format.

1) It is the uniquely positioned deck that can maindeck Denko Sekka as its Normal Summon (and dig for it), and in a format where Maxx C went to 1, a lot of Special Summon decks are getting a second look at life, only to be stunned by Vanity's Fiend. And Lost Wind is dead in that case, and they can't Marella since you can go without Extra Deck.

2) If Infernoids are also going to be popular, consider that this deck can play Chaos Hunter, and it being LV 7 DARK to coincide with Nasten, and Allure of Darkness, possibly even Sacred Sword of Seven Stars, Kaiju Radian, being another LV 7 DARK fitting those criteria (and you can Enchant it back for a Rank 7). And that is besides the fact, that this deck can Normal Summon Barrier Statue of the Abyss, Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer, play Jinzo (Jector), and so on. You can double down on Paleozoic and Infernoid hate, and everything else is just an engine.

(Dark Illusion can provide targeting protection vs Paleo Traps or Drident).

3) But perhaps, most importantly, this deck is getting Darklord Ukoback and with Foolish Burial Goods, you have cards you didn't have before to toolbox your entire lineup, so playing that nontargeting Brain Control to steal/disrupt and stack/Tribute, is more consistent.

I half wonder if you could play 60 and play Grass Looks Greener with COTH for Kristya, Darklords and so on. Ukoback dumping a DL to revive and cycle S/T effects during both player's turns is something this deck didn't have before.

300?cb=20170330172149

So this card is a boost to Darklords.

It's a Turn 1 floodgate that shuts down Paleozoics, and the last effect lets you reuse Ixchel and make your draw cards live.

Destroying backrow and Stunning Extra Deck monsters are also worth mentioning.

------------

Another point in favor of Darklords now, is Call of the Haunted on Superbia is live more often now, and that's significant because it lets you revive Superbia in Attack mode with 2900 ATK, backed by Kristya or Ixchel, and that extra damage on board makes a difference. I bet you could probably even play Card Trooper in here to make Contact and COTH live and it beats over Daigusto Emeral, works under DBarrier and beats Strike.

------------

Concerning DD Crow, I think that Darklord Contact doesn't target so if even if they Crow one DL, you can still revive another (correct me if I'm wrong).

I was reading back on what I wrote months ago, and I think it's a lot more relevant now, because you can counterside/main them outright.

On 12/11/2016 at 0:04 PM, victor said:

Moreover, together with cards like Allure of Darkness, Gold Sarcophagus, Tribute Burial, and Dark Creator, you could play DDR, Miraculous Descent, and Escape from the Dark Dimension.

Either by playing LIGHT Dimensional Alchemist to retrieve what was Banished or Allure'd or because of:

300?cb=20170223194607

This can be your Normal Summon.

I'm thinking you'd make it more LIGHT focused for Mechaba, Miraculous Descent Kristya, or play Ghost Ogre, Herald of Orange Light, etc.

Keep in mind that you can Banish Aleister for Tribute Burial and use Invocation to get it back to hand, so you can do things like Darklord Zerato, add Aleister (a DARK monster) to hand for Raigeki effect.

Caliga is double-edged, but the EARTH Invoked is LV 8 for Rank 8s (using their Zoodiacs), you can probably make the WIND one off Speedroids and so on.

I've just been messing around with a Zoo variant recently, and it's shown good results. Zoo engine helps the darklord engine find its missing piece, and superbia bringing back Norden gives you two emerals. I like the idea of coth in this deck a lot. Especially if krystia is included.

Posted (edited)

Getting reintegrated into the game and while examining the current meta game I feel this deck has decent potential to compete. It's biggest positive imo is it's draw power and ability to dig into the deck effectively.

Reading some of the posts in the thread, the general issue with the deck is it's inability to go second effectively. I feel like running a dedicated Kaiju engine will help with this considerably not to mention the ability to create a board after clearing theirs with Kaiju/Lava Golem.

As a side note Reasoning seems like a staple in this deck since it doesn't take up your normal summon allows you to get some S/T in the grave while deck thinning and the versatility of the levels in this deck make it unlikely for the opponent to guess the correct number.

Herald of Orange Light also gives this deck some versatility in the fact that it can protect your board after you've set up and help prevent it from letting them set up going second. The potential issue I see is drawing it after they've set up their board. Although if you can break their board via Kaijus etc. and then create a board then it allows you to protect yourself from their second push. It is also a Tuner and with the lack of a NS can allow for some other plays to made in a pinch via Synchro.

Edited by Jvizzle87

One of the main reasons people aren't considering Darklords right now is that cards like Vanity's Fiend and Kristya aren't useful vs True Dracos.

However, one card that works well vs them is:

300?cb=20160805081235

This card is notable since it protects your DL fields and your Enchantment does not target, if you play it.

With something like Set Rotation and assorted cards like Seal of Orichalcos, Mausoleum of the Emperor, etc., you can give your True Draco opponent MMBF and shut them down.

Another new interaction that people have recently discovered is:

300?cb=20170429112524300?cb=20170429112513

So you get even more Allure targets, and Sacred Sword of Seven Stars targets, with Nasten, and Darkwurm searches Infinity for Sword.

Posted (edited)

If Krystia and Vanity's aren't good in the main then let's side them and focus those slots on more effective cards. 

One men thing that came to mind was playing a Zoo Darklord variant since the deck doesn't use the normal summon and Zoos are reliant on theirs so they complement each other. Logic being using more monster firepower in place of disruption ala Patrick Hoban's monsters>backrow.

Also what are the point of the Supreme King guys? to spam Darklords from your hand? A cute interaction with them is that they act as a super Valhalla and can actually make Asmodeus summonable. 

Edited by Jvizzle87

So this deck has just shot up incredibly in power level, because of the release of the Timelords.

You could argue that it's par with the top tier right now.

In case you guys don't get it, the deck just got its in-theme Kaiju engine, which is really revolutionary if you think about it. You have much greater synergy and in theme offensive and defensive options.

300?cb=20170705133924300?cb=20140801084024

So one card => 2 Timelords

Now the deck has a better Summon, that you can Foolish Burial and One for One, that is a 100x better than Ukoback.

You have non-targeting removal, that gets around Quick Effect destruction. (It also coincidentally works under Magical Mid-Breaker Field, and Timelords can be Pendulum Summoned via Supreme King Dragon Darkwurm and Supreme King Gate Infinity)

300?cb=20150320150225300?cb=20170705133837

But beyond that, you can draw 3 cards out of the blue: 

300?cb=20170705133416300?cb=20161117190948

And that's just the tip of the iceberg,

300?cb=20160407105743300?cb=20161117191822

So you can drop Timelords that don't die and wall for you, and you have in-theme LV 10 to Rank 10 with (|:|)

Not to mention, you can revive Timelords with Superbia!

And the most notable thing of all, is none of this is affected by Link format...

17 hours ago, victor said:

So this deck has just shot up incredibly in power level, because of the release of the Timelords.

You could argue that it's par with the top tier right now.

In case you guys don't get it, the deck just got its in-theme Kaiju engine, which is really revolutionary if you think about it. You have much greater synergy and in theme offensive and defensive options.

300?cb=20170705133924300?cb=20140801084024

So one card => 2 Timelords

Now the deck has a better Summon, that you can Foolish Burial and One for One, that is a 100x better than Ukoback.

You have non-targeting removal, that gets around Quick Effect destruction. (It also coincidentally works under Magical Mid-Breaker Field, and Timelords can be Pendulum Summoned via Supreme King Dragon Darkwurm and Supreme King Gate Infinity)

300?cb=20150320150225300?cb=20170705133837

But beyond that, you can draw 3 cards out of the blue: 

300?cb=20170705133416300?cb=20161117190948

And that's just the tip of the iceberg,

300?cb=20160407105743300?cb=20161117191822

So you can drop Timelords that don't die and wall for you, and you have in-theme LV 10 to Rank 10 with (|:|)

Not to mention, you can revive Timelords with Superbia!

And the most notable thing of all, is none of this is affected by Link format...

How many Timelords do you think is worth playing? 3 Maiden is a given, but there are a lot of lords to choose from (although Metaion, Kamion and Zaphion immediately stand out). Sephylon might also be alright since it can revive cards and make them 4000.

Sephylon is underwhelming because it doesn't have 0 ATK.

You also have Foolish Burial and One for One so that's 5 Maidens.

https://ygorganization.com/shakingshakinginmysoultenshitoakuma/

It kind of depends how you want to go with the deck, e.g. if you look at the OCG, you can play Contract with Don Thousand for dealing 3K damage with Lazion and the drawpower just adds even more to what Darklords already do (and the Normal Summon restriction doesn't bother Darklords). You can end in Gustav Max and that deals 5K.

But that again is just the tip of what you can do with Lazion, with Time Maiden, you bring out 2 Lazion, so that is another way to 5K.

And maybe Darklord Nurse Burn is the way to go?

-------------

TLDR:

On 3/2/2017 at 7:20 AM, Mr Dragon said:

I tried playing this deck a bit with Zoo cards because it's an engine that doesn't lose to mass removal, has a lot of draw power and also searchable defensive cards. It didn't quite work, there's too many problems with the Darklord engine - the biggest being that it's extremely weak going second and too inefficient. I can't see a version of this deck without the Zoo engine being any better.  

Timelords essentially solve that problem...

Posted (edited)

I have been trying this Timelord concept and I like it. The biggest problem is that the Timelords have 0 atk, and I'm drawing their engine so much that I'm not having as high damage output as I would like. For the Timelords, I started with:

3 Time Maiden
3 Metaion

1 Kamion
1 Zaphion
1 Foolish Burial
1 One for One

With some testing I found that Zaphion was a huge blowout at times against True Draco so I cut the Kamion for another Zaphion and am toying with bumping up to the third Zaphion. The deck can get past Master Peace using Superdreadnought Rail Canon Super Dora, although it can be tough to summon sometimes due to Time Maiden's restriction meaning you can't just drop Ixchel and a Timelord as easy. You can however just normal summon a Timelord, revive Ixchel and make it if you've baited Master Peace first.

People lose resources really fast against these Timelords which is nice because it lets me play a more passive game where I just summon one, clear their cards and have the option to pass, knowing they can't destroy my Timelord easily means I'm perfectly safe for next turn. Metaion is strong against Zoodiac for clearing their monsters without losing to Zoodiac Drident, and Zaphion is good against True Draco. You might say this deck is a good meta pick.

Herald of Orange Light and Herald of Green Light have been useful for me. I previously had Ash Blossom & Joyous Sring instead of Herald of Green Light but Green destroying Dragonic Diagram made it that much more valuable to me. Being able to discard a Darklord Superbia or Time Maiden means I have good discard fodder as well.

Advance Draw is probably a staple at 3 because clearing their cards with Zaphion before tributing it to draw 3 is such a huge tempo swing in your favor and it's usually game deciding. It's one of the reasons I'm seriously tempted to go up to 3 Zaphion; this play and the stronger True Draco matchup.

As for the Darklords I tried to streamline it to have only the cards that really help me make those big plays. You need 3 Ixchel, 3 Superbia and Nasten seemed necessary to me just to let me put damage on the board, something I mentioned this version has some trouble with. It might be better to cut Nasten for something else though. I have 1 Amdusc because I reasoned that it lets me play through Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring if they negate my Contact With The Darklords but it might not be necessary, I just don't really know what else to put in right now.

I'll post my list below for reference. If anyone can figure out how to increase the damage output or at least let you spam a little more with the little space available I would love to hear it. Not dealing enough damage due to the Timelords having 0 atk points is my biggest problem right now. Maybe that Lazion idea is worth trying, although I don't know if turning this into a burn deck is really the best way to play it.

gwRz6g7.png?1

I'd say the things I'm really thinking about changing Amdusc and the 3 copies of Nasten. I like the rest of the deck right now.

Edited by NB96

Remember, a big source of damage output, comes from the Extra Deck, as you can play Ravenous Tarantula as your Rank 10, which lets you Raigeki the board, and boost all your monsters.

0/0

2 Level 10 monsters

All monsters you control gain ATK and DEF equal to the difference between your LP and your opponent's. While this card has Xyz Material, each time your opponent Special Summons a monster(s), inflict 600 damage to your opponent. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; destroy all face-up monsters your opponent controls with ATK less than or equal to this card's.

The ability to fallback to Sadion, the Timelord to have 4000 LP, means we can aggressively play Solemns and have them risk death at all times.

Solemn Scolding negates Summons so it stops Master Peace as well.

------------

You can also consider playing The Calculator since Contact Superbia Ixchel => 8+10+2 = 20, or 6000 ATK + 2500 (from Ixchel) = 8500 damage on board. 

Note that we have Exodius and Tragoedia as more LV 10s and Swordsman of Revealing Light is a Sakuretsu Armor + LV 8 for Advanced Draw and Rank 8s.

Posted (edited)

I have also been thinking about Darklord Morningstar as a way to spam into Xyz cards. I also moved one Metaion to the sidedeck and bumped Zephion to 3.

I've lost several matches in a row now but at least two of those were winnable, I just kept banishing immediately Maiden when I needed to normal one Timelord then special the other to clear their entire field.

I think the best way to play this might be to increase the Darklord engine size because right now they just aren't giving me anything offensively; it's basically just a Timelord deck for me right now.

Edited by NB96

Playing Glow-Up Bulb gives you another way to get the draw off Zaphion, and it makes Star Eater which increases your damage output.

It lets you convert your DEF mode Superbia into Giganticastle (3100 ATK) or Vermillion Dragon Mech (Hyperion effect floats GUB) so it gives you another way of putting damage on the board.

D/D Lamia and Dark Contract with the Gate gives you a Special Summonable LV 1 Tuner, and extra Gates aren't dead draws because you can use it to revive Lamia. Vermilion Dragon Mech also floats the RFGed Lamia.

Posted (edited)

With the inclusion of so many light monsters a possibility is playing BLS to give you more offense.

i think GUB is a nice way to add offense to the deck without dedicating a lot of main deck space. 

Also so due to the fact that you're paying 1000 to use DL effects and can get low on life you can run a copy of Sadion to keep your life stable.

Edited by Jvizzle87

Playing the Supreme King engine might be pretty cool. I still feel like the deck can hard brick though, so maybe still worth playing the Level 3 Darklord. That way you have 6 normal summons, which aren't too bad.

1 hour ago, Hoodwink said:

Playing the Supreme King engine might be pretty cool. I still feel like the deck can hard brick though, so maybe still worth playing the Level 3 Darklord. That way you have 6 normal summons, which aren't too bad.

Well, this is one of the bait cards that this deck has:

LightentheLoad-DR3-EN-C-UE

Especially with Time Maiden adding a LV 10 to hand, that you can trade in for another card (or even return to deck to bring out with its Banish effect), and the Supreme Gates being LV 7 that Darkwurm searches out, and the Darklords themselves being searched out with Contact.

2 hours ago, victor said:

Well, this is one of the bait cards that this deck has:

LightentheLoad-DR3-EN-C-UE

Especially with Time Maiden adding a LV 10 to hand, that you can trade in for another card (or even return to deck to bring out with its Banish effect), and the Supreme Gates being LV 7 that Darkwurm searches out, and the Darklords themselves being searched out with Contact.

Did some testing with the Pend engine and it doesn't seem worth it. Timelords are strong. Darklords are pretty good once they get going, but getting to that point seems difficult. It just seems difficult to start the engine sometimes.

The turn you special summon maiden from hand to add a time-lord, you can't banish it from grave right? That makes it a bit awkward to clear boards with it since they can just destroy maiden on summon with master peace/drident and they're safe for another turn if you didn't draw the time lord anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Dunko_Sekka said:

The turn you special summon maiden from hand to add a time-lord, you can't banish it from grave right? That makes it a bit awkward to clear boards with it since they can just destroy maiden on summon with master peace/drident and they're safe for another turn if you didn't draw the time lord anyway. 

You can special summon Time Maiden and banish it from the graveyard for it's effect during the same turn. It only states that you can't summon other monsters, not including itself.

I thought it meant monsters other than the time lord you summon via the banish effect. 

4 hours ago, Dunko_Sekka said:

That's why you normal summon maiden against drident.

2 hours ago, Dunko_Sekka said:

I thought it meant monsters other than the time lord you summon via the banish effect. 

You might be right thinking about it. I don't know if I misinterpreted the text. It's a little ambiguous.

4 hours ago, NB96 said:

You might be right thinking about it. I don't know if I misinterpreted the text. It's a little ambiguous.

He's right, you can't SS Maiden if you used her grave eff. Something I find is that leaving 1 Timelord out often isn't very good, as they can just Castel it away or use a myriad of other removal options.  On a side note, how well would timelords work with cyber angels? You can use the field to recycle and special summon the level 10 Angel which is actually pretty good and can OTK by itself.