Sign in to follow this  
NB96

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue

NB96    806

Available only on PlayStation 4, from the 24th January 2017.

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread for this, maybe the people on this website haven't played the series. Here's the latest, final trailer for the game:

I'm right in the middle of a tough year of University work but I know this game is going to distract me to no end. Is anyone else going to get it?

I'm excited to continue the saga but I would like to see them stop with the spin-offs and get on with Kingdom Hearts 3, I'm desperate to save the day and see the epic conclusion to the story!

I expect this game to be great value for money, not only do you get Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep - A fragmentary passage, you'll also get Kingdom Hearts HD Dream Drop Distance, a HD Remaster of Kingdom Hearts 3D for the 3DS. Furthermore you'll also get Kingdom Hearts X Back Cover, a movie telling the story of the mysterious foretellers who are threatened by a traitor within that will lead to the devastating Keyblade War.

Edited by NB96

»Tygo    14313

Yeah if I save up enough money, I'm aiming to buy a PS4 for this.

+Digbick    7376

Kingdom Hearts 2.956756474 : We ain't finished making 3 yet

• Upvote 2

Aaron    1983

honestly tho im really scared for kh3. 

the games are just so dated... that repetitive bullshit was fine in the ps2 era but i hope they really have stepped up their game for ps4. 

battle system wise kh2 quick time events were awful and i keep seeing them on trailers... when BBS combat system was excellent.

potentialy to be phenomenal but i want KH3 to offer more than exhilerating boss fights this time round. 

regardless i will buy and marathon. 

• Upvote 1

ThatOneGuy    2019
51 minutes ago, Aaron said:

battle system wise kh2 quick time events were awful and i keep seeing them on trailers

Good ol' Triangle Button Simulator

I think getting a PS4 + this would make for a decent bday gift.

NB96    806

The guy making KH3 and the FFVII Remake has said they are still a way off yet. My prediction is KH3 in late 2018 at the earliest.

Iirc KH3 was announced in 2013 lol... at least they already admitted they revealed it earlier than they should have in hindsight.

Also for anyone who doesn't at all care about spoilers, there are full playthroughs available easily to watch on YouTube if you want. As well as the full movie, Kingdom Hearts X Back Cover. I've avoided them though.

Edited by NB96

Kahu    2422

2.8 gameplay videos have the battle system outlined and uh.

They seem to imply the KH3 battle system is a mix of KH2, BBS, and 3D.

The basic core of the gameplay is the same as KH2. Attack, Magic, Items, Etc. instead of the command roulette that was used in BBS, Re:Coded, and 3D.

Quicktime events seem to return in some capacity but eh.

A bunch of the forms and such seem to be implemented ala BBS, with certain combos linking into certain forms which then link into certain finishers.

Shotlock makes a return.

Freeflow and the parkour seems to return to a degree in certain locations.

Aaron    1983

yeah i dont expect KH3 for ages. 

It could have potentially missed this generation if Sony/MS didn't release their .5 consoles. 

Its weird because as much as I am a KH fanboy, I can't understand the delays when u compare it to the complexity of a game like FF15. 

We all know KH is going to be explore artificial linear world -> find boss - > beat boss -> watch cut scene and repeat, uncover a few plot twists along the way. 

Edited by Aaron

NB96    806

Bought this game today, played through 0.2 and watched X Back Cover. With regards to Kingdom Hearts X Back Cover, I'm told that to understand a little bit more of the story you must play Kingdom Hearts X [chi], however I think most of the questions are still unanswered. Bear in mind that my review of it is from the perspective of somebody who hasn't played that game. My thoughts:

• I completed 0.2 in 2hrs 45m... I knew it wasn't going to be a full length story because their main focus is KH III but that was disappointing to say the least. I also don't think it told us a great deal that we didn't already know; there's a handful of new things but not really any big revelations. Most single player games are 10+ hours to my knowledge; 6/7 would have been fine given this game wasn't their main focus and this left me rather disappointed.
  • Kingdom Hearts X Back Cover had potential but failed to deliver. It's a hair over 1 hour long but it needed an extra 30mins to tell more in my opinion. I felt the story was told exceptionally poorly; it was like told as if it dedicated each chapter to each character but would have been better if it just followed the order of events like most normal movies. Speaking of the order, you are brought back and forth from the present to past, to present to past over and over. It gets not only repetitive, but is another example of the story not being told well. I much prefer for film to follow the order of events. I understood the general idea of the story but it also felt both convoluted and confusing. The greatest sin of X Back Cover however, is that it gives you a lot of mysteries but fails to answer virtually every single one... the most sudden and unsatisfying ending I've seen to a film perhaps in my entire life; the ending is genuinely that bad. This is also bad news for KH III, which will have to answer all these questions during the story as well as find Terra, Aqua and Ventus, and defeat Xehanort and his 12 Vessels. They have probably left themselves with too much to do storywise. I'm concerned.
  • I haven't played DDD yet so I wont comment.

Overall I'm disappointed to report that I wouldn't recommend this game at retail price (I paid £45). The gameplay of 0.2 is fun but because it ends so soon I felt unsatisfied. If you are a fan of the series you can watch Back Cover on Youtube (it has been available there for almost two weeks). You're getting 3 hours worth of a new game, an unsatisfying and poorly told story in Back Cover (you can tell these people have no experience making films) and a DS game released in 2012 (I think) which you can probably buy for the equivalent of £10 at your local store if they have it in stock.

If you have already played DDD I would probably just watch 0.2 and Back Cover on Youtube and save yourself a good deal of money. With hindsight, I might have bought Resident Evil 7 from the store instead.

5/10: don't be a fanboy and buy so soon; wait for a price drop because the game shouldn't have been more than £25-30.

Edited by NB96

NB96    806
On 11 January 2017 at 1:08 AM, Tygo said:

Yeah if I save up enough money, I'm aiming to buy a PS4 for this.

Quoting so you get the notification to see my post above and heed my advice.

• Upvote 1

».ben.    7475

Does anyone have a good synopsis of the KH story so far? There apparently was a good one floating around but it seems to have been removed from googledocs.

Written would be cool - because half of these names all sound the same to me after a certain point.

»Pharaoh Atem    15836
3 hours ago, .ben. said:

Does anyone have a good synopsis of the KH story so far? There apparently was a good one floating around but it seems to have been removed from googledocs.

Written would be cool - because half of these names all sound the same to me after a certain point.

@.ben.

your king has gotchu, fam

kh_explained.png

• Upvote 1

Faint    5719

I hadnt played DDD so got enjoyment out of it, loved the flow motion stuff. 0.2 was a nice preview for the gameplay of kh3. Honestly though i thought 0.2 should've been cinematic and the foretellers shouldve been playable (master of masters as the next main villain after xehonort...). 

Honestly am expecting kh3 in 2018 as there is nothing else they can do for this