Sign in to follow this  
banefulscolumn

Flaws of Goat Format. What would you change about it?

+rei+    35453
On 9/15/2017 at 1:03 AM, Mickey said:

I would ban every otk ftk alt win decks 

don't get mad, get better

Mickey    8

Tbh how do you get better at those decks sure I can side in my neko mane kings and my threatening roars but if I don't draw them and they have the combo to win well i'm out of luck. there would be nothing I can do to win at that point. Plus I know that goat format that standard goat is geared to beat other goat decks but I wouldn't mind side deck cards still geared to certain other decks that don't play by themselves even if it's only a 5 percent win rate increase.

+Mascis    4385

you put the cards in your deck so you can draw them. novel concept imo

+ACP+    34068

I will never understand why Yugioh players want to ban tier 3 decks.

+mark    3103

goat minus mark edition:

ban chaos sorcerer

Brandis72    10

I think everyone can agree that Pot/Duo, although they are key to making MoF fast and powerful (and making flip/flop decks prominent), unfortunately take it a bit too far, sometimes creating downright unfair gamestates.

So... what about taking the stock Goat Minus list (the altwin/Chaos Sorcerer hits) and then simply getting rid of pot too, compensating the loss of the two setup-free, lowest skill power spells with two more copies of Graceful Charity.

Graceful Charity is a card that is normally best used to answer dangerous situations by digging for answers; using it to plus requires setup (Sinister, possibly Night Assailant, which might actually become a staple with triple graceful), and can also can possibly interfere with other engine pieces (Metamorphosis being the main example). Another advantage of Graceful Charity is that, in general , it doesn't benefit very much from being activated multiple times per turn and this comes in sharp contrast with the ridiculousness of resolving Pot/Duo in the same turn, one of the main complaints people make about the cards.

You can automatically lose to early Pot/Duo loops, but Graceful without also being accompanied by an early serpent is perfectly manageable (far lower odds than early Pot/Duo abuse), and this should reduce the amount of ''ruined'' games while also keeping MoF's power, and encouraging as much skillful decision making as possible (Charity discards can be used by the opponent to make reads on your hand; Charity is a far more complex card to decide when to activate than Pot/Duo, and also takes a fair bit of skill to resolve properly).

While Charity does enable some pretty crazy comboes, the win conditions of the decks that use them (chaos variants, altwin) are now gone, and as such only the positives of the unlimit will be felt (fairer and possibly more skillful goat control mirrors), rather than the unfortunate combo-enabling nature of the card.

Edited by Brandis72

I think Graceful is stronger than Pot. Pot's an auto +1, but Graceful lets you see one more option, and gives you a chance to set up another option immediately or later (BLS, Premature/Call/FLIPs for Night Assailant) via its discard. As happy as I am to see Pot, like you said, Graceful helps you dig for answers. If I'm winning, I don't need Pot, if I'm losing, I'd rather see Graceful. In MtG if I was a blue player, multiple Graceful activations would be pretty great (Ponder and Preordain got banned pretty quick, effects closer to Graceful in literal execution were great). The right cards are more important than any immediate +1, +2 off a single card (multiple activations); the option-diminishing aspect of Duo is what makes it so cruel. A random -1, -2 off a single card is horrible.