Sign in to follow this  
Mascis

battle of the rap/hip-hop acts on the scene since 2000 ROUND 1

mark    3104
5 minutes ago, Nelrick said:

Im actually interested in what 2 songs you heard from drake that were "good"

I've come to appreciate his songs, such as 'Find your Love' and 'Work' etc. Note that I don't really consider them to be real hiphop, or think he's very talented or anything, or that his blackberry freestyle he did isn't laughable as shit, but I like the overall relaxed vibe the songs hold. I think a lot of this is the fact I don't hate mainstream music anymore, It's like with Justin Bieber, I used hate that stuff because it was generally accepted his music sucks and is for 6-year old girls etc, but now to be honest I like songs such as 'Love Yourself', 'Where are you now', and when I hear them on the radio I don't mind at all. I think music can be overrated and still be good and enjoyable at the same time, as I said before I don't think Drake should win this thing, but I prefer his songs over someone screaming random shit with an annoying voice and terrible beats, or someone who just makes clips with cars and chains and says 'bling bling look at my cash' or stuff like that a few times. 

• Upvote 1

confuse ray    4211
18 minutes ago, Nelrick said:

Im actually interested in what 2 songs you heard from drake that were "good"

Drake has plenty of good songs and bars. This is my problem with people who are into alot of off the wall underground stuff, they can't acknowledge that some of the mainstream rappers are in fact good or better. 

• Upvote 3

Nelrick    2392
6 minutes ago, mark said:

I've come to appreciate his songs, such as 'Find your Love' and 'Work' etc. Note that I don't really consider them to be real hiphop, or think he's very talented or anything, or that his blackberry freestyle he did isn't laughable as shit, but I like the overall relaxed vibe the songs hold. I think a lot of this is the fact I don't hate mainstream music anymore, It's like with Justin Bieber, I used hate that stuff because it was generally accepted his music sucks and is for 6-year old girls etc, but now to be honest I like songs such as 'Love Yourself', 'Where are you now', and when I hear them on the radio I don't mind at all. I think music can be overrated and still be good and enjoyable at the same time, as I said before I don't think Drake should win this thing, but I prefer his songs over someone screaming random shit with an annoying voice and terrible beats, or someone who just makes clips with cars and chains and says 'bling bling look at my cash' or stuff like that a few times. 

Drake is ok as a singer he is just not a rapper and its incredible people would vote for him in a battle of rap/hiphop. Those songs are literally him singing and a catchy hook. Did you give CES cru a try?

• Upvote 1

Nelrick    2392
2 minutes ago, iSlickz said:

ex of a good drake song 

I respect that you have different tastes than me. But i dont find this "bars" even decent. Its the same mainstream lyrics about buying thing, haters hating, im a god etc. Its also ironic that you dont find this corny (maybe because drake is a real baller?)

+JC.    4777
14 minutes ago, Nelrick said:

JC confirmed for being a girl whose parents wont let her out at night, play violent videogames or listen to cursing in movies and music.

It's only really dawned on me over the past week or two. I don't know the word-maybe prude? I don't like cursing. I'm afraid to touch people because it seems too intimate. A friend was singing Raise Your Glass for an acapella group and hearing the lyric "panty snatcher" from her made me super uncomfortable and I almost had to leave. I only learned last month that a vibrator is not a dildo.

But I'm also all for jokes about dead babies and 9/11. Really not sure why I get so hung up.

confuse ray    4211

it's not all about bars and subject matter though. like future is actual literal garbage as a rapper but he has catchy songs and has come out with some bangers 

don't limit yourself to the strange music catalog

mark    3104

I've listened to at least 2 songs of every artist, although I'll admit it was just whatever 2-3 I could find quickly on youtube. Name me the best 2 Ces Cru songs and I'll give them a try, although I simply don't like his voice and I don't like the 'someone screaming' kind of hiphop. I even hate it when Eminem does it nowadays, and he used to be my favorite rapper of all time. 

If Drake isn't considered to be hiphop, that's a fair stance to take I think, but since he's nominated and allowed I'm going to assume that's a go. So I'll vote for whichever artists songs/music I like the best. 

Nelrick    2392
1 minute ago, iSlickz said:

it's not all about bars and subject matter though. like future is actual literal garbage as a rapper but he has catchy songs and has come out with some bangers 

While i do admit i mostly listen to underground shit i do enjoy plenty of mainstream catchy songs or bangers or whatever but i find it hard to listen to a song like one dance from drake and then think "man what a good rapper" rather than "man what this song would be amazing at a club" or "this man knows what the people like". I know its a meme to say it but there are good songs then there are good rap songs idk.

Haruki    9141
Just now, iSlickz said:

@Haruki

i was gonna nominate shabazz palaces but @Mascissaid "if you nominate someone who is a solo rapper now but was in a group in the 90s im not gonna accept it"

i guess if the rapper was in a group in the 90s but is in another group now it's an exception

shabazz palaces is my second favorite hip hop act since 2000 after lil b

• Upvote 1

mark    3104
4 minutes ago, iSlickz said:

I feel like content / the message someone's trying to get across is what separates GOATs from others, but that doesn't mean that songs with good messages but a bad beat and a voice I can't stand are suddenly good music to listen to. I mean if we were to have a 'best hiphop lyricsts without actually listening to the songs' contest I could understand, but I assume that's not the case. I also find it hard to appreciate someone doing wordplays and stuff anymore nowadays, after listening to Eminem/Biggie/Big L all my life, I'm just not easily impressed anymore by someone rhyming or coming up with a supposedly clever wordplay. Maybe that's the reason I like 'mainstream garbage' such as Future / Drake, because the beats are good and the entire songs are just very well put together. In my head I don't compare them to old school rappers, so I don't automatically think they suck. 

Nelrick    2392
20 minutes ago, mark said:

I've listened to at least 2 songs of every artist, although I'll admit it was just whatever 2-3 I could find quickly on youtube. Name me the best 2 Ces Cru songs and I'll give them a try, although I simply don't like his voice and I don't like the 'someone screaming' kind of hiphop. I even hate it when Eminem does it nowadays, and he used to be my favorite rapper of all time. 

If Drake isn't considered to be hiphop, that's a fair stance to take I think, but since he's nominated and allowed I'm going to assume that's a go. So I'll vote for whichever artists songs/music I like the best. 

since you said like 90s rap:

L.D. Stroy

Blood N Guts

Half Empty is also worth listening too

Neither of the above 3 are my favorite but after your post on liking beats and well put out songs i think i linked you the wrong stuff lol

My all time favorite however is

Thanatos (So many Daze) helped my through depression.

Edited by Nelrick

mark    3104

Took me a while to find but after listening to a few songs of his album 'The Playground', I've got to say that shit is pretty good. Definitely better than the songs I checked earlier. Also now that I'm looking at Drake's songs I'll admit he has a bunch of bad ones as well, and it's true that his 'best' songs are the least hiphop-ones, so if possible I'll change my vote, although not by much. Thanks for mentioning though. 

Unvote Drake
Vote Ces Cru 

+canasian    4105

I just realized that nobody nominated 2 chainz for this and now I'm very upset

• Upvote 3

website is bad    2169

mark youre fucking stupid get outta here.

"clipping. isnt music" good thing music has an accepted definition that clipping. very much falls under and youre not the god arbiter of meaning lmao.

• Upvote 2

Nelrick    2392

Who knew that our resident 4chan memer had the taste of a "disattached from the social dogma" and "no longer in need of contact with the material world"

#wallnoiseismusictoo

• Upvote 1

website is bad    2169

i have actually never posted on 4chan once in my life, thank you.

i just think "its not music" is the shittiest laziest baby response to being put out of your comfort zone, and anyone willing to use it should be reprimanded lol

• Upvote 4

Nelrick    2392
6 minutes ago, subculture bitch said:

i have actually never posted on 4chan once in my life, thank you.

i just think "its not music" is the shittiest laziest baby response to being put out of your comfort zone, and anyone willing to use it should be reprimanded lol

w8 really? 2ch then?

My (impression of you) is a total fucking lie shit

ftr i actually like clippin.

• Upvote 1

website is bad    2169

not 2ch either. ive never been an imageboard type of girl. and yeah i wasnt mad at you but mad at fucking "theyre not music" like really

• Upvote 1