62 posts in this topic

If there's anything missing, please post it and I'll add it into the OP. Also screw pictures, might add them later but I figured I've waited long enough to put this thread up.

The idea of the Paleozoic deck is pretty simple: You play some frogs to make Toadally Awesome, which is the boss monster of the deck, and then you play a bunch of traps to protect it. What makes the deck is the fact that every Paleozoic trap has a 2nd effect where it can special summon itself from the graveyard as a lv2 water monster, so you can make even more Toadally Awesome's, besides making other rank 2's. This solves 2 big problems that 'summon floodgate, set 5 traps end' decks used to have in the past: Not being able to break fields, and running out of gas. Because of the rank 2-toolbox the deck essentially is, your extra deck can get rid of any on-field threat, and because the traps are all floaters and Ronintoadin keeps summoning itself: you get free summons each turn as well, which you can then turn into either defensive or offensive XYZ's depending on the situation.

The traps

There are 8 different Paleozoic traps, and their effects reminds us of cards we already know - because why think of new cards when people prefer the old ones anyway, right? Each Paleozoic trap card has the following effect:

• "Once per Chain, when a Trap Card is activated while this card is in your graveyard: Special Summon this card as a Normal Monster (Aqua-Type/WATER/level 2/ATK 1200/DEF 0). (This card is NOT treated as a Trap Card.) If summoned this way, this card is unaffected by monster effects, also banish it when it leaves the field."

In addition to their own unique effects:

Paleozoic "Karma Cut" Dinomischus 

• Target 1 face-up card on the field; discard 1 card, and if you do, banish it.

Paleozoic "Book of Moon" Canadia

• Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; change it to face-down defense position. 

Paleozoic "Rush Recklessly" Eldonia

• Target 1 face-up monster on the field; it gains 500 ATK and DEF until the end of this turn. 

Paleozoic "Shrink" Hallucigenia

• Target 1 face-up monster on the field; its ATK and DEF become half its current ATK and DEF until the end of this turn. 

Paleozoic "Burial from a a Different Dimension but not quite" Leanchoilia 

• Target 1 banished card; return it to the graveyard. 

Paleozoic "Foolish Burial for traps" Marrela

• Send 1 Trap Card from your Deck to the Graveyard.

Paleozoic "MST" Olenoides

• Target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy it. 

Paleozoic "Destiny Draw" Pikaia

• Discard 1 "Paleozoic" card, then draw 2 cards.

The Frogs

Now all these traps have one other thing in common as well: they're all still traps. They won't do shit during the turn you set them, so to make the deck do anything worthwhile during the first turn, we play a little Frog engine along them:

Swap Frog
Ronintoadin
Dupe Frog

The plan here is to always open Swap Frog, because it sucks dick if you don't, but hey, that's just yugioh I guess. Alternatively you can set Dupe Frog and just pray it goes through, so you'll be able to search the Swap for next turn anyway. You use Swap Frog's normal and special summon effect to get a bunch of water's in the grave, which then allows for Ronintoadin to keep summoning itself while making a bunch of rank 2's. They're aqua, so they can make Toadally Awesome as well. 

More traps

Waboku
Compulsory Evacuation Device
Dimension Barrier

These traps provide some defense so you won't die soon, and they can be activated at any time meaning they can trigger each Palezoic's graveyard effect to special summon itself. Waboku is mostly just there to protect your Toadally Awesome and your other Paleozoic XYZ's, so you can use their effects multiple times and proceed to destroy your opponent. 

Breakthrough Skill
Playing the lone copy of Breakthrough Skill means that you can send it to the graveyard with Paleozoic Marrela when necessary, which is relevant because Paleozoic Marrela can be added to your hand with Paleozoic Opabinia, which can be made at any point.

Reckless Greed
Since this is a trap deck anyway, you can get away with playing cards like this, it can also be used at any time to trigger the Palezoic's graveyards effects.

The deck is then added with staples, often consisting of:
Pot of Desires
Maxx "C"
Solemn Strike & Solemn Warning
Any Mirror Forces

Possible sub-engines

• Fiend Griefing + Absolute King Black Jack:

Use Fiend Griefing to disrupt your opponent's play while sending Absolute King Black Jack to the graveyard, which basically turning itself into a set trap card. 

• Genex Undine package:

Genex Undine 
Genex Controller
Allure of Darkness
Common Charity

This is a little engine I thought of: it basically gets you Ronintoadin in the grave, while providing draw power with the Allures/Common Charity's. It probably sucks because it doesn't have enough synergy with the rest of the deck but I felt like it's worth mentioning at least: you could play 1 Deep Sea Diva 1 Atlantean Pikeman alongside it as well, Diva doesn't make Toadally Awesome but it does make the Palezoic xyz's which is still pretty powerful. I'd play Atlantean Heavy Infantry but unfortunately it doesn't get triggered by Swap Frog. 

• Upstart Golden Ninja package

Here's another solid option for a normal summon. Summon it, discard a trap, summon another copy of itself, make Bujintei Tsukuyomi, discard another trap and draw 2 cards, the 2 traps discarded are alread fuel for a rank 2. This engine also provides the option to play another rank 4, to out situations that your rank 2's can't handle. You could play 1 Ninja Grandmaster Hanzo alonside 3 Upstart Golden Ninja to turn a single Upstart Golden Ninja into 2 rank 4's, 1 rank 2, over the course of 2 turns. You do so by searching Hanzo with Upstart, then searching a 2nd Upstart with it, make rank 4, and next turn you summon the 2nd Upstart to search the 3rd and make the 2nd rank 4. The traps that have hit the graveyard will allow for a rank 2 as well.

Extra deck:

Now here's what it's all about. 

Toadally Awesome
The boss monster of this deck. It negates stuff, do I need to say more? 

Paleozoic Anomalocaris
Costs 3 monsters to make, but that's toadally made up for by it's effect: it can destroy a card once during each player's turn, and it also gives you the chance of setting a free trap from the top of your deck if you're lucky. This is exactly the kind of card I like: it's very flexible and can put it a bunch of work. 

Paleozoic Opabinia
Adds any Paleozoic trap card from your deck to your hand once per turn while also giving you the ability to play Paleozoic traps from your hand. Nice way to play around Denko Sekka/Jinzo/Twin Twister, which are real concerns for this deck. 

I'll expand further on the Extra Deck and some other stuff but I'm getting tired, I figured I'll just throw this up right away so we can at least get this discussion going - because this deck is very real, and it's already topping events.

Sample Decklists:

Questions to get this discussion going:
- What to side?
- How to play going 2nd?
- How to play each matchup, and how to build to beat matchups? 
- What techs to play? 

See Billy Brake playing against Paleozoic:

A few quotes from the other thread, although I'm not going to add the 'what to side against this deck' stuff because that probably belongs in the thread of the deck you're playing. 

On 11/29/2016 at 2:19 AM, Candela said:

What I'm having more trouble with is side decking for the mirror. I've found that the mirror boils down to either making Toad before your opponent, or filling your graveyard up with Paleos before your opponent. I've even considered trying Psychic Shockwave to speed up the trap dumping and to shut my opponent out. The problem is that Jinzo alone is a very slow clock if your opponent has Frogs. 

A cute card I've been toying around with in the Graydle Slime Jr. variant is Bubble Bringer. It has a pretty decent stalling effect against decks like Metalfoes and it's a trap that can be activated at any time. The second effect opens up some nutty comeback plays, allowing you to ideally bring out 3 aquas without using your normal summon; it's also pretty easily fueled by Swap Frog/Toadally Awesome. 

On 12/4/2016 at 11:09 PM, victor said:

People shouldn't forget about Chaos Trap Hole to negate the Summon of Jinzo and Denko Sekka.

It also comes in versus LIGHT and DARK decks.

Another card to consider in here is Magic Deflector vs Twister, Cyclone, Hangar, Fullmetalfoes Fusion, Book of Eclipse, SoCL, Brilliant Fusion, etc.

I mean this deck is good because people can even play Marrella + Michief cards to stop ABC, BA, and BEWD from going off. And you can play Breakthrough Skill to negate.

On 12/6/2016 at 9:28 AM, NB96 said:

I don't know about anyone else but I've been using Unexpected Dai in this deck for months and I'm opening with Toadally Awesome pretty often with it. I really like the card, drawing Frog the Jam isn't amazing but you can often Xyz with it, or discard it for Paleozoic Dinomischus.

On 12/12/2016 at 0:36 PM, PSY-Framelord Kappa said:

Yeah it's decent, Upstart is Soft-OPT so if you're comfortable with playing 1 Hanzo (really isn't that awful considering you're going to be setting Dupe/Ronin oftentimes anyway and you can block stuff trying to remove it with traps  to slow roll your way into Upstart in the event you draw it), Opening Upstart + any 3 Traps enables you to acess Tsuk + Raffle T1, Raffle being another way to beat Denko/Jinzo etc. I'm sure there might be a different R4 you could open on T1 Game 1.

Theoretically you could also play more Hanzo and the Freezing Ninjitsu Art Trap which acts as a Pseudo Threatening-Roar in the same vein as Waboku (or Trans/Shadow Sealing but idk if there are any worthwhile targets) but that starts to run into issues because Hanzo is kind of dicks and playing more and more monsters leaves you with less room for non-Paleo traps which are incredibly important in the first couple of turns in the game to set-up. Not to mention that all of the ninjitsu art cards are easily read and even easier to play around.

On 12/12/2016 at 1:58 PM, Carter Wix said:

I thought about the ninja build around ARG Charlotte times its cool but it has major issues mostly being its a very fragile strategy and doesnt really do what you are wanting with the deck which is have multiple traps set with a major play on turn 3

On 12/12/2016 at 3:00 PM, victor said:

http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=107017

^ This guy got 5th place in Philly playing just the Golden Upstarts and nothing else.

On 12/12/2016 at 3:14 PM, PSY-Framelord Kappa said:

Well why would you even consider anything outside of 3 Golden Upstart and 1 Hanzo, I only mentioned the other stuff out of posterity's sake. Upstart->Upstart->Tsuk conflicts with a very low percentage of hands and is completely congruent with the strategy of assembling traps on T1 to take control of the game on T3, Ideally you discard a Paleozoic for Upstart and make up the deficit in advantage with Tsuk. It's not particularly any more fragile than anything else the deck wants to do it's just whether those 3-4 deck slots those cards would take up are comparatively worse than not only what people currently envision as standard but also more left-field choices like Greydle Slime Jr. or Unexpected Dai.

On 12/14/2016 at 1:44 AM, Blacklisted said:

Real question how do you guys side with this deck? What do you side out going first and second? I assume going second you can just cut DB/Stikes and first theres like Maxx C?

How does one optimally play the mirror? I feel that matchup has the most nuances and room for skill than other matchups which are laregely determined by s/t removal

Holding legs? It resets the S/T's basically and on turn 2 makes a "turn one" scenario for yourself. 

Seems only worth if you can make a push too.

I heard about Mask Change 2 and Acid and other cute things too but not sure how effective they are

^ I mentioned earlier mega mobius, seems blow-out if you ask me. Then again jinzo is just infinite easier. 

How have you only just Made this thread and used michael states as a template, when Joshua schmidts was more recent, along with the fact that eugene used the same list and came 3rd also. Plus this is the guy who sided fucking wiretap against metalfoe Jesus Christ. Also the mirror is quite good you just have to think before playing or summoning the traps.

Just now, biki said:

you just have to think 

Well, fuck!

Not trying to be a shit head, I'm genuinely curious why anyone would play this deck if they wanted to win a big tournament? From the results I've seen this deck consistently gets 2nd place. if that's your goal, go for it. It just looks to me like there are other decks in the format that do a better job at winning than this one, which is a shame because I would love a deck featuring dupe frog to win again  

I mean Michael State only lost because he banished all Dupes and Joshua lost to Emptiness and Denko, so it isnt the deck.

23 minutes ago, biki said:

How have you only just Made this thread and used michael states as a template, when Joshua schmidts was more recent, along with the fact that eugene used the same list and came 3rd also. Plus this is the guy who sided fucking wiretap against metalfoe Jesus Christ. Also the mirror is quite good you just have to think before playing or summoning the traps.

If you watch below the video there's a link with 2 recent decklists as well. I figured I just put a few decklists, old or now, to give people ideas and the match was there because the metalfoes v paleozoic matchup seems relevant since metalfoes seems to be the dominant deck atm. As I said, if you feel like there's something that needs to be put there just post it and I'll throw it in. First time I ever made a deck discussion thread and I was kind of having as rush, it's by no means perfect, but it's my opinion that an opening post should only explain the basics for people who are new with the deck, and anything else should be left to discuss about in the thread itself. 

That said, I put in the Joshua Schmidts decklist, and the final match 

6 minutes ago, Mascis said:

Not trying to be a shit head, I'm genuinely curious why anyone would play this deck if they wanted to win a big tournament? From the results I've seen this deck consistently gets 2nd place. if that's your goal, go for it. It just looks to me like there are other decks in the format that do a better job at winning than this one, which is a shame because I would love a deck featuring dupe frog to win again  

If a deck consistenly gets 2nd place then it's probably the best deck. The final is nothing more than just another top 16 match really, so your argument is one in favor of playing this deck. In other words: look up result oriented thinking / variance / luck. Now if a decks only tops but never gets top 4, then you might have a point, but the difference between 1 and 2 is just 1 match really. 

17 minutes ago, Me. said:

Well, fuck!

I mean I know it might be hard for some of you but you just gotta keep trying. The amount of times you see people not taking into account there opps traps in grave as the reason they lose is unreal.

Just by watching the Bochum deck profiles you can get a good idea of what people played for the mirror, but in a nutshell:

• Going 2nd, Mind Control for Downerd
  • Going 1st, people playing Wiretap, which shuffles back to deck, and can't be negated by Toad

There were people who were playing cards like Soul Release to RFG traps, so the opposing Paleo player can't grind.

As far as other cards go, you can play Cherries and DBarrier, and those help other matchups like Toad vs Mermails or obv ABC, and DBarrier lets you grind.

But I think moving forward, decks will be playing Chain Disappearance for Zoodiac anyway, and that's going to kill Frogs :(

About the mirror:

I have a few problems with Mobius the Mega Monarch:
- You're using 2 tribute monsters and Mobius itself to get rid of 3 spell/trap cards, while you could have just made a xyz while having an MST/Twin Twister in hand, just to name something, which would have also gotten rid of 2/3 cards.
- Doesn't do shit going 1st, while a T1 Jinzo/Denko Sekka can lock the opponent out. 
- Wasted 2 cards if your opponent Solemns it. Same is true for Denko Sekka/Psychic Shockwave+Jinzo, but these only cost 1 card instead of 3 to make. 

I guess what it's got going for it is that it actually gets rid of the cards rather than freeze them, because if your opponent can deal with your monsters with their monsters, then their trap line-up becomes live as well. But even going 2nd it's not good because there's no way to even summon it until after you've set your traps. I don't see how it's worth it. 

I think I just like Twin Twister: flexible and usable in a wide range of match-ups, simple, effective, can be set to bait opposing MST's/the MST trap/their xyz eff, discarding cards isn't really a bad thing either.

Cosmic Cyclone: Used by Joshua Schmidt, don't think this card is bad but at the same time it's not giving you any advantage either, just a 1 for 1 that's good against a wide range of decks. 

On Denko Sekka/Jinzo, I guess they are a blow-out but since they freeze your own traps as well it comes down to who draws the most monsters. Their extra deck can easily deal with Denko Sekka/Jinzo, and then you're fucked because your traps can't protect them. The only way this kind of side works is when you're siding out traps and siding in monster heavy stuff, or other ways to protect these fuckers, but the mirror isn't big enough to dedicate your entire side to it. 

I like Mind Control - Downerd because it actually deals with Paleozic Opabinia, which literally just says 'screw anything that's supposed to kill S/T's, I now play everything from hand'. You also probably need outs to field anyway since the xyz's are unaffected by monster effects, and they're probably siding to counter your s/t's as well so you can't rely on them going off. 

That said I feel like most of these cards mentions are very situational, and they're only good if you go 1st or 2nd, or your opponent does or does not draw this and that etc. because if one thing goes wrong then it doesn't work anymore. Would be nice to see some reliable cards that aren't so dependent on what your opponent has. Probably that would just be grinding better than your opponent and playing a few good cards such as Mind Control/Raigeki to deal with going 2nd, then trusting on your playing skill to carry you the game. By the way, do you really need to side cards for going 1st anymore, when going 1st you are just so far ahead already? 

Problem with Denko and Jinzo are that they're not that good unless you can push because they don't get over the XYZ's.

Mind Control seems pretty cool.

Mask Change 2 into Acid seems really cute but loses to Dinomischus and I think Canadia depending on MC2's text which I don't know off the top of my head

Soul Release seems too niche.

Paleozoics seem to struggle to beat boss monsters apparently. Was watching a game at locals and they just couldn't touch a Dark Destroyer

They got a lot of removal but everything targets. Guess your best bet against Dark Destroyer is having a Solemn before they play it or the sided in Raigeki/Dark Hole. If dealing with monsters proves that problematic at some point you can just play the Mirror Forces as well, which some people are already doing. 

Cat shark + Toad/Rank 2 + Strike is also an out. But yea dark lord, bewd and kozmo are all not good match ups, because the Deck can struggle to get over big monsters.

Why do people play Dante in extra over Mithrilium or something. Surely 3 searchable Dinomischus is enough to deal with BA.

One neat tech is how Dark Dust Spirit wipes the field and doesn't affect Paleozoics cuz they have immunity. And Mischief of the Gnomes lets you Normal Summon it from hand.

It's searchable with Aratama, and it's gimmicky as hell but you can play Creature Swap (swapping Palezoics is fine too), and Legacy of Yata can give you a draw 2.

But the more straightforward approach is playing Moon Mirror Shield, there was a decklist I think playing this and Barrier Statue of the Torrent, etc.

It's worth noting that this deck can make Utopic F0.

Calvary is an out and would play it at 2

worst thing about mirror is dealing with a toad first turn

after that its all about knowing when to activate traps and resource managment

psychic shockwave and over capacity can be cute techs in the mirror.

5 hours ago, mark said:

yea who still plays BA anyway 

me