Sign in to follow this  
Mascis

battle of the rap/hip-hop acts on the scene since 2000 ROUND 1

Mascis    4424

will someone who hasn't voted please vote so a tie is broken up

• Upvote 1

Nelrick    2392

Im making a deep meaningful song about the struggles of an up and coming melee player, the difficulties of the falco vs fox matchup etc

Ill be sure to send you my mixtape about it frogman

My MC name is lil froggie

Some of the songs:

"YGO baller"

"G.O.A.T.S"

"White struggle"

"white lives matter"

"HILL.ary"

"bitches and katanas"

"Top 33"

"Froggie style"

"getting dat rep"

"D G Z: life in the yugihood"

"reggie love"

"Videogames & guns"

"basement life"

"Bleached"

"thoughts create your emotions"

"living meme"

Edited by Nelrick
  • Upvote 2

Mascis    4424

kris p n reggie cummin threw wit the features on g.o.a.t.s?

• Upvote 1

Nelrick    2392
2 minutes ago, Mascis said:

kris p n reggie cummin threw wit the features on g.o.a.t.s?

i also have a feature with the fat whisperer, famous for his "fuck reggie" song. Frogman forgot to put him with all his deep and meaningful rappers.

Its called "middle class? more like fuck my life"

Edited by Nelrick
  • Upvote 2

+mmf    23364

top 33 more like top 5 dead or alive

• Upvote 1

+Satchmo    3213

Well I just actually read the thread.

k so let me break this shit down for you all, first off music in general is not some one defining feature, and hip hop is no exception. It's not about bars or cadence or street credibility, it's literally a combination of all those things, and the more you have going for you in the song, the better. This is what makes drake such a fucking powerful force in the music industry in general, because he has everything + R&B talent and can faux street relatability by associating with those acts and drawing from that culture. Regardless of if you just focus on 1 particular thing because hey that's what you like, that doesn't create a good song or artist. This is a lot of the reason you see Wale have like 0 respect from most hip hop fans because he has nothing but some Bars and a College Kid flow.

Beyond that, it's also about evolving and developing a "lane" whether that be a style or sound or whatever you cultivate or the niche you jump into. And beyond that experimenting, progressing and evolving that lane. I can hardly stand clippin. but they deserve to go waaaaay farther than fucking ces cru and mayday because of the way they artistically experiment and evolve compared to ces cru and mayday sounding like every other Tech N9ne fucking rip off, and I've heard about the same amount from both artists.

You might find this ridiculous, but I think Future, as an artist is just out right better than more than half the nominees, because he actually took active steps to build on the ideas Kanye toyed with in 808s and Heart and  intermingle that with Trap artistry to bring in the new wave of cadence-based hip hop, changed the wave to more drug influenced music as opposed to songs about selling drugs, and then AGAIN influenced mainstream culture with the hazy psychadelic trap that's popping right now when he dropped 56 Nights last year. ALL WHILE evolving and experimenting as an artist since his debut, which is a lot fucking more than Wale or J. Cole or The Game can say they did, despite how good all of them actually are in their own regard.

In terms of contemporary hip hop and trap, and how it portrays street life/violence, well what the fuck did you expect? " 15 year old who beat up an 8 year for snitching" lmao nigga did you just think this shit didn't happen? This is tame compared to some shit that I've actually seen happen. The reason shit like this is good/popular, and I'm specifically talking about Drill and hardcore Trap, is because it's some shit that people can understand and relate to, because it portrays actual shit that -could- happen, shit that people see happens. And when you combine that with the proper production, and an artist with mild talent can turn into a fantastic song like Computers, and yes Computers is a good Drill song.

Main points sumarized:

• The only bad hip hop artists are 1) anyone who exists solely in pop radio (think Pitbull or Flo Rida), 2) Any white rapper not named Logic, and Eminem, with a caveat for 2006->2011 Eminem and 3) 21 Savage until Metro Boomin actually cultivates him into something other than a nigga with a laptop and a microphone
  • Most of you are retarded
  • Gucci Mane deserves to win because he's actually literally the godfather of modern card theory
  • Upvote 4

Mascis    4424

statchmo dropping knowledge

seriously someone fucking break the tie i wanna get to round 2 already

Nelrick    2392
15 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

In terms of contemporary hip hop and trap, and how it portrays street life/violence, well what the fuck did you expect? " 15 year old who beat up an 8 year for snitching" lmao nigga did you just think this shit didn't happen? This is tame compared to some shit that I've actually seen happen. The reason shit like this is good/popular, and I'm specifically talking about Drill and hardcore Trap, is because it's some shit that people can understand and relate to, because it portrays actual shit that -could- happen, shit that people see happens. And when you combine that with the proper production, and an artist with mild talent can turn into a fantastic song like Computers, and yes Computers is a good Drill song.

You completely missed my point. I dont give a shit about violence portrayal i fucking live on a 3rd world country named colombia.  (do note that i dont want to post shit like the above that make it seem like boohoo you live in a tough country, but when you say shit like "its tame compared to some shit i have seen to a 3rd worlder its kinda laughable")

Its the complete disbelief that some honest to god white boy like frogman would find deep and meaningful songs, relatable songs in the artists he posted.

If you came here posting about how you found it relatable about artists whose familys were killed by insurgent groups who then had to move to city and "mendigar" for coins, i would call you out on your bullshit too.

No shit its popular.

I mean if frogman was doing the beating or receiving the beating then yeah sure i can see how he understands it and relates to it. I relate and understand my countrys rap scene too and its other music that comes from their deep ingrained violence their departments and cities experience (jk i dont)

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23364

no one gives future credit for improving as a lyricist in 2015-2016 but i think he clearly did

j cole is stepping his shit up but he shouldn't win a contest like this yet cause he gotta prove his CONSISTENCY

i was so on board with satchs post till he fire shots at MY MAN 21 SAVAGE AKA THE GREATEST RAPPER ALIVE

CUS THESE NIGGAS PUSSY AND HE HARD

• Upvote 2

Mascis    4424

lil uzi is the best outta the xxl freshman class this year but the xxl freshman class is garbo

+mmf    23364

Its the complete disbelief that some honest to god white boy like frogman would find deep and meaningful songs, relatable songs in the artists he posted.

If you came here posting about how you found it relatable about artists whose familys were killed by insurgent groups who then had to move to city and "mendigar" for coins, i would call you out on your bullshit too.

No shit its popular.

I mean if frogman was doing the beating or receiving the beating then yeah sure i can see how he understands it and relates to it. I relate and understand my countrys rap scene too and its other music that comes from their deep ingrained violence their departments and cities experience (jk i dont)

sorry for understanding more about this genre than you despite being an honest to god lucky and privileged as fuck white person

i mean i COULD have brought up the fact that i literally lived in the hood for 2 years, heard semi-regular gunshots outside the apartments of me and my friends, most of whom had multiple priors, etc

i COULD have brought up rappers whose bars i actually relate to, but i didn't and in fact never claimed once to be able to relate to 8 year old kids killing each other over drugs and guns in chicago, or indeed any of the artists i brought up at all

if i was going to talk about rappers whose music i find relatable it would be a bunch of shit that isn't actually good and doesn't deserve to be in this contest. as a white person i can obviously relate to macklemore and vibe with the shit he's talking about, but at the same time i don't actually think it's quality hip hop and i find it absolutely horrendous that he won best album over GKMC

luckily i don't have to relate to particular artists to be able to tell you cold hard facts about who the actual literal american hip hop community is feeling right now. this is not "subjective o woo u cant tell me my taste in music is rong" shit, i'm literally telling you if you go to the hoods in dc that i lived in and spoke to people there for five minutes they would tell you the same shit i'm telling you about wale

also it's particularly funny that you're unironically coming at me with the white shit when you literally don't fucking live in this country at all. be honest, did you even know that preteen violence was an actual problem in the inner city of chicago? because a bunch of people living here certainly don't, at least not until they listen to artists like mouse, herbo, etc.

when he was alive pac compared his music to video news coverage of the vietnam war, because in his time many people in america literally did not know about the sort of shit going on in the places he lived and frequented. it has always been part of the burden of hip hop as a genre to spread awareness of these issues and more. i'm lucky as fuck that i never had to know what was going on in chicago or detroit, and i'm also lucky to have been able to educate myself in part through of the music coming out of those cities

literally all you have on me is that "i cant relate to the artists i'm talking about." i sure as fuck can't and never claimed to, and i'm still able to tell you more about this genre than a good 3/4ths of the people responsible for the nominations for this contest

Mascis    4424

i saw a manslaughter and lived with a dude in a rap group ama

Nelrick    2392
3 minutes ago, mmf said:

sorry for understanding more about this genre than you despite being an honest to god lucky and privileged as fuck white person

i mean i COULD have brought up the fact that i literally lived in the hood for 2 years, heard semi-regular gunshots outside the apartments of me and my friends, most of whom had multiple priors

i COULD have brought up rappers whose bars i actually relate to, but i didn't and in fact never claimed once to be able to relate to 8 year old kids killing each other over drugs and guns in chicago, or indeed any of the artists i brought up at all

if i was going to talk about rappers whose music i find relatable it would be a bunch of shit that isn't actually good and doesn't deserve to be in this contest. as a white person i can obviously relate to macklemore and vibe with the shit he's talking about, but at the same time i don't actually think it's quality hip hop and i find it absolutely horrendous that he won best album over GKMC

luckily i don't have to relate to particular artists to be able to tell you cold hard facts about who the actual literal american hip hop community is feeling right now. this is not "subjective o woo u cant tell me my taste in music is rong" shit, i'm literally telling you if you go to the hoods in dc that i lived in and spoke to people there for five minutes they would tell you the same shit i'm telling you about wale

1. its ok i take the apology

2. i do too except i still live in it and worse things etc etc but i dont try and claim i found the equivalent of the artists you posted (the ones from my country) deep and meaningful. I wish living in the hood and all that gave me a free pass to suddenly understand the struggle of someone who had to move from the countryside because his whole village was gunned down maybe that way the world would have more love and less hate. maybe

3. maybe this is a different meaning in english situation but in spanish something that has meaning to you is because its relatable. something you can identify with thus has meaning to you. deep is whatever though, i think calling me a neophyte was deep.

4. You do realize this is not the hip hop american community right? No one is asking you about those hot hard facts this is simply what a random internet forum likes. You came in dropping memes and i just want to give those memes back. "YO guys your taste is wrong here is what the real burger community thinks is good"

A better way to put it would be that the opinions people have on music is subjective,  good and bad change between person. A big consensus from a place or group people doesnt necessarily make it true. "Your taste in music is wrong" is idiotic even as a meme. You can call it shit sure. but hey Satchmo seems to have figured it out about objectivity or at least intersubjectivity so teach me man. i wanna learn so i can show everyone that im patrician and they are all plebs.

I know what the colombian vallenato community (i imagine that by community you mean the places that are known to have knowledge on the subject) is feeling right now and its shit. crazy isnt it, its almost like it is a point of view that is subjective to each person's taste.

Nelrick    2392

*go to place*

*ask what they like*

ok i think i got it

*go to other place*

*they like something different*

fuck

*go to 3rd place*

*they like something not related to either of the above*

doble fuck

*they all claim that the others taste is wrong*

tfw still not being able to find the objective best hot dog

Edited by Nelrick
  • Upvote 1

+mmf    23364

hehe guyz i know wat subjective and objective mean look at how good i am at talking about music xfD

• Upvote 1

Nelrick    2392
28 minutes ago, mmf said:

hehe guyz i know wat subjective and objective mean look at how good i am at talking about music xfD

man if your memes are gonna be weaker than mine just accept defeat

I cant dissect your post on objectivity and subjectivity if you wont even bother, is this all the internet persona (or real life) of dennis the menace amounts to?

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23364

god dammit its not memes

u guys are just musically retarded

its like if everyone in the yugioh boards started posting about how good amazonesses are in goat format

like sure u can have that opinion

but it's wrong and gay af and im gonna tell u that

• Upvote 2

Nelrick    2392
Just now, mmf said:

god dammit its not memes

u guys are just musically retarded

its like if everyone in the yugioh boards started posting about how good amazonesses are in goat format

like sure u can have that opinion

but it's wrong and gay af and im gonna tell u that

You can measure what is the best in yugioh in an objective way though.

how do i know if your thoughts on the matter make sense if you dont even present it? Are you in college? How do you argue with your peers? Do you call them all retarded if they disagree with you without even stating why? 

You sound exactly like the people who come to post their decks here "u guys are just retarded lmao"

• Upvote 1

Nelrick    2392

If you were never gonna bother explaining what objectivity in rap is and why this particular musical acts are better than yours then man you got me.

• Upvote 1

mark    3104
22 minutes ago, Nelrick said:

Do you call them all retarded if they disagree with you without even stating why? 

I can answer that one, the answer is yes. And while I see what you're getting at, it's not true that you always need to explain why people are wrong, for example if someone is killing people you're going to expect they know not to, and doing so would be considered 'retarded'. (In before someone mentions 'lol killing people isn't music', examples are supposed to be extreme to show why one thinks something). For example, I could ask you to explain why you want people to explain their thought, yet you don't, because you consider it common sense. So the entirety of what must be explained and what is common sense is subjectively itself, although ironically that fact could be up to debate as well, depending on who you ask. 

Also while I do think music is ultimately subjective, because it's made for people to expres themselves, create emotions, having a pleasant time etc, I won't say that people can decide whether one type of music is better than another simply because they prefer it. There are a lot of factors, but the simplest example would be one of someone who watched the latest film and says it's the best ever. 'Yeah it's my opinion and my taste in films'. It will still be objectively wrong though. This concept is philosophically way too difficult to simply explain in a music post but I'll give a few examples as to why it's wrong: 

- has the person watched every movie? 

- does the person like the movie for reasons that tell you more about the person's situation rather than the movie itself? (Think about: falling in love with a hot actress, peer pressure liking something because your friends think it's cool, you not having the time or attention span to view a longer film, etc.). 

- does the person add sentimental value towards something because of memories (such as, a film reminding you of your ex because you used to watch it together, a film reminding you of your childhood, watching a film at a earlier/later point of your life where you have become more or less picky, or look for different things. 

- does the person understand the film, or what makes it so great? Maybe you don't understand something because you're too young, but at some point in your life you will: the film hasn't changed but your thoughts towards it have

So ultimately people itself decide what music is good, but that doesn't mean that music can't be good or bad despite people thinking it's the opposite, because someone's taste can differ, and someone can think music A is better than music B, but given equal circumstances, he would actually think B is better than A. 

• Upvote 2