rap tap

computer restarting unprompted, man yells

+rap tap    20145

So recently, about a month ago, my computer started restarting with no warning whatsoever. I play Overwatch, and this was happening while queuing for competitive games, which, due to my computer restarting, would get me temporary suspensions and ranked points loss because I would stay in the queue despite my computer rebooting. So I did my research and tried to apply fixes and so far, none of the fixes have worked. In order:
- I tried downloading an updated version of BIOS for my ASUS Z97-A and updated it in the BIOS menu
- I uninstalled and reinstalled my graphic card's driver software in safe mode (AMD RADEON R9 380 Series)
- I replaced the thermal paste on my CPU and re-mounted my heatsink (Hyper 212EVO Cooler Master)
- I reinstalled my OS (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, 6.1 Build 7601) and that only solved the problem for about 2 days. 

I've been focusing on finals, but now that I'm done I wanna turn my full attention to this issue, because I've had 10 restarts alone tonight, and it's making my otherwise very good computer very frustrating to use. I gave the computer to microcenter to do hardware diagnostic tests and apparently all of it passes, and they re-installed the OS as well. Oh, and I also can't update Windows right now, but that's kind of a miscellaneous error. Here's all my specs. Help me out here, I'm dying.

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 380
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A
BIOS: Ver. 25.01 (4/27/15)
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 20480MB RAM 2 8 GB sticks, 1 4 GB stick, all G.Skill Ripjaws
Heat Sink: Hyper 212EVO Cooler Master
Hard Drive: 2 TB Hitachi HUA723020ALA641
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250G SCSI Disk Device
Power Supply: EVGA NEX750G/650G 80 PLUS GOLD

I'll post anything else if you feel this isn't sufficient info

+rap tap    20145

i moved this to general because tech support doesn't even bump recent topics

ensane    166

If the place you gave it to checked the power connections, the only other thing I could think of is a RAM issue. Might be one of those "buy a new machine due to ghosts" problems.

+rap tap    20145

microcenter said all my hardware passed their stress test and my power supply was melted inside :^)

replaced it and fixed the problem so mad

• Upvote 1

+rei+    35374

yeah this was an early warning of my psu dying - it can also exist in psus not being able to handle load... or gpu driver issues.

Most resets are bluescreens that just go so fast you cant read em / notice them so always check the Event Viewer for any potential details - a power failure isn't really a bsod the same way a graphics driver forced reset would be and it can help narrow shit down. 

• Upvote 1