Sign in to follow this  
Mascis

Not Everyone Can Be a Pokemaster (VGC2017 Midseason Showdown Report)

+Mascis    4564

alola friends!

for those who don't know, rapture started a discord server where some of us from dgz talk about pokemans. our goal is to develop teams for the VGC format and win a lot and be good at the game. lets face it ygo sucks, and pokemon's prize pool is better.

so i found about a week or two ago that there was a mid season showdown at a local ygo / mtg store in my area. for yugioh players, a mid season showdown is kinda like a big local / regional. it's different from league play (which is mainly for fun and testing) and it's not quite a pokemon regional (ycs level). Instead of invites to nationals (because anyone can go to nationals), they give out Championship Points. If you get 500 championship points, you get an invite to the world championships. Got that? Cool.

so i decided i wanted to go to this mid season showdown, and what do you know, Chris (@thoroughly modern afgncaap) and Peter (@canasian) decide that they are gonna go since they are home from school.

with that settled, chris and i put together a team that looks like this:

738.png553.png233.png105-a.png788.png797.png

we were pretty high on vikavot as offensive electric attacker. life orb with STAB Thunderbolt/Discharge and Bug Buzz seemed pretty good at first, even though vika is slow as shit. P2 is the best trickroom setter and is on like over 50% of teams in this VGC 2017 meta, so that seemed like an auto include to help vika. P2 also helps slow as shit Celesteela and Marowak-A. Ceelestela is the best Skarmory of all time so I want it on all of our teams. Tapu Fini is a literal bae. A lot of things in this format rely on satus effects to get the edge over you and fini says no. She can either be bulky or hit like a truck with Specs. We picked bulky on this team because we figured we could hit things with Nature's Madness (Fairy Super Fang) and pick up easy KOs through double targeting. Krook is here because Black Hole Eclipse (Z Move) kills oranguru and Z-Taunt shuts down Porygon 2 while getting us +1 atk. Intimidate is also a good thing!

but then rapture calls us bad and gives us this team he's been working on:

778.png797.png785.png038-a.png445.png130.png

importable:

Gyarados @ Lum Berry  
Ability: Intimidate  
Level: 50  
EVs: 52 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 180 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Waterfall  
- Dragon Dance  
- Protect  
- Ice Fang

Ninetales-Alola @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Snow Warning  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Blizzard  
- Freeze-Dry  
- Aurora Veil  
- Protect  

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Rough Skin  
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Dragon Claw  
- Rock Slide  
- Poison Jab  

Celesteela @ Leftovers  
Ability: Beast Boost  
EVs: 228 HP / 44 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Substitute  
- Leech Seed  
- Heavy Slam  
- Protect  

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z  
Ability: Disguise  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Shadow Claw  
- Destiny Bond  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Taunt  

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb  
Ability: Electric Surge  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Thunderbolt  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Protect  
- Volt Switch  

- So Mimikyu is the cutest Pokemon ever. It already starts the game with substitute, so it lets you do shit on the first turn without any fear of being KO'd. You get to obliterate lele with Never-Ending Nightmare and Taunt down P2. Will-o-Wisp is important to hit on things like Kartna, Cele, and Garchomp. Shadow Claw also deals with Wak. You can trick people with Z-Destiny Bond and get some good trades out of mimi if the postion isn't good for you to. I was skeptical at first but i like him a lot now.

- Celesteela is celesteela and lets you play for the long game with leech seed / sub / protect. seriously, i won a game in testing because i pp stalled my opponent out of recovers. he's annoying to deal with and STAB Heavy Slam hits a lot of popular things in the format. Pretty much every team needs an answer to him, or even multiple answers.

- Tapu Koko is a good boy. Life orb with STAB bolt hits like a truck. D-Gleam does great Spread damage. Volt Switch over Discharge here because we don't wanna soak up charges, and volt switch lets us get better positioning.

- Ninetales is beautiful. Although a bit frail, you get to hit things with blizzard which is fun. Freeze-Dry deals with annoying waters if koko is down (or if koko can't touch, like gastrodon). Aurora Veil is kinda great since the defense on this team isn't the best. Sash ensures that we almost always get to beat Kartna becuase Blizzard does a ton to it. if we break it's sash we win with chip damage from hail. Ninetales is match up dependent and ultimately a glass cannon, but it's still a very good poke most of the time

- Have you read garchomp? Seriously, great typing, great ability, great ATK, great design. It was banned from OU once. Garchomp is mainly here for spread damage via EQ and Rock Slide. P Jab and D Claw give you coverage. The Speed stat and Scarf let you out speed Koko, which is good because gleam kills you and EQ kills them.

- Gyrados kinda sucks. It hits pretty poorly if it's not +1 ATK. This set is designed to have Gyrados be able to take some hits while setting up DD. Waterfall is the best STAB and Ice Fang is a nice coverage option, but ultimately he is only here to intimidate and not get killed by EQ. Being a water has great utility but i think it's the team's weakest link since we are very weak to electric with it here.

rapty, chris, and I test this team a lot so chris and I decide to go with it for the event. I cook these dudes for a literal week. Chris helps me max the PP and we are off to the races.

------------

so day of the tournament it is snowing all day. i get to the venue at like 10, and they want to start at 10:30 according the website. i already pre-reg, so did chris, but peter hasn't. since chris and peter are heading in from NJ it's gonna take them awhile to get there. i'm nervous because a lot of people show up. i ask the TO when they are going to start and they say they don't know but they are trying to make sure all the pre-reg'd people play before they let the people who just showed up play. he says that there are 72 chairs fro players and 86 people here to play (split among the 3 age levels).

they are about to print the player list when the printer breaks. god is real.

Printer: 1, TO: 0

Chris and peter show up in the nick of time! Chris is able to play because he pre-reg but they won't let peter play so he becomes my dad for the day. this is actually a good thing, chris told me, as peter would have done bad after not testing at all and would have complained the whole car ride back. whatever. we start at 12.

69 players (nice)

ROUND 1 aka Chris is a "Lil Homie Gay Ass"

chris and I are sitting next to each other. alola friend!

His team:

773.png785.png798.png059.png663.pngAlola Form

Game 1:

I bring, 778.png785.png130.png445.png

he brings, 663.png785.png798.png773.png

he starts off with Talonflame and Koko to my Mimi and Koko. Mimi eats a Bravebird, then my Koko picks off Talonflame with TBolt. His Koko knocks out Mimi with Steel Wing. He brings in Kartana to which i respond with Garchomp. I protect with Koko and Garchomp picks up the KO on his Koko with EQ. He tries to do damage to chomp with leaf blade but he gets hurt by rough skin lol. In comes Silvally. I switch to Dos and and Intimidate his boys. Give them both an EQ but they survive, he double targets and i find out it's Dragon Silvally from Multi Attack. Kartan dies to rough skin, but Syl KOs Chomp. Koko comes in and Waterfall + Gleam finishes him off.

Game 2:

I bring, 778.png785.png130.png445.png

he brings, 663.png773.png798.png059.png

he misplays turn 1 by not selecting a move in time for talonflame. He brave birds into koko which doesn't kill it. Koko volt switches out into Gyrados. Mimi shadow claws sylvally but it takes nothing. He iron heads mimi to bust it. He throws in kartana. I just dragon dance with Gyrados and Will-o-Wisp Kartna. Turns out mimi is faster than Kartana boys! I get the burn but he KOs Mimi anyway. Koko comes in for mimi, i take out kartana with bolt next turn.  Dos hits Sil with waterfall, it doesn't do a ton at +1 but i get the flinch! Arcanine comes in and i get intimidate. I Dazzling Gleam to kill Syl and then waterfall on arcanine. ez win

1-0

"dottie did it"

chris lost cause he sucks

ROUND 2 aka "Fisting in Public"

there isn't a chair at the table so i have to squat while we are setting up. thankfully, i took a class on how to be a hype beast so im a good squater.  i get a chair and we are off to the races

His team:

781.png788.png059.png445.png797.png785.png

Game 1:

I bring, 778.png785.png445.pngAlola Form

he brings, 781.png785.png797.png ?

my notes are terrible for this game, im sorry. i think he manages to sit on mimi with cele after i miss play when i didn't read a switch. anchor shot is a good move, blizzard is not super great vs. dhelmise for whatever reason. I lose.

Game 2:

I bring, 778.pngAlola Form785.png445.png

he brings, 781.png785.png797.png445.png

again, bad notes for this game as well.  he volt switches into cele on ninetails and i try to shadow claw koko but it does nothing to cele. same with blizzard lol. blizz doesn't even do much to dhelmise ard. next turn i blizz again but it doesn't KO dhel wtf. WoW misses cele so he sits on mimi and does an anchor shot to kill ninetails. I have to tbolt the cele slot but he switches to chomp. I end up forced to rockslide with chomp but i keep missing and he every rock slide so once he kills koko it's basically over since i can't out cele reliably. oh well!

1-1

my wife wrote "i love you" in my notebook hell yeah

ROUND 3 aka "How Lucas Got His Groove Back"

this guy asks me if all x-2 make it and im like "i mean yeah probably" so he is like "shit"

his team:

324.png197.png376.png350.png786.png233.png

Game 1:

I bring, 778.png785.png797.png445.png

he brings, 233.png197.png324.png786.png

this is what my team wants to fight all day, P2 and Lele combos zzz. I start with a D glaem to do about 25% to Umbreon. I taunt his P2 to stop trick room. Umbreon uses SNARL. I volt switch on umbreon to into Cele and i activate his KEE BERRY which boosts Umbreon's DEF. He uses moonlight to get health back, i WoW P2 thinking it was a switch. His P2 busts me with Shadow Ball, lame. Next turn I Z-destiny bond trynna to bait some shit from Umbreon but he just snarls again. I seed his Umbreon and his P2 kills Mimi with Shadow Ball so P2 is down. He brings his Torkol out and I bring out Koko. I protect with Cele, he protects with Koko. Nothing happens because he snarls while i use Volt Switch into Protect. Now i Sub with Cele and Volt Switch on Tork. Volt does 50% to Tork. He heatwaves and breaks the sub, moonlight gets a bunch of his health back. Next turn he protects with Torkal and I EQ. I get the sub with Cele. EQ does nothing to Umbreon basically and he gets  toxic off on chomp. Next turn he fails to protect with tork so i pick up the KO on tork and crit umbreon but it's still alive. he moonlights a ton of health back. In comes lele. He protects with lele while I EQ again. Heavy Slam into protect. I just keep EQing, i get a crit on lele and Cele picks up the KO with Slam. So yeah it's Seeded Umbreon vs. Cele and Koko now so you know how it goes!

Game 2:

i bring, 778.png797.png445.png785.png

he brings, 786.png376.png324.png233.png

Never-Ending Nightmare DESTROYS LELE. Zen Hedbutt does a ton to Cele but i get seeds up. In comes torkal. I protect with Cele and get a Crit on Meta with shadow claw. Heatwave misses Mimi and Meta attacks into Cele's protect. Next he switches in P2 for Meta. I go with the Sub on Cele and Shadow Claw Tork. He Eruptions to break the sub and Eruption doesn't kill mimi somehow. I destiny bond with mimi next turn and sub again with Cele. He heat waves to break the sub and kill mimi, so mimi takes torkal with him. P2 ends up using TR. I bring in chomp and EQ. He Ice Beams Chomp but it survives because p2 got the ATK boost lol so i get seeds up on p2 and EQ picks off metagross. It's 3-1 and one of my mons is celesteela so i win!

2-1

ROUND 4 or "Snowman Eater was the bast rare from Raging Battle"

his team:

788.png798.png059.png738.png526.png478.png

Game 1:

I bring, 778.png130.png445.png785.png

he brings, 798.png059.png788.png738.png

i start with dos and mimi so he immediately switches arc to fini. I tried to WoW Kartana but misty terrain is the best terrain. Set up a dance with dos. I think i can get away with another dance but he doubles into dos becuase it turns out Fini is actually specs! Dos goes down and I taunted a specs fini lol. I bring in Koko. Next turn he switches to Vikavolt and i Volt Switch on Vikavolt out to Chomp. He blades Chomp and I shadow claw kartana and do nothing because -1. He switches Kartana out to Arcanine and a Never-Ending Nightmare Vikavolt which at -2 does nothing! I activate the weird berry on Vika tho so that's cool. He uses STRING SHOT but Chomp dips it an mimi slows down. He Keeps switching in and out againts me, lowering my speed with Vikavolt and i basically can't do anything to his bulky bois so i end up losing.

Game 2:

I bring, Alola Form797.png130.png445.png

He switches out Kartana this time for Fini. I switch cele out for Dos, he flamethrowers the Cele slot which is Dos now so lol. Blizzard does jack shit damage. He switches Arcanine out for Kartana. I freeze-dry Fini which does a good chunk. Waterfall his Kartana for a little bit. Moonblast hits Dos for a good chunk. He switches Fini out for Arcanine and Kartana picks off Dos. Blizzard doesn't kill Kartana so i think it might be vest to some shit. The chip from hail doesn't get it either. I bring in garchomp. He switches Arc out for vikavolt and i protect and EQ. EQ gets kartana. In comes Arcanine. I read that he isn't gonna do shit with Arcanine so i switch into a Cele and Veil up with tales. He protect with Arcanine lol. He thinks im gonna switch back to Chomp, which he is right about because i switch it in for Cele, so he protects with vika and switches arcanine for fini. this makes sense because then he can switches arcanine back in and moonblast will pick off chomp. HOWEVER, im not fuckin lame and i freeze-dry the arcanine slot so when he switches in fini he GETS GOT and fini goes down. He brings in arcanine now, so i switch chomp out for cele. Ninetails goes down to a flamethrower from arcanine. So now i have scarf chomp and i just rock slide him to death.

Game 3:

I bring, 130.png797.png445.png785.png

so i next level'd myself here. i thought that he wasn't gonna bring the same 4 because i thought he was gonna adjust to the team i brought. Instead, he brings the same 4 and i bring 4 that get wrecked bu these morons. my notes aren't great here but all in all he outplays me. i get into a position where im locked into EQ and he has vikavolt up soooooooooooooooooooooooooo yeah i lose

2-2

chirs drops becuase he's x-3 and him and peter head out since they have to drive back in the snow. nice meeting you guys you two are cool <3

ROUND 5 or "The Moon IS Clouds"

im playing this girl and she has a choker with a crescent moon thing on it so all im thinking about is clouds.

her team:

787.png171.png297.png793.png750.png797.png

Game 1:

i bring, 778.png785.png445.png797.png

she brings, 297.png793.png171.png797.png

her hariyama is shiny so she's a hacker for sure probably. i do the standard protect with koko and shadow claw on nhil. she fake outs into protect and busts mimi with nhilego. next i d gleam and do enogh so the burn will ko hari at the end of the turn. she sludge bombs koko to kill. Nightmare kills nhilego which was life orb'd soooooo. she knocks off mimi but it does like 50%.  she puts in SHINY lanturn and not shiny cele now. I bring in chomp. she protects with lanturn and i rock slide and get the flinch on cele. I also taunt cele. I slide again and i flinch lanturn lol. I manage to WoW Cele now so she sits on mimi with cele in retaliation and gets a SpD boost lol (this is a set chris showed me with flamethrower and no protect which we deemed as shit!). She manages to KO chomp with Ice beam and Heavy Slam combo but i get to leech seed her cele. Now i just play safe and stall out here cele, making sure she can't seed me back due to protect and sub. lanturn sucks so it can't OHKO cele with tbolt haha

Game 2:

I bring:778.pngAlola Form797.png785.png

she brings, 297.png793.png171.png797.png

i thought she would adjust but nah. She breaks my protect with feint from hari and picks up the free ko on tails. Nightmare gets Nhil again. I bring in Cele and Lanturn comes in for her. I switch out for Koko and WoW the lanturn. She now switches out hari for cele and i d gleam. I manage to activate the sitrus berry on lanturn but lanturn KOs koko with scald. My cele comes in. I taunt her cele and protect with mine. She scalds to bust mimi and picks it off with a cele slam lol. I try my best to come back with just cele but it's hard when she has flamethrower!

Game 3:

i bring, 778.png785.png445.png797.png

she brings, 793.png797.png297.png171.png

I start off with protect from koko and she protects with nhil. she busts mimi with slam. mimi taunted cele. I trade my Koko for her Cele lol and mimi shadow claws nhil down a lil. I bring in cele and she brings in hari. She fake outs cele and kills mimi with nhilego. I bring in chomp and EQ. She feints with Hari on chomp, which means she doesn't know im scarf chomp i guess and i EQ to pick off nhil and do a bunch to hari which i seed. She brings in lanturn. I EQ and OHKO lanturn and she gets visibly salty. EQ brings hari down a lot and she use close combat on chomp and hari kills iteslef with rough skin. S

Lady didn't shake my hand dam

3-2

ROUND 6 also " 'I'm not salty because of hax, i'm salty becuase you're salty about the hax on me' - Trista Medine after losing round 7"

im playing trista who is a pretty good player but she is also a player who gets tilted easily. this was probably the hardest match i fought all day.

her team:

526.png373.png786.png233.png797.pngAlola Form

Game 1:

i bring, 778.png785.png445.png130.png

she brings, 233.png373.pngAlola Form526.png

I thought i was favored here but she is the toughest player i faced all day. I taunted P2 and D gleamed even though it was obvious. She switched out salamence for wak and used tri attack on my koko. next turn i switch out for gyrados, wak protects and ice beam bust mimi while i shadow clawed into protect. i probably could have just WoW'd there on p2 or switch mimi out instead of koko but yeah lol.

She takes out her wak and brings mence back in, then swtiches p2 for gigalith. Shadow claw did nothing to mence and i dance. I ignored gigalith and ice fang't the slot that mence was she. She switches mence out for p2 and rock slides which KOs dos. From here on out, i can't really touch her mence which is the problem. all of her swtiches are great now so i end up forfeiting this game because i didn't wanna give away that my chomp was scarf.

Game 2:

I bring:778.pngAlola Form445.png797.png

She brings: 373.png233.png526.pngAlola Form

I realized when i brought ninetales it might be bad because gigalith, but i needed a better out to mence since it got me good last game. First move is switching mence out for gigaltih and busting mimi with ice beam from p2. predictably, i just taunt. I switch ninetales out for cele and she switches in wak for p2. I WoW the gigaltih this turn. Next turn gigaltih switches out for mence. I try and Never-Ending Nightmare Wak but -2 mimi won't kill wak! I manage to seed mence but she uses flare bllitz on cele and takes it out. Wak kills itself in the process though. I bring in Ninetales and she brings in p2. I try and and freeze-dry the salamence spot but she switches in gigaltih. mimi taunts p2 again but her tri attack hits ninetails and paras me. gigaltih sits on mimi after i wow p2 and p2 picks off ninetails after i i freeze-dry again. So now it's 1 vs 3 and one her pokemon is mence so i lose again.

3-3

We talk after about the set and i was just like "yeah i thought my team had a good match up but i got out played" and "i wish mence didn't fly"

so x-3 is dangerous in this tournament. only top 32 get championship points because we had enough players for it. basically, if i want to get points, i HAVE to win next round.

ROUND 7 "is Aaron 'Cybertron' Zheng here?"

No. he wasn't here. he didn't show up. instead i watched him eat a sandwich and later we hung out to watch the feature match.

iWnARNB.jpg

brony?

so i win

4-3

cool shit.

i check the standings after they come out and i'm 29th. Just eeked in baby. not terrible for my first VGC tournament honestly. i wish i did better but fuckin who cares yo i got 18 points!

sweet

PROPS:

my wife for letting me use her likeness as my trainer in the game which confused the hell out of people (she's never gonna read this)

Chris, seriously without you i don't think this would have been possible

Peter, thanks for being the best dad

@rap tap thank you for calling me bad and making this team

grimey (who im not gonna tag) thank you for being you. you didn't do anything to help or anything but thank you

aaron "cybertron" zheng, thank you for not showing up

garchomp, thank you for being a shark you rock

mimikyu, you're so cute

discord

dgz

grindr

allen c pennington for keeping the site alive

rei for almost killing it

@Vice Captain Sanada hey whats up

the printer for breaking

the sopranos because i watched an ep the night before i went to this

18 points!

SLOPS:

...18 points

gyrados fuckin sucks

tournament wasn't ran very well

snow

snow burying my car

having to dig my car out of the snow in the cold

the girls didn't wanna touch me

not getting on steam

fisting in public

sweet im done this

guess i gotta go play mafia now

love you

- Lucas

O8aB5co.png

• Upvote 10

»JC.    5209

congrats dude you did well!

don't worry about making predictable plays. sometimes you need to in order to not next-level yourself

you'll do even better next time, i'm sure!

1 hour ago, Mascis said:

ROUND 2 aka "Fisting in Public"

there isn't a chair at the table so i have to squat while we are setting up. thankfully, i took a class on how to be a hype beast so im a good squater.  i get a chair and we are off to the races

you know who else squats? ya boi!

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/158/009/2e0.jpg

• Upvote 4

»canasian    4105

the moon is clouds

• Upvote 3

»canasian    4105

and Lucas is a cool duder good meeting you!

• Upvote 2

+Mascis    4564
8 hours ago, JC. said:

congrats dude you did well!

don't worry about making predictable plays. sometimes you need to in order to not next-level yourself

you'll do even better next time, i'm sure!

you know who else squats? ya boi!

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/158/009/2e0.jpg

thanks homie, i promise i will do better

im finna be mercin playas with ariados in brooklyn soon. this philly boy takin ova nyc bitch shout out to ya boi guzma

2 hours ago, canasian said:

the moon is clouds

the moon IS clouds!

it was great meeting you and chris. 3/3 on positive social interactions facilitated by dgz

• Upvote 1

+scuzzlebutt    23506

i think its spelled murk not merc

• Upvote 1